The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking to create a website based on user submitted data

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 14, 2018
Hello, all!

I have a business idea I want to explore and it requires the design of a website. What I'm looking for information on, is for sites such as padmapper, freeairpump, gas buddy, what skills are required for one to develop something that looks at local businesses via an interactive online map such as google? In other words, a user submits their zip-code, and specific data relevant to the search itself (due to the website itself, i.e., places with free air, or user generated data for gas stations, at the latter sites) comes up with local businesses around them. My niche would require the ability individuals to submit data on their findings in categories, so something interactive in that sense would be required.

To help explain what I'm looking for, consider this; a user goes to my website for services of "x". They enter their zip-code, locate businesses that show services for "x", and they are allowed to post data related to said business, and view submitted data by previous users.

I have delved into HTML, and it seems fairly straightforward, but I'm not sure what else is required to understand to accomplish my goal. I see all sorts of templates out there for web design but I'm not sure if there's a template for what I'm looking to do.

If you need me to explain anything further, I would be glad to do so. If there's any online resources, or recommend books to read, I would very much love to hear about them. Many thanks for any assistance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
Unless I'm mistaken, you want a website where users go and search for services and the results that the website brings back should also be user-inputted data from an earlier point in time rather than a Google result.

To achieve this, it's fairly straightforward.
  1. Design a website with a good layout and style it according to how you wish for it to look. In order to do so, you'll need skills in HTML and CSS. If you lack these skills, you can also try the alternative of surfing marketplaces which sell website templates.
  2. Create a database and in particular, ensure you have a column for the category as we'll need this one word to refine our search later on. In order to do this, skills in PHP are required. YouTube is your friend for this sort of thing.
  3. Embed your database with your front-end and start 'coding' the functions. Make the search bar come to life and ensure you've got a page which will show the users the results he/she will be looking for. In order to achieve this, you'll probably need to be skilled in PHP, MySQL.
  4. To make it look that little bit extra, you can add animations for UI/UX purposes. To achieve this, JS and JQuery are your best options.
This is just a basic-looking overview. Obviously, you'll have to further improve your skills if need be before you can create what you wish for.

If not, you could always hit up a web designer and a web developer and get the thing done. I'd estimate it to take around 2 hours. Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

FYI: All opinions and choice of programming/coding languages are my own.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.