• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FEATURED! Mental Health Awareness Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Supa, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Mattie

Mattie Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,992
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention it's the 10th leading cause of death in America, and every 12 minutes if this is accurate information. This is sad. This is my "Why" and of course, studied all my life because back in 1993, two people close to me months apart passed away. And I just happen to have had relatives involved with the Mental Health Systems, and Substance Abuse/Addictions, and of course even though it's not spoken about, Generation X lost a portion of our generation to suicide from 1970-1995.

And I'm sure there was some of the Baby Boomers in this mix, because at the time it was the ending of the Vietnam War, Divorce, Separation, the "Revolution" of free drugs, alcohol, sex, the hippie cults, and we were the first generation to experience this on magnified level than previous generations. While some were lucky to have families that stayed together, this wasn't always healthy either. We're just seeing it being repeated at the present time, and of course, the addictive culture is expanded and magnified compared to our generation in different ways.

When it comes to Mental Disorders, this makes it 10 times more difficult to navigate depending on what the impairment may be. If you already have navigation issues, it's kind of like trying to fly a plane with a broken wing. I watched this movie back in one of my courses in college, but does talk about in great detail the issues of what happens with those withe severe depression, manic and bi-polar. The Bridge.

Warning: The movie gets kind of deep into things, so if you're triggered easily probably not a good idea to watch it. The objective of sharing the video is to bring awareness and education.

YoungPadawan and Supa like this.
  2. Elif

Elif New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $91
    This should be promoted on social media to awareness of people dealing with mental disorders.

Mattie likes this.
  3. Mattie

Rep Bank:
    $26,992
    I promote this a lot, the mind games we like to play. I mean should all be educated. I'm not going to comment on it too much, but has a lot to do with some of the emotional and mental issues we're facing with the younger generation. I do promote stuff, but I'm one person, and hopefully there are other referees out there blowing the whistle besides me. The last few days, I'm rolling my eyes at this 100% freedom of the feminine movement, and it's getting to extreme. I've even been told I'm prejudice, discriminating, and demanded to stop standing up for the masculine, and stand up the leftist feminine movement. No Thanks, I'm not going to support some actions and behaviors that I know will cause emotional and mental pain to children and future generations. Some of these actions and behaviors are going to cause some psychological wounds for the children, and people like me have to advocate for them whether they like hearing it or not.

Ninjakid and Supa like this.
  4. sparechange

sparechange Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,408
    starts off young, my fb is filled with teens that publicly and proudly show themselves drinking bottles and ripping bongs or talk about other drug use, pills etc.

then they grow up with all these mental illnesses, maybe im wrong, most likely not (know lots of people that are crazy from drug use)

its always turned me away from drugs and drinking. everyone i know that is involved with those activities is generally ***** in the head.

staying away from booze, pills and other stuff & living a healthy life is very important.

the celebrity stories headlines on magazines always brighten up my day, seeing these high profile people abuse hard drugs and booze suffering 'depression' while they have a life that is a million times better than mine is entertaining.

staying away from the wrong people in life is another big key, having been surrounded by a lot of sh*tty people, good old spare change has been around hard drugs but ive always managed to say no. seeing the aftermath & effects of ''partying'' deals you a lifetime of consequences

whats the solution? starting with children and educating them on drug use properly, unfortunately our drug education programs in Canada are always laughed at by younger kids (elementary & high school)

so i think this is more of a parenting issue.

MJ DeMarco and Mattie like this.
  5. Mattie

Rep Bank:
    $26,992
    I agree. I tell this to people all the time online. Ha ha! I doesn't seem to sink in their heads. There more concerned with breaking out of the box. lol I've heard this phrase so much this week, it's getting kind of humorous. How about the new phrase "Collapse some boxes, and throw them in trash compactor." Otherwise, you're just putting yourself in one box, breaking out of it and fitting another box, and another box, and it kind of reminds of at Christmas time when people put the small box in another 10 larger boxes, and tell you to open it up and it takes forever. When they keep hanging out with the same mindset, they're really not 100% free. They are fooling themselves. Addiction is just not the way to success in anything in life. Until their mindset changes, they are just finding other people with the same issues.

6. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,578
    I'm really glad to see this topic. I've wanted to share an essay along these lines for a while, but didn't see a good way to open the door to the conversation. Thank you, Supa.

To put it bluntly, the whole area of psychology is something MJ is strong on, but too many forum members are weak on — yet, ignorantly and angrily, are full of criticism about it anyway. So much so, that it almost drove me away when I first started here.

There are some times that someone knows what would be good to do. They have all the resources to safely give it a try. It will bring out the best in them. There is nothing more to learn or figure out. And yet they don't do it, for only one reason: they're being stubborn jerks. Scolding them for their stubbornness might break through that self-imposed pointless wall. It might be all it takes to get them moving, onward to their succcess.

Drill seargents do this. So do institutions like MIT. But you're not a drill seargent. Even if you are one in your day job, your fellow forum members are not recruits under your command. And just after one of MIT's top leaders took over at South Korea's most prestigious university, under his hard-nosed leadership there were multiple suicides of academic community members who cracked under that pressure.

The very same attitudes have led to the extreme gender bias and exclusive hostility we see throughout the software industry, especially from technically talented interpersonal jerks like Linus Torvalds. Hoping to coordinate a big, successful technical project as brilliantly as Linus does, too many young geeks mistake his appallingly bad social skills as a crucial ingredient to his success. When Linus tells people they should commit suicide rather than submit more buggy code, they see that cruelty as something that created his success. They don't see the truth that his technical strengths led to his success despite his callously cruel "pep talks." He's just one of many examples of these destructive attitudes in business these days, and in American software business in particular.

Most forum members here don't need a drill seargant, but could benefit from a respectful, sympathetic friend who can sometimes give a challenge...WITH humanity, courtesy, friendliness, sincerity. Not with unwarranted assumptions against the character of those they attack.

There are some times that someone has fear, worry, dread, anxiety. Sometimes those feelings come only from inner fantasies that have nothing to do with real life. Entrepreneurship can be different enough from past experiences and conditioned responses. Sometimes, needless fears block a harmless, obvious next step. A simple pep talk can get a person past those baseless worries.

Sometimes those feelings come from personal experiences that really did happen (as they did in my life, for example) of physical brutality, deprivation, destitution, phyiscal pain, grief, loss, destruction, death of loved ones, death's door for oneself. Cautiously wanting to not physically experience that again, is not from vague fantasies that will go away if someone shouts at me at enough.

Some people have been through genuinely traumatic incidents leading to PTSD or other major psychological challenges. Experience, feelings and mental states for which trained, empathetic active listening and wise, informed counsel are appropriate. Sometimes, psychological states are involved for which medical intervention is appropriate, wise, helpful.

And instead of honoring that this might be the truth, all too often too many forum members take it upon themselves to play the self-assumed role of Righteously Indignant Dad Telling Off The Brat.

Most of us are not lacking in success, just because we haven't had someone tell us off enough. So cool it, Fake Upset Dads Of The Internet. (Especialy if you're literally half my age, and have NEVER tried to study the psychology lessons I've already worked through, very deeply, with very well qualified professionals... a personal journey I started as an adult, before some self-appointed Fake Dads were out of high school.)

MJ wrote the books of guidance he wished he would've had when he was younger. Once he saw that his life wasn't going as the script predicted, it took some years to turn himself around and find success. While people of any age and gender are welcome to learn from him, he'd especially like to save other young guys those years of trial, by passing along what he leanned. Hooray!

MJ sometimes delivers the a$$-kicking that would have woken himself up earlier. BUT he does it based on an adult perspective on psychology. He does it based on some very profound introspection and thought that went into writing those books.

MJ's books feel breezy and flow easily. It actually takes a hell of a lot of work to package challenging, interlocking, life-changing, conditioning-busting ideas into something that reads so well. That's why he hasn't cranked out a book a month for 99 cents on Kindle. This type of quality thinking and writing takes time, reflection, revision, maturity.

Misunderstanding what MJ did with his writing and how he did it, too many forum members take it upon themselves to be the self-righteously self-appointed a$$-kickers of each other, in an ignorant, naive and hostile manner.

Being given unsolicited, bad psychology advice that comes a hostile mindset, is NOT a necessary part of an entrepreneurial self-help community. It is, by far, the single worst part of this forum, for myself and I've seen that also for some other members.

People with astigmatism do not need to be yelled at so they'll squint harder. People with heart attacks don't need to be yelled at until they just choose by sheer willpower to have clear arteries. People with broken legs don't need to be yelled at that the stairs should be easy for everyone. Yet this is what is way too often done to people with an invisible challenge in their psychology. "Challenge" here is not a code word for "something that goes away if you get upset enough about it."

There are some wise, considerate, caring, genuinely helpful people here with good psychological advice. And there are most of the users who are neutral on the topic, neither helpful nor hurtful. But there is that destructive tendency among a minority of members, to mistake their own ignorant hostility for valid mental health guidance.

That's an extremely toxic weed in this garden of ideas. I hope that this thread helps people stop watering that weed. I hope this thread helps bring some understanding and compassion that will lead to more kindness, more thoughtfully and gently given good advice. And less of the "bad cop, upset Dad, toxic psychologist, yellin' to you fix yerself Bro" kind of attitude. An attitude that doesn't really help anyone, no matter how much of a thrill it is to tell someone off, for what you imagine is the cause of anything that's gone wrong in their life.

Thanks Supa and all in this thread so far. I hope this thread will be a turning point. I'd love if if this forum can become known as an online haven not just for business ideas and social contrarianism. But also, for truly compassionate, cooperative learning about the thoughts and feelings that can help us reach towards peace and wisdom inside ourselves, along with that external success.

Triplelindy, BNeumann and sparechange like this.
  7. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,521
    I'm sorry you had to go through that. I personally struggle with Bipolar disorder and I find it incredible how many people struggle with mental health these days.
    So many people struggle in silence, and a lot don't get help until it's too late

UnrealCreative and Supa like this.
  8. Mattie

Rep Bank:
    $26,992
    Yes, I have helped a lot of people online the last ten years. I try my best to help others get out of the negative mindset. It takes a lot of discipline and it's quite a lot of inner work. Some people manage to lift themselves out of it, while others may never manage too. It depends on the person. Also the type of depression.

Supa and YoungPadawan like this.
  9. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    Have you tried Meditation? Also Eckhart Tolle’s Power of Now and A New Earth is all about this.

Not to be able to stop thinking is a dreadful affliction, but we don't realize this because almost everybody is suffering from it, so it is considered normal. This incessant mental noise prevents you from finding that realm of inner stillness that is inseparable from Being. It also creates a false mind-made self that casts a shadow of fear and suffering.

The compulsive thinker, which means almost everyone, lives in a state of apparent separateness, in an insanely complex world of continuous problems and conflict, a world that reflects the ever-increasing fragmentation of the mind. Enlightenment is a state of wholeness, of being "at one" and therefore at peace.

Thinking has become a disease. Disease happens when things get out of balance. For example, there is nothing wrong with cells dividing and multiplying in the body, but when this process continues in disregard of the total organism, cells proliferate and we have disease.

Note: The mind is a superb instrument if used rightly. Used wrongly, however, it becomes very destructive. To put it more accurately, it is not so much that you use your mind wrongly - you usually don't use it at all. It uses you. This is the disease. You believe that you are your mind. This is the delusion. The instrument has taken you over

Mattie likes this.
  10. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,705

I think loneliness is one of the biggest factors.

1*VVzKPGs_BZWJU5x-PpmlXg.jpeg

I posted on Medium about this while back.

People are social creatures. Bonds are essential to what it means to be human. Imo, without them we become like a leaf cut off from the roots.

Even Depression doesn’t correlate as closely as that:

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 1.50.55 PM.png
    (Source: CDC)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  11. Ayanle Farah

Ayanle Farah Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,361
    The thing about loneliness is you can be in the company of others and still feel lonely but it's definitely a big factor.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  12. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,732
    I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel alone. - Robin Williams

WJK, Aunt Clyde and jon.M like this.
  13. Mattie

Rep Bank:
    $26,992
    I think this is a huge issue in our society. There are no cultural barriers, or social status barriers. Individualistic societies tend to be more focused on self. When everything becomes about self, this tends to rub off in society, were we tend to be more self-absorbed. Loneliness can be managed to a certain extent, but still people need human interaction with others, and build reliable friendships, marriage partners, and relationships in a work environment. When you lack support in life from others, is when people kind of drop down in low arousal. The unpredictable relationships which remain for a short-time, and have no emotional and mental investment in your life.

Suicide can be quite deeper than loneliness. Usually catastrophic thinking, black and white thinking, over thinking, and some kind of traumatic experience that one is dwelling on to a certain extent. Perhaps how one perceives events. Helplessness. Feeling trapped. No way out. Usually lack problem solving skills or coping skills. although you have some people who do have those skills, and they may have made a bad choice. It's kind of hard to get inside the mind of everyone to know exactly what their personal pain and suffering is in the moment when they get that deep and dark in their psyche.

14. AdamUK

AdamUK New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $17
    Hi I'm new here, but not new to mental health!
    My 2 cents is..

I think we all have the potential to suffer with mental illness. It just takes the wrong combination of factors including stress, illicit substances, loss, bullying, abuse to set us on a downward spiral that might end with suffering from a severe mental illness.

Building awareness will help people realise when they are heading towards a mental illness and they can seek treatment before it's too late,
    so this thread is very important for building awareness. Great work!

Aunt Clyde likes this.
  15. Andreas Thiel

Andreas Thiel Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $365
    Very good thread. Depression will still be covered, right? I have not missed anything!?

My family is really messed up, genetically speaking. It is difficult to appreciate the magnitude of the issues by just reading about them in articles, but some people have a way with words. I think Supa is doing an awesome job so far. Love the format.

Fortunately, my mother eventually found the right mix of medication to become a "normal person". Needless to say ... there were some problematic aspects to my childhood.
    I struggled with depression from the end of the German high school equivalent through most of the time at the Academy where I studied.
    Worlds lie between a) full blown depressions where you cannot move the needle on the hopelessness that you feel and b) just being inconsolably depressed, wanting some alone time.
    At some point, the depressions started fading but a lack of energy grew. The feeling that there is a physical issue and you need to find a solution for it, again, is worlds apart from being in a depression, but both can trouble you at the same time. That can be confusing.

Both my brother and my sister are unable to work full time. My brother is a genius in many areas, but just keeps getting crushed by health issues, mentally and physically. It is a blend of different things, anxienty disorders seem to be chief among them.

Fortunately, these days the true depressions are mostly absent from my life. My family tries to attack the issues as intellectual challenges and we hope for medical advances.

Of course I get triggered when the picture-of-health-Joe-Rogans of this world talk about what other people could do differently that would make all their problems go away - when all they can do is assume.
    Fortunately there are many people who get it as the comments show, like:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    AdamUK likes this.