The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking everywhere else, while your next move is sitting right in front of you?

smooch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 4, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Hello,

Who am I? I'm a Digital designer based in Sydney Australia. Have worked for many a tier one client in full time jobs and am currently still in a full time job though taking some time to understand exactly what my next step should be this time as I've always been trying to start something on the side.

I read TMF a few years back and have been reading through it on and off since then. I've started a few business ventures and ideas, but most have failed. The first, I tried developing a web platform that would connect tradesmen to consumers. The second, designing a platform to sell stone slabs to consumers however never followed through.

All the while I have been working full time and contracting to businesses for design work.

I've realized I have a few weaknesses that I need to fix up for me to grow into the person that needs to exist.

A: I have shiny object syndrome - I love great ideas, I get excited, motivated and put a lot of work into them. However, it only lasts sometime before...
B: My fear of 'not knowing enough' and 'breaking my comfort zone' and other symptoms of this consumer orientated world, and...
C: I have a problem with the action faking thing. It's crazy because you don't even know you're doing it. You're producing maybe.. a logo.. or a website.. whatever.. but it's not for someone else.. it's not producing value for the marketplace, no, just you.. but then this ties so neatly into shiny object syndrome and that can be a really bad revolving habit.
D: I focus on the quality of the product instead of getting in front of people, getting out there and getting known, setting appointments, networking, following up.

I've made it my personal goal to combat all of these this year. Words are nice. But I have been accepting these issues, and taking action to change these around. Signing up here on TMF forum is one of them.

So... (breathes deeply) right now, I'm considering my next business. I've been reflecting on this for some time. And, the option of opening a design agency has come to mind but whether that's the right option, i am not certain yet. I read the article the other night, about unsexy businesses and the thought of doing marketing and design for these businesses, to help them would be interesting. Since "who would want to do marketing and design for those unsexy businesses anyway right?..." Wouldn't that be actually a great differentiator? And also a need for them at least? And unsaturated? Low competition? Naturally, the objective would also be to build a firm, and bring in a manager so that I'd (personally) not be trading time for money in the end as the business system and process would be set, as a poster explained they had organized for themselves, in the "Unsexy business concepts" thread.
I don't really care about 'working for impressive brands' or whatever... i've been there as you'll read in a sec. I do care about not having to live paycheck to paycheck, actually being able to do what i want, when i want and live life on my own terms. It's like a dream that has constantly felt like it's out of my reach for years.

To add to this, regarding design, I'm already past the "shiny object" syndrome with 8-9 years of consistency. All in the digital space.

As I mentioned my experience is with bigger clients, Apple, Jetstar, AIG, Accenture, Hewlett Packard etc. Also mostly B2BIT businesses. I do have currently one client Zip Pay (similar to afterpay) that keeps inviting me back to contract for them after-hours because the enjoy my quality of work (their words not mine). So I am thinking perhaps they can be my first official client. I also have contacts in B2BIT space I used to work with (before they went and worked for IT companies) and can reach out to for account work to start with as well.

Most of my friends and family are deeply cemented in the standard sleeper consumer mindset so i don't have anyone to bounce things off, or discuss with, or validate or to check progress. I would be grateful if those of you here could be that person.

If you've read this far... thank you, I already appreciate the time you've put in just for that. Sorry for the long post.

What am i here for? Help. Direction. From those of you who have done it. I'm already grateful that I can even post my position in life here among you all.

Warm regards,
Blake

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...