The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

massive construction waste

balilife

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 29, 2019
victoria . BC , Canada
Have many years experience in west coast Canadian construction industry. The amount of waste that ends up in the landfill is very disheartening. Any fellow forum members utilize upcycled business waste to create products or offer solutions to this issue? thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
@Vigilante this guy Verlin is promoting himself in like four different threads.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I have a student in the UK who works in construction. He was just talking to me yesterday about how a lot of demolished buildings here get recycled - the concrete and the steel are all re-usable.

Maybe a place to start would be investigating how / why people in the UK do it and then ask why people in your area don't do it?

balilife

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 29, 2019
victoria . BC , Canada
Good call. What we see here in Canada (west coast) is mostly wood waste. Wood waste I want to utilize via upcycle. Save the landfill and utilize building waste in a viable manner. Thank you for the response.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I have a student in the UK who works in construction. He was just talking to me yesterday about how a lot of demolished buildings here get recycled - the concrete and the steel are all re-usable.

Maybe a place to start would be investigating how / why people in the UK do it and then ask why people in your area don't do it?

I can tell you the why. There is a huge tax on Landfill here in the UK. An 8 yard skip will typically cost around £220 to £250 to fill and have taken away. That's over $300.

Also the buildings in the UK are predominantly brick or block with Tile or Slate roofs rather than timber frame and asphalt shingles as in a lot of Canada/US homes. We also have a lot of old building which were built with quality materials a hundred plus years ago. I currently own two houses, one built about 50 years ago (brick and block) and the other 120 years ago (stone).

Good quality bricks can be resold for reuse as will the tile, slate and stone if they are in good condition. Metals always have a scrap value in multiples of the cost to reclaim them (especially lead and copper), and concrete can be crushed for use in road construction etc.. Timber tends not to be reused as much unless it is an old building with oak beams, quality old doors, unusual windows and panelling etc. which will command a decent resale price.

There is big business in recycling old building materials with loads of Architectural Reclamation Yards throughout the UK selling everything from stained glass windows to church pews and chimney pots. Some of the stuff you see for sale can be 400 or 500 years old. Here is a Gothic window repurposed into a mirror for example:

Gothic Mirror

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I can tell you the why. There is a huge tax on Landfill here in the UK. An 8 yard skip will typically cost around £220 to £250 to fill and have taken away. That's over $300.

Also the buildings in the UK are predominantly brick or block with Tile or Slate roofs rather than timber frame and asphalt shingles as in a lot of Canada/US homes. We also have a lot of old building which were built with quality materials a hundred plus years ago. I currently own two houses, one built about 50 years ago (brick and block) and the other 120 years ago (stone).

Good quality bricks can be resold for reuse as will the tile, slate and stone if they are in good condition. Metals always have a scrap value in multiples of the cost to reclaim them (especially lead and copper), and concrete can be crushed for use in road construction etc.. Timber tends not to be reused as much unless it is an old building with oak beams, quality old doors, unusual windows and panelling etc. which will command a decent resale price.

There is big business in recycling old building materials with loads of Architectural Reclamation Yards throughout the UK selling everything from stained glass windows to church pews and chimney pots. Some of the stuff you see for sale can be 400 or 500 years old. Here is a Gothic window repurposed into a mirror for example:

Gothic Mirror

I was wondering if taxes would play a part in it. Thanks for the reply!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.