The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Looking for the best sales books

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Lars.F

New Contributor
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Hey there,

what were the best sales books you guys read?

Could you recommend some?

Thanks in advance :)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Also check out Alex Becker on YouTube. His longer webinar videos are really, really awesome and straightforward marketing you can incorporate into your grand scheme.

OP
OP
L

Lars.F

New Contributor
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I will definetly check those things out thanks a lot :)

ScottRams

New Contributor
Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Grant Cardone and Ryan Stewman (hardcorecloser.com) have some great content. I agree, sell or be sold is a must read

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
As you can imagine, there are hundreds of books on sales. It would depend on what would you be more interested in learning to sell.

In any case, I am going to recommend you two books with principles you can use in any field:
- Never Split The Difference
- Pitch Anything

Tommo

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Hey there,

what were the best sales books you guys read?

Could you recommend some?

Thanks in advance :)
Winning through Intimidation renamed To Be or Not to Be Intimidated by Robert J Ringer. More than a sales book. more like life lessons which changed my whole life and attitude in one day. Turned my life around. Only MJ DeMarco has written as realistically imho.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2014
I am currently reading that one (at 50%):
The Introvert's Edge: How the Quiet and Shy Can Outsell Anyone

It is pretty good, especially for people who see the world more as a process than to be a great charmer. It is a process-based approach, so you can always improve it and selling does not depend on your mood.

Anshu

New Contributor
Jan 12, 2018
London
Hi, I am using some better books for sale things because of it gives to help in finding some idea to increase our business and sell the product.
1-Don Quixote
2-The Lord of the rings
Thanks

MHP368

Machine Learning Behavioral Driven Lead Gen
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
You can get a big "best of zig ziglar" audiobook for like 15 bucks , the utilitarian stuff is mixed in so its not framed well (just collections of his speeches)

But I feel like If I had to go back out door to door or cold calling it would definitepy be the kind of thing to keep me motivated (and of course , as I said he does have idea and content that are more brass tacks , not just "rah rah" pump up stuff)

edit : I just checked and "learnoutloud" actually has a pretty signifigant amount of his stuff up for free

Last edited:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I am currently reading that one (at 50%):
The Introvert's Edge: How the Quiet and Shy Can Outsell Anyone

It is pretty good, especially for people who see the world more as a process than to be a great charmer. It is a process-based approach, so you can always improve it and selling does not depend on your mood.

selling is like dating

there are natural seducers who just talk to girls

and artificial seducers with hundreds of systems and strategies

i was friend with a guy who knows nothing about selling. but he can sell anything to anyone

he is a natural. this is amazing.

natural are guys like Tai Lopez.

they play basket ball and sell stuff at the same time on youtube

this is true selling. he is not working hard on tactics or opening line or all these BS

all seems effortless

this is pure selling genius

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id3joCiqpmQ

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
So many out there,

but i'll say spin selling as well..
fanatical prospecting is a big step before even selling as well.. with those two in your arsnel that should be more than enough to start selling.

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Worth mentioning:

There's a massive distinction between understanding sales, and getting good at it.

Books are great, great resources to understand how the sales process works. The psychology of it. How pros do things differently. Technical aspects. Negotiation tactics. Why "this" works better than "that", Etc...

What sales books ARE NOT GOOD AT, is actually making you a good sales person. Only SELLING can do that.

What's that old phrase? You don't learn to swim by reading a book on it? Same thing here.

If you are reading sales books because you "think they are important" or "might help one day" you are almost certainly fooling yourself.

My best recommendation is to get in the shit and start selling. Once you are selling - pick up the top recommended books on the subject and start tweaking your process as you go. One or things at a time. Tops. Even one small tip from any of these books can increase your sales like crazy but it will absolutely take you 25 - 50 - 100 calls or meetings to ingrain even the smallest tip into your process.

I'll tell you - at previous jobs I've tried spending 1-2-3 hours perfecting the "script" (or flow) I would use on my first calls and I can tell you 99% of the time they were useless pieces of paper the second someone said the first "hello".

Wasn't it Mike Tyson who said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"? Same thing.

After 10-20 calls, however, I was able to re-write it entirely in a realistic way. Then I'd read the resources (books, blogs, newsletters) on selling and integrate one small change "here", one minor tweak "there" and conversion rates started improving.

Case in point - changing your voice inflection and intonation is a huge selling tactic but I guarantee you no amount of reading will help you do this. It's one of the most annoying, hardest things to change for something that reads so easily on a page. Oh, don't raise your voice at the end of a sentence? Easy! Call 1: F*ck. Call 10: F*ck, almost. Call 20: Ohh that one sentence was actually pretty awesome. Call 100: I'm getting good at this...

Sales resources are only useful once you are selling. They do very, very little beforehand. It may be fascinating and you may be able to reference them after you start selling, yes, but I implore you not to spend too much time reading if you aren't in a position yet to start selling.

Arun Siva

aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
Case in point - changing your voice inflection and intonation is a huge selling tactic but I guarantee you no amount of reading will help you do this. It's one of the most annoying, hardest things to change for something that reads so easily on a page. Oh, don't raise your voice at the end of a sentence? Easy! Call 1: f*ck. Call 10: f*ck, almost. Call 20: Ohh that one sentence was actually pretty awesome. Call 100: I'm getting good at this...
THIS. Right on bro.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
Hope Is Not a Strategy or Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Scripts (written in pencil or on the computer) are key.

To answer the OP question......
Zig ziglar for general techniques.
Magic of thinking big for mindset.

Test, rewrite, test, rewrite....

sonny_1080

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2019
Worth mentioning:

There's a massive distinction between understanding sales, and getting good at it.

Books are great, great resources to understand how the sales process works. The psychology of it. How pros do things differently. Technical aspects. Negotiation tactics. Why "this" works better than "that", Etc...

What sales books ARE NOT GOOD AT, is actually making you a good sales person. Only SELLING can do that.

What's that old phrase? You don't learn to swim by reading a book on it? Same thing here.

If you are reading sales books because you "think they are important" or "might help one day" you are almost certainly fooling yourself.

My best recommendation is to get in the shit and start selling. Once you are selling - pick up the top recommended books on the subject and start tweaking your process as you go. One or things at a time. Tops. Even one small tip from any of these books can increase your sales like crazy but it will absolutely take you 25 - 50 - 100 calls or meetings to ingrain even the smallest tip into your process.

I'll tell you - at previous jobs I've tried spending 1-2-3 hours perfecting the "script" (or flow) I would use on my first calls and I can tell you 99% of the time they were useless pieces of paper the second someone said the first "hello".

Wasn't it Mike Tyson who said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"? Same thing.

After 10-20 calls, however, I was able to re-write it entirely in a realistic way. Then I'd read the resources (books, blogs, newsletters) on selling and integrate one small change "here", one minor tweak "there" and conversion rates started improving.

Case in point - changing your voice inflection and intonation is a huge selling tactic but I guarantee you no amount of reading will help you do this. It's one of the most annoying, hardest things to change for something that reads so easily on a page. Oh, don't raise your voice at the end of a sentence? Easy! Call 1: F*ck. Call 10: F*ck, almost. Call 20: Ohh that one sentence was actually pretty awesome. Call 100: I'm getting good at this...

Sales resources are only useful once you are selling. They do very, very little beforehand. It may be fascinating and you may be able to reference them after you start selling, yes, but I implore you not to spend too much time reading if you aren't in a position yet to start selling.
Bump

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Everything you write about is so convincing and so adequate to my expectations that I can't...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I would also like to welcome to the traditional incubator @JustinY I am excited for what we...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
April sucked. You were forced into your homes, into different lifestyles. For some, it was an...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock