The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Long time fan, first time caller"

DeterminedJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jun 15, 2017
Burlington, VT
Wow, so I read TMF over a year ago. Thought it was an awesome book. Then proceeded to not really do anything with the info (agh)... Not surprisingly, I've been feeling a lot of discontent this past year, so when I got MJ's email about his new book, I was pretty psyched to see the topic. Not only did Unscripted really resonate with me, but it also served as a timely kick in the butt to finally take some action already!

Here's my backstory:
I currently work in one of the most Scripted offices you could find. My husband does too, though his company tries to pretend they're more like a fun uncle than a Sidewalk greeter. We have two toddlers and are living in an urban area... which is fine if you like urban areas, but we're pretty much the exact opposite. 5 years ago we made plans to take some time off and travel, then use that as a jumping off point to move someplace more nature-rific and pursue some less scripted jobs. But a few weeks before the end of our travels, the small software company he was still working for got acquired by a big granddaddy company, and we found ourselves right back in the city in order to take this 'opportunity.' In hindsight, it's been much less of an opp and much more of a roadblock, but live & learn, right?

Certainly my kids are a big part of my motivation to change my lifestyle. But an equally important part is me (and my husband) missing trees and nature. I legitimately get p*ssed off that I've handed over so much of my life's freedom and control to a big institution. Someone who doesn't even know me gets to tell me if I can (or rather CAN'T) go for a bike ride or morning kayak on a beautiful summer day. Cutting the Scripted umbilical cord is a priority as is moving to an area that better aligns with our personal values. Before just picking up and moving, though, we're keen to build a bit more of a financial buffer.

My immediate, shorter term To Do is reworking my mindset around money. I've definitely had a love/hate relationship with it in the past, attributing many of society's problems to money + greed. The funny part is I've been working in fundraising... yup, that's right. I get paid to help people with money find the right product/service that adds value they're interested in & exchange that product/service/value for the person's money. Sometimes the most obvious things in life are both the hardest and easiest to see. Once I realized this, a lightbulb clicked and I felt like, "of course I could do that with a product/service I've personally created! It's just exchanging value for value-vouchers! It's a win-win!" So yeah, I've come a long way, but still have a bit more mindset work to do.

I'm also a recovering procrastinator. An idea has started to worm its way into my brain lately, and I can't tell if it's a procrastination lapse. It's to take 6-8 months to get a remote-based freelance gig off the ground, all in the name of cutting out my commute time each day (probably a total of 1.5-2 hrs/day) in order to gain more time and flexibility to then start working on a Fastlane pursuit. Forum peeps- give me a reality check here, please! Does that just sound like fear-brain procrastination to you?

Sorry to write a novel of info. I'm really pumped to be here & to have a like-minded community to connect with!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
get some sales under your belt, save some money with your s/o and cut the cord of a job or at least reduce your hours and focus on YOUR business/idea.

nike, just do it

welcome

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the intro!

I can't tell if it's a procrastination lapse. It's to take 6-8 months to get a remote-based freelance gig off the ground

Yea, seems way, way too long. Have you checked out @SinisterLex freelancing threads?

DeterminedJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jun 15, 2017
Burlington, VT
After re-reading my intro thread, I kind of vomited in my mouth... what a load of "hey guys, I have some questions for you, please give me some insights!" Sorry about that... This forum is really kick @ss with tons of insight and folks looking to help each other out. THAT is much more my style, and I'd genuinely like to offer value to the group.

Although I'm like an infant in my entrepreneurial journey, I can offer help with the following tools:
  • Excel and Smart Sheets - especially around VBA coding/macros, advanced functions, creating templates, etc
  • MS Access and other relational databases - essentially data management
  • Reporting tools such as Crystal Reports, SQL
  • Automation tools such as Zapier
If there's information/data you find yourself looking through each month, continually re-building and re-formatting it - there's likely a way to automate a big chunk of the process. Feel free to drop me a note for any advice or insights. I genuinely love this stuff (it's like logic puzzles) and it really truly makes your workflow more efficient.

My background includes 10 years in small non-profit fundraising shops. People seemed to like using the phrase "resource constrained" to describe the places I worked... which really just means we were short-staffed and had minimal budget to toss at problems. Learning how to automate processes became a necessity in order to free up more of my time to focus on the actual 'raising funds' portion - such as grant writing, making asks, etc.

I'm happy to answer any non-profit or fundraising questions that might come up as well, though I'm guessing the process automation piece is much more applicable to entrepreneurial endeavors.

And thank you to everyone who has freely written about your knowledge, successes, and failures for the forum to learn from.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
After re-reading my intro thread, I kind of vomited in my mouth... what a load of "hey guys, I have some questions for you, please give me some insights!" Sorry about that... This forum is really kick @ss with tons of insight and folks looking to help each other out. THAT is much more my style, and I'd genuinely like to offer value to the group.

Although I'm like an infant in my entrepreneurial journey, I can offer help with the following tools:
  • Excel and Smart Sheets - especially around VBA coding/macros, advanced functions, creating templates, etc
  • MS Access and other relational databases - essentially data management
  • Reporting tools such as Crystal Reports, SQL
  • Automation tools such as Zapier
If there's information/data you find yourself looking through each month, continually re-building and re-formatting it - there's likely a way to automate a big chunk of the process. Feel free to drop me a note for any advice or insights. I genuinely love this stuff (it's like logic puzzles) and it really truly makes your workflow more efficient.

My background includes 10 years in small non-profit fundraising shops. People seemed to like using the phrase "resource constrained" to describe the places I worked... which really just means we were short-staffed and had minimal budget to toss at problems. Learning how to automate processes became a necessity in order to free up more of my time to focus on the actual 'raising funds' portion - such as grant writing, making asks, etc.

I'm happy to answer any non-profit or fundraising questions that might come up as well, though I'm guessing the process automation piece is much more applicable to entrepreneurial endeavors.

And thank you to everyone who has freely written about your knowledge, successes, and failures for the forum to learn from.
Lol. Don't be so hard on yourself. Consider it as making progress instead (I know you do anyway).

Nice skillset btw. I do a lot of Excel but drew the line at VBA which seems ridiculously verbose. Gosh, I've probably forgotten my SQL. Zapier would be cool to play with.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Oh hey @DeterminedJ welcome to the forum.

No need to apologise for your story, lol, we all go through this phase, it's pretty cool that you came along. Needless to say, you're barely here and you're already offering excellent value :) . Well, you are in the right space and it's pretty cool the feedback we share amongst each other, so, welcome aboard again and kudos on your venture.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...