The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Life's Gumball Machine, Creating Your Own Luck

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Saw this in my twitter feed, aside from some odd theatrics, I thought it was a nice animated summary of my Gumball Machine metaphor within my new book UNSCRIPTED . Not sure who the gal is, lol.

There are 2 ways to change your luck:

1) Keep throwing action into the gumball machine

and

2) Change the contents of your gumball machine.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
If your mindset is still stuck in the semantics of "luck" then you are WAY behind.

Its more productive to think of the world in terms of casual variables and the simultaneous inter-relation between them, the same way scientist think.

When we think in terms of first principles, variables and models our mind shoots up to a level that allows us to see complex casual relationships that greatly improve our problem solving and decision abilities. This gives us valuable predictive intelligence. Where we can almost say "there's a 95% chance A will happen versus B, or A is not A". Or we can clearly see what variables need to be tweaked to give us a desired outcome.

I love using the exercise of "perfect information", imagine the intelligent decisions and predictions I could make if I had perfect information like in game theory.

The sad part about life is that we were never taught to think this way. Rather we were taught that we are normal and that success is merely "luck" therefore we should give up and be "normal".

Last edited:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Saw this in my twitter feed, aside from some odd theatrics, I thought it was a nice animated summary of my Gumball Machine metaphor within my new book UNSCRIPTED . Not sure who the gal is, lol.

and

Cool visualization & plug!

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Rather we were taught that we are normal and that success is merely "luck" therefore we should give up and be "normal".
Don't know how to explain that, but sometime i hear people saying "Look that kid riding a ferrari, his parents must be very rich, his lucky" and in my head (even before TMF &UNS') i was telling myself like : "Wait, this kid is lucky to get rich parents, but his parents didn't get rich by doing nothing, wtf you're saying that, of course he's enjoying life i would do the same, while developping new business, but his parents didn't get here by staying behind the TV"
People get stuck behind the luck factor, like stay in you 9-5 and hope to win the lottery, F*ck that!

I might get stuck in my situation because i don't have a fastlane move in sight, but even if i'm on the pc all day long, i don't stay there to watch south park, i'm searching non stop for great ideas while developping my clothing store with my OWN brand.

"People WANT it FREE!"

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Turn a different corner.

I’ve always liked the George Michael song, Different Corner.

Richard Wiseman writes that you can improve your luckiness by changing what you do, taking a different route, trying things you haven’t done before.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb says the more options you have in life the better your chances of attaining wins.

When I travel I cannot resist just going around one more corner to see what is there.

I do this a lot. I found that I get the most amazing experiences from being this way. One Sunday morning in Guangzhou China my wife and I were hungover and hungry. I said to her as we walked around looking for a place to eat, What are the chances of finding somewhere around here serving pizza and mojitos at 8AM?

We turned the next corner and found Tomatoes Pizza place where they also served mojitos. My wife was blown away and we still mention it when anyone talks about freaky experiences. Now I know some will think what were you doing drinking so early on a Sunday morning. Well the answer is, because we could.

When I was 19 I was working in London for a large store in Oxford Street, menial work but good experience in life for me. I was living in a shed behind a Bed and Breakfast in Victoria for a year. I made extra cash vacuuming the rooms. On a trip back home to Newcastle I was about to go for a lunchtime pint of beer before hitting the bookshops in the city when I hesitated as I walked past a Job Centre, a place that advertised jobs and training opportunities. I decided to go in and immediately saw an advert for training to become an Ultrasonic Technician. I applied and weeks later did the training course and changed my income hugely for the better, also using this job to travel around the world and get paid for it. I shudder to think where I would be in life had I gone for that beer

Do you have a huge curiosity about the world?

Can you resist going around a different corner?

Try doing something a bit different every week. Take a different route to your usual haunts.

You just might change your life.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Thank you for sharing this, MJ. Today I bought a gumball machine and keep it next to my TMF book and coin container. Up above all of that is my purposed savings makeshift. Everyday that I take action, I'm going to put in a white, a green for feedback (sorry, couldn't find any orange at the store haha) and a red for a catastrophic event and then of course a gold when I make it. The coin, purposed savings makeshift and gumball ideas are all great daily reminders, and I appreciate you for sharing them in your books.

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020

and

and

This video motivated me to make a longer and more complex (read boring) version. :)
View: https://youtu.be/51oFAZkbylE

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts