The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Massive Lead Gen Business

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's too costly for local RCFE's/small businesses to be spending enough money on Google Ads to compete with these big companies.
I’d guess the big companies have big budgets and big marketing teams. From experience though they’re pretty easy to beat with a determined man and a sniper rifle.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I’d guess the big companies have big budgets and big marketing teams. From experience though they’re pretty easy to beat with a determined man and a sniper rifle.
A sniper rifle would be great lead gen for a funeral home, not so much for assisted living.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Is the place listed on google?

Get it on "google my business"

You need to be here first.

Screenshot (12).png

Create your listing, make the name "Brand name" + "type of service" + "-location". Make social media pages that have the name address and phone number all match. Get some 5 star reviews from your friends. You'll be at the top in no time. Mostly because your name will have exactly the search terms customers are looking for. My lawn care company is number one out of 100 companies in the area on google because of the above tips. An example would be "Mary Jane's Assisted Living - Pheonix" so when people search "assisted living pheonix" you come up first.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Local lead gen campaign structure for Google/Bing.

———————————

1) Campaign targets the whole of the US.

Keywords:
+service +location +statecode
e.g.
+assisted-living +charlotte +nc

For large cities or unique location names you can do just:
+service +location
e.g.
+assisted-living +chicago
+home-care +texas

———————————

2) Campaign targets the state (assumes unique location names in the state).

Keywords:
+service +location
e.g.
+home-care +charlotte

———————————

3) Campaign targets your catchment area.

Keywords:
+service
+service +near-me
Etc.

———————————

Your ads should match your keywords.

Get ninja points if your landing page(s) match your ads.

Check out the lead gen thread in my signature.

krak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 24, 2020
My mother has opened an RCFE (assisted living facility for seniors) a little over a year ago. Before opening this home, she was a full-time caregiver and hospice nurse. Previously, she worked in the ICU, but when her mother (my grandmother) got older and broke her hip - my mother started taking care of her full-time in our own home; thus starting her passion for hospice and senior living.

Fast forward to now, the RCFE is working, but finding patients to move in has been significantly harder than she expected. The typical lead generation methods for this business are: referrals from past patients, placement agencies, hospitals that are releasing patients, lead gen companies (i.e. aplaceformom.com, caring.com)

Referrals from past patients are certainly great when they come, but this is obviously hardest when just starting out and the list of previous patients is so small. Even with a large list of past patients, it's hit or miss whenever your previous patients will know of a friend who needs care (this is prob the best way to get patients, but can't be relied on at times when you have vacancies that need to be filled ASAP).

Hospitals that are releasing patients - In this business, it's very important to have patients who are still healthy and able to move around a fair amount. They often live longer and are much less difficult to take care of (as they won't need/want help with every little task including moving a few inches over in bed). Often times when patients are coming from the hospitals they are not in a very healthy condition and may even have a short time left to live. These aren't necessarily ideal patients for an RCFE.

Placement agencies are a great option that my mother does use but they often can go months without a lead - not enough leads to rely on

Lead Gen Companies are the most interesting for this conversation/post. These services are FREE for the customers (people looking for places for their loved one to live), all they have to do is provide their personal info (i.e. lead info). Once the companies have a lead, they will look within their database and offer suggestions of RCFE's to the customer. (This business model reminds me of somewhat of MJ's lead gen business, but optimized for assisted living facilities). If their lead ends up moving into any of the RCFE's they charge a fee of 120% of first month's rent. This is a HUGE fee for RCFE's to pay (rent will be between $4,000 - $7,000) and many times a new patient may only live a few months. On top of the 120% of month's rent, they also charge either monthly fee's for being active on their site or one-time initiations (the most popular site charges $3,000 just to be listed). The way these companies generate their own leads are through dominating SEO and also Google Ads. If you search for assisted living anywhere in the country there will be lots of competition for the top spots of google PLUS the google adword auction, by these massive lead gen companies with 6-figure+ ad budgets. Hence, here is the problem AND ALSO the opportunity. It's too costly for local RCFE's/small businesses to be spending enough money on Google Ads to compete with these big companies. The RCFE's are also stuck paying a huge premium when accepting a lead from these companies. There must be a better way for smaller RCFE's to advertise themselves locally and generate leads (my mother would be more than happy to pay $2,500 of her own ad spend to generate a move-in, as this would save her at least $2,500 she would have additionally spent with one of these companies. She'd also have significantly more control over her future ability to generate move-ins when needed).

The opportunity here is to generate leads at a lower price than $50/lead (assume that we will need 50 leads for 1 move-in). If it's possible to do this by leveraging other online advertising platforms (Facebook, Pinterest, etc.) not Google - then PLENTY of other RCFE's would need the help too. Thought this would be an interesting discussion/curious if people on here have any ideas how to help.

krak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 24, 2020
Exactly, I've ran Facebook ads for her with low budget to her GoDaddy website (not optimized for leads) and was able to generate 6 leads for $300 ($50/lead) - This is the number we were looking for, but my Facebook account + my sisters have since been restricted from advertising. I have a lot of experience running ads for ecom, but not much for lead gen. Would you recommend creating a ClickFunnels landing page specifically to send the Facebook ad to? For $300 we got around 320 clicks, but only 6 leads: 1.87% conversion. Looking through the numbers a second time they seem better than I remember, but I feel like the landing page optimized for leads could significantly boost conversions.

One speedbump: Running conversion ads for an RCFE is a special ad category because it's "housing" which limits the targeting like crazy. What kind of thoughts would you have on running an engagement campaign (since it's local traffic which should be warmer than nationwide) or any other tips for special ad categories?

krak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 24, 2020
View attachment 36097

** The moment you wish the new guy made their thread an INSIDERS only thread so the whole internet doesn't see the discussion of your niche ...**

Not true.

Some of these examples will be "click bait-y" and get your account shut down. Standard direct response "best practices" can be considered unethical in this space. You might want to seek out some alternative ad platforms to use them.

That's about all the advice I feel comfortable giving.
I appreciate these words, I was certainly skeptical posting this much info about the niche. My main goal here is simple though: Get my mom more patients - if this post provides any more info to help achieve that goal it was a success.

Is there a way to get this post unavailable from Google searches/etc. ?

krak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 24, 2020
The only way is to put it in the inside.

But maybe take assisted living facilities out of the title? That way it's at least not as optimized...

Or maybe it's not a big deal. Up to you bud. Good luck in your efforts!
Removed from the title, worth a shot

Appreciate it

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
This what you do @BizyDad ?

Or just suggesting the new guy keep his content more private?
Both.

I do marketing & lead gen in this space. I'll be launching software for this space. When that happens, I've thought I'll start an INSIDERS progress thread. I've considered owning my own spot or two (Admittedly I'm not sure I want the legal risk, and I'm not thrilled with the margins. But it would give me oversight if my parents ever need more help than I can provide.) I probably wouldn't have noticed how optimized the post was if I wasn't in this space, but ultimately it is krak's thread, so I was offering it as a suggestion.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It can be moved into the Speedway which isn’t indexed by Google and can only be accessed by people with the Speedway badge.

@krak ... it’s easy to get the Speedway badge. It’s just based on forum engagement and quite a low barrier.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
A couple of random thoughts/questions:

1) why did she start the business? Is there anything in particular that differentiates the facility from any other?

2) how is the lead volume from the major lead gen players? Are you guys taking everything you can get from them currently?

3) how many vacancies do you need to fill, both currently, and on a monthly basis? What about an average established facility in the industry? I'd imagine that it's not many, which would make it a challenge from the perspective of a leadgen business.

4) Is the 50 to 1 an estimate, or based on industry average data?

5) who is the decisionmaker and payor, typically?

krak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 24, 2020
A couple of random thoughts/questions:

1) why did she start the business? Is there anything in particular that differentiates the facility from any other?

2) how is the lead volume from the major lead gen players? Are you guys taking everything you can get from them currently?

3) how many vacancies do you need to fill, both currently, and on a monthly basis? What about an average established facility in the industry? I'd imagine that it's not many, which would make it a challenge from the perspective of a leadgen business.

4) Is the 50 to 1 an estimate, or based on industry average data?

5) who is the decisionmaker and payor, typically?
1) She started this business after taking care of her mother in our own home and realizing that many seniors certainly would prefer to live in a household setting over a large retirement center. There are plenty of RCFE facilities, my mom lives inside of hers and takes full-time care of the patients herself. Many RCFE's are operated by more business-driven owners who do not have a history in hospice/nursing and outsource the work to minimum wage caregivers.

2) She is only on one of the lead gen platforms (Caring.com) which told us that a nearby RCFE received 29 leads the previous month with 0 move-ins. She has been on this site for ~30 days and has gotten 0 leads even though her listing ranks well on it.

3) Average RCFE's will have roughly 6 beds and always assuming they have 1 vacancy consistently. To be at full occupancy 100% of the time is the goal but certainly rare, as there is constantly someone moving out or unfortunately passing. My mother's RCFE has 4 spots available in total (2 currently moved-in, leaving 2 vacancies)

4) 50 to 1 is an estimate based on a very small amount of data I have seen. With referrals coming from hospice companies, it can take only 2 leads per vacancy. For referrals coming from big lead gen companies (29 with 0 move-ins) is very possible.

5) This is my mother's business fully, I am not a part of it but am looking for ways to help her wherever I can. Finding a way to generate leads consistently for her would be EXTREMELY helpful and a weight off her chest.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Try facebook lead ads, you can still target locations, just not zip codes.

The fact that she lives in the home is a nice differentiator, I would focus on that angle:

- "A true home, not a corporate 'facility'.

-The dirty secret of the RCFE industry.../The unfortunate truth of most aged care homes...

-A home for Mom or Dad--owned and staffed, by a 24 hour live-in ICU nurse

-Who would you entrust? A minimum wage employee...or full time nurse owner?

-Local nurse opens unique home to solve the biggest problem

-"I treat them like my own mother"-- memory of deceased mother inspires local nurse

Even better if you can do a 30 second captioned video featuring her and the home, or maybe some happy residents talking about their experience.

Let us know how it goes!

Look at the ad library for ideas.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
hopeless-disappointed.gif

** The moment you wish the new guy made their thread an INSIDERS only thread so the whole internet doesn't see the discussion of your niche ...**

A sniper rifle would be great lead gen for a funeral home, not so much for assisted living.

Not true.

Try facebook lead ads, you can still target locations, just not zip codes.

The fact that she lives in the home is a nice differentiator, I would focus on that angle:

- "A true home, not a corporate 'facility'.

-The dirty secret of the RCFE industry.../The unfortunate truth of most aged care homes...

-A home for Mom or Dad--owned and staffed, by a 24 hour live-in ICU nurse

-Who would you entrust? A minimum wage employee...or full time nurse owner?

-Local nurse opens unique home to solve the biggest problem

-"I treat them like my own mother"-- memory of deceased mother inspires local nurse

Even better if you can do a 30 second captioned video featuring her and the home, or maybe some happy residents talking about their experience.

Let us know how it goes!

Look at the ad library for ideas.

Some of these examples will be "click bait-y" and get your account shut down. Standard direct response "best practices" can be considered unethical in this space. You might want to seek out some alternative ad platforms to use them.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I appreciate these words, I was certainly skeptical posting this much info about the niche. My main goal here is simple though: Get my mom more patients - if this post provides any more info to help achieve that goal it was a success.

The only way is to put it in the inside.

But maybe take assisted living facilities out of the title? That way it's at least not as optimized...

Or maybe it's not a big deal. Up to you bud. Good luck in your efforts!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

hopeless-disappointed.gif

Not true.

This what you do @BizyDad ?

Or just suggesting the new guy keep his content more private?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I’d really like to learn more about the tech behind lead gen and how you set up a site... I.e. programming the web app that lets you type in your location, and it shows all the database entries for that area, or better yet, dots on a map...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.