The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Make $500 This Weekend - Ikea Dresser Recall Opportunity

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Mark396

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 2, 2013
Ikea is recalling millions of their dressers and chests. The recalled chests and dressers are unstable if they are not properly anchored to the wall, posing a tip-over and entrapment hazard that can result in death or injuries to children.

Working the last 2 weekends, Ikea has paid me $1754.04
725bwy.jpg

725bwy.jpg

Ikea will refund the full purchase price + tax for the dressers. Refund is based on the price the year it was bought. No receipts required.

Recall Info

Step 1: Aquire recalled dressers
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pdf/non_malm_CoD_list_rev.pdf

All of my pick ups have been from craigslist, 5 miles app, or offerup app.

Set up craigslist notifications using - https://ifttt.com/
If the term "dresser" is used on craigslist in your city, you'll get an email.

The more drawers in the dresser, the higher of the value. A lot of the time the price is no longer listed on ikea.com. Checking the euro site of ikea will give you an idea of how much it's worth.

Schedule multiple pickups in the same afternoon to save time and gas.

Step 2: Get refund

You can either take them to ikea or schedule a truck to come pick up for free.

They have a limit of 8 dressers per ID. I got to 10 before they cut me off.
Get a friend or family return 8 more.

Ikea will ask you if you want store credit or refunded to credit.
Ask if cash is a possibility and they'll say yes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Ikea is recalling millions of their dressers and chests. The recalled chests and dressers are unstable if they are not properly anchored to the wall, posing a tip-over and entrapment hazard that can result in death or injuries to children.

725bwy.jpg

725bwy.jpg

Ikea will refund the full purchase price + tax for the dressers. Refund is based on the price the year it was bought. No receipts required.

Recall Info

Set up craigslist notifications using - https://ifttt.com/

The more drawers in the dresser, the higher of the value. A lot of the time the price is no longer listed on ikea.com. Checking the euro site of ikea will give you an idea of how much it's worth.

Hope this goes straight to the sidewalk forum, becomes gold, notable, pinned to the top and referred to in TMFL 2nd edition.

minirich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 4, 2016
Austria
I see this as morally questionable, just my feeling.

Besindes you are taking advantage of condition that will not last forever.
Either Ikea will reduce the limit even further, or you cannot find any more dressers.

Hope this goes straight to the sidewalk forum, becomes gold, notable, pinned to the top and referred to in TMFL 2nd edition.
I second that, it should go to Sidewalk forum and then get burried there and never mentioned again.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Don't get so caught up in dogma you forget to hustle. $500 in ads might be just enough to push you over the edge and make sales.

Hustle.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Don't get so caught up in dogma you forget to hustle. $500 in ads might be just enough to push you over the edge and make sales.

Hustle.

I think it's been proven over and over that you can't create long lasting wealth with a consumer mindset, and this is a prime example of this. Flipping burgers to fund your Fastlane at least teaches you that you are paid in direct correlation to the value you add society.

I mean, how would you feel about spending 2 weekends elaborating that ruse if it was not IKEA, but your mothers antique shop? If your morals, values and purpose dissipate as soon as a couple hundred bucks are on the table, how do you even expect to run a successful business?

G

Guest34764

I mean, how would you feel about spending 2 weekends elaborating that ruse if it was not IKEA, but your mothers antique shop? If your morals, values and purpose dissipate as soon as a couple hundred bucks are on the table, how do you even expect to run a successful business?

Well, they're being recalled for a reason.

One of these dressers could actually injure someone or become fatal.

@Mark396 Could have potentially saved someone's life, so In exchange for the money he's given, he potentially saves someone from injury.

What's morally questionable about that?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Whats the reverse on this?

Can you buy back the returned dressers without a warrantee and sell them yourself?

Maybe buy 100 and fit out a nursing home or student hall.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I think it's been proven over and over that you can't create long lasting wealth with a consumer mindset, and this is a prime example of this. Flipping burgers to fund your Fastlane at least teaches you that you are paid in direct correlation to the value you add society.

1. It's my mother's choice to run a recall.
2. Antique shops don't manufacture their products and aren't liable for damages from a faulty design without prior knowledge.

Get off your high horse dude. This is not a moral issue.

This is an issue of (some people on) this forum degrading anything that doesn't make you "passive income" and trying to shit on anything else.

It starts with a dollar. No one is saying this is a viable business. I'll gladly trade a weekend for $500 towards adspend. I'm bootstrapping.

This ruse would actually teach you:

Logistics for pick-ups.
Monitoring a platform for sales.
Basic customer service and interaction.
Not to make shit products that you will have to recall.

If you need to be able to look down on someone, offer to do it for 50% of the return value.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Well, they're being recalled for a reason.

Only in the USA you recall a dresser because people don't install it properly. They come with the tools to attach it to the wall.

IKEA sells millions of these in the EU (I have one just beside me), and they didn't recall it here.

The USA is known for high dollar lawsuits for ridiculous stuff, so IKEA just wants to cover their asses.

It's clever from the OP; but it's questionable on both sides.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Whats the reverse on this?

Can you buy back the returned dressers without a warrantee and sell them yourself?

Maybe buy 100 and fit out a nursing home or student hall.
This is great! Rep transferred!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I agree that this is questionable morally. Its legal, and probably ethical, but I feel like I have to take a shower after contemplating it.

Reminds me of the same feeling I get when I think about patent trolls or class action lawyers. Both of them take advantage of the good will of the system for their own benefit.

You'll obviously do whatever you want, but this is something I think you should consider.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
For those claiming a higher moral ground...

Now that you know about this recall will you be searching craigslist and other apps so you can notify the sellers that they can actually get a full refund if they take it to Ikea vs selling it for much less?

If you're going to claim this is immoral don't you now have the moral obligation to help these sellers get a full refund?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
For those claiming a higher moral ground...

Now that you know about this recall will you be searching craigslist and other apps so you can notify the sellers that they can actually get a full refund if they take it to Ikea vs selling it for much less?

If you're going to claim this is immoral don't you now have the moral obligation to help these sellers get a full refund?
no...why would I? I also dont walk around Africa offering food to starving children even though I see them on TV.

I replied the way I did because I wanted the OP to think about whether this is the kind of business he wants to get involved in long-term. I also wanted him to know that there was more than one person that thought that the idea had too much of an 'ick' factor. If it doesn't for you or for him...that's fine. We can disagree, and the sun will still come up tomorrow.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
no...why would I? I also dont walk around Africa offering food to starving children even though I see them on TV.

I replied the way I did because I wanted the OP to think about whether this is the kind of business he wants to get involved in long-term. I also wanted him to know that there was more than one person that thought that the idea had too much of an 'ick' factor. If it doesn't for you or for him...that's fine. We can disagree, and the sun will still come up tomorrow.
I never stated where I fall on the morality of this hustle. I only posted a question to stimulate further discussion and to think a bit deeper.

What is it exactly that makes this icky for you? Does it seem like he's taking advantage of Ikea? Taking advantage of the seller of the used furniture?

I don't think the OP has any intention for this to be a long term deal. It is what it is. A hustle.

Contrary to @Fred Chevry's assertion that one could learn more flipping burgers at McDonalds, there is much one can learn from hustling like this. @DaRK9 mentioned a few.

king156

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Feb 26, 2016
LOL if you stumbled across this why are you telling everyone ? Only a matter of time before Ikea sais enough is enough and clamps down and stops it. Way to go.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I never stated where I fall on the morality of this hustle. I only posted a question to stimulate further discussion and to think a bit deeper.

What is it exactly that makes this icky for you? Does it seem like he's taking advantage of Ikea? The seller of the used furniture?

I don't think the OP has any intention for this to be a long term deal. It is what it is. A hustle.

Contrary to @Fred Chevry's assertion that one could learn more flipping burgers at McDonalds, there is much one can learn from hustling like this. @DaRK9 mentioned a few.

Gotcha...

I've been trying to put it into words, and I think that's the closest I can come - takes advantage of Ikea. Ikea is only in this position because, as someone else suggested, people in the US are sue-happy. I mean, TV's can fall over too. I know that, and chose to wall-mount my TV instead of taking the chance that my kids might knock it over at some point.

Maybe I'm weird, but: Costco has an insanely good return policy. I don't return products there, even though I could, unless I felt that the product was defective or really just didn't meet my needs like I thought it would when I bought it. I know that people will buy something, use it for a bit, and then return it just because they can.

I've done businesses like this in the past. In my experience, its not worth it. I'd rather focus on providing customers with real value instead of gaming the system.

Mark396

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 2, 2013
LOL if you stumbled across this why are you telling everyone ? Only a matter of time before Ikea sais enough is enough and clamps down and stops it. Way to go.

Abundance mindset. There's millions of these dressers out there. If somebody else can learn or make a few bucks from dressers this was worth the time to write up.

You can always make money from craigslist flipping.

Mark396

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 2, 2013

What is it exactly that makes this icky for you? Does it seem like he's taking advantage of Ikea? Taking advantage of the seller of the used furniture?

Exactly. Short term hustle to pump money into other products.

If anyone see's anything I'm missing, please speak up.

Everyone comes out better than before.
Ikea: Less dressers on the market to potentially harm a child and cause a law suit.
Dresser Seller: Quick sale of their dresser and most of the time I'll pay their asking price.

Mark396

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 2, 2013
I was curious why people don't take their dresser to ikea for a refund or arrange a pick up.
Some people are aware of the recall and some are not. It may not be worth their time to drive
ikea for the refund.

I picked a dresser up and walked into ikea with 2 other dressers to find one the previous owner
of a dresser standing in line. He was fully aware of the recall and didn't want any part of the refund - I asked.

Carnage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Sep 4, 2015
Not bad.
Just shows that a little creativity and hustle can get you started. IKEA wants their shyt back, and ppl want to get rid of their shyt. He's just doing the dirty work.....I'm sure he will reinvest into his fastlane business.

minirich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 4, 2016
Austria
This is an issue of (some people on) this forum degrading anything that doesn't make you "passive income" and trying to shit on anything else.
Im not degrading because it is ont "Passive income" it is not fastlane, you can't really scale it and you can't relay on it to be there for ever.
Therefore you are violating the commandment of Scale and the Commandment of Control.
And don't whipe out the dream stealer card on me. :)

Hac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 2, 2016
I CAN PERSONALLY ATTEST TO THE MORAL DISCUSSION: WITH ME ITS A GUILTY CONSCIENCE THING... so i actually took the plunge and tried this today since i live in a metropolis like city and i was able to find one. i contacted maybe 5 or 6 sellers on CL and unsurprisingly basically all of them replied saying they were sold already. and some even mentioned they were getting multiple inquiries.. so obviously lots of people are already doing this apparently.

I managed to find only one that was on that recall list using some simple clever keyword searching that a simple "ikea" search would filter out. Long story short, I arrived at this lady's house and the house was in pretty bad shape i mean out front yard was a mess. Inside was VERY messy. Not hoarder messy but kinda messy. The lady was maybe in her forties and had two children a young boy and a young girl. The thing that gets me is this lady was a very nice lady. she seemed very proper and pleasant i dont think her house was messy because of poor hygiene but because of lack of time. She had just come from dropping her son off at soccer practice and was in a rush to cook dinner to pick her son back up and what not. Anyway, The dresser i bought from her was a tall PINK cabinet with super cute glittery girly stickers all over it. She had got it for her daughter to store "all her princess dresses." I honestly think im pretty good at reading people and in those few minutes of me examining the cabinet (basically dissecting it in search of that IKEA label to assure i could get paid for it)... the thought occured to me, "this is a very lovely lady. she strikes me as a single mother who is struggling for whatever reason. What reason i dont know. Maybe from being a single mother. Maybe because she isnt educated like some people or maybe because she doesnt know what life can offer her other than whatever full time job she has? This lady dished out 200 bucks for her daughter to store her princess dresses and she probably was hoping some other little girl would appreciate the girly cabinet. i know if i actually had a daughter she would love this cabinet. Im about to make a hundred dollars off this cabinet. I am such an a**hole." Like, in all honesty, i think that lady could probably use that money more than I could. This is the moral dillema i faced today. Im happy i did something productive that produced some income on my day off instead of lurking forums and stuff all day... but the guilt is kinda sucky.. i know she probably wouldve just sold it to someone else... but i guess im one of those high horse people and maybe this is a learning experience for me. Should i just suck it up and realize i will have to just take advantage of these opportunities when they present themselves in life? I doubt i'd run into an unfortunate situation like that again but im not sure if ill be checking CL for anymroe ikea postings soon..

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
... This lady dished out 200 bucks for her daughter to store her princess dresses and she probably was hoping some other little girl would appreciate the girly cabinet. i know if i actually had a daughter she would love this cabinet. Im about to make a hundred dollars off this cabinet. I am such an a**hole." ...
If that's how you feel, why keep the money?
Why not sell the cabinet to IKEA and bring the woman the money you made? You would have actually made her money, which it seems you feel like she can well use.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Sorry but to a degree, I honestly can't see where the 'morals' come into it.

If you take a different perspective, is this really too far removed from drop shipping? or outsourcing work?

OP has stumbled on a party willing to part with cash. Sellers are offloading their goods at a price they're happy with. OP 'flips' said products by returning them making his profit. The only difference is that you have a built in, guaranteed 'sale'.

But at its core. Do you tell a customer where they can get your products cheaper? Do you tell your suppliers where you can sell their products for more? Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if people don't care about the recall, they want rid of their old furniture and set their own price.

I buy and sell certain products frequently. I pay a fair price, and I know how I can add value to them for very little and sell them on at a fair price to people who need them whilst making a profit.

I'm just saying, is it really that different, or is it in essence what many of us do?

tbh it's quite a creative way to fund-raise, how many low-cost, 100% guaranteed sale transactions can you honestly say are out there? There are many who do make a living from this hustle..

I suppose the real solution could be to approach these people and say 'did you know I could make you an extra 20% on what you have this item for sale for - And take it away for you?'

You'd have people queuing up to sell to you, whilst feeling warm and fuzzy on the inside, who knows it could even make you get more stock..

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Im not degrading because it is ont "Passive income" it is not fastlane, you can't really scale it and you can't relay on it to be there for ever.
Therefore you are violating the commandment of Scale and the Commandment of Control.
And don't whipe out the dream stealer card on me. :)
Again. Enough dogma. Make some cash.

Zero people are saying this is scalable.

It's OK to do some non-fastlane hustles.

QGplOg.jpg

G

Guest34764

Zero people are saying this is scalable.

It's OK to do some non-fastlane hustles.

I flip bikes for a hustle.

Is it fastlane?Hell no, does it make money?

Sure does.

I don't really intend to scale it (besides buying multiple bikes) It's just a way to make $ to eventually make a fastlane business.

That's all a hustle is, a way to the fastlane, not the fastlane.

Hac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 2, 2016
If that's how you feel, why keep the money?
Why not sell the cabinet to IKEA and bring the woman the money you made? You would have actually made her money, which it seems you feel like she can well use.

because im going to pay myself before i pay someone else. I didnt tell other people to not do this or even say it was immoral. i was just explaining how a question of morality could come into play depending on the individual and that its a personal thing. Its not up for debate what every one thinks about this hustle. It works. Its not illegal. Who cares what ppl think of you as long as you are okay with you.. In my case, with this "hustle" i felt like this will not be good for my karma if i keep doing this so its just something that isnt for me. It made me money yes. and i will take that money. just pointing out that id rather make money knowing i actually offered fair value than by screwing ppl over.

Last edited:
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2019
is anyone else still doing this? heard some maryland workers got caught doing fraud?

725bwy.jpg

725bwy.jpg

Recall Info

Set up craigslist notifications using - IFTTT helps your apps and devices work together

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.