The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mike Dillard Webinar Review

Utopia

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2016
Traveling
For the purposes of learning here I wanted to give an outline of how this webinar went and how you can use for business.

This likely will be applicable if any of you have a service business or education product that you are looking to sell.

He found me on Facebook. It was a simple ad offering a free webinar on how to grow an email list. The key wording here was "do what the professionals are doing to build a list". With this in mind I clicked on the link and signed up.

I was pissed for the first 30 minutes of the webinar.

It was like an introduction to a blog post. Fortunately I had some work to do in the background, but this information was an absolute waste of time. I was here to grow my list and get information on how to do so, instead Mike had a prerecorded talk where he went over:
  • Why building a list is important (obviously I know this or I wouldn't be there)
  • His history - how he built a list at age 27 that produced him x amount of dollars (I don't care)
  • More useless information. He did however say that his results are atypical and that you should expect to fail (LOL)
After this I was about to shut off the webinar, but I decided to persevere. Eventually he got to the four things you need for a list:
  1. Landing page
  2. Traffic
  3. Niche
  4. Money
This seriously was almost the last straw and when I had my mouse over the x, he then talked about how we can drive traffic to a lower cost product that we have for sale on our site (Valuable Insight #1).

With at least something gained out of the webinar I stayed tuned for more BS that really didn't take us anywhere. Until finally he suggested having a subscription group that you charge your members to stabilize your income (Valuable Insight #2).

And though I thought I wasted a lot of time, I did however get two really good ideas for my own business:
  1. Having a lower priced product that I can lead people to from Facebook will pay for my ad cost.
  2. Creating a group, a subscription service would likely be a good direction for me to go.
At the end of the show he offered $3,000 services for the price of $997. In a follow up email he offered them for $2,000. I think this is like a email list build program. I'm not sure, I had to go before it ended.

For our purposes here there is a lot to learn:
  • Facebook to webinars is not a bad strategy
  • His whole webinar was like a sales copy (didn't work for me, but I imagine it worked for others)
  • I don't really like him or trust him after this, but I haven't removed him from my email list
What I wonder and this probably isn't the case, but he could have distilled the meat of this webinar to 10-15 minutes and it would have been incredibly valuable for me, but likely this would not be a very good way to get $3,000 product sales.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Have you ever heard of the envelope stuffing scam?

In a nutshell, it goes like this: For a small fee, I'm going to teach you what I'm doing to you.

In other words, you've been put into a sales funnel and for a few thousand bucks, you can learn how to do the same thing to other people.

This cartoon comes to mind, a personal favorite ...

makingmoney.jpg

Last edited:

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I have gone through these same type of funnels as well. Opt-in to webinar to learn more about something and then receive follow up emails about their life changing program or course for weeks afterwards. I will admit, some are very skilled marketers and at one point I almost actually followed through. Then I remembered that there are no short cuts and I could likely learn everything they are teaching for free if I look hard enough, instead of paying $2000 for some glorified series of blog posts/youtube videos.

Has anyone paid money for a course or training program similar to what the OP is talking about? I would be interested to hear your thoughts if it was actually worthwhile or not. I guess it is probably like anything else in life, it all depends on your effort.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know if paying for a canned course is worthwhile, but paying for personal time with someone who knows more than you can be valuable.

To find out if it's worthwhile, just do the math.

Realistically, how long do you think it will take to learn to do task X proficiently? Realize that your best estimates are probably off by a factor of 2 or 3 -> call this A

How much is each unit of time worth? call this B

How much is the coaching cost? call this C

How much time will it take with the coaching? call this D - damn I'm creative

if (A - D) * B > C then it's worthwhile

if (A - D) * B < C then it's not worthwhile

if (A - D) * B << C then it's a scam

if (A - D) * B >> C then it's a no brainer

There's a pretty straight forward framework for thinking about these kinds of things.

Not everybody that wants money in exchange for their information and experience is a scammer. @biophase and @Fox come to mind immediately.

FWIW, both these guys fall into the (A - D) * B >> C = no brainer category

3 stacks for a mike dillard course? Hard pass for me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Banned

Utopia

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2016
Traveling
I don't know if paying for a canned course is worthwhile, but paying for personal time with someone who knows more than you can be valuable.

To find out if it's worthwhile, just do the math.

Realistically, how long do you think it will take to learn to do task X proficiently? Realize that your best estimates are probably off by a factor of 2 or 3 -> call this A

How much is each unit of time worth? call this B

How much is the coaching cost? call this C

How much time will it take with the coaching? call this D - damn I'm creative

if (A - D) * B > C then it's worthwhile

if (A - D) * B < C then it's not worthwhile

if (A - D) * B << C then it's a scam

if (A - D) * B >> C then it's a no brainer

There's a pretty straight forward framework for thinking about these kinds of things.

Not everybody that wants money in exchange for their information and experience is a scammer. @biophase and @Fox come to mind immediately.

FWIW, both these guys fall into the (A - D) * B >> C = no brainer category

3 stacks for a mike dillard course? Hard pass for me.
I've had this experience where I hired a business coach. Being lost and stuck in three different businesses that I tried, I was absolutely committed to getting over the challenges I was having. What it did for me was expedited the learning curve. Instead of taking 6 months - 2 years to learn business I was able to get what I needed in three months. This can be dangerous though if you are to hire the wrong person.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.