The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for Weekly Accountability Mastermind Group

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Looking for a few guys/gals to start a new mastermind group with that meets once a week, to keep each other on track and accountable.
Post here or DM if interested!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Looking for a few guys/gals to start a new mastermind group with that meets once a week, to keep each other on track and accountable.
Post here or DM if interested!!
count me in

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I’m in a new Slack group for men called Sail...
podcast on it here:

we’re using an app called “withpeers” to keep track of each other...light touch nothing too heavy just yet! Based on the Atomic Habits book...

Feel free to check it out!

WithPeers.png

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
DM'd everybody. Any more takers??

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
My experience with masterminds has been limited, but, pretty mediocre.

I'm a member of one on telegram, and it's just people posting memes and... yeah.

--
I've been a member of EO, and did monthly meetings with peers in business, and that was quite helpful.
But, still, not totally wildly amazing.

I'd be interested in a mastermind of people who were already doing things, and wanted to do MORE.
Have $1M in sales, and want to get to $10M. That is interesting.
Have a cool charity, and want to EXPAND it.
Are doing some crazy things in life, and looking to do them better, faster, more efficiently.
Even doing sports or anything. Just people really pushing themselves.

If it's just people discussing hopes and dreams.
I think that's what most of them are, that I've experienced so far.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@LightHouse should they be 'interested' or 'committed'?

Take your groups seriously. They will change all of your lives.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Make it a paid group, even if it's a small amount,to weed out tire kickers. And if you don't achieve some minimum, you get kicked out.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Make it a paid group, even if it's a small amount,to weed out tire kickers. And if you don't achieve some minimum, you get kicked out.
that will lead to people faking their results, which is even worst.

@LightHouse some tips or guidelines of how should we make this work out will be appreciated.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Everybody who's serious message me on Telegram 619 919 3052.

I didn't want to impose a "minimum" but I would like for it to be people around my level. Meaning, not people starting their first business attempt, also not people doing 30+M/year because there is a middle ground that will be much more beneficial to us.

Text me on Telegram and I'll add you. It will be a serious group of about 5 or 6 people tops, no meme shit, no dreams, no Mental masturbation or you'll be kicked quick. Action ONLY.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@GravyBoat careful! you do not want an echo chamber.

i am lucky enough to be in several groups .... .some we are doing nearly the same thing, others we are ALL different in what we are doing and our approaches. BOTH help greatly.

also, create a culture where more time is spent helping others than yourself!

Stash

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 1, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
They should be interested until they know what the group is about. Can’t commit to “generic mastermind group.” Obviously forming a solid group requires commitment but also rules of conduct and expectations. Depending on the level of commitment, I’m interested. I’ve been committed to other groups until the rules changed or until the requirements of the group were more than I could continue to commit to.
I’m interested in knowing what successful TFF groups have done. Can anyone weigh in on groups they’ve been a part of and what made it successful?
I was a part of a group that met weekly but also chatted throughout the week. The daily obligations left me unable to commit long term but it wasn’t focused on just business and entrepreneurship either.
So naturally, what makes a mastermind group like this successful? Or does it lead to more thought MB and just filling time that could be better spent “getting to work?”
Depends on where everyone is in their journey I think.

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
My mastermind group started in January 2014. That's almost 7 years of consistent meetings even through marriages, babies, deaths in the family, major business changes, C0VlD-19, and more.

It's a free, self-run mastermind.

There are five of us in the group. Four of us met at a one-day workshop by Pat Flynn. A few months later, we pulled in our fifth member, when the original fifth & sixth team members didn't work out. Two of us had met him at another related conference.

We gather every other week for one hour. The meeting day and time is the same. In our case, it's Tuesday at 10am. Sometimes, if people are traveling, we'll push our meeting out another week. We never let it go longer than 3 weeks without a meeting.

Every other week is our sweet spot. We tried weekly at first, but it seemed a little overkill with everyone's commitments.

Format
Our standard meeting is a modified "hot seat" format, by Jaime Masters (SPI podcast 098):
  • 15-20 minutes: Update - Everyone gets 3-5 minutes for a quick update (except the person in the "hot seat"). Usually, this includes sharing one business "win."
  • 30-40 minutes: Hot seat - Whatever the person in the hot seat wants to discuss or get feedback on.
  • 2 minutes: Accountability - Everyone states, in one sentence, the One Thing to be accomplished by next meeting.

1) Five people is a good number. If it comes down to it, there's always a majority vote. If someone's missing or can't attend, there are still enough people around to give feedback to the person in the hot seat.

2) We always start and end on time. Everyone's time is valuable.

3) We meet by Google Hangout (Meet now), but we have a secret FB group for sharing files, meeting minutes, or issues that come up between meetings. In this day and age, there's no excuse not to require it be a video meeting. Otherwise, you're missing the non-verbal cues of a conversation, which are the most important part!

4) You need someone to moderate and herd the cats... someone who can schedule the calendar invites, make sure everyone's online, ensure nobody hogs up too much time, and that you stick to the agenda. You need someone who's not afraid to have a discussion with or kick out members that aren't a good fit. In the beginning, that was me, but now we pretty much self-regulate. I also write up a meeting minutes after each meeting, which I post in the FB group. It's just fun to look back and see how much we've all grown over the past 6+ years.

5) Keeping it to the "hot seat" format makes it feel like we're all giving and receiving value. It's focused, with a clear objective -- Help the guy in the "hot seat." Otherwise, you could spend the whole hour just "catching up," with no results. In the long run, that's not very helpful, unless you just want to use your mastermind as an excuse for a social happy hour. We did diverge from the "hot seat" format for the first two meetings after C0VlD-19, because there was a lot to be discussed with the changing landscape.

Other Thoughts
1) I know a lot of people use Slack, and I'm in a Slack server with a few people from this forum. The problem with Slack is that it's not consistent, it can turn into random banter, and it's pretty time consuming. This one hour, virtual face-to-face is much more effective. There's a clear objective that's time-constrained.

2) You want to make sure everyone's on the same experience level. For our group, we wanted to make sure everyone was working on their business full-time, and required at least a few years of online experience. One of our members did have to take a job. No shame in that, we just changed the meeting time to work with his schedule.

3) We're not all in the same industry, but we all have online businesses (FBA, e-commerce, podcaster, author, speaker). I think it's better this way, because each of us have different sources of news or people that we follow. There's actually a lot of crossover in areas such as marketing, SEO, and PPC.

4) We're all super open with our financials. I think that the transparency and vulnerability make the group more tight-knit.

Entrepreneurship can be a lonely road, but it can also be a fun-filled adventure with friends. I finally feel like I'm having some business success, and it's due in large part to my mastermind group and to the friends I've made on this forum. Sincere thank you to all of you... you guys know who you are.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

I'm a member of one on telegram, and it's just people posting memes and... yeah.

--
I've been a member of EO, and did monthly meetings with peers in business, and that was quite helpful.

I'd be interested in a mastermind of people who were already doing things, and wanted to do MORE.
Are doing some crazy things in life, and looking to do them better, faster, more efficiently.

So then where do you lie? You give two extreme examples then say you want people closer to where you are..... where are you?

Everybody who's serious message me on Telegram 619 919 3052.

I didn't want to impose a "minimum" but I would like for it to be people around my level. Meaning, not people starting their first business attempt, also not people doing 30+M/year because there is a middle ground that will be much more beneficial to us.

Text me on Telegram and I'll add you. It will be a serious group of about 5 or 6 people tops, no meme shit, no dreams, no Mental masturbation or you'll be kicked quick. Action ONLY.

Same question, where are you actually at? You give a range of new and 30M.....

@LightHouse should they be 'interested' or 'committed'?

Take your groups seriously. They will change all of your lives.

And this is only the BASE litmus test.

that will lead to people faking their results, which is even worst.

@LightHouse some tips or guidelines of how should we make this work out will be appreciated.

@Raja thanks for asking. @AnneC laid out her group above which is really really solid advice. So the part I'm going to cover is the members themselves.

This topic comes up often and from what I've seen (which could be very incorrect) almost none of them succeed. I would not be interested in a free "lets hold each other accountable" group with a bunch of folks from the internet without proper vetting first.

The reason being? People are way too sensitive and not near committed enough to get results with each other.

Holding someone accountable only works if you have the ability to hold yourself accountable first. Because you are the one that lives with the decisions you make and intuitively "you" dont want to be told what to do in the first place which is why you chose the entrepreneur path.

If you can hold yourself accountable, you know the kind of hard line questions you have to ask yourself. If you do that well, you'll also have the confidence to ask the others that, and that ultimately is where group accountability lies. Asking the hard questions.

Easy example for you. I was on a call2 weeks ago in which @ZCP was as well. I asked one of the members about a project that had been sitting out there for weeks.... months? (not totally sure but it was some time). The questions were so direct at a face level they seemed offensive.

Q: Why havent you gotten the project done yet?
A: Well it's in process, its held up by a contractor
Q: When will you get it back?
A: I do not know...
Q: Wait, do you even care about this? How could you not have an expectation of time if this is ACTUALLY a priority?
A: This is a priority and I do care
Q: It doesnt seem like it, and that is ok if it's not. If it's not a priority, lets get rid of it and stop talking about it. If it is, get that timeline, make your forecast/timeline and get it moving, **there is nothing else to talk about with respects to this call timeline** (this part was implied not said outright)

The very next week it was complete. If I wasn't able to ask myself the same questions, I wouldn't have been able to ask that person and hold them to a higher standard than i hold myself.

Point being, Vetting members isn't a suggestion, it's a baseline requirement. Don't let it become a time suck or source of significance for you... because neither help you get more work done or be more effective/efficient.

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA

--

This ^ is good...I am interested

AdrianB

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 24, 2018
Romania
Hey! Great idea! I am also looking to be part of a mastermind group, but as @WestCoast mentioned, I would like to be something motivating, results-driven. Count me in

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
So then where do you lie? You give two extreme examples then say you want people closer to where you are..... where are you?

Same question, where are you actually at? You give a range of new and 30M.....

And this is only the BASE litmus test.

@Raja thanks for asking. @AnneC laid out her group above which is really really solid advice. So the part I'm going to cover is the members themselves.

This topic comes up often and from what I've seen (which could be very incorrect) almost none of them succeed. I would not be interested in a free "lets hold each other accountable" group with a bunch of folks from the internet without proper vetting first.

The reason being? People are way too sensitive and not near committed enough to get results with each other.

Holding someone accountable only works if you have the ability to hold yourself accountable first. Because you are the one that lives with the decisions you make and intuitively "you" dont want to be told what to do in the first place which is why you chose the entrepreneur path.

If you can hold yourself accountable, you know the kind of hard line questions you have to ask yourself. If you do that well, you'll also have the confidence to ask the others that, and that ultimately is where group accountability lies. Asking the hard questions.

Easy example for you. I was on a call2 weeks ago in which @ZCP was as well. I asked one of the members about a project that had been sitting out there for weeks.... months? (not totally sure but it was some time). The questions were so direct at a face level they seemed offensive.

Q: Why havent you gotten the project done yet?
A: Well it's in process, its held up by a contractor
Q: When will you get it back?
A: I do not know...
Q: Wait, do you even care about this? How could you not have an expectation of time if this is ACTUALLY a priority?
A: This is a priority and I do care
Q: It doesnt seem like it, and that is ok if it's not. If it's not a priority, lets get rid of it and stop talking about it. If it is, get that timeline, make your forecast/timeline and get it moving, **there is nothing else to talk about with respects to this call timeline** (this part was implied not said outright)

The very next week it was complete. If I wasn't able to ask myself the same questions, I wouldn't have been able to ask that person and hold them to a higher standard than i hold myself.

Point being, Vetting members isn't a suggestion, it's a baseline requirement. Don't let it become a time suck or source of significance for you... because neither help you get more work done or be more effective/efficient.
I agree with all this.

I am the type to ask blunt, "offensive" questions because I am an action oriented, logic over feeling personality. I value "did it get done or not?" over everything else.

That being said, I will revise my original proposition:

I am looking for several highly motivated and driven entrepreneurs that want to be in a mastermind group.

The purpose of the mastermind is mainly to get feedback on ideas, and ways to push the needle forward, in each persons respective pursuits.

Requirements:

Must be running business full time

Must be a self starter

Business must be at least 2 years old with at least 1 year of profitability

Can meet in evening times PST (California time) once per week

Excuses and action faking will result in being kicked from the group

I had a mastermind long ago where we outlined what would for sure be accomplished within the next week's time, and if it wasn't, we had to donate $ to a charity that we hated. I will implement something like this in order to force action taking, so if you're not comfortable with that, this mastermind isn't for you.

Please PM me if you think this group is a good fit for you, and if you're willing to COMMIT to several others on a weekly basis.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 22, 2014

--

We're starting a mastermind that's pretty much the exact description that @WestCoast mentioned.

We're in talks with people in very different industries, because most breakthroughs come from outside your industry.

Here for example are some people that are interested in the group (keeping the names and details vague to respect their privacy):
  • We've got people committed to empowering and educating 10 million people that have a specific disease by 2025 since this disease has doubled its rate in the past 5 years.
  • We've got the CEO of a 7-figure eCommerce store that is pushing to 8-figures and has raised over $475K in Kickstarter.
  • A CEO of 4 media-tech companies that scaled to 7-8 figures and is committed to investing $10 million in 100-plus female-founded companies in the next 10 years.
  • The CEO of a product development firm with offices across Austin, Miami, Francisco & Toronto. They were named in the INC 5000 and host an award to support aspiring students that want to push innovation forward.
And a few more...

They are fun, generous and team-playing entrepreneurs. We're also creating a small impact fund to support causes we believe in. They play at a high-level and are committed to impacting the world in a big way. They leave their ego at the door, value long-term relationships and are giving in nature.

I've been in a mastermind that sucked. Everything was timed, no real connection, and most importantly, the people were there more from a "take" rather than "contribution" mentality.

I'm also part of another mastermind that is just amazing. The people are super high-level, everyone is there to support each other, and we ask ourselves the difficult questions. No toleration for bullshit.

The most important aspects are the members, the members and the members.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.