• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

O/T: Health Longevity Resources & Websites

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Lex DeVille, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,727
    Two years ago I posted a lie in the biggest lie I ever believed most of my life thread.

My lie was: That death is certain.

Since then several members have messaged me for more information, and I've posted a few times about the possibilities the future holds and a little bit about current research. Now I think it's time for a thread that brings this to the forefront of some of the brightest minds of this generation and the next.

Most of you - in fact most of the world - has no idea where the human race stands in terms of defeating aging, debilitating diseases, and eventually death. So the purpose of this thread is to enlighten and inform about the Fastlane Scientists & Inventors who work from the shadows to solve a problem most people deny exists.

This thread isn't for personal beliefs. It isn't for politics. The only purpose is to share resources and websites relating to breakthrough longevity research & technology, and to bring you up to speed on what's been going on.

Let's start big...

Meet Dr. Bill Andrews - A Fastlane Research Scientist who has proven reverse aging, has successfully reversed age in mice, and as of August this year, says his company believes they'll completely stop/reverse aging in humans in one year (by 2016). Plus he found a Fastlane way to raise millions per month for research after his investors went broke...

People Unlimited Inc.

Meet Dr. Aubrey de Grey - A Fastlane Research Scientists who built a non-profit company called SENS Foundation that's raised hundreds of millions toward reverse aging research. Dr. de Grey has dedicated his life to solving the world's greatest problem. He's spoken numerous times for TED Talks and is one of the most interesting characters in longevity studies. Here's a video interview with Joe Rogan from earlier this year.

SENS Research Foundation

Meet Dr. Ray Kurzweil - A Fastlane Inventor and Director of Engineering at Google. Dr. Kurzweil invented numerous pieces of life-altering technology, and now he & Google are focused on achieving a concept called The Singularity. Dr. Kurzweil explains that technology is advancing faster and faster and leading to a state of exponential growth. At some point (currently predicted as 2045) artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence, and man will merge with machine to transcend our current state of being. He discusses all of these concepts in two movies, both of which can be seen on Netflix.

Kurzweil AI

Meet Bill Faloon & Martine Rothblatt - Bill Faloon is the Founder of Life Extension Pharmaceuticals and a Leader in the cryonic preservation & life extension movement. Martine Rothblatt invented Serious XM Satellite Radio in addition to other breakthroughs in medical research. This interview introduces both personalities in addition to the Church of Perpetual Life - the first church openly dedicated to life-extension - and also discusses current events in terms of challenges faced by those interested in living longer.

Church of Perpetual Life

Meet Dr. Max More - President & CEO of Alcor Life Extension Foundation. Alcor is one of 3 Cryopreservation companies in the United States. Cryonics and cryopreservation is a last-resort method of preserving the physical body and brain in the hopes that medical science will one day return them to their former state since we really don't know when a person is truly dead beyond the point of revival. As of now patients have been revived after more than an hour after declared death, and prior to CPR it was believed than anyone who stopped breathing was dead.

Most people believe cryonics is expensive. It's not. I know because I'm signed up and it costs around $34 a month for my insurance policy. Please note that I'm not promoting Alcor or affiliated with them in any way, and my cryonics membership is through one of the other companies.

Alcor Life Extension Foundation

That's enough for today, and a pretty good start. Again, I'm not affiliated with any of these companies nor am I paid for posting this. I just think it's important for young minds with potential to be aware of what's going on in the world that isn't being discussed.

One thing you might notice is that all of the people in the videos above own Fastlane businesses. All of them built companies focused on solving problems, and all focused those efforts on building a better future.

Maybe you care. Maybe you don't. Either way it's new & different, so indulge, enjoy, and feel free to imagine what the future holds. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
  2. LifeTransformer

LifeTransformer Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $820
    Very interesting topic.

I remember watching something about this subject a couple years ago, I forget the name of the documentary though, but it was mainly focused on this Doctor (again can't remember his name) and he was talking about the singularity etc too.

Anyone know the documentary I'm talking about? Would like to watch it again.

Arun Siva and OVOvince like this.
  3. biggeemac

biggeemac Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,793
    I certainly hope that our conscientiousness can someday be "dumped" into some cloud infrastructure that we can exist in......sort of like the matrix. Hopefully, we do a little better with the planning and happiness than they did in the matrix. Something that we can live out our wildest fantasies for all eternity, without encroaching, of course, on our fellow virtual mans virtual space.

4. Luffy

Luffy Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,389
    What would longevity mean for the problem of overpopulation? I'm not sure it'd be so public if we were ever successful in this area.

5. theag

theag Most Aggressive Guy on the Internet on the Planet Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $50,483
  6. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,727
    Ray Kurzweil has 2 movies that cover the Singularity in great detail.

The Singularity is Near

Trancendent Man

LifeTransformer likes this.
  7. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,727
    Check out any of Dr. de Grey's videos for in depth answers to this question.

8. LifeTransformer

Rep Bank:
    $820
    theag likes this.
  9. LifeTransformer

Rep Bank:
    $820
  10. Luffy

Luffy Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,389
    Sucks that there is only $5 million going towards funding something that could change the world and our futures so drastically. Same goes for ocean exploration and the like, humanity sure have their priorities in order.

11. LynnD5000

LynnD5000 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $201
    They say Adam lived about 900 years - I wonder what his secret was.....
    L

12. obrian

obrian Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,665
    this is a very interesting topic imagine 50 years from now with all these new technologies and stuff, the possibilities are gonna be endless. i even read this article the other day when these scientist was working on teleportation and they can already transfer some very microscopic tiny particles from part a to point b which is a huge step. they said that in the world of teleportation time doesn't exist and i am like what!!!!!! how is that even possible, but at the end of the day some weird experiments are being taken place each day by these innovative scientists around the world and in my opinion those guys are the heroes, the ones that can make the impossible seem possible, as they usually say these days the sky is not the limit anymore because man have already went to the moon.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  13. Mineralogic

Mineralogic Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $1,032

Faloon is doing great work spreading nutrition knowledge for years

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
    Lex DeVille likes this.
  14. Bouncing Soul

Bouncing Soul Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,622
    Just one problem with Kurzweil's theory; Moore's Law is either done for microprocessors now, or will be soon. Gordon Moore himself has said this. There's no reviving it at the silicon transistor core level. It requires major breakthroughs in technology, and even the breakthrough stuff we know about in universities doesn't seem particularly promising.

http://singularityhub.com/2015/04/20/looking-ahead-as-moores-law-turns-50-whats-next-for-computing/

I don't think this means the idea of recording stimuli inputs/responses is DOA, but it's not likely to come in the way people who build theories based on extrapolating Moore's law for another several decades predict.

Peter Thiel is another to watch in the longetivity space.

15. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,727
    Transhumanism on BBC News
    A short documentary covering recent updates in transhumanism.

Small Mammal Brain Preservation Contest Won
    http://www.brainpreservation.org/small-mammal-announcement/

This article shows an important step in the progress of long-term cryopreservation technologies.
    The prize was $100,000 and was very close between 2 companies.
    The next contest attempts long-term preservation of large mammallian brains.
    This is an incredible breakthrough since...humans are large mammals.

Startup to Bring the Dead Back to Life in 30 Years

Seems I'm not the only one who sees opportunity here.

I've had an eye on this company since they first launched.

Glad to see they're still around and growing fast.

http://humaitech.com/

16. OVOvince

OVOvince Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $117
    Lol op here I am reading the forum just a little bit before falling asleep and I come across this.

5 minutes later my brain is thinking about how earth will be overpopulated if everyone lives forever and we will have to use Elon Musks' space x to colonize Mars or create some sort of artificial habitat in space or something hahaha

17. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,727
    Same objection most people have the first time they come across the concept.

Thing is the earth is already overpopulated. Yet we live here and don't seem to mind.

People aren't stupid. We come up with new ways to make it work.

We will colonize Mars. It's not that far away. The news regularly mentions the upcoming mission.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-journey-to-mars/

This video shows how we can potentially reach Mars in 3 days.

Here's a 52 page white paper to go with it entitled "A Roadmap To Interstellar Flight."

http://www.deepspace.ucsb.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/A-Roadmap-to-Interstellar-Flight-15-h.pdf

There's really no reason for humans to stay on Earth long-term.

We've discovered plenty of places that may be habitable. Some not that far away.

18. OVOvince

Rep Bank:
    $117
    I knew it can be done but wow I didn't know about how quick

Cool

Lex DeVille likes this.
  19. 7.62x51

7.62x51 Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,647
    I think that minduploading is a flawed concept. A digital copy of yourself is just that, a copy, it's not the original.

In order to reach true immortality, we need to be able to preserve the human brain.

It was thought that every 7-10 years all the cells in your body are replaced but new research has shown that neurons in your cerebral cortex are never replaced.
    [​IMG]

In order to preserve or maintain a complex system, one needs to understand how the components interact with each other.

Before we solve aging, we'll need to solve intelligence.

Personally believe that this generation or the next will solve intelligence and then the generation that follows will use the advanced AI + full understanding of the brain to reach real immortality.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    OVOvince and Lex DeVille like this.
  20. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,727
    I agree that more learning is needed in order for us to advance to any stage of uploading.
    We don't need to fully understand every aspect of intelligence to accomplish this though.
    AI will pick up where humans leave off long before we fully understand ourselves completely.

Regarding solving aging, the gene responsible for aging has already been identified.
    Aging has been fully reversed in rats by Bill Andrews and his team, as indicated in the very first video above.

Regarding the issue of a digital copy not being you, how do you define you?

If you define "you" as something you can never know or experience (the experiencer / observer) then the copy is no more "you" than you are "you" right now. That means it is also no less "you" than you are "you" right now.

If you define "you" as your body + your memories + your experiences, knowledge etc, then there is no difference if the only thing that changes is your physical body.

Same memories + Same experiences + Same everything except physical body = "You" by this definition and you wouldn't know any different beyond perhaps noticing your body is different.

This is moving heavily into philosophical territory, and the purpose of this thread is only to provide resources regarding life extension and longevity, and not to discuss immortality, so I won't go any deeper into this for now.

Regardless of our beliefs about what is possible right now, we can't predict the future.
    So the best we can do is remain optimistic, much like we do in our business pursuits.

We use what is useful.
    Pessimism is rarely useful.

OVOvince likes this.
  21. Delmania

Delmania Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,341
    This in so many ways. People seem to think our consciousness is like an operating system (Windows, Linux, OSX, etc), that it's just a piece of software running on hardware. In theory, we can take that software and place it in a virtual environment and it will work the same. The reality is our consciousness is more like firmware, it's directly tied into our bodies, and even more, physical changes within our body impact how our consciousness work. I'm thinking of phantom limbs. Instances where the software in the brain has modified itself in response to the loss of limb and literally changed the hardware.

I am extremely skeptical of the notion of true, or advanced, AI. A big element of intelligence is the ability to step outside of a system and reason about it. Humans possess the ability to look at themselves objectively since we are conscious of our conscious (and no one knows why). Computer are machines, they will only do EXACTLY what you tell them to do. Watson and AlphaGO took advantage of the facts that the systems they were in had well defined rules and they could quickly compute all permutations and choose the one that had the highest statistical success. I don't want to take away from the achievements, just point out we are very very far away from Skynet.

22. Delmania

Delmania Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,341
    Perspective and experience. You upload your conscious and then go on with your life. Is your awareness now in both your body AND the computer? When your body dies, does your perspective change back to the computer? Do you watch yourself die without interruption to your consciousness?

Lex DeVille likes this.
  23. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,727
    When the conscious (mind) is uploaded a body is no longer required, though most experts suspect the body will merge with machine. It is certainly complex to consider; however, this is a stage of evolution.

It's not hard to imagine our conscious could be in more than one place at once assuming uploading is what occurs.

I can't say what would happen when the body dies, assuming the body dies at all, without getting a bit too philosophical and potentially tip toeing into religious beliefs.

OVOvince likes this.
  24. Delmania

Rep Bank:
    $4,341
    Yes, we're getting away from longevity and into the "brain in a vat" and "the universe is a simulation" theories. Fascinating stuff, but definitely subjective and rabbit holes.

Lex DeVille likes this.
  25. OVOvince

Rep Bank:
    $117
    This is all some mind blasting stuff

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.