The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for "process" 1st to find an "event"!

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
*Small wall of text below*

Hey All,

I'm not posting to report a liquidation event or anything large scale like that, but I promise I will when that happens! I'm posting because I'm almost through reading TMF for the 2nd time and I'd highly recommend the same for anyone still not clear on what they'll be doing to achieve their fastlane goals.

Jim Rohn said "don't read 20 books, read the same book 20 times". There is some wisdom there for sure, if the book is jam packed with too many ideas to absorb in one reading. TMF is overflowing with ideas and for me personally, a total paradigm shift.

So, after this time through it, I've noticed something that is a recurring theme in the book and right here on the forum as well. What is it you ask?

Even though many people are hip to the fastlane ideology, I think most (myself included here)are still event oriented and not LOOKING for a process that will increase the percentages of hitting the fastlane. We're sometimes looking for the holy grail.

Example:

I read the book and found the forum, just like most everyone else here - no surprise there. As I read AMA's and stories by some of the heavy hitters on here, I caught myself all of a sudden wanting to be a kindle author, then an internet marketer, then a dropshipper, infoproduct creator, etc...etc... Now, just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with that at all, because I'm being inspired by other people's achievements. That's good. And any one of those businesses can be the ticket if executed well enough.

What I am trying to keep myself aware of is embracing the willingness to go through the developmental period that each of those businesses likely requires. Or, even better - to develop a foundational skillset that compliments all of the above!

In the book, MJ himself describes how he embraced "process" and look what has come out of it. He learned about coding and website development and design, he read several books on how to write a book. He took a job at a limo company because his original plan was to own a limo company. But what happened? Because of the developmental process he went through, he combined all the skills learned and created a limo lead gen web based business instead of owning a limo company, and then a forum, and a book, etc etc. He did those succesfully because he had a foundation of skills to work with and see opportunity!

I see the same type of story with many of the inspiring threads on here. Almost every one I've read. Somewhere in the thread I'm learning that the person really DEVELOPED over time to become fastlane or fastlane-ish material. People talk about 12 hour days 7 days a week working on their task. I've certainly put in those kind of hours with my rental housing business and today I am successful with it, just not on the scale I'd like to be yet.

Just to wrap up: I'm focusing my own time learning and practicing what seems to me to be fundamentals to A fastlane: Web design and development, authoring, e-commerce, internet marketing, and info product creation, to give me the experience and hopefully the wisdom to create actual value through my own competencies - I"m not going to be just slamming out some half-assed business or product because it's the flavor of the week. I'm going to develop the skills first. Actually I know my early attempts will be half-assed on some level but that's just the learning process!

Think of someone that's studied a musical instrument for 10 years as opposed to someone that's been playing for 6 months. There's a world of difference in those 2 musicians even though they both play the same instrument.

Or what about someone that wants to "get in shape" for a vacation 3 months away, as opposed to someone that lifts weights and eats healthy forever? The 2nd person can go on vacation tomorrow and hit the beach looking great because they've embraced the process of being fit. Which one would you bet your money on for long-term fitness?

Remember that in the book MJ shows us that most fastlane events are preceeded by 5 -10 years of hard work, and growth and trial and error. 5 to 10 years! I think we all need to keep that in mind and just get on a path that we can commit to for the next 10 years, instead of thinking what will make the big money in the next 10 months. In my opinion that "path" is the one of becoming masterful on the basics of whatever endeavors you think will fit your goal.

Just some of my thoughts after reading TMF again! Let me know what you think about the idea of looking for "process" 1st before "event", thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
I can totally relate to that Chazmania, I remember reading the book about 4 months ago, but for a while I was still focusing on an "event" that could help me achieve my dream, barely focusing on creating the "process" to the dream sadly..

I know a lot about internet marketing, writing eBooks etc.., but "dabbing" with different fields of business isn't the same as COMMITTING to one and focusing on it to the end.

It's like the old line goes, excellence in life isn't a random event, it's a process... It's a bunch of good habits which create your dream, like you said.

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 20, 2012
Process is often overlooked.
However it is the key to EVERYTHING.
Eventually it is important to use everything you learned into one "concentrated" endeavor.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
I can totally relate to that Chazmania, I remember reading the book about 4 months ago, but for a while I was still focusing on an "event" that could help me achieve my dream, barely focusing on creating the "process" to the dream sadly..

I know a lot about internet marketing, writing eBooks etc.., but "dabbing" with different fields of business isn't the same as COMMITTING to one and focusing on it to the end.

It's like the old line goes, excellence in life isn't a random event, it's a process... It's a bunch of good habits which create your dream, like you said.

Absolutely. Anything in my life that I have had success with, business or otherwise, has definitely had a period of "becoming" before it, and it's usually measured in years. There's no quick fix, and if you do get a free lunch and you're not prepared to recieve it, you'll most likely screw it up somehow. I've also done that!

At least you have a foundational skillset with IM and content creation...you already have a foot in the door! I wish you big success!

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Process is often overlooked.
However it is the key to EVERYTHING.
Eventually it is important to use everything you learned into one "concentrated" endeavor.

That's exactly it right there! Wise words.

Ancient samurai proverb "If you cry in the dojo, you'll laugh on the battlefield" - (or something along those lines!)

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Absolutely. Anything in my life that I have had success with, business or otherwise, has definitely had a period of "becoming" before it, and it's usually measured in years. There's no quick fix, and if you do get a free lunch and you're not prepared to recieve it, you'll most likely screw it up somehow. I've also done that!

At least you have a foundational skillset with IM and content creation...you already have a foot in the door! I wish you big success!
Totally true man, and thanks a lot man wish you the best of success too man:)

D

Deleted20245

This is where Robert Greene's "Mastery" comes in. Get that book. It's awesome.

I also think James Altucher said something along the lines of "250-500 books on a single subject equals one good mentor". Yeah. If you read 500 books about web development, applying bits of what you learn on the way, there's no way you wouldn't be an expert. That's one book per week for 5-10 years, by the way, which corresponds to the timeline of both TMF and Mastery.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
I also think James Altucher said something along the lines of "250-500 books on a single subject equals one good mentor".
Yeah that's a nice little education right there!

This is where Robert Greene's "Mastery" comes in. Get that book. It's awesome.
I definitely will put that one on the list thanks!

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
If you read 500 books about web development, applying bits of what you learn on the way, there's no way you wouldn't be an expert. That's one book per week for 5-10 years, by the way, which corresponds to the timeline of both TMF and Mastery.

I read a book titled "The Talent Code" or something like that about 5 years ago, and the author said that basically if you put someone on any focused task for 10 to 20 years they will be, or have the potential to be "world class" in that endeavor. Musicians, athletes, writers, artists....basically any endeavor that people attribute the word "talent" to is mostly the result of hours and hours and hours and hours of repitition and distinction. Of course some people are no doubt born with more innate ability that lends itself to certain skillsets...

10,000 hours of focused practice is another guideline I've heard. So if there's 365 days per year and you devote 4 hours per day to your desired skill, you would hit 10,000 in just under 7 years (there it is again!), but that assumes you hit it hard and focused every single day of the year without fail for 4 hours.

It's just more evidence pointing to the fact that nothing worthwhile really happens overnight I guess.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.