The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

LSD / Drugs and Entrepreneurship

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was asked my opinion on drugs (LSD) as a tool for creativity during one of my podcast interviews and frankly came up blank as I didn't have enough knowledge to form an opinion, other than SCRIPTED responses (drugs are bad/dangerous/etc.)

Your thoughts?

I could tell you that this would be "writers block" worst enemy.

Other related forum topics:

Nootropics (Brain drugs!)

O/T: Health - Nootropics? Anyone familiar with them?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
A lot of the Silicon Valley kids supposedly microdose LSD. That being enough to "loosen" the brain without having an actual trip, thus enabling you to think more creatively and freely.

Micro dosing is usually around 1/10th of a normal does.

Never had the balls to try it myself, but the science makes sense.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've done mushrooms before.

Before I say anything else I'll make it a strong point to say that I only chose to do them after extensive research on my own. When it comes to things I put in my body that may have real consequences, I do not trust word of mouth. Not even from a doctor. Some things I think it's important to research yourself, and drugs are certainly one of them.

That being said, my research lead me to believe that mushrooms are largely considered to be one of the safest drugs out there.

I also genuinely think they were one of the most valuable experiences I've engaged in. It felt like a hard reset on my mental well-being. Like I had been carrying around mental baggage for 20 some odd years that was suddenly washed away. It was really a refreshing experience. It was uplifting and informative and fun and left me feeling great for days/weeks after.

The experience itself was mind-opening. Your perceptions can be WILDLY different on these things. It's almost like an "unscripting" drug. I say that because all of the habits and norms we take for granted go out the window. Every experience and thought gets a chance to be thought about in a naked way. For example - I was living in an apartment at the time and all of a sudden I was questioning the sanity of these buildings. It no longer seemed normal that we stacked humans on top of each other in neat little squares. I spent a lot of time considering this. This isn't to say there's anything wrong with apartment buildings but it explains how something I took for granted as a habit was suddenly put under a microscope and I was given a way to look at it as if I had never heard of apartment buildings before. I had no frame of reference to put them in. Every thought was fresh and new and from a different angle.

Similarly I had a VERY hard time going back to work for all the reasons mentioned in the Millionaire Fastlane . This is before I had ever read the book. I suddenly thought I was wasting my life going to work, coming back, eating, sleeping, repeat. Why wasn't I going to a beach? There's nothing stopping me, I enjoy beaches, why am I wasting my life going to work? Life is F*cking amazing and I want to live it, damn it! Why do I spend so much time in the same places? I could walk out my door right now and be on a street I've never been on in 3 minutes. It would be an adventure. Maybe it wouldn't be a new country but it would be new and nothing's stopping me so why haven't I done that before? Why am I only allowed having fun 2 weeks out of the year on vacation? etc...

I recall reading that mushrooms (and other psychedelics) interrupt your ability to recall associations quickly or accurately. I have no idea if it's correct but the description fits. In your normal day to day lives your brain acts VERY quickly to make sense of everything. You look up and in a second that cloud is shaped like a turtle. Your brain just saw a random shape and in a split second decided it looked enough like a turtle that it made you think of a turtle. On mushrooms that lightning quick association doesn't exist. You need to think about everything as if there are no associations because for those few hours there pretty much isn't any.

Sam with habits. This is why so many people say mushrooms are FANTASTIC for breaking bad habits because you can't do anything "mindlessly" on mushrooms. If you want to go out for a smoke you better believe you are going to question every aspect of that habit, your health, the time you're wasting, the sanity of breathing in smoke, how humans ever decided this was a good idea, what the filter might be made of, why they are sold in packs that are all shaped the same way, why you can't just enjoy the fresh air without one, how your body craving one is almost like it's working against it's own self interest and that you aren't really in control of your own actions, how disgusted you are by the idea, etc.... Except this is just smoking. Forget the fact that you walk to the fridge and open it up out of boredom. Or tap your fingers when nervous. Or bloody anything. I spend about 2 hours considering why my normal habit was to have friends over ever weekend, buy some beer, play some board games, watch a movie, and do it all again next week. The habitual nature made no sense to me. I had to evaluate if this was how I wanted to live my life.

Every thought got it's turn for in depth analysis. You had no choice. You were on the ride whether you liked it or not.

Also your emotions get JACKED on these things. I actually don't really enjoy this aspect but it is what it is. Small jokes seem absolutely hilarious - you may very well laugh for 40 minutes until it hurts your cheeks. Good music feels world-altering and important. Conversely, negative experiences, even minor ones, feel world-ended. If someone in the room swallows wrong and chokes for a second while they regain their composure you think this person may very well be dying in front of you. Should you call the cops? An ambulance? Are you going to lose your friend this very moment? Sheer terror takes over. This is why 'sitters' are so highly recommended - to reassure you when unexpected things happen and to make sure everything keeps an even keel. I knew a guy who did some mushrooms and called the cops on himself because he quite literally thought he was going to die from some minor experience that any sober person would have laughed off in 5 seconds and not given it another thought. For my own experience I saw a argument between two people on whatever comedy movie we were trying to watch and it felt like I was a 10 year old being told my parents were getting a divorce and it was MY fault. Unpleasant. This is why you'll hear people highly recommend certain shows and movies with nothing but bright colors, laughs, and zero negativity - you can't handle negativity in that frame of mind but happy stuff is amazing.

And what's somewhat unique about mushrooms is that your thoughts are not washed away the next morning like they are with alcohol. You do some stupid shit on alcohol and sober you says "man, drunk me was a F*cking idiot". No. You wake up on mushrooms and you say "uhhh... why does everything I thought about still make perfect sense?". The reason it makes perfect sense is because you thought about it, really hard, in a critical way, and came to new conclusions based on opinions from a different point of view. Sure you'll look back and think laughing at a fart joke for 40 minutes was pretty stupid but any of the stuff you critically experienced sticks with you. Some people have literally quit drinking/smoking as a result of a positive mushroom experience. They are starting to explore the therapeutic uses of this drug in therapy sessions to get patients to consider unique perspectives that also happen to be originating from themselves (basically the plot of inception...).

Honestly, you gain a newfound respect for your brain and thought processes after just a single session. It's mind-blowing how different your thoughts are on these things. It's no wonder so many people, even hardcore atheists, report having a "spiritual experience" when on them. Perhaps not a religious experience, but spiritual. Above oneself. It feels like you were part of something special that you can't believe was possible.

Oh, and also some visual hallucinations. Don't expect the world to stay still. On mushrooms if the couch pattern wants to move around a bit who are you to tell it otherwise?

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
@JAJT awesome response! When you took shrooms, did you do it at your apartment or with friends somewhere else?

I'm reading around and to be honest, I'm considering trying a small dose. Sounds crazy but I'm curious.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This was many years ago but it was just with a trusted lifelong friend in my apartment. Safe friend in a safe space.

I do genuinely believe mushrooms can be an extremely positive and valuable experience. I feel like I understand my brain, moods, emotions, thoughts, etc... better as a result. The lasting feeling of positive well being for the next few days/weeks was extremely welcome. Like I said it was like a hard reset and that a weight was lifted off my brain. Basically I echo the opinions of many of the first hand accounts you hear about in the various studies and experiments.

And of course do your own research but the main reasons I decided to take the "risk" was that:

- You can't OD on mushrooms in any reasonable sense (you need to consume almost 4 lbs for a 160lb person to hit the median lethal dose, which nobody would ever do by accident and frankly nobody would sanely do on purpose either)
- They aren't addictive (in fact they become significantly less effective with repeated use)
- All the old tales of severe mental issues resulting from them are basically bunk (with one notable exception, see below)
- It's stupid-easy to grow them and the likelihood of being 'scammed' by a dealer is almost non existent. You can tell with your eyes if what's in front of you is a mushroom or not (unlike powders, pills, etc...). Also, the vast majority of places in North America sell the proper spores in ready-made sterile syringes, legally and over the counter at many smoke shops. Growing them may be illegal but gaining access to the proper ingredients couldn't be easier. The only risk is if you get handed wild poisonous mushrooms picked from the wild by a moron. Morons don't stay in business very long as killing your customers is a great way to get caught and thrown in jail.

In terms of one possible downside that worried me though, is HPPD: Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder - Wikipedia

G

Guest3722A

I witnessed someone go skyclad and then dance on fire... For a bit. Then an ambulance was called and his dumb a$$ was rushed to the hospital!

For a laugh check out the pupils on Steve Winwood in this:

And the guy on the tambourine is hilarious along with the conga player - best part is when the the tambourine player whips the tambourine out in the audience. These guys are in a different world with a different plane of thought. Check out the accenting patterns of the tambourine.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Reserving this spot for later when I have time to post
This topic can go in sooooooo many interesting directions

Edit: Alright. My best friend sold weed and pills in college, and he opened me up to the world of drugs. During that period of my life I did ALOT of drugs, including LSD.

Let me say this. It was during an acid trip during my senior year in college that gave me the "ah hah!" moment that led to me starting the business that I run now (and im doing very F**king well). For me, tripping on LSD was a way to see what I was really capable of in life. I was able to sit back and figure out how my mind really worked. How far I could go with my brain. Who I really was as an intellectual. I know that may not make sense, but that's the only way that I can explain it. It gave me the confidence to move forward, and take on tasks that most would deem "too hard"

I can honestly say that drugs changed my life for the better. From the "mind opening" experiences, to learning the actual chemistry and method behind the actual process. It's opened so many doors. I've met so many interesting people, who have given me great memories, or dropped real nuggets of knowledge. The counterculture can really be a beautiful thing if you're around the right people.

But let me come from an angle that im sure will be fresh to alot of you...
If you sell a physical product, more specifically a perishable...
It would be beneficial to learn strategies of successful drug dealers.
The drug world is a subsection of the business world. It takes strategy and tactics to become successful. The same characteristics that make you a good drug dealer are the same ones that will make you succeed in the legit business world. There's no way that you can take over a whole block, set up collaborations or even determine shipment routes unless you're bright enough to make the right decisions.

I have an acquaintance who used to move cocaine in the 90s (i learned this later on). He runs a VERY successful business producing and selling "smells" (I dont want to get too specific out of respect for him). He straight up told me that he uses the same strategies that he used on the streets to increase his sales, and that is why he's been doing so well for so long.
He has made a few suggestions that I have implemented in the past few weeks, and they have been GOLD

Last edited:

startinup

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jul 8, 2016
When I first saw this post I thought LordPhenny was back and was surprised to see MJ was the OP.

I've always had some interest in LSD and Shrooms for personal growth reasons. Never decided to do them yet because I either didn't know anyone I was comfortable enough around or didn't have a sitter.

From what I've learned it's important to:
  • have someone who is sober or very experienced to make sure you don't go down the wrong mental pathway and have a "Bad Trip".
  • test your substances if you are using LSD. Lot's of people sell drugs as LSD, but it often isn't the real thing.

For anyone curious, here's a introductory video I watched a couple years back when I was thinking about trying out LSD:

Erowid is a reliable site for drug information.

Hope this helps anyone interested learn a bit more :)

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Read an interesting article about this in Men's Journal, I think. LSD microdosing was mentioned as well as experimenting with the narcolepsy drug Modafinil. It was developed for use by the Air Force during the cold war, and when used, you can expect to stay awake and quite functional for days at a time if necessary. You could send your productivity levels off the charts, and many of the Silicon Valley ilk use this as well and stay up for days writing code. It is fairly low-risk, but of course, it's a prescription drug and any non-standard method of procurement would have to be investigated by the individual.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Steve Jobs has taken LSD in his youth and said it had a profound effect on his life.

Both of my friends who have tried Ayahusca, have nothing but positive things to say about their "trips". In fact, both are going to South America to do more as it is a gateway for more introspection and peace. A lot of soldiers suffering from PTSD are using Ayahusca. It can definitely help with depression and anxiety. One big takeaway I hear from these trips is that there is a lot more self forgiveness and understanding about yourself when you let your "sub conscious" speak.

I hear that you should "graduate" if you want to do psychedelics. Its first mushrooms-> LSD-> Ayahusca-> DMT.
From my very limited understanding of these drugs, it activates the DMT chemical in your brain that is responsible for "vivid" dreams, or most commonly known as the "spirit" molecule.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk
"The spirit molecule" documentary

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLKC_x2JUsg
"vets seeking help with ayahusca"

I haven't tried it yet but would eventually...

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  1. I take caffeine and theanine when I need to get my energy levels up on the weekends.
  2. It is like taking a dosed version of green tea.
  3. It gives me a sense of tranquility and focus.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Interesting post. I am considering taking a DMT, although some more research is needed. I am not comfortable taking it without any proper research done in the first place. I am especially triggered by the possibility of 'resetting' my mind of all the negative emotions and limiting self-beliefs; I am 100% convinced that my mind is like a dirty kettle that needs to be properly cleaned and DMT is probably the best cleaner in the market...

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Interesting post. I am considering taking a DMT, although some more research is needed. I am not comfortable taking it without any proper research done in the first place. I am especially triggered by the possibility of 'resetting' my mind of all the negative emotions and limiting self-beliefs; I am 100% convinced that my mind is like a dirty kettle that needs to be properly cleaned and DMT is probably the best cleaner in the market...

You might want to try meditation.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland

I practiced it for like a week, but stopped it for reasons I can not remember.

I am thinking of starting it again this week.

Do you practice it?

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Was an EMT in a former life and so always ended-up seeing the worst side of drug use. That's a biased data set by definition (i.e., they called the ambulance so sh*t was going down) but I still can't shake it.

Drug are bad, mmm'kay?

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
I practiced it for like a week, but stopped it for reasons I can not remember.

I am thinking of starting it again this week.

Do you practice it?

Off and on. I find that it helps you learn and study as it clears the mental garbage.

I find that I am more relaxed and less emotionally reactive and completely focused.

5-10 mins a day to start off with will probably do wonders for you. The hard part is developing this into a daily habit.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Off and on. I find that it helps you learn and study as it clears the mental garbage.

I find that I am more relaxed and less emotionally reactive and completely focused.

5-10 mins a day to start off with will probably do wonders for you. The hard part is developing this into a daily habit.

Thanks for reply. I think one of the reasons why I quit it was because it didn't become my habit. It takes roughly 30 days for an activity to become a habit, so I should have done it for a bit longer I guess. Oh, well, it's never too late... I'll do it again starting from tomorrow, it takes only 10-20 mins a day anyway and results are more than worth it!

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I think I will begin my 30 day progress thread on combined effect of meditation and theanine+caffeine. At least it's going to be a short progress thread that may help someone on the forum.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I think I will begin my 30 day progress thread on combined effect of meditation and theanine+caffeine. At least it's going to be a short progress thread that may help someone on the forum.

• Meditation is the best, check out the Insight Timer app.
  • There are certain meditations that energize me and others that help me release and feel at ease
  • I do not recommend taking caffeine and theanine at night for obvious reasons...
  • Caffeine's half life is around 6-8 hours, whereas l-theanine's is around 3

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
  • Meditation is the best, check out the Insight Timer app.
  • There are certain meditations that energize me and others that help me release and feel at ease
  • I do not recommend taking caffeine and theanine at night for obvious reasons...
  • Caffeine's half life is around 6-8 hours, whereas l-theanine's is around 3

You, dear sir, are one of the reasons why I love this forum so much! Thank you, for providing this info!

D

Deleted2BB3x9

If there was a drug for entrepreneurship it would be pure LSD. Simply for its analytical properties.

150 micrograms is a good dose to start.

LSD is especially helpful for analyzing your behavior and the behavior of others.

Last edited by a moderator:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
The tv series mad men features lsd a lot, along with anything to do with Steve jobs. This made me go down that rabbit hole, I bought the book in the second post, and then got a job where I'm drug tested, I wish I could continue on that journey but I love the job.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When I first saw this post I thought LordPhenny was back and was surprised to see MJ was the OP.

Ha Ha, well someone asked me on a podcast interview and I was clueless that it is apparently being used as some type of creative nudge into the Akashic record.

And a gentle reminder: MYSELF, THIS FORUM, or MY COMPANY DOES NOT ADVOCATE DRUG USE OR RECOMMEND ANY KIND OF EXPERIMENTATION.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
Great thread.

I haven't used psychedelics since I was much younger and much less serious about my life. That said, I often consider the possibility that maybe there is something to be gained by treating psychedelics more maturely than my teen and twenty something self did. In the years since then, I've gone more toward meditation and away from medication and don't regret that. Still, the mushrooms call to me in a way that is different than the urges to hit other, more destructive vices of old.

Like any drug, the potential for abuse is real. That said psychedelics have benefits that are not well understood. The hippies created a stigma that put a stop on legitimate research into the whole category of pharmaceuticals. There is something to gain from the experience in the right context. What that context is.... well that's the question. I could tell you what it isn't, but I'm not about to rat myself out that thoroughly.

There are a couple of chapters about psychedelics in Tim Ferris latest book. Tools of Titans is a bunch of short pieces and interviews strung together. (Some better than others.) Point being the relevant chapter's are not just Tim's opinions, there is material from other people with their own fields of competence.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
If you can find a connection, do it
I hate when people suggest this
The benefits between the 2 are night and day
I know you're trying to be helpful, but all you're doing is discouraging him from a potentially beneficial experience

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.