The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Media Buying & Affiliate Offers for Profit?

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
Hey Guys! :)

My name is Dominik, I am 20 years old and in Online Marketing for 2 years.

I read TMF 10 months ago and used the Decision Matrix to find out, what is a goal oriented
project I should start for now.

Conclusion was that Media Buying for PPL and PPS Offers is a good option to build on.

I did a lot of research and am about to start the daily growth.

For now I studied eBooks on that topic, watched a course and read that media buying thread:

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...ing/im-large-online-media-buyer-amaa-1208283/

I am a bit confused about IM in general at the moment. It is not new for me that in general it is a "scam" niche, but it seems that there are very few people out there generating good profits.

Is Input/Output bad here?

For the "paid" advertising guys on here:

What do you guys think about media buying at the moment(few years ago it was different)?

I appreciate every advice I can get on here.

Thank you. :smoking:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
[HASHTAG]#UPDATE[/HASHTAG]

Took immediate action and got some results today.

Split tested some campaigns and spend 100$ advertising testing budget upfront.

Today I started a new set of testing campaigns and it showed some green numbers.

I get some personal advice from a media buyer doing this for almost a decade and just wanted
to share it on here.

If anybody wants to ask questions or give some advice, please feel free to post in this thread.

Would be very appreciated.

P.S. Updates coming soon.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
What kind of input are you looking for?

Media buys and paid traffic is a pretty large field, are you doing direct placement buys by contacting individual websites?

There are plenty of media buyers on this forum that LOVE to share their ideas (right or wrong) on media buying and how to do it best.

Glad you are already seeing some profits. I find this field extremely fun and fulfilling :)

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
What kind of input are you looking for?

Media buys and paid traffic is a pretty large field, are you doing direct placement buys by contacting individual websites?

There are plenty of media buyers on this forum that LOVE to share their ideas (right or wrong) on media buying and how to do it best.

Glad you are already seeing some profits. I find this field extremely fun and fulfilling :)
[HASHTAG]#update[/HASHTAG]

?

How are you - how did you - contact the sellers?

I first work with a self serve Traffic Network.

This has some advantages over direct buys for me in the beginning, like turning ads on/off whenever I want to.
My goal here is not to get profitable right away, the campaigns turned a bit negative to stay updated here.

But thats not a problem, because we can change some variables here :)

I can place the same Ad with a direct buy and get cheaper clicks OR
I can ask the CPA Network for a higher payout/go direct.

The last thing you want to do is stop a campaign you didn't get enough data
to tell that it is statistical significant.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My goal here is not to get profitable right away, the campaigns turned a bit negative to stay updated here.

But thats not a problem, because we can change some variables here :)

I can place the same Ad with a direct buy and get cheaper clicks OR
I can ask the CPA Network for a higher payout/go direct.

The last thing you want to do is stop a campaign you didn't get enough data
to tell that it is statistical significant.

This video might help you:

Media Buying for Profit eh?

Why does everyone assume that means affiliate marketing?

Another way that might work for you is to get direct deals with clients and provide media buying as a service.

Maybe you get paid hourly, or a flat-monthly-rate, to do the media buying for client businesses. Then you're getting paid, to use someone else's ad spend.

Oh, and you'll be rubbing shoulders with business owners, and finding out directly from them what's working and what's not, so you can learn that vertical really well, and can find out what else you can help those business owners with.

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
This video might help you:

Media Buying for Profit eh?

Why does everyone assume that means affiliate marketing?

Another way that might work for you is to get direct deals with clients and provide media buying as a service.

Maybe you get paid hourly, or a flat-monthly-rate, to do the media buying for client businesses. Then you're getting paid, to use someone else's ad spend.

Oh, and you'll be rubbing shoulders with business owners, and finding out directly from them what's working and what's not, so you can learn that vertical really well, and can find out what else you can help those business owners with.

That's a good idea, thanks.

Sorry the title should've been "Media Buying and Affiliate Offers for Profit?", you are absolutely right.

I figure it out very well to this point, because I invest the necessary hours in studying etc.

Still trying to have a balance between studying and working.

I've seen many Paid Ads people try to get in touch with business owners via Upwork.

Do you recommend this too? Or is Craigslist/Google/Local News a better solution here?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That's a good idea, thanks.

Sorry the title should've been "Media Buying and Affiliate Offers for Profit?", you are absolutely right.

I figure it out very well to this point, because I invest the necessary hours in studying etc.

Still trying to have a balance between studying and working.

I've seen many Paid Ads people try to get in touch with business owners via Upwork.

Do you recommend this too? Or is Craigslist/Google/Local News a better solution here?
I get my work through three sources (in no particular order):

1) Helping local businesses. (Check out thread "Spend your money on diesel and coffee.")

2) Doing a good job and getting referred on. This snowballs over the years as you can imagine.

3) Posting in forums (mostly I'm just on here now). I wasn't expecting to get work from forums. I figure busy business owners mostly don't hang out in forums, but forum members have come to know me as "The AdWords Guy" and have referred me to people outside the forum.

4) Building relationships with people who already have my clients (web developers, web designers, graphic designers, and marketing agency owners).

I don't put my hat in the ring with everyone else. I've never used Craigslist, or Upwork, or AdWords to get new clients (well not AdWords in the way you expect).

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
I get my work through three sources (in no particular order):

1) Helping local businesses. (Check out thread "Spend your money on diesel and coffee.")

2) Doing a good job and getting referred on. This snowballs over the years as you can imagine.

3) Posting in forums (mostly I'm just on here now). I wasn't expecting to get work from forums. I figure busy business owners mostly don't hang out in forums, but forum members have come to know me as "The AdWords Guy" and have referred me to people outside the forum.

4) Building relationships with people who already have my clients (web developers, web designers, graphic designers, and marketing agency owners).

I don't put my hat in the ring with everyone else. I've never used Craigslist, or Upwork, or AdWords to get new clients (well not AdWords in the way you expect).

Okay cool!

Happy Customers - Happy Life :D

The Companies, that do Media Buying(Male Enhancement, Pin Submits, Dating & Cam Offers etc.) seem to be very "undercover".

I need to think about a strategy to provide value to other businesses as well right?

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Last edited:

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
The companies you mentioned that are "undercover" do that for good reason, they are hiding from the world. Hiding from traffic sources, angry customers, even the FTC and other government agencies.

As someone who's been around the "paid traffic" world, here is how I would rank what I would do if I was starting over:

1) Promote my own compliant products (requires you have a few hundred bucks every month to test on ads, if you don't have the capital, get a job)

2) Consulting/advertising work for other businesses. If you don't have much experience in the advertising world, you just need to be transparent with that doing this approach. If you come in talking big game and saying you've spent 2 million on ads and then can't optimize a single $100/day campaign for a client you're screwed. Start small, get experience & case studies, grow by referral and keep raising rates. Edit: Start on upwork, there's demand for it on there

3) White-hat affiliate products. There's a lot of competition here but I'd take putting in the extra work and really having to be a great marketer than dealing with the shady end of the business any day.

4) "Traditional" affiliate marketing. Basically, the world that includes more technology and headaches than it involves media buying. Cloaking, running re-bills, etc. Sure you can possibly make some money here, a few people do, but for me personally I couldn't recommend it to someone as THE place to go.

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
The companies you mentioned that are "undercover" do that for good reason, they are hiding from the world. Hiding from traffic sources, angry customers, even the FTC and other government agencies.

As someone who's been around the "paid traffic" world, here is how I would rank what I would do if I was starting over:

1) Promote my own compliant products (requires you have a few hundred bucks every month to test on ads, if you don't have the capital, get a job)

2) Consulting/advertising work for other businesses. If you don't have much experience in the advertising world, you just need to be transparent with that doing this approach. If you come in talking big game and saying you've spent 2 million on ads and then can't optimize a single $100/day campaign for a client you're screwed. Start small, get experience & case studies, grow by referral and keep raising rates. Edit: Start on upwork, there's demand for it on there

3) White-hat affiliate products. There's a lot of competition here but I'd take putting in the extra work and really having to be a great marketer than dealing with the shady end of the business any day.

4) "Traditional" affiliate marketing. Basically, the world that includes more technology and headaches than it involves media buying. Cloaking, running re-bills, etc. Sure you can possibly make some money here, a few people do, but for me personally I couldn't recommend it to someone as THE place to go.

1) You mean doing E-Commerce with paid advertising?

2) Thats a good tip, thank you. Will definitely check this out.

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
update: Paused my campaign the last days, because I created my own Landingpages to get more data.
I will implement the same offer on these Landingpages now and go deeper into testing.

I know, that the commandment of control is not given with affiliate marketing, but I don't want to waste time/money right now
to promote my own products.

I will use Affiliate Networks to learn Media Buying and get an expert in this area.
So I will focus more on my own skillsets for the next weeks and optimise later on with own products etc.

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
UPDATE!

I'm a bit confused about the opinions in the Affiliate Marketing Area.
The more experienced Guys in this Forums told not to get into Affiliate Marketing to fuel the Fastlane Business.
I have not that much to invest at the moment and I will focus on help other businesses with their own Products
or Services to expand with my direct response marketing skills.

I don't know if I am right, but it seems that everybody is doing Lead Generation with Aff Networks and the click
prices are exactly in the range of being negative and with huge optimising effort barely breaking even.

Means the one with good relations to Networks and Advertisers wins the Game, because they can afford to spend
more, because their "funnel" is more optimised.

It is different to get there with limited ad budget, but I read about this in "Dotcom Secrets".

BUT if you have a Product with good margin to promote and there are NO middlemans in between it is possible
for the Guy with smaller money muscle to win.

Is this right? Just my point of view at the moment.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You're better off starting a Fastlane straight away than using affiliate marketing to weasel your way into it. Don't limit yourself. Something tells me your decision matrix was way off if it selected affiliate marketing as what you should do...

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
Update:

Took post from @Mike39 serious and agreed with 2)

Launched Website, didn't overcomplicate things and did some homework.

I mailed E-Commerce Companies and told them about the benefits they have from my service.

Not many replied but I set my first appointment today(need to drive a few hours).

Will go on with my strategy and do everything that is necessary to create some serious value.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
UPDATE!

I'm a bit confused about the opinions in the Affiliate Marketing Area.
The more experienced Guys in this Forums told not to get into Affiliate Marketing to fuel the Fastlane Business.

That's because people who haven't reached any type of success lack conviction and confidence, and are easily swayed by people's random opinions. It happened to you as well, and it took one post to sway your opinion. If you struggle a bit with whatever you're doing now, and someone tells you it won't work before you've proven otherwise, you'll change again. You have no "heart" yet.

People only give "advice" based on their own experience, everything someone says comes with context, and once you realize that you'll be able to extract the most value out of people's advice. One consistent truth is that most people don't know what the hell to think and the easiest way to lean is with the majority, even when they are being hypocritical without realizing it.

They will tell you that affiliate marketing is the wrong way to start or learn how to sell some shit, because you are just a salesman and have no control, and you gotta be Fastlane right away, so what do they recommend instead?

That you become a salesman for some random Chinese company you find on Alibaba and learn to sell some shit that way.

At the end of the day, just learn to sell some shit first, then build your empire under you brick by brick, end of story.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Good stuff. I just had a friend of mine close a $5k/mo deal Wednesday, his first client as well for advertising work (after having spent several years struggling with affiliate marketing)

Learning to sell is important, but making sure you're providing as much value to the world as you possibly can is the foundation for a happy and successful life.

If you're going to dump time and money into something, it may as well be building an asset for you and not just trying to earn a quick buck. Just do it the right way from the get-go

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.