The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ, im 14 and is college worth it?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You can't even write a coherent forum post.

Seriously?

I'd like to see you write a coherent post ... except do it in Korean.

At 14 he either knows A) how to write basic English as a second language or B) how to use Google translate.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
im 14 and should i 'study for college'?

I don't know and even if I did, I couldn't tell you.

Since you live in Korea, I'm not privy to the norms and customs there.

Does college cost a lot of money?

What do you want from life?

Do you go into army before or after?

My advice is to not make any decisions until you are at least 18 and educated to the level of college. You can change a lot in 4 years. Perspectives and goals change, dreams, etc.

Good luck my friend.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Passionfrt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Sep 11, 2020
Seoul
I am not asking for yes or no
I'm asking is it going to college and studying school subjects helpful to make money the 'fastlane way'
or
since i have not gone to high school yet
is it better if i study about money and some things related to my enterprise, app ,or website more during this time and try to build my system?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I'm asking is it going to college and studying school subjects helpful to make money the 'fastlane way'
or
is it better if i study about money and some things related to my enterprise, app ,or website more during this time and try to build my system?

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't really have to wait to study 'entrepreneurship.' You can read about it right now, and you can probably try things right now. If you decide to go to college, you still will not have wasted your time learning about business, sales, building relationships, negotiating, managing your time, working consistently toward your goals, etc. In fact, many of the entrepreneur's skills make college easier, and would make it easier to get into college.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
or
It's actually FANTASTIC you are asking this question early at 14!
At that age, I've never even thought of that-right until after high school.

The reality is that most folks exit high school without truly having real-life skills, discipline or critical thinking. Not everyone can quickly learn marketable skills on the fly to start earning money immediately.

So they need some 'transit channel' of sorts.

While college offers some 'safe ground' for folks to transit into adulthood and equip them with some professional skills (notice the keyword 'some'), you'd feel rather stifled if you want to 'do extra'.

Of course, if you intend to enter industries like engineering, finance or medicine, college is a must.

For myself, college is a great place to learn with professors who were good in both academics and industry (depending what institution you pick). What I didn't like about college was the general attitude of the students...during group assignments, you see all the cowardice, laziness, politics and copycats coming out of them.

College costs are always gonna be expensive not just because of tuition, but because of living costs.
You can try out for scholarships, but of course, you'd have to spend more time studying to push up grades and co-curriculars...time that you could spend on learning Fastlane stuff.

You'd have to plan carefully how to have enough time to study for scholarships and do Fastlane at the same time.

Do you go into army before or after?
Apparently you can delay it up until 28 years of age.
One could try to finish college, and then go into national service.
Or do 1-2 years in college, and then do the NS before continuing studies.

National service could also be a good networking place, provided you know how to filter and find the right people amongst the barracks.

I remember I went for an Adam Khoo pre-sale seminar (he's a Singaporean guru), and the speaker there said he first met Adam in the Air Force (Singapore practices a similar NS model).

D

Deleted78083

I haven't read the answers other people wrote so i might repeat what someone else already said. In any way, i think you should ask yourself first "what do I want in life?" For example, when I was your age, i wanted to become a comedian, so i signed up for theater classes and acting agencies. Then I stopped wanting that and did other stuff.

If you are here, I assume it is because you want to "be rich". If you have read the books, you know that net worth = value provided. The next step would be to go out and look at problems in society that demands a solution. Would you need a college degree to fix them?

I wrote a big thread about this topic. If you want to study something, I personally encourage you to. However, do not study anything that isn't STEM. To make it more specific, i'd even say do not study anything that isn't computer science or engineering.

Best,

M.

abcdefgh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2018
or

14? Damn, you got red-pilled early.

The thing about this question is that there's no right answer. I know you want an answer badly, but you're going to have to use your own judgment on this one.

That's the kind of the thing you'll see more and more as you get older, which is that most questions regarding what you do with your life have no clear answers. A lot of what people do as adults is just sort of guessing and developing their judgment (i.e. ability to "guess", in a sense).

If I were you, I'd spend the next four years finishing school and trying to get a side hustle going. Maybe learn to code web applications, as it can be somewhat useful. See if there's some problem you can solve through that. There are courses on PluralSight (although you need to buy a subscription to use PluralSight, but I'd say it's worth it).

This question probably shouldn't be decided until you reach the end of high school. But ultimately, the person best positioned to decide for you is you. Not your parents, not some jackass on an internet forum, YOU.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
or

You can't even write a coherent forum post. Stay in school kid. Grow your brain power, knowledge is power. And IF, IF, you somehow come up with a business idea in the interim while studying, then try it out.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
No it isn't. Yes it is.

Can you make it worth it?

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
You still have a lot of time to make a decision. If I were you I would take this 4 years (I guess that people in Korea goes to college at 18) to figure it out what do you want in life. You can start reading books, watch YouTube videos about something that interests you and try to create business (I suppose that you are here for that). Then, when the time comes, you can answer that question by yourself.

Is difficult to get advice from someone who doesn't know you and who live at the other side of the planet, at least in this kind of questions that are too personal. Is hard enough to get advice from friends and family.

PD: Don't worry about your English, I know what it means to talk another language. I hated my English's classes when I was younger, so now is difficult for me to learn, but we always can improve.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Fact: In my country 100% of people go to school, and after all that's happened in 2020, 70% of adults make less than 150 US$ a month. Our education system has at least some fault in that... perhaps the most fault.
Maybe school in corea is better, maybe is not.
I'd say objective evidence says you should practice entrepreneurship / value adding to escape mediocrity either you go to school or not.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
@Passionfrt there are no right or wrong answers to your question.

College may help you run away from something or move towards something. It may help you build a strong supportive network or surround yourself with mediocre people. It may give you access to internships, work placements and expensive facilities or keep you away from the real market for a few more years. It really is up to you how you leverage opportunities on your way through life.

Prototype and test different futures for yourself. Keep probing for your purpose (it's fine if it changes with time) and what's best for you. Act, assess and adjust. You may have some vague ideas on what you want to be doing in life, so test it early. Spend one summer being apprenticed/working at X and learn what that is like. Then another summer work at Y in a different role or industry. While working there, get to know different people, listen to their life stories, ask them for advice. You'll be surprised how many are happy to offer help to an eager young man with the right attitude.

Imagine having 3 or 4-week experiences on different jobs each year. You'll find out more about yourself and your goals, build bigger social networks and test more assumptions about life than most of your peers and adults. All before choosing (or not) college.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.