The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Great opp? Medical: Mobile IV Service

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So I've been sick in bed for the last 5 days (non COVID, likely the flu) and it was probably the worst I felt in my life. First, I rarely get sick. Second, I vomited several times which for me is unusual -- in my 52 years of life on this planet, I've only vomited 2 times due to sickness. Now it is 3.

As my 4th day of sickness continued, followed by the worst night of my life with zero sleep, I was thinking about going to the ER as I clearly needed an IV infusion. However I was hesitant as I was extremely weak with dizziness, didn't feel like waiting X hours, and I didn't want to expose myself to a high-Covid risk environment. I was extremely dehydrated with an insatiable thirst. Problem was, I was nauseous and could not keep any water down ... in other words, the more water I drank, the worse I felt. The less water I had, the more thirsty I got, and quite frankly, I think I started getting delirious.

Anyhow, I feel pretty good today and I feel it is thanks to a relative new business that probably isn't available in your area: The Medical Mobile IV service.

Instead of going to the ER, I was able to find a mobile IV service that got to my house in under an hour. (Serendipity: When I called, they were already doing an IV in my town).

A nurse visited my home, needled me into an IV and gave me a variety of infusions, from vitamins to anti-nausea and anti-inflammatory meds. Within an hour, I felt better. Better, I was able to get a full night of sleep.

Today, I feel better. Not normal, but better.

Anyhow, the young lady who did my IV said the business was pretty new (started in April) and that she now works there full time due to the growth. She said the growth has been all word of mouth (productocracy anyone??) and it was started by an ER doctor who knew people always went to the ER for IVs for non-emergency situations (like mine). She also said that many of their customers are not fighting illness, but athletes and people who just do it for preventative measures. (Repeat customers anyone??)

While this isn't a *new* business and I haven't really examined any potential value skewing opportunities, this clearly is a business with a STRONG VALUE PROPOSITION. And strong value props have productocracy potential.

My infusion cost about $200. To me, it was worth thousands. And it SAVED me thousands and a trip to the ER. (Which would have cost me $3K anyway).

If you're in the medical field (doctor, nurse, etc.) and are looking for a potential opportunity, a mobile IV service might be something to examine. It would also be a good franchising model as I'm sure a few already exist.

Also, if you're not feeling well or need an edge in athletics, it might be worth your investigation to try an IV service, either mobile or brick and mortar (there are locations you can go to as well).

I hope this thread/post helps someone, in business, or health, or better, both!
~MJ

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
My infusion cost about $200. To me, it was worth thousands. And it SAVED me thousands and a trip to the ER. (Which would have cost me $3K anyway).

Anywhere you can find value skew against hospitals / established healthcare the margins will exist!

If you're in the medical field (doctor, nurse, etc.) and are looking for a potential opportunity, a mobile IV service might be something to examine. It would also be a good franchising model as I'm sure a few already exist.

Not sure, but would you need to be a registered nurse to do something like this?

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not sure, but would you need to be a registered nurse to do something like this?

Yes, not sure of the lady's credentials, but yes, some medical credentials will be needed. Perhaps a RN, or an MA.

Billythekid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 20, 2016
Poland
In my town, where are the corpo's exists, the mobile bus operates with hangover injection. You can drink whole weekend, call to they in Monday morning - they'll come to you, gives you the 30min shot and you are like new;)

ValueSystems

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Nice story, it reminds me of the same business in the tv series Billions, in which hedge funds got their traders on IVs for performance enhancement haha

Hope you get better soon, glad it wasn't covid!

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
I love this idea! I love when entrepreneurs start businesses like this and create great value! Extremely inspirational.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
The idea is certainly nice, but being from a medical family, I think that there are a lot of things that can go wrong with this, especially with inexperienced/cheaper staff. Maybe someone with medical background can comment on this?

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
FWIW, besides mobile IV, you can do mobile services for elderly/immobile - x-ray, ultrasound, blood/urine sampling, wound care, etc. My only concern is that the people doing this kind of service would be more like the cheapest clinic, not the best one.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
addon services: make sure to use related services (above is mentioned elderly care, with blood/urine sampling and other things that they would like to have done, or the "hangover cure vehicle" where you add on things like pickle juice as a hangover cure...

GTMS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Oct 9, 2020
So I've been sick in bed for the last 5 days (non COVID, likely the flu) and it was probably the worst I felt in my life. First, I rarely get sick. Second, I vomited several times which for me is unusual -- in my 52 years of life on this planet, I've only vomited 2 times due to sickness. Now it is 3.

As my 4th day of sickness continued, followed by the worst night of my life with zero sleep, I was thinking about going to the ER as I clearly needed an IV infusion. However I was hesitant as I was extremely weak with dizziness, didn't feel like waiting X hours, and I didn't want to expose myself to a high-Covid risk environment. I was extremely dehydrated with an insatiable thirst. Problem was, I was nauseous and could not keep any water down ... in other words, the more water I drank, the worse I felt. The less water I had, the more thirsty I got, and quite frankly, I think I started getting delirious.

Anyhow, I feel pretty good today and I feel it is thanks to a relative new business that probably isn't available in your area: The Medical Mobile IV service.

Instead of going to the ER, I was able to find a mobile IV service that got to my house in under an hour. (Serendipity: When I called, they were already doing an IV in my town).

A nurse visited my home, needled me into an IV and gave me a variety of infusions, from vitamins to anti-nausea and anti-inflammatory meds. Within an hour, I felt better. Better, I was able to get a full night of sleep.

Anyhow, the young lady who did my IV said the business was pretty new (started in April) and that she now works there full time due to the growth. She said the growth has been all word of mouth (productocracy anyone??) and it was started by an ER doctor who knew people always went to the ER for IVs for non-emergency situations (like mine). She also said that many of their customers are not fighting illness, but athletes and people who just do it for preventative measures. (Repeat customers anyone??)

While this isn't a *new* business and I haven't really examined any potential value skewing opportunities, this clearly is a business with a STRONG VALUE PROPOSITION. And strong value props have productocracy potential.

Also, if you're not feeling well or need an edge in athletics, it might be worth your investigation to try an IV service, either mobile or brick and mortar (there are locations you can go to as well).

~MJ

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing! So glad you’re feeling better!

Jessica Reid

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey

~MJ
My husband is a Physician... I'm definitely going to share this with him. Very interesting!

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast

~MJ
This exact service is part of the business model that’s launching in the next 2 to 3 weeks from my clinic

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
this can be scale-able albeit with a steady stream of good cheap labour force. I believe there are certain groups of individuals that have made their peoples proud by contributing to many a western societies through nursing and rna type work. In scandinavia its a lot of filipino nurses and nurses aides etc that have been a tremendous help during covid etc, and have worked for meager wages and are willing to as it is considerably many rungs above what they would get paid back home. Just a thought...

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Really useful in the US. However, I don’t see much potential in other countries where free healthcare exists.

Glad you’re feeling better.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I went to an outside event this summer in Oklahoma where it was 102 degrees the whole weekend and by the mid-Sunday the booth with nurses doing this were cranking it in.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In my town, where are the corpo's exists, the mobile bus operates with hangover injection. You can drink whole weekend, call to they in Monday morning - they'll come to you, gives you the 30min shot and you are like new;)

Yup, totally forgot about that "market segment" -- instant hangover relief!

My only concern is that the people doing this kind of service would be more like the cheapest clinic, not the best one.

I don't think so... for a nurse, this is a great job that would have a high demand over say, a job at a hospital, a hospice, an oncology operation, or a prison infirmary. And they earn tips.

My nurse even said she loves the job over the one she just left which was a cancer clinic. Also my wife (a nurse) even said it was the type of job she would like to have over everything she has done in the past.

Daniel.

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Sep 27, 2017
Long Beach, California
Yes, not sure of the lady's credentials, but yes, some medical credentials will be needed. Perhaps a RN, or an MA.
You must be an RN (Registered Nurse) you can also be an LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) with an IV-Certification but they're only limited to starting, hanging the fluids, but not certified to actually give the medication, so an RN would still need to be present.

My Wife has been an LVN for years and is actually scheduled to graduate as an RN in a few weeks (excited!)

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Does free equal good/ convenient?
It cannot have the same impact as in the US and you know it.
There’s an audience everywhere but not the same as in the US where it makes sense financially for people to pay $200 rather than $3000.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
There’s an audience everywhere but not the same as in the US where it makes sense financially for people to pay $200 rather than $3000.
I did not say that it would have the same impact. I did imply that it still may be valid and posed questions that you did not answer. Money is not the only reason that someone may wish to use this service.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Having a private nurse come to your home, versus climbing into a car and going to a overcrowded hospital where the "healthcare" is free? I'll take the former.

Xav243

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Belgium
Having a private nurse come to your home, versus climbing into a car and going to a overcrowded hospital where the "healthcare" is free? I'll take the former.
This kind of service, private nurse going to your home is very common where I come from (France) and live now (Belgium)
You can also have doctors coming to your home.
And it is cheap also because you get reimbursed by social services

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Unforuntately, I've had to call in these guys again as I've been in bed for the last 48 hours with some type of fever. Already feel a bit better.

Don't think it's Covid, but who knows. I got a test here which I'll use if it gets worse. It's a little unnverving for me as I'm rarely sick, but since I moved to a colder climate, I've already gotten sick twice.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
@MJ DeMarco You're probably still acclimatizing to the new location. Get well soon.

As far as the business potential here, I think even non-medical people can tap into this. I haven't looked to see if anything already exists, or what the bureaucratic red tape looks like.

However, what if someone launched a marketplace app, where medical professionals can make these runs? Nurses can work as self-employed independent contractors in the US. So an app like Uber or Rover. Instead of requesting a ride or a dog walker, you request a verified nurse to come hook you up to an IV, or whatever similar service you need.

As a marketplace, you of course get a cut of each request.

We can proudly say we have great healthcare quality in the US. Though at the same time, there is absolutely no reason people should have to pay $3k for something that can be done equally effectively for $200. The system is good, but overpriced, just like college. Something like this can help subsidize medical expenses for many.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Unforuntately, I've had to call in these guys again as I've been in bed for the last 48 hours with some type of fever. Already feel a bit better.

Don't think it's Covid, but who knows. I got a test here which I'll use if it gets worse. It's a little unnverving for me as I'm rarely sick, but since I moved to a colder climate, I've already gotten sick twice.

Well I tested positive for COVID, thus far I’m extremely fatigued with a moderate fever, I probably won’t be around for the next few days as I stay in bed. No other symptoms, I can smell and taste!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Well I tested positive for COVID, thus far I’m extremely fatigued with a moderate fever, I probably won’t be around for the next few days as I stay in bed. No other symptoms, I can smell and taste!
Ouch, wishing you a speedy recovery there MJ! It’s good that sense of smell and taste is there, that was gone in most of my friends and acquaintances who’ve had it, and I think it’s a sign you’re holding the infection at bay.

I chose to get the vax a few days ago to get around the almost complete travel restrictions here (did the JnJ one shot), and it also made me extremely fatigued, much harder to exercise, and I need to sleep sooner than before and sleep longer…

Never caught COVID, I should add, or if I did I must’ve been symptomless.

Get well soon!

Siffrin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 13, 2021
Sorry to hear that MJ, I hope you’ll recover quickly.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Hope you feel better soon. If possible, please keep us updated how you feel. But definitely prioritize staying in bed over doing anything.

It's a little unnverving for me as I'm rarely sick, but since I moved to a colder climate, I've already gotten sick twice.
When I'm in a warm climate, I never get sick and rarely have any health issues (including headaches). In a cold climate I get sick at least a couple of times a year and have headaches up to a few times a month.

Check into your humidity levels at home. Because of heating they may be too low which dries out the mucous membrane in the respiratory tract and increases the risk of getting sick.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.