The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mixergy Type Podcast.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Does anyone know of a podcast similar to Mixergy? I'm looking for an interview style show on Traditional Brick and Mortar type businesses, much like Mixergy does with tech startups.

I've searched around on here and on google but haven't been able to find anything. Maybe I'm just using the wrong keywords or whatnot.

I'm sure that someones doing something like that, I just haven't been able to find it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Online Business Success Stories

Here you will find online business success stories that will motivate you and lead you to your own online business success. These online business success stories are never the same. Each online business success story delivers unique tips and advice. Click on the link below each of the success story videos to see more interview clips with the business owner.

Thanks Valuegiver, but thats another online business podcast.

I'm looking for businesses that are not online, or went online as part of their core brick and mortar business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've searched around on here and on google but haven't been able to find anything. Maybe I'm just using the wrong keywords or whatnot.

You've uncovered an unfilled Fastlane need. Fill it, and make millions. =)

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
You've uncovered an unfilled Fastlane need. Fill it, and make millions. =)

That's what I was thinking. How does the monetization work? Just Ads and Sponsors? What about leverage, how do you keep it from being a full time job?

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
My bad.

You might like Business How-to Interviews | Exclusive Business How-to Genius Revealed | Genius Network

It is by Joe Polish. He interviewed a range of business owners (online, brick and mortar, motivational, etc). Some of the interviews are available for free. Some, oh well, you have to pay for it.

Thanks Valuegiver, but thats another online business podcast.

I'm looking for businesses that are not online, or went online as part of their core brick and mortar business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That's what I was thinking. How does the monetization work? Just Ads and Sponsors? What about leverage, how do you keep it from being a full time job?

Well it might be a full time job for a few years ... some Fastlane's do require years to effect (think Chuma) -- and yes, people would pay for it ... a membership model.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
Let's brainstorm some ways that this can make money. I always like to see how successful entrepreneurs see different opportunities, and feel like i am missing the opportunity of how this can become fastlane.

Here are some to get the ball rolling:

-Advertisements.
-Sponsors.
-Packaged courses (have a few interviewees talk about a certain subject or problem and package the course as a 'how-to')
-Affiliate sales of related products / services.
-Job board attached to the site where people can get jobs at start-ups.
-Paid content (have few for free with paid access to the rest).

There is no doubt that I believe this can make money, but I have trouble seeing how it can make significant money. Could it replace a 9-5? Yes. Could you retire and live comfortably after working on it for 5 or 6 years? I don't see it.

I hope that others can point out how as I too have actually looked into doing something similar and passed on it after failing to see how it would fit the fastlane principals.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Let's brainstorm some ways that this can make money. I always like to see how successful entrepreneurs see different opportunities, and feel like i am missing the opportunity of how this can become fastlane.

Here are some to get the ball rolling:

-Advertisements.
-Sponsors.
-Packaged courses (have a few interviewees talk about a certain subject or problem and package the course as a 'how-to')
-Affiliate sales of related products / services.
-Job board attached to the site where people can get jobs at start-ups.
-Paid content (have few for free with paid access to the rest).

There is no doubt that I believe this can make money, but I have trouble seeing how it can make significant money. Could it replace a 9-5? Yes. Could you retire and live comfortably after working on it for 5 or 6 years? I don't see it.

I hope that others can point out how as I too have actually looked into doing something similar and passed on it after failing to see how it would fit the fastlane principals.

I agree with you. I emailed Andrew from Mixergy and asked him what his exit strategy was. He said that he "never wants to exit". By my conservative figures he's pulling in around $200,000 a year from the site between, sponsors, membership, and courses. (He states he has 6 sponsors at $650 a month, and his membership runs $25 a month though he won't release the numbers for that.)

Even if it won't go truly fastlane, I figure I will learn so much about different industries that I could find my niche. While in the mean time live comfortably and only work a couple hours a day on something I enjoy.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
Pete- This is great. Thanks for the reply. I am going to have to honorably disagree with your figures. I personally think that they are lower than $200,000. Given his traffic stats that he has talked about, I am not so sure that he has many members. As you mentioned though, he has not disclosed what they actually are.

However, the real value in this conversation is; what could we do to take what he is doing and make it Fastlane? Is it possible? It sounds like you and I are both interested in doing the same kind of thing. We have examples of how others are doing it successfully. Is there a way that we can brainstorm on top of what they are already doing to take it to the next level?

Would love to get your feedback.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Brootal - I came up with the revenue numbers like this: He has 6 sponsorship spots per month at $650 each = $46,800. He's done around 5 "Mastery Courses" for an average of $50 per person with an average of 100 attendees = $25,000. That leaves the membership. He'd only have to have a little over 400 members paying $25 a month to have a total of $200,000.

Anyway.

I've given some thought to how to make it a true fastlane business. One idea (the only one I've got so far) is to make it a user content type site. Where business people or interviewers would post interviews on the site (along with standard interviews). I don't know exactly how that would work but if it did it would be fastlane. The problems I see with a user content site is that I don't know if there would be a way to keep quality content on it. Also I don't know if you could grow a paid membership with subpar interviews. I also thought about having guest / paid interviewers. So you could have other people ( who you've trained) do interviews and then buy the rights to it. (no employees, just content) But again, I don't know if that would work.

Another idea I had is that if the site was email based in that when you signed up you would get an interview a day by email instead of on the site. (or iphone app) In that way when a member signed up they would receive interview #1 even though you just finished up with interview #100. With this you could stop working and just let the system send emails out once you got to say 300 interviews. The problem there is that you would have a shorter life span of members and eventually the income would slow to a crawl.

Let me know if that makes sense. I just got off a 20 hour shift so I'm kinda foggy. lol

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Are you going to include franchise-based businesses (home cleaning, fast food etype places etc) - since they tend to primarily be known by the public due to their physical presence? In which case do you attempt to cover both the franchisee and the franchisor (despite one of these paths perhaps not being quite as truly fastlane)?

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Are you going to include franchise-based businesses (home cleaning, fast food etype places etc) - since they tend to primarily be known by the public due to their physical presence? In which case do you attempt to cover both the franchisee and the franchisor (despite one of these paths perhaps not being quite as truly fastlane)?

I was definitely considering both. I think that franchise companies will be easier to talk with.

Drew

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 19, 2011
Philadelphia
Mixergy is awesome~! Great idea for a brick and mortar, non-tech business site. The Andrew guy who created Mixergy is a really skilled interviewer though, that is what I think would be the greatest challenge.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
The Andrew guy who created Mixergy is a really skilled interviewer though, that is what I think would be the greatest challenge.

Andrew Warner was not always a great interviewer. He never interviewed anyone before he started Mixergy.com. He knew he wasn't good so in order to get better he decided to practice, practice, practice. Which is how he came up with doing a new interview every weekday.

I'm much like Andrew in that aspect, I've never interviewed anyone and I'm somewhat introverted. However, I love to ask questions of business people and I love to learn. With those two attributes I'm confident that I can get to mixergy quality level.

smith360

Banned
Apr 9, 2011
Podcasts are among the oldest types of syndicated content on the web. Yet the format remains a popular choice among content producers looking to connect with a wide audience.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
I am seriously pumped to see what you come up with Pete. When do you plan on getting your site up?

As soon as I can! I'm working on coming up with a site name and how I want to run it. Andrew told me that the way he built Mixergy there is no way he could exit. I want to be able to build this and if I want to, have the choice of an exit.

Do you have any feedback on the ideas I posted?

Site name suggestions?

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
Hi Pete-

I think that the user generated content for this site would be tough. There are a few ways that I can think of that might make it work, but don't see how it would be easy or prevent people from posting up a bunch of crap.

The second idea is great. You could use the actual site as an archive with a paywall, and have it free for a set time through the email link. I have no idea how to incorporate that, but maybe we can find someone else that does.

Another thing that I see coming out of this though is it being a vehicle to drastically expand your network of successful people.

Are you planning on doing audio interviews, Skype video interviews, or just publishing the transcripts for now?

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Are you planning on doing audio interviews, Skype video interviews, or just publishing the transcripts for now?

I'm planning on doing audio interviews with transcriptions. I think that it may be hard to have skype interviews with brick and mortar businesses. From my own experience, B&M business owners tend to not use/ trust a lot of online tools. I may be wrong, but I think that it will be hard to get them to agree to install a program and talk to a computer. I know it works for Mixergy, but he's interviewing tech people who probably use skype all day long.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Well, I haven't gotten much done yet. I've registered two domain names: trepacademy.com and trepsacademy.com I just got my new microphone in the mail today. I'm going to set up some email capture landing pages to test what kind of content people want in the next couple of days.

I think I'm leaning towards more of a webinar/ resource site that has interviews. Which is why I bought academy domains. I'm really excited to see what I can get going with this.

Keep checking in, it keeps me motivated! If you have any feedback or suggestions let me know.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Trep is the abbreviation of entrepreneur. I'm not sure who started using it first, but in the last couple of years it's been getting quite a bit of use. Entrepreneur magazine is where I first heard of it being used.

Unfortunately entrepreneuracademy.com is already taken and the owner is not willing to sell.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
I've been working on putting the website together for the last couple of weeks. I'm not a designer and its proving to be more "interesting" then I thought. I'm getting the hang of it. There is so much to do and so little time while working 90+ hours a week for someone else. I'm going to try to write out exactly what it is I need to do and put them into bite size action steps for each day. Otherwise its getting overwhelming with everything that needs to be done.

I've got a couple of business owners lined up for interviews. These first ones more then likely won't be published but they will be more of a learning experience so I don't look like a bumbling idiot. lol!

I knew it wasn't going to be easy. But its misleading when everyone says "just put a wordpress site up and go" There's most certainly more to it than that. Which is good, with a high barrier to entry it keeps competitors from cropping up too fast.

When I get a little bit further I'll start a new thread to follow then progress. Thanks for keeping me motivated!

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I've been working on putting the website together for the last couple of weeks. I'm not a designer and its proving to be more "interesting" then I thought. I'm getting the hang of it. There is so much to do and so little time while working 90+ hours a week for someone else.

If you're working 90+ hours for someone else why not use that money to pay a developer?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.