The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Medium-Online Publishing Platform

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I am quite amazed by the ability of Medium platform to offer quality content in niche area that people do not talk about.

More than a few times when I was doing research on some topics using google, I found the almost perfect answers in Medium but almost zero useful information elsewhere (with Wikipedia being the unsatisfactory second best that focus on width without any depth or insights).

In short you find the content that you are willing to pay for people to research and write for you, if they have already been written.

What is your experience using Medium to consume content?

Does anyone of you write part-time or full time for Medium? It would be interesting to hear your views.

What do you think about the online content creation industry? Video vs blog vs podcast? Is this industry an overcrowded bubble selling hopes to aspiring influencer or the next big trend after e-commerce and online social network platform?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I am quite amazed by the ability of Medium platform to offer quality content in niche area that people do not talk about.

More than a few times when I was doing research on some topics using google, I found the almost perfect answers in Medium but almost zero useful information elsewhere (with Wikipedia being the unsatisfactory second best that focus on width without any depth or insights).

In short you find the content that you are willing to pay for people to research and write for you, if they have already been written.

What is your experience using Medium to consume content?

Does anyone of you write part-time or full time for Medium? It would be interesting to hear your views.

What do you think about the online content creation industry? Video vs blog vs podcast? Is this industry an overcrowded bubble selling hopes to aspiring influencer or the next big trend after e-commerce and online social network platform?
I do see one issue not being addressed by the industry-partial plagiarism.

Any youtube “guru” can often, and have often, pass an idea as his own when in fact he read it from somewhere.

And of course inevitably there is problem of control. When you rely on someone else platform there is always uncertainty.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
No one uses Medium to do marketing?

No one reads Medium?

No one writes on Medium here?

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
I read. And plan to start to write (yes I know you guys get tired of hearing about that, but I've got around a month to go, then I'm free to start).

It's definitely not 'saturated'.
Yes, a lot of the 'information' that is circulated around is similar / the same, but PRESENTATION matters a huge, huge deal.
What I think about this problem is, it's ok to, uh, 'borrow' ppl's ideas (ideally give them credit), but NEVER copy anything word for word.
What I mean is, put your own 'twist' on it. Let your personality shine through in the way you present your material, and it also helps to supplement with your own personal experience as well.
If you manage to build a personal brand, and ppl believe / can related to you, you have it made.

So in short, it's saturated, but it's not saturated.
If you know what I mean.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I'm involuntary reader.
For topic i read, most of articles are half baked - good title, good intro and then it ends.
I'm mostly like "what? They haven't even scratched the surface."

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
I'm involuntary reader.
For topic i read, most of articles are half baked - good title, good intro and then it ends.
I'm mostly like "what? They haven't even scratched the surface."

Money-chasing.

I aim to write high quality articles, that takes, miraculously, just over 10 mins. to read........

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I aim to write high quality articles, that takes, miraculously, just over 10 mins. to read........
That's good goal.

As for those i have read, maybe Pareto rule applies -80% of articles are half baked and only 20% are golden nuggets.
But anyway, when i see title in Google and it points to Medium it makes me cringe.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Some observation on facts and figures and trend.

-Jan 2019 medium top writer made 8k fkr that month
-The same figure is 35k in May 2019 (exponential growth?)
-Most common theme is lifehacks. Half of the articles seem to revolve around that.
- The writing on politics is heavily left leaning.

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I don't watch this person or pay too much attention to medium but I did find this to be a pretty interesting video. Might give you some insight. I think she posted some other video about it too - didn't watch it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGQn7xg2kSs

Either way, good luck on your medium efforts! Be consistent and I'm sure you'll see success or at least learn something.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
35k. Holy.
Could you give me an example of one of these top writers? :p

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
35k. Holy.
Could you give me an example of one of these top writers? :p
Its statistics published by Medium. But they do not reveal who the too person

Ayodeji is one of the popular writer there. According to him he makes around 10k from Medium.

Of course same as content creation everywhere people who make good money is the minority. Most make less than 100 a month.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.