The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Living Life -- Fitness

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I used to be into physical activity all the time when younger.

I am sure many can relate to this feeling. Played soccer, rode a bike, was all over the place...

I injured both knees playing soccer. Surgeries and therapy to recover, but never dedicated the time and effort to get back to it.

Then 'life' settled in and now I was very passive, feeling tired all the time, and hating it.

Time to live life again. It is time to feel healthy/fit again.

I've started following the Insanity program.

Insanity program (used): $80
DVD player: $0 --already had it
1 hour of my day for exercising: $$$$

Living life feeling fit.... Priceless.

What do you guys do to work on your fitness?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I go to the gym every day except Saturday and workout for about 2 hours. One day I do Arms and Back, the next I do Core and Legs. Everyday I run, and everyday I do abs. This has been going on for about 2 months and I feel amazing. I have always been "In Shape" but now I am finally building lots of muscle! Just make sure you stick with your plan...the first 1-2 weeks will be brutal but after that it becomes routine

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
the first 1-2 weeks will be brutal but after that it becomes routine
You are probably right... the first time I attempted it I couldn't complete the second week. Just too tough for me.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
You need something or someone to motivate you. For me I go with a group of friends and we go to our schools gym at the same time...we normally play music really loud and get into the workout. We help each other out, if someone needs a spotter we spot them, etc. I do close to the same workout as my friend so we motivate each other if we are getting tired. Then after we all go to dinner together and drink our protein. It's a routine, and near the end of our 2 hour session we start to goof off and see who can do the most pullups or max out on the bench, it's a good time.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Your motivation could also be wanting to have a 6 pack before the summer, or being able to bench X amount or being able to do 20 pull ups. My goals were: 6 pack, 20 pull ups in one set, and being able to run 3 miles without running out of breath. I am very close to having a 6 pack, I can now do 10 pull-ups in one set (Could only do 2 in the beginning) and I can run 2 miles without running out of breath. Having something to look forward to helps a TON!

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
About 18 months ago I dedicated myself to getting bigger and hit the gym everyday. I went from skin and bones to the 3-4th strongest guy in my grade. Now, after 18 months, going to the gym everyday is starting to get boring and I need a bigger challenge. I think pretty soon I am going to formulate a SEAL training program and train to that, it will include a lot more cardio than I am doing and it should be brutal. I have noticed that when I stop seeing consistent improvement, motivation gets tough; I have also noticed that when life's stresses are bearing down, going to the gym can be the greatest escape from reality.

:cheers:

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I have also noticed that when life's stresses are bearing down, going to the gym can be the greatest escape from reality.

This ^

It is the best way to get your mind of something, school, work, family, women, anything it works like a charm. Sometimes if I am even feeling a little under the weather going to the gym and sweating it out can make me feel better!

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Same thing happened to me. It got real boring, especially after finishing college hockey and having nothing to work for.

So I changed my workout. Check out this guy - His name is Dorian Yates. I follow most of his advice, with my own twists. It makes the gym fun again because now I have something to work towards every-time I step back in. And I get my workouts done in 25-45 minutes.

Link:

Bodybuilding.com - Dorian Yates' Blood & Guts 6 Week Trainer

About 18 months ago I dedicated myself to getting bigger and hit the gym everyday. I went from skin and bones to the 3-4th strongest guy in my grade. Now, after 18 months, going to the gym everyday is starting to get boring and I need a bigger challenge. I think pretty soon I am going to formulate a SEAL training program and train to that, it will include a lot more cardio than I am doing and it should be brutal. I have noticed that when I stop seeing consistent improvement, motivation gets tough; I have also noticed that when life's stresses are bearing down, going to the gym can be the greatest escape from reality.

:cheers:

Dom117

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 17, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
1. I ride my (freeride)bike as much I can, only 1-2 days/ week in winter but in summer almost every day for atleast an hour.

2.I do my workout routine 2-3 times a week wich includes the following:

- Chest workout 'level2', I do more repetitions now because I've been doing it for a long time. about 1/3 more.
[video=youtube;kIaqbrWBexY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIaqbrWBexY[/video]

-Abs workout 'level3', Again instead of 50 reps per excercise, I do atleast 60 of them.
[video=youtube;6fN4IP30bnk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fN4IP30bnk&feature=plcp[/video]

After this I'm all warmed up and I start benching and using barbells for chest,biceps and shoulders.

I'm really proud of myself that I have been able to do this routine for more than 1.5 years. :)
It's not always easy after a long day of work and you have te choice to sit in the couch and watch TV or read on TMF forum ;)

THE key imo is persistence, even if your workout isn't the hardest, keep building it up and DON'T ever make excuses.
You're already in pain, get a reward from it ;)
I don't think I could ever stop doing this because I will lose everything I have worked so hard for.

Greetings and good luck to you all,

Dom

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Has anybody noticed a great improvement in quality of life by being fitter? (other than saying --man, I'm so hot-- when looking at the mirror)

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Has anybody noticed a great improvement in quality of life by being fitter? (other than saying --man, I'm so hot-- when looking at the mirror)

I have. I am happier and more motivated to get things done. It definitely helps your overall well being

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I forgot to add something really important, I work out every day but I only work a particular muscle group every 3 days. For anyone who is lifting every day (some of you may know this), you need to make sure you are not lifting with the same muscle groups day after day. Work a couple muscle groups one day, then a couple the next, and the next, and then return to the original group, etc.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
you need to make sure you are not lifting with the same muscle groups day after day. [/QUOTE]

^^ This is important...when i first started working out again after my concussion (About 8 weeks ago) I would do the same exercises everyday because I wasn't allowed to run or lift any heavy weights because my brain was still healing, I did that for about 2 weeks...I got extremely strong in those areas, but my muscles would be dead...a days rest is good (Especially if after each workout you take protein with some sort of recovery in it) but 2 days is better...for me I am only working out 4-5 groups of muscles so I can go every other day and be okay.

Dom117

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 17, 2012
Brussels, Belgium

-I too feel more motivated to get things done.
-My back is much straighter now when I walk because of the trained upper body.This gives a more confident look.
-The fact that you need to put in a lot of work for a long time to actually achieve something is a valuable event-process experience.

Lots of people think fitness is an event and give up after a couple of weeks or months, without results.
Popular excuses are; "I'm not made for this" or saying they have no time in their "busy" life.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I picked up a kettlebell a few months ago. It can be a pretty brutal workout if you want make it one. Cardio and strength gain in one quick workout.

I just got on vacation after a few months in the Stan and the wife was impressed. There's 1 beneft I've noticed :coolgleamA:

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
Being fit means being able to push yourself to the limits of your own body. The result of my regular workouts is always amazing:
- Improved my mood and general well being
-It improves my physical look ( looking more lean and confident)
-Somehow deepens my voice (haha!)
-Helps me sleep better
-Speeds up my metabolism allowing me to eat more occasionally without worrying much

BenP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 17, 2013
Groton, CT

By quality of life I assume you mean "Noticing a difference between being fitter and not fit." Simple answer - yes. It's because you're actually aware that you're improving yourself, seeing the results and fueling that positive thought process. The first rush of soreness you get from your first workout in a while can be VERY motivational. It's feeling the pain of the PROCESS and getting excited about it.

BECAUSE you are consciously thinking about your fitness and seeing the results (and in return thinking the thoughts of someone who DOES attract a better quality of life), you are basically putting yourself into a self-fulfilling prophecy. You THINK you are improving your quality of life and thus, you are. These are the best thought loops to have.

Walking taller, feeling your shirts stretch in the arm and chest area, the increased ENERGY all contribute to looking your best to others. It's that 'Halo Effect" that Robert Cialdini talks about in his book, Influence. Here's a snippet of his explanation:

Research has shown that we automatically assign to good-looking individuals such favorable traits as talent, kindness, honesty, and intelligence (for a review of this evidence, see Eagly, Ashmore, Makhijani, & Longo, 1991). Furthermore, we make these judgments without being aware that physical attractiveness plays a role in the process.

So yes! Your quality of life improves exponentially! Hope this helps you and good luck with Insanity! It kicked MY a$$!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.