The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Men Selling Avon

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Here's an interesting article. You be the judge.

Good? Bad? Slow Lane? Fast Lane?

Avon now calling on men, too

"Forget the product, forget it's Avon. This is a very viable business," says the 58-year-old fire code inspector from Winter Haven, Fla. He made about $800,000 in sales last year along with his wife and has about 170 sales reps under him.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Avon now calling on men, too

"Forget the product, forget it's Avon. This is a very viable business," says the 58-year-old fire code inspector from Winter Haven, Fla. He made about $800,000 in sales last year along with his wife and has about 170 sales reps under him.

Passenger in the Fastlane ... the actual owner of Avon is the driver in the fastlane. Also $800K in sales isn't that much of a net (assuming a 10% margin, its only $80K/yr ... hardly fastlane)

Nonetheless, the story does convey an interesting and new TREND: MEN are engaging in personal hygiene.

The stock price of NutriSystem (NTRI) has gone gangbusters this year due to their new marketing campaigns aimed at MEN. You may have noticed commercials featuring athletes airing during sporting events - Don Shula, Bob Golic, Dan Marino. They virtually, overnight, doubled their marketspace and their stock price growth has reflected it.

New hair and skin care products now target MEN.

Hair dye for men use to be limited to Grecian Forumula -- now Clairol and other hardline brands atypical of females are entering the fray.

Last Sunday, I was watching the NFL at my GF's house -- I was kicking back being a guy when she noticed my feet and said "wow, you need a pedicure". So I was like, sure WTF? Ill do it.

So I left the NFL game and went to a nail salon with my GF. The nail attendant was nice enough to put the shop's big-screen TV on so I watched the game, while I got a pedicure. It was a new experience for me, yet, enjoyable and I thought: "Would men patronize a place like this dedicated to men? Football and messages? Big plasma TV's and Pedicures? I envisioned a new business idea based on the new trend of men being hygiene conscious. Maybe call it the Man Cave?

While I sat their getting my feet worshiped by some strange lady I never met, I wondered if my life was in danger: A was expecting a Milwaukee's Best Light can slamming down on top of me and hearing a voice ... "Men should Act Like Men". But it didn't happen and I left with a pedicure and got to watch the game.

Point is ... many men are spending BILLIONS on personal hygiene. Ten years ago, they weren't.

I'm moving this thread to B&M as its really a great business discussion.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mefBfSWf9I"]YouTube - Milwaukee's Best[/ame]

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Oh, yes .. Speed++

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007

If he's happy with what he's doing, and has 170 people working under him to make him money, i'd say it's good....for him.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
FT1-

Like your post in the "definition of the FASTLANE" thread, we're not talking about the Good Life here.

I think all of us endorse and appreciate the Good Life. :)

But I don't think the good life is the same thing as the fastlane.

You can be in the slowland and have the Good Life.

And you could be in the fastlane and be miserable-- or-- more likely, you could be working towards your version of the Good Life, but not able to afford it yet (putting it off for a year or so while you amass wealth).

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
FT1-

Like your post in the "definition of the FASTLANE" thread, we're not talking about the Good Life here.

But the good life is not synoymous with the fastlane, IMO.

-Russ H.

Absolutely! :hurray: You can be in the fastlane and be miserable!! You could be in the slowlane and be happy! You can be in NO lane and loving life! There is no "lane" precursor to being happy.

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
FT1-

But I don't think the good life is the same thing as the fastlane.

You can be in the slowland and have the Good Life.

And you could be in the fastlane and be miserable-- or-- more likely, you could be working towards your version of the Good Life, but not able to afford it yet (putting it off for a year or so while you amass wealth).

-Russ H.
Russ H,

If you re-read the original question he asked:

"Good? Bad? Slow Lane? Fast Lane?"

Since there are question marks after each, my response is definately appropriate and on topic. He didn't ask, "hey guys is this fastlane or slow lane?" only. My response was to the "Good? Bad?" portion.

Regarding my other comment, I was agreeing with another posters comment. What's wrong with that?

As moderator, I really don't see the point in you adressing my comments, especially since they both are in line with the question being asked and in response to another board members response. What's the point? Clearly i'm not hijacking either of these threads.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
"Would men patronize a place like this dedicated to men? Football and messages? Big plasma TV's and Pedicures? I envisioned a new business idea based on the new trend of men being hygiene conscious. Maybe call it the Man Cave?

A lot will depend on the area. In FL guys already shave their chest legs and armpits. They tan, bleach their hair and do a lot of things that us in the Midwest would consider strange. It could be a viable idea, I am imagining a lazy boy, big screen tv and a pedicure (granted the guy doesn't jump with every good play :rofl:)
With massages your face is usually down so not much football watching there.
Interesting idea non of the less, if you have the right market and convince the guys that it's OK

Here is another interesting idea that is actually a biz here - A hair salon with a bar attached - drink some before you get your haircut. The place is called Buzz

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
"At first, he just helped his wife, Katrina, stick labels on her brochures. Then after he joined her four years ago, their sales figures doubled. Now the parents of two have turned their garage into an Avon office and make between $30,000 and $50,000 a year."

170 reps 800k sales = 4705.00 per rep ave sales.
More trouble than its worth?
To me it is Slow Lane, but then again what do I know?

Janet

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I just saw the South Park episode the other night about metrosexuals (the one where the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy men are really crab people and are planning on taking over the earth by turing all the men femme). Hilarious. Man, I love South Park. Point is, men are becoming more aware of personal grooming. This whole concept of marketing feminine grooming to men will be interesting to see how it pans out. ...I'm all for manly men- love everything about them. ...Wish I could get my husband to get a pedicure- his toenails are so long and sharp that he could catch salmon swimming upstream, and that ain't sexy.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I just saw the South Park episode the other night about metrosexuals (the one where the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy men are really crab people and are planning on taking over the earth by turing all the men femme). Hilarious. Man, I love South Park. Point is, men are becoming more aware of personal grooming. This whole concept of marketing feminine grooming to men will be interesting to see how it pans out. ...I'm all for manly men- love everything about them. ...Wish I could get my husband to get a pedicure- his toenails are so long and sharp that he could catch salmon swimming upstream, and that ain't sexy.

But look at the plus side - you will never go hungry!

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
...I'm all for manly men- love everything about them. ...Wish I could get my husband to get a pedicure- his toenails are so long and sharp that he could catch salmon swimming upstream, and that ain't sexy.
My wife sent me to a "for men only" spa a couple of years ago. The place was run by women (very beautiful women) who wore all black.... they offered drinks, cigars and played jazz music. The place definately has a masculine feel to it. I'm no metrosexual, but after the pedicure, manicure and massage I was definately open to being "pampered" as my wife calls it.

If there isn't a place like that where you live, maybe you can suprise him was a spa visit for the both of you. :)

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
What a great idea for a man's salon! ...There is a bar in CA that is a nail salon/bar- so you can have a martini and get your nails done. They really rake it in- and were even featured on some TV show. Funny and interesting how some combos like that stick and others sink.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What a great idea for a man's salon! ...There is a bar in CA that is a nail salon/bar- so you can have a martini and get your nails done. They really rake it in- and were even featured on some TV show. Funny and interesting how some combos like that stick and others sink.

Its the anatomy of a billion dollar idea - a male oriented salon, sexy gals, sports, beer - then franchise the HELL out of it. Can you say FASTLANE? :smxG:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Its the anatomy of a billion dollar idea - a male oriented salon, sexy gals, sports, beer - then franchise the HELL out of it. Can you say FASTLANE? :smxG:
Fastlane.

Yeah, that definitely sounds fastlane to me. Are you taking investment capital yet? :cheers:

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I think I may seriously consider this idea considering how much my wife complains about such things (not really, but still)! I'll send you 10% of the net profits :smxB:

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
I think I may seriously consider this idea considering how much my wife complains about such things (not really, but still)! I'll send you 10% of the net profits :smxB:
The lady who started that biz invited a few local NFL & NBA athletes in for the grand opening. One of the TV news stations came and interviewed the athletes as they were getting their pedicures and massages. After that, the biz took off. She also did a lot of radio interviews. While waiting for my appt, guys were coming into the spa to get hair cuts (the barber was the only male employee) and some to hang out at the bar. Also, there was premium pricing on everything, but for the experience it was well worth it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The lady who started that biz invited a few local NFL & NBA athletes in for the grand opening. One of the TV news stations came and interviewed the athletes as they were getting their pedicures and massages. After that, the biz took off. She also did a lot of radio interviews. While waiting for my appt, guys were coming into the spa to get hair cuts (the barber was the only male employee) and some to hang out at the bar. Also, there was premium pricing on everything, but for the experience it was well worth it.

Which establishment are you referring too? Is there a website we can view? Thx!

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007

michael515

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2007
I once heard a stat that one of the most frequent clients of spa's was....

Truck Drivers!!!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I used to live in winter haven fla! beautiful place...Loads of water around! the lakes are georgous!

I think its great but that said untill they can do what they are doing without them doing the work themselves I belive this is slow lane....

as for the man spas I think they will just get bigger and bigger... Some men would never consider doing such a thing(such as my dh) but Im sure there are pleanty who would love a day of pampering..massages hair cuts facials the whole nine...id imagine those people in sales and with high reguard for their public appearence like actors, politicians, ceo's as well as countless others would have great intrest in this...

who woulda thought truck drivers! lol...

eta: and wow a little further down in the article they tlk about a guy from levittown pa! thats where i grew up and lived with my dh and kids till we moved here. weird lol...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.