The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mike Rowe on Entreleadership

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
https://www.entreleadership.com/podcasts/somebody's-gotta-do-it-with-mike-rowe

I HIGHLY recommend you listen to this. It was a fantastic show. I am a huge fan of Mike Rowe.

He is the host of Dirty Jobs but he is also the producer of Deadliest Catch. At one point in the show he mentions that a great deal of the owners of the Dirty companies were multi-millionaires....

I think many of you need to know there is not only a handful of ways to the fastlane. It seems like everyone is either doing ecommerce, self publishing, direct marketing or whatever it is called, funnel building... This DOESNT EVEN SCRATCH THE SURFACE of the opportunities out there, but this mentality is understandable considering the handful of successes in these areas on the site.

I would be willing to bet for every one person who makes a good living online there are 50 that own a business that doesn't even have a web presence that makes more...

Just some food for thought.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So for those of you who have not done anything yet... Why not explore some options that don't fall into the categories I mentioned above? I think your odds are better by starting with work and hiring that work done later...

I may sound like a hypocrite because I own an internet company, but I also own 2 other companies that don't even need a website and have more potential.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I would be willing to bet for every one person who makes a good living online there are 50 that own a business that doesn't even have a web presence that makes more...
Well. You are right to a degree. There is money everywhere to be made. But the real benefit with the Internet is that it's quite simple. A construction business for example. I wouldn't want to run that for a million dollars a year. Bunch of contracts, insurance, employees, machines etc. Then there is the occasional accident. Well, need I say more?

That's why the Internet wins. To me. Can't be much simpler than like self publishing. You write the book or hire someone to write the book. Then you just sell it as a ebook. Take payment or get your cut from Amazon or whatever. And you are done.

Sure, you may hire a freelancer to make blog posts or work as support. But, that's about it. It's not much more to it. Than that.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Who are you to tell me how right I am? I'm not bashing the Internet... Not in the slightest bit. There ARE way more than just internet millionaires out there.

The easy route is almost always the less lucrative route. Think barrier to entry. Any yokel with a credit card can make a website and jump on that bandwagon. My maid makes more money than most of these guys.

For some reason the folks here almost completely ignore B2B as well.

Last edited:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Who are you to tell me how right I am? I'm not bashing the Internet... Not in the slightest bit.
And I am not bashing you. Sorry if I offended you in any way. I was just giving some reasons why to choose the Internet before the offline world. It could also get costly if you fail offline. But it depends on the business of course.

Last edited:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Good link, Kak. Thanks. I hadn't listened to Entreleadership podcasts in a while.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Who are you to tell me how right I am? I'm not bashing the Internet... Not in the slightest bit. There ARE way more than just internet millionaires out there.

The easy route is almost always the less lucrative route. Think barrier to entry. Any yokel with a credit card can make a website and jump on that bandwagon. My maid makes more money than most of these guys.

I think the fact that we are here on a forum automatically puts us in the "online" category, which is why it may feel like everyone here is doing online stuff.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Any yokel with a credit card can make a website and jump on that bandwagon. My maid makes more money than most of these guys.

I want E Commerce To help fund B2B And when My skills in Networking, marketing, ecommerce catch up up to my work ethic mix the two and I'm hoping to create something big.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I want E Commerce To help fund B2B And when My skills in Networking, marketing, ecommerce catch up up to my work ethic mix the two and I'm hoping to create something big.

Ecommerce isn't going to help much in the networking arena. I literally have to talk to no one for my ecommerce business. Why not work on them simultaneously? There won't be some turning point where all of a sudden you think you can handle it. Go for it now.

My businesses have a lot of waiting involved. Some people like to talk about how they stay up all night "working" I can't figure out what they are doing...

I use that waiting time to work on other projects... No reason not to.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
As you guys already said, I think it's mostly because it's easier to get started without connections and money.
I would really like to make some business offline, but coming from a small town in a shitty place of the world, and without any existing money, you can hardly get started. I guess it lays in the future, if I'm lucky.

Bottom line, I think the internet has multiplied the people that go their own way by a good factor. Of course, most of them will never get anywhere with it and end up in some job anyway. But some of them will, and some of these will be people that without the internet would be stuck in a job for life.
Instead, they might go on and create great things. I think it's a wonderful time to be alive.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I know you're gonna like this...

Hey Mike!

I’ve spent this last year trying to figure out the right career for myself and I still can’t figure out what to do. I have always been a hands on kind of guy and a go-getter. I could never be an office worker. I need change, excitement, and adventure in my life, but where the pay is steady. I grew up in construction and my first job was a restoration project. I love everything outdoors. I play music for extra money. I like trying pretty much everything, but get bored very easily. I want a career that will always keep me happy, but can allow me to have a family and get some time to travel. I figure if anyone knows jobs its you so I was wondering your thoughts on this if you ever get the time! Thank you!

Parker Hall

Mike Rowe wrote back on his Facebook page:

Hi Parker

My first thought is that you should learn to weld and move to North Dakota. The opportunities are enormous, and as a “hands-on go-getter,” you’re qualified for the work. But after reading your post a second time, it occurs to me that your qualifications are not the reason you can’t find the career you want.

I had drinks last night with a woman I know. Let’s call her Claire. Claire just turned 42. She’s cute, smart, and successful. She’s frustrated though, because she can’t find a man. I listened all evening about how difficult her search has been. About how all the “good ones” were taken. About how her other friends had found their soul-mates, and how it wasn’t fair that she had not.

“Look at me,” she said. “I take care of myself. I’ve put myself out there. Why is this so hard?”

“How about that guy at the end of the bar,” I said. “He keeps looking at you.”
“Not my type.”

“Really? How do you know?”
“I just know.”

“Have you tried a dating site?” I asked.”
“Are you kidding? I would never date someone I met online!”

“Alright. How about a change of scene? Your company has offices all over – maybe try living in another city?”
“What? Leave San Francisco? Never!”

“How about the other side of town? You know, mix it up a little. Visit different places. New museums, new bars, new theaters…?”

She looked at me like I had two heads. “Why the hell would I do that?”

Here’s the thing, Parker. Claire doesn’t really want a man. She wants the “right” man. She wants a soul-mate. Specifically, a soul-mate from her zip code. She assembled this guy in her mind years ago, and now, dammit, she’s tired of waiting!!

I didn’t tell her this, because Claire has the capacity for sudden violence. But it’s true. She complains about being alone, even though her rules have more or less guaranteed she’ll stay that way. She has built a wall between herself and her goal. A wall made of conditions and expectations. Is it possible that you’ve built a similar wall?

Consider your own words. You don’t want a career – you want the “right” career. You need “excitement” and “adventure,” but not at the expense of stability. You want lots of “change” and the “freedom to travel,” but you need the certainty of “steady pay.” You talk about being “easily bored” as though boredom is out of your control. It isn’t. Boredom is a choice. Like tardiness. Or interrupting. It’s one thing to “love the outdoors,” but you take it a step further. You vow to “never” take an office job. You talk about the needs of your family, even though that family doesn’t exist. And finally, you say the career you describe must “always” make you “happy.”

These are my thoughts. You may choose to ignore them and I wouldn’t blame you – especially after being compared to a 42 year old woman who can’t find love. But since you asked…

Stop looking for the “right” career, and start looking for a job. Any job. Forget about what you like. Focus on what’s available. Get yourself hired. Show up early. Stay late. Volunteer for the scut work. Become indispensable. You can always quit later, and be no worse off than you are today. But don’t waste another year looking for a career that doesn’t exist. And most of all, stop worrying about your happiness. Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that’s consistent with those beliefs.

Many people today resent the suggestion that they’re in charge of the way the feel. But trust me, Parker. Those people are mistaken. That was a big lesson from Dirty Jobs, and I learned it several hundred times before it stuck. What you do, who you’re with, and how you feel about the world around you, is completely up to you.

Good luck -

Mike

PS. I’m serious about welding and North Dakota. Those guys are writing their own ticket.

PPS Think I should forward this to Claire?

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I know you're gonna like this...

Great post!

The perfect timing, the perfect business, the perfect window of opportunity, the perfect career, it's all a unicorn... It doesn't exist...

Last edited:
G

GuestUser112

Mike Rowe is the man. It seems like there is an 'online entrepreneurship' trend going on and it's got everybody scrambling to learn code and all that - which is great, coding is revolutionizing technology - however people are treating the internet as if all other forms of business are inferior.

Which makes me think that most people here may have skipped over the Entry part of the CENTS analysis in TMFL - probably because it's the harsh truth.

Businesses revolve around Needs. People still need oil, food, clothing, clean water, minerals and metals from the earth...this is why mining is practically a trillion dollar industry (I don't know for sure but it's up there). How did people make money 100 years ago? 150 years ago? 200 years ago?

Learn your history people. The internet is a medium. If you can't offer real value, the internet is only going to be the best vehicle of the scam artist.

And notice how I said 'online entrepreneurship trend'? If everybody's doing it, how good are your chances really?

This is the whole point of 'Dirty Jobs'. These guys make money because nobody else is willing to do what they do. It's the simple, beautiful, dirty truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUser112

Honestly sometimes I wonder if I couldn't go buy some land in the Canadian shield and start my own mine like they did back in the day. Or go to Northern Alberta and dig my own oil well. Hard to compete with the big guys, but does that mean it's impossible?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Mike Rowe is the man. It seems like there is an 'online entrepreneurship' trend going on and it's got everybody scrambling to learn code and all that - which is great, coding is revolutionizing technology - however people are treating the internet as if all other forms of business are inferior.

Which makes me think that most people here may have skipped over the Entry part of the CENTS analysis in TMFL - probably because it's the harsh truth.

Businesses revolve around Needs. People still need oil, food, clothing, clean water, minerals and metals from the earth...this is why mining is practically a trillion dollar industry (I don't know for sure but it's up there). How did people make money 100 years ago? 150 years ago? 200 years ago?

Learn your history people. The internet is a medium. If you can't offer real value, the internet is only going to be the best vehicle of the scam artist.

And notice how I said 'online entrepreneurship trend'? If everybody's doing it, how good are your chances really?

This is the whole point of 'Dirty Jobs'. These guys make money because nobody else is willing to do what they do. It's the simple, beautiful, dirty truth.

YES!

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Ecommerce isn't going to help much in the networking arena. I literally have to talk to no one for my ecommerce business. Why not work on them simultaneously? There won't be some turning point where all of a sudden you think you can handle it. Go for it now.
I'm not a big fan of explaining myself. There's always a Method to my Madness.

G

GuestUser113

I think many of you need to know there is not only a handful of ways to the fastlane.

Old, boring industries.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

My friend owns one of the most successful transportation companies in the state. He rents out party buses. Last time I've talked to him he had something like 15 buses. Those buses are huge. They need to be stored somewhere. They need to be worked on, so he has to hire mechanics full time. The buses need to be upgraded to be "party ready" so he needs carpenters. He needs a small army of drivers for his buses so the buses can actually go somewhere. He also needs to pay for insurance, gas, (over 200k per year), tires, etc. In my publishing business, my expenses are ZERO. There are literally no expenses unless I want to have an expense. I don't NEED anything but myself. Just some food for thought.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
[QUOTE="Kak, post: 416532, member]
I think many of you need to know there is not only a handful of ways to the fastlane.

Old, boring industries.

Nevermind

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
You know, I took everyone off of my ignore list for my return... Fresh start. You sir just became my first ignore.

That post was completely ignorant. I can tell you don't have much of value to share.
I think he was agreeing with you :pompus:

G

GuestUser113

You know, I took everyone off of my ignore list for my return... Fresh start. You sir just became my first ignore.

That post was completely ignorant. I can tell you don't have much of value to share.

I was agreeing with you. @JackEdwards has talked about this as well. Old boring industries. Why worry about starting the next app, etc.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ah. Sorry. Took it out of context.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Last edited:

smithsta

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 4, 2014
This was a great post!! How are things @Kak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Nice 3 year old thread here LOL. Still interesting stuff.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I forgot the exact wording for the phrase, but I think a lot of the Dirty Jobs millionaires would codify it:

If you do the shit no one else wants to, you will live like no one else.

Most of these are perfect examples of not doing a "passion" job but doing some terrible job no one wants as an entrepreneur, making bank, pursuing passion later.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.