The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Life is All About Choices

Anything related to matters of the mind

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
I came to a realization today that is very applicable to business as well as in health, the context in which I realized this. I think the underlying concept is one many people, even successful ones struggle with and I hope that those who stumble upon this may find some value in the lesson I have heard many times before but that finally sunk in today.

The Lesson:

For the last few months I have had a goal in my mind that I want to add another 10 lbs of muscle to my frame. I used to be a bit bigger, however I started making some changes in my life, and consequently with my nutrition and training, which focused more on health and longevity and less so on bodybuilding and strength training.

Lately, I’ve found myself in conflict over this goal to gain muscle and my goal to live in optimal health, with no injuries, increased energy and focusing on the long term.

So today I found myself, as usual, searching for information. Information that told me exactly what I wanted to hear, regardless of whether it was likely to work. I wanted to find a way to achieve both of these goals.

But then while I was reading something clicked. I already know exactly what I need to do to put on 10 lbs of muscle. I’ve been there before and I know what it takes. I could make several specific, actionable changes and get there relatively quickly. The formula is simple: get back on creatine, up my protein intake, up my carbs, lift more frequently and more intensely. The problem is that I just removed all these variables from my life in order to achieve my other goals. And therein lies the rub.

Instead of continuously searching for a way to get everything, a perfect “balance” if you can call it that, I needed to recognize that this does not exist. Instead of spending hours searching for the “fountain of youth” or any other fantastical object and unnecessarily increasing the stress, friction and worry in my life, I should focus on clarifying my values. This is a much better use of my time.

I finally realized I needed to do one or the other, or some combination, but that I will not be able to achieve 100% of each goal. I need to focus. I need to recognize this important lesson - that life is about choices. When you focus on one area, you necessarily lose focus in another area. This is why clarifying the values is important. It makes the decision easy.

The same lesson applies to business or financial goals as well. Gary Keller talks about this in his book “One Thing”, realize that if you want to achieve something you must focus your efforts on one area, but also realize that other areas of your life will then suffer.

If you want to pick something up, you must put something down, particularly if that something is large and heavy. Instead of struggling with this, accept it and you will be much happier. Focus on clarifying your values and then living in congruence with them. Then enjoy the peace that follows.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.