The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Luxury Cars of University Students in Vancouver

rexxkai

Lazy Noob
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Apr 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Rich kids of Vancouver
tumblr_n7if1gHTzr1tqgrlgo1_500.jpg

standard UBC parking lot scene
tumblr_n21eipOdon1tqgrlgo1_1280.jpg

458 with New Driver Tags
097115eaa03311e28ea222000a9f1946_7.jpg

Maserati GT
tumblr_ndde35Id5V1tqgrlgo1_1280.jpg

And the comments from Facebook: "BMWs are what peasants drive in Richmond"
tumblr_n32yt0efOY1tqgrlgo2_r1_500.png

standard university parking lot scenario

Edit: Apparently Vancouver has most luxury cars per capita, in North America

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

rexxkai

Lazy Noob
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Apr 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
tumblr_n32yt0efOY1tqgrlgo2_r1_500.png

parking lot again...
tumblr_mzt66mfXYm1tqgrlgo2_500.jpg

Actually a high school student’s. The car is so humble that you wouldn’t even notice it because of the camouflage.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
So what's the story behind all of these expensive cars driven by students?

Usually it's students from overseas, generally Asia or the Middle East. They come from big money, so when they come to the US their parents buy them really expensive cars. It's a status thing.

That being said, I have no idea what the point of this thread is.

I see people complaining about things like this all the time. Honestly who cares? Some people are born with more money than others, but there's nothing you can do to change that. I'm a car enthusiast but I HATE hearing other car guys say "I would appreciate that more." It's a dreamer's argument. Some people have nice things. You can either work towards them, or whine. This thread feels like whining.

rexxkai

Lazy Noob
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Apr 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
That being said, I have no idea what the point of this thread is.

I see people complaining about things like this all the time. Honestly who cares? Some people are born with more money than others, but there's nothing you can do to change that. I'm a car enthusiast but I HATE hearing other car guys say "I would appreciate that more." It's a dreamer's argument. Some people have nice things. You can either work towards them, or whine. This thread feels like whining.
The point is I want to share stuff I see with you guys... And show you guys the cool cars, since this is the off-topic rest-stop... you can call it whining or what you want, doesn't mean you can't whine and work towards something. If you don't like something you don't have to comment..

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014
Before few of you asked what's the point of this thread, I was thinking that the question would be about how and why students are putting lots of their money for luxurious cars, instead of getting them back into developing business, paying any university loand and etc stuff.

Or in other words, why the first thing they buy for their hard earned money is one of the fastest losing Initial value thing available on the market.

rexxkai

Lazy Noob
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Apr 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Before few of you asked what's the point of this thread, I was thinking that the question would be about how and why students are putting lots of their money for luxurious cars, instead of getting them back into developing business, paying any university loand and etc stuff.

Or in other words, why the first thing they buy for their hard earned money is one of the fastest losing Initial value thing available on the market.

oh, its not their money, its all their parents, asian parents fund their kids until they get married sometimes. cars,house,food, all the expenses.

these kids dont need to worry about money...

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Why not make friends with em? They likely have a parent who is an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs have problems. Some of them don't sell in US/CAN and might want to. Some of em wanna retire and want someone with a little 'hustle' to help (and sometimes the kids don't really wanna work all that hard). I have some of the most interesting conversations with these international students who come from money. They're not royals; their money is relatively new.

Plus, they need people to practice their English with, cuz god knows they don't speak it with their main friends.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
So what's the story behind all of these expensive cars driven by students?

In addition to what other people have said, China has numerous ways for government officials to become ultra-wealthy through means that we would typically term "corruption" if it happened in North America. Then, because Chinese universities have very little name recognition, they send their kids to the best universities in Canada, US, UK, etc.

I'd caution anyone from being prejudiced and automatically labeling any kid from China with a Lambo as having a corrupt plutocrat for a parent, but they definitely comprise a significant, non-zero number of these owners.

As a result, while I like their cars, I don't like they way some of them got there. It's totally fine and great to get rich from fishing or oil or owning factories, but we should strive to attain this kind of stuff through value creation, not by manipulating laws and taking advantaged of the illiterate, unmobile, or disenfranchised, by taking bribes, or stealing other people's IP.

Last edited:

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
Reminds me of this:

An Arab student sends an e-mail to his dad, saying:

Dear Dad,
Berlin is wonderful, people are nice and I really like it here, but Dad, I am a bit ashamed to arrive at my college with my pure-gold Ferrari 599GTB when all my teachers and many fellow students travel by train.
Your son,
Nasser

The next day, Nasser gets a reply to his e-mail from his dad:

My dear loving son,
Twenty million US Dollar has just been transferred to your account. Please stop shaming the family. Go and get yourself a train too.
Love,
your Dad

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
I'm not impressed at all by people who inherited their money. There's a reality show about rich trust fund kids in Beverly Hills and I got bored with it after the first couple of episodes because they're just ordinary people who don't do anything interesting.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I'm not impressed at all by people who inherited their money. There's a reality show about rich trust fund kids in Beverly Hills and I got bored with it after the first couple of episodes because they're just ordinary people who don't do anything interesting.
While self made entrepreneurs vomit rainbows and shit unicorns?

OzzieRob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 3, 2013
Perth, Australia
A lot of Asian students here in Australia have rich parents from Singapore.

While i was driving an old Datsun Stanza back in the 1990's at uni they were driving the latest Mercedes.

A fairly young Russian fellow down the road from me Zhenya Tsvetnenko is starting the world’s first bitcoin company
to be listed on a major stock exchange.

He started at uni speaking little English and developed a Horoscope app and sold the heck out of it.

He bought a fleet of exotic cars that lined his entire frontyard but sold them all except one. Why? because he realised he only needs and can only drive one car at a time.

Yeah...sleepy ol Perth, lol

http://www.brw.com.au/p/entrepreneurs/young_rich_lister_zhenya_tsvetnenko_4tNJu7w5JavjCp4Y6rrvJP

http://www.brw.com.au/p/entrepreneurs/young_rich_lister_zhenya_tsvetnenko_4tNJu7w5JavjCp4Y6rrvJP

Last edited:

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
There is an old French saying " dont teach an old monkey how to make faces " .........we, as a western society shoukd not even try to teach chinese parents how to raise their kids. Period.

D

DeletedUser394

Any asian parents want a caucasian adult adopted son? I'm available. Only need a ferrari and I'm good to go.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Any asian parents want a caucasian adult adopted son? I'm available. Only need a ferrari and I'm good to go.
My friend's parents actually might. You'll have to settle for their Mercedes GLK though. And there's lots of bears in our hood :/

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
It's totally fine and great to get rich from fishing or oil or owning factories

Because there's certainly never been any bribery, corruption, illegal collusion, or other gross malfeasance associated with empires built on those foundations.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Because there's certainly never been any bribery, corruption, illegal collusion, or other gross malfeasance associated with empires built on those foundations.

Not what I was implying, only that these could be legitimate industries, rather than making millions off of IP theft, which is basically the same level as being a heroin dealer or bank robber for a living, IMO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.