The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Long-term Effect of DBAs and Subsidiaries on BRAND

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Hi Everyone,

I started a corporation about a year ago and after doing tons of research, I finally found a niche to pursue.

However, that niche has a different name than the corporation.

I have read plenty about filing for a DBA name and trademark, but are there any cons to going this route?

Should I file for a subsidiary or should I dissolve the previous corporation and start a new one with the name of my business and brand?

I am concerned about potential name copy-cats...luckily I have secured the domain and social media user names. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
MG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I am leaning towards keeping the company structure as is...and filing for a subsidiary under the current S-CORP if the new venture is a success....

Any thoughts though, especially for people that have run into the same issue?

Thanks,
MG

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I was looking into DBAs for a different reason today. Not sure about NY, but in PA, filing a DBA does not guarantee you exclusive use of the name - other people can actually use the same name (which seems ridiculous). I would go ahead and file for the name to cover your bases.
Whether you dissolve and file a new one, or file a subsidiary, depends on other tax and legal matters that would need to be analyzed.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I spoke to my mentors and the suggested that filing for the DBA until I make enough cash-flow to justify forming a completely new LLC or CORP makes the most sense.

Would highly value input from anyone with more experience

MG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I spoke to my mentors and the suggested that filing for the DBA until I make enough cash-flow to justify forming a completely new LLC or CORP makes the most sense.

Would highly value input from anyone with more experience

MG
In my state, the filing cost for creating a DBA and creating an entity are comparable. Your added costs would come on the compliance side (tax returns, mostly, and if it makes things more difficult for your accountant/bookkeeper). I don't know if any marketing/operations materials would be different?

I often forget that since I do my own accounting and taxes, that these things can add significant costs to others' businesses.
I'm interested to hear input from others on the actual operations side.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Oh, and to make it more "sticky" and add more national protection on the cheap, they recommended Trademarking the name

Source: people with $20M exits. Glad they are nice people

MG

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.