The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for guidance, I'm 24, have 10K and want to move

Ricky247

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 26, 2011
Hey! I like a lot of your guys on here, am here to learn. And I know there's a lot of smart people on here and there's a saying, "Walk with the wise and you'll become wise." At 24, I've had an interesting life and I'd like to make a post looking to connect with you all and seek advice.

I'm writing you a few days from my birthday - I'll be 25 and I've had time to think about life. A little about me: when I was 15 I was diagnosed with a rare muscle disease - eventually I was bed ridden with no hope to ever stand or walk again. And I was in non-stop pain for two years. Eventually I was diagnosed, received treatment and got better!

No matter what, I never made excuses and I fought. So, at this point in my life I want to grow my finances. Here's a bit about me: I have a high school degree, a history of working in a family business in sales. I'm writing this post because I need guidance in life. I've saved up 10k but don't know what to do with it? If I move to NY - that's a large portion gone - plus, bills and food.

*And what type of work will I do once I get to NY? *
<<<(Really what's on my mind)

All I've ever wanted in life was to be successful. I'm open to all types of ideas,
Obviously, I'm better at somethings than others.

There's a few things I'm certain about. Here's my dream lifestyle: I want to move to NY. I love it and live near by. I also want to spend my winters in California. I want to travel the world. I don't want to work my entire life making someone else rich. So there's areas I'm confident in and areas where I really need guidance.

I'm smart, well-read, realistic and very down to earth and know I have a TON to offer to the world. A mentor would be great, I'd be glad to send you a percentage of my earnings. I'm an awesome person and would be glad to make friends. I just need to be pointed in the right direction with a working plan. Let's talk!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Have you read the book? Spent some times reading the gold threads around here?

I just took a look at your post history and it doesn't seem like you did. I would start there. I would bet that other posters would agree with me.

That being said, NYC is awesome. I live in east village in Manhattan. Wouldn't want to live in any other city in the world.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I'm writing you a few days from my birthday - I'll be 25 and I've had time to think about life. A little about me: when I was 15 I was diagnosed with a rare muscle disease - eventually I was bed ridden with no hope to ever stand or walk again. And I was in non-stop pain for two years. Eventually I was diagnosed, received treatment and got better!

Mad props to you for this.

Without going into details, I can relate. My God can I relate to this.

Have you read @MJ DeMarco 's book? If not, you really need to. It will change your life and make things here easier to understand. I highly recommend not only the print edition of the book, but also the audio version. MJ puts emotional expression and nuance in his reading of the book that really helps in understanding. It listens much like a conversation. Good stuff.

Make sure you read the "common forum questions" section, and the Gold threads. Massive value in the gold section.

Welcome to the forum.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Welcome to the forum and kudos for having an attitude of control, regardless of your health issues.

Like the other members are recommending, read The Millionaire Fastlane , it'll help clarify what you need to do and what decisions you need to start making hear on out if you want to achieve your goal

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You've been here for 5 years, what have you been doing?

Hey! I like a lot of your guys on here, am here to learn. And I know there's a lot of smart people on here and there's a saying, "Walk with the wise and you'll become wise." At 24, I've had an interesting life and I'd like to make a post looking to connect with you all and seek advice.

No matter what, I never made excuses and I fought. So, at this point in my life I want to grow my finances. Here's a bit about me: I have a high school degree, a history of working in a family business in sales. I'm writing this post because I need guidance in life. I've saved up 10k but don't know what to do with it? If I move to NY - that's a large portion gone - plus, bills and food.

All I've ever wanted in life was to be successful. I'm open to all types of ideas,

There's a few things I'm certain about. Here's my dream lifestyle: I want to move to NY. I love it and live near by. I also want to spend my winters in California. I want to travel the world. I don't want to work my entire life making someone else rich. So there's areas I'm confident in and areas where I really need guidance.

I'm smart, well-read, realistic and very down to earth and know I have a TON to offer to the world. A mentor would be great, I'd be glad to send you a percentage of my earnings. I'm an awesome person and would be glad to make friends. I just need to be pointed in the right direction with a working plan. Let's talk!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
First - if you're 24 and have managed to put away 10k, congrats. Not many people 10 yrs older than you have the discipline to do that.

Make sure you read the "common forum questions" section, and the Gold threads. Massive value in the gold section.

This. If, after that, you still wanna give your money to strangers on the internet, then I will gladly take your 10k, hire some models, rent an airplane and some camera equipment, and film videos offering the GMan success system that I will then put all over social media. :D

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I've saved up 10k but don't know what to do with it? If I move to NY - that's a large portion gone - plus, bills and food.

NY is a highly restrictive environment in terms of cost. Move to NYC, and your cost of living is going to go through the stratosphere. Whereas you might have $0.80 of every dollar you earn to use at your discretion if you live in Georgia or Wyoming, in NYC it's going to be like $0.10/dollar. With a HS degree and no plan, you are literally going to be at subsistence level.

Sometimes a change of environment gives people the motivation they need to succeed, but if you're not already on your way, I wouldn't bet on it in NY. You're going to end up paying $1,600/mo to live in one tiny room of some crazy Russian lady's basement, without internet or windows.

Utopia

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2016
Traveling

Travel the world and find co-working spaces that have entrepreneurs doing business. It costs significantly less than living in the United States. And you are stupid if you move to New York. You can learn business from nomads.

Currently I am in Bali, Indonesia. I pay $230 for rent a month and I am surrounded by mentors.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 28, 2016
Connecticut
Hi Ricky247. Thank you for sharing your story. You seem fearless which is so important! I wonder if you have ever thought about helping people that may be struggling with a chronic disease, like chronic pain or the degenerative muscle disease you were disgnosed with, to over come Their disease using some of the techniques you used? I have so many ideas for you! Also, my advice before you pick up and move anywhere would be to make a plan. Think about goals and think about a vision for yourself in 5 years, 10 years.
[REMOVED BY MOD]

Sincerely,

Caitlin

Last edited by a moderator:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
NY is not a very pro-business state. Beyond that it is expensive for a budding entrepreneur.

I wouldn't choose NY. In fact I don't know if I could live there.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
There's a few things I'm certain about. Here's my dream lifestyle: I want to move to NY. I love it and live near by. I also want to spend my winters in California. I want to travel the world. I don't want to work my entire life making someone else rich.

These things you mention are all counter-intuitive with each other. Any one thing you choose from that list will require sacrifice in other areas.

Your problem is you don't know your criteria: you don't know what you want bad enough to make the right choices.

List those 4 things in order of what's MOST important to LEAST important to YOU, and the steps you need to take will appear. Once you are 100% clear and honest with yourself, it's that simple.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

Hey, nice post. Here are some of my thoughts:

Do not move to NYC. I live in NYC right now- it's very expensive.

• Transportation
  • Rent
  • Food
  • Clothing
  • Family
  • Relationships
  • Bills (phone, electric, etc)
Like Mj says in his book, you pretty much don't wanna get stuck in bondage to a job if that makes sense, especially if you move here to the city.

You have $10,000. Save it for startups or whatever fast lane business you decide to pursue.

Personally I would read Mj's book, read the gold threads here, and learn business material from udemy and iTunes U (if you have it)

Some threads that are interesting/fastlane include Fox's web design thread, the carpet cleaning thread, ecommerce, software etc.

Ecommerce is probably a good start because the startup cost is fairly low in my opinion and the reward is high, if executed brilliantly, imo.

Ultimately, try to solve a problem. Then, work on finding an answer to that problem.

For example, there are many people who are unable to do things like shopping and cleaning. Maybe open up a service of handyman/task runners to help these people. I'm just brainstorming and sharing ideas although this does seem kinda slow lane.

Also, in my opinion, focus right now on learning/educating and learning business aspects versus visualizing winters in California. I'm not saying don't dream but instead focus on working hard first towards a fast lane road map and thereafter, the trips etc can happen/manifest. I'm not judging or assuming just a thought of mine.

One more thing, read the Real estate threads here too and publishing books threads. Pretty much soak in a lot of nuggets here and then ask yourself where you feel best to provide solutions or make value. Then take action and begin. Of course these are just my opinions but welcome to the forum! You're in the right place. :)

Last edited:
A

Anon1351z

Echoing what everyone else is saying, don't move to NYC right now. I want to end up there as well, but to live the type of lifestyle that I want in NYC, I'll have to be a multi-millionaire. I imagine you want something similar, so I'd suggest making that a longer-term goal.

There are probably some much more "entrepreneur-friendly" cities even in the US that would suit your needs in the interim. I've heard good things about Austin, San Diego, St. Louis, and Tampa, to name a few.

I just need to be pointed in the right direction with a working plan. Let's talk!

If I were in your situation, I would take a serious look at @Fox 's thread about web design - it's super easy to get started earning cash, especially if you have a sales background. It just takes a little persistence to learn to code... but based on your background, I wouldn't bet against you on that.

I'm not exaggerating at all when I say December is my first month doing it (learned to code part-time for Oct + Nov), I've made 7 cold calls, am currently building 2 sites for a total of $4K and have two more proposed sites at $6K and $3K respectively that may or may not come through in January. Either way, I know I'll be able to sell more websites than I could ever code. So I would look at getting into that to fund your lifestyle.

Once you have cash coming in to pay the bills and put a couple pesos in the bank, I would use that 10K+ and start an Amazon private label. I know this is the most hyped up business model that everyone has been doing, but there's a reason for it. If you have a good product and brand, you can turn it into a cash machine pretty quickly, especially if you don't have to pull anything from it. (Full disclosure: I launched my first product in December and had lower results than expected, but I am still ultra confident it'll be a success.)

Once you get these two businesses rolling and successful, you can start thinking about your pièce de résistance and you'll be in a good position to start building whatever it is.

I'm certainly in no position to mentor anyone (except for my course- only $10K a month with limited space!!!) but inbox me if you have any questions about the above.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
If I were in your situation, I would take a serious look at @Fox 's thread about web design - it's super easy to get started earning cash, especially if you have a sales background. It just takes a little persistence to learn to code... but based on your background, I wouldn't bet against you on that.

I'm not exaggerating at all when I say December is my first month doing it (learned to code part-time for Oct + Nov), I've made 7 cold calls, am currently building 2 sites for a total of $4K and have two more proposed sites at $6K and $3K respectively that may or may not come through in January. Either way, I know I'll be able to sell more websites than I could ever code. So I would look at getting into that to fund your lifestyle.

I don't like to hype my own stuff but I am seeing results like this a lot. Congratulations on taking huge action and getting solid results right out the gate.

To OP: I don't know if it would be your thing but web design is a great way to start making some fast (not necessarily easy though) cash. I have a few dozen people on my FB group, both students and non, who are seeing figures like this within 1-2 months. Again I don't want to promote my own stuff, thats not why I post here, but check out the thread - lots of good free advice.

The cool thing about web design is it requires very little money upfront, can be learned fairly fast and is quite easy to get started. You also learn a lot about the inside dealings of businesses from dealing with actual business owners all the time. I have learned a lot about business just through the people I have worked for and the projects I have been involved in.

Ricky247

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 26, 2011
Hey everyone, thanks so much for all your responses. I'm still reading all of them so feel free to share your ideas. I have a lot to answer and I can definitely go into more detail which should help. And the answers you all are saying is already giving me tons of perspective.
I will respond to everyone tomorrow!

Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
DO NOT move to NY unless you are sure the numbers work out in your favor. It could be disheartening real quick... Spend some time on the forum and research different avenues of creating residual monthly income and then go from there. Always ask questions if you dont know anything (someone will help).

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Follow the money.

You need to network and get hustling. The fantasy of "the big city" only really works for models or trust fund babies. Yes, you can do it but you'll not save anything and you'll certainly not be in a position to start a business.

My recommendation is to get networking. Get to know local businesses and see what they're struggling with. They never tell you what's wrong, you have to subtly guess and then provide a solution (this is the fun part). From this, you'll be able to use the $10k to create a service / product that could work (budget so you don't use the whole 10k at once -- test things out with max budgets of $500 a pop). If you plan properly (max $500), you'll eventually find something that sticks, which will allow your $10k to become $25k. This would be the point when you're able to jump to a better location like NYC.

At present, you're going to fall into the same old trap as everyone else, a mindless drone working to pay bills.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.