The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Life in the Country?

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
has anyone here either retired to, or is running their own thing (business or investments) from a farm or other rural area?

I wondering if anyone that has made a significant amount of dough, has had it with, or wanted to get away from city life, or even suburbian life? and if so, how is it living closer to nature and away from the hustle and bustle?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I do.

Would have it no other way. Can't imagine always living in the "city."

sheep-029.jpg

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I caretake on a ranch 10 miles out of town. And "town" is a ski resort of 15k. I live in an apartment above the stables (see pic) and have pretty decent views (see other pic).

I absolutely recommend getting out of the city. With mobile communications what they are, there is no need for most E-entrepreneurs to "be where the action is."

Last edited:

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
oh man, what vistas you guys have! I mean, I have the beach, but I live in town right now.

What kinds of businesses and jobs lend themselves to living way out there? It seems real estate could be good, trading, and anything online I guess. What are some must haves for you to make a living successfully? It seems a little tough if you are in a business where you deal with people regularly like sales.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Well, like I said, any E-biz can be operated remotely. REI is obviously fine. I'm writing a book, which can all be done over the internet. As long as you have unlimited minutes on your cell and a great internet connection at home, you can do whatever you want wherever you want. Be creative.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
oh man, what vistas you guys have! I mean, I have the beach, but I live in town right now.

Ya liked my view did ya? hehe.

Okay, here is my real back-porch view.

picture-264.jpg

What kinds of businesses and jobs lend themselves to living way out there? It seems real estate could be good, trading, and anything online I guess. What are some must haves for you to make a living successfully? It seems a little tough if you are in a business where you deal with people regularly like sales.

What do you do? How can you figure out how to do that remotely?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
What're you saying? The pic of my view isn't real?

Simmer down.

I was saying that my photo of sheep butt isn't my real back porch view. I have to walk around the barn to get that!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Wow you guys live in some pretty areas! I love it out west and I want to travel extensivly out their.

My uncle had a house way, way up in a remote part of VT. It was nice and quite, but VT is to quite, its nice to get back. I love being able to drive 1/2 a mile to get a 6 pack! Up in VT I was sober by the time I got more beer!:smx6::smx6::smx6:

I have salt in me and can't live more than 15 minutes away from salt water. I actualy get withdrawl if I don't drive by it at least once a day, and will go out of my way to drive by the beach. If I don't go sailing at least once a week, or go out in some form of boat, I get very cranky, winter is tough. I'm sitting on a hill overlooking quite dark Long Island Sound. Being on a boat is the only good way to spend a day, IMHO.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Simmer down. I was saying that my photo of sheep butt isn't my real back porch view.
LOL. I know. I was just playin'. You have a great view too!

...can't live more than 15 minutes away from salt water...
Yeah, the grass is always greener on the other side. I love the ocean too. That's why people have summer homes, right?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
zaiteku-

Back in the early 90s, I had offices in Marin County (SF bay area) and Bel Air (LA Area).

I worked w/celebrities and captains of industry, on projects all over the world.

Glamorous?

Perhaps. To someone else, looking at my jet set life.

But to me, it was all the same hotel rooms and bad meals.

I wanted to slow down.

Smell the roses.

Enjoy life.

So I closed both offices, and bought a fixer upper in the Napa Valley.

Out my front window were grape vines.

Out back was horse pasture.

I stopped doing part of my jobs, farmed out that part of the work, and focused on design and calibration.

In the first few months in the country, I bought my first convertible, a gas BBQ, and a hammock.

Gas BBQ meant I could stop work, fire it up, and have BBQd chicken or ribs without waiting an hour for the charcoal to get to the right temp.

Hammock allowed me to really relax. Sit in the shade, look up at the blue skies (or the stars). I hadn't actually relaxed like that in years.

Convertible through the wine country. No words to describe this really. One of the best things I've ever done for myself. :)

Spent the next few years working out of my house, combining trips so that I'd be on the road for 4-5 weeks, then back to paradise for the next few months before heading out again.

Lots of time by myself. Enjoying the sunshine, the wineries, the great restaurants.

I loved it.

Fixed up the country house. Bought another country house while I was fixing up House #1.

Fixed that one up, too.

Met a gal, fell in love, and worked at starting a family (work, work, work! ;) ).

Sold both houses (over a period of a few years) and made enough to start our next venture.

Had to move to a small town (Napa) to do that, though-- since having a Bed & Breakfast in town had a much higher potential rate of return than one in the country.

Do I regret leaving my idyllic country life?

Yeah, sometimes.

I'll probably get back to it someday.

When I retire in a few years, with my family. :banana::banana::banana:

-Russ H.

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
that was a great story Russ, and thanks to all you guys that replied with ideas as well. Im a Producer right now, its hard to do that remotely since I work with people all day directly (software engineers), but I suppose I could search for modifications that would allow me to do that.

Its definitely a dream of mine, I'll keep looking into ways to achieve it.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
ATW - that's the same kind of view I have when I stay on my friend's wheat farm.

I ride ATV's, motorbikes, go off-road driving, shooting, etc. Awesome place. Quiet at night, peaceful, you can see the stars, no timetables to conform to. The only problem here is drought.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Ya liked my view did ya? hehe.

Okay, here is my real back-porch view.

picture-264.jpg

What do you do? How can you figure out how to do that remotely?

Wow Montana is beautiful. I love landscapes like this...open plains, pastures and lakes surrounded by stunning mountains. Thats partly why my goal is to eventually settle around Queenstown New Zealand :)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Zaiteku,

Have you gone through this exercise?

Dreaming of a life in the country or a life of travel or a life at sea or a life of __________ (insert any kind of dream) is a great start. You need to know what lifestyle you want before you can figure out how to get there!

While dreaming is one of the first steps, it is only that... a step. You can get there, but you need to plan for it and put that plan into action. Figure out what your dream will cost you, figure out how you will make the money, then work at it!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, the grass is always greener on the other side. I love the ocean too. That's why people have summer homes, right?

My friends and I are going to buy other homes in various parts of the country and trade. We want them in FL, VT, Outer Banks and maybe something out west.

If we each get one we can swap them around and enjoy a bunch for the price of one.:cool:

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
AroundTheWorld,

thanks for reminding me about that exercise, its awesome, Im going through it right now, being fairly thorough.

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
hehe, yeah. Im thinking more like country in Hawaii. I dont think I can live in snow for long periods of time either. Though I love to visit for snowboarding.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I'm not much of a country fan, personally. I like being with people a lot, so the idea of being pretty far from your neighbors and not having that busy, people-filled life isn't really my cup of tea.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I'm not much of a country fan, personally. I like being with people a lot, so the idea of being pretty far from your neighbors and not having that busy, people-filled life isn't really my cup of tea.

I always find different perspectives interesting. I grew up in Colorado, and the mountain mentality suits me well. I found those who grew up in the south hated living in Washington, while those who grew up in California hated living in the south. Just as an observation, I see many folks try and get back to the lifestyle and culture that they grew up in.

I'd almost venture to say the United States has many cultural regions that can be night and day differences.

California, Northwest, Southwest, Mountain region, northern plains, Southern Plains, Texas, south, Florida, Central Appalachian Mountains, New England, New York.

I'm sure I missed a few. Heck you could even break it up much further if you want. There is a difference between a southern Coloradoan and northern Coloradoan.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I always find different perspectives interesting. I grew up in Colorado, and the mountain mentality suits me well. I found those who grew up in the south hated living in Washington, while those who grew up in California hated living in the south. Just as an observation, I see many folks try and get back to the lifestyle and culture that they grew up in.

I'd almost venture to say the United States has many cultural regions that can be night and day differences.

California, Northwest, Southwest, Mountain region, northern plains, Southern Plains, Texas, south, Florida, Central Appalachian Mountains, New England, New York.

I'm sure I missed a few. Heck you could even break it up much further if you want. There is a difference between a southern Coloradoan and northern Coloradoan.
Yeah, I agree with ya.

I've lived in the suburbs my whole life, but "suburbs" around here are basically akin to "cities" in some places like the Midwest.

I've never actually lived in "the city" (which is NYC to the people around here), but I think it'd be cool. I know some people who say they'd absolutely hate it, and they'd even be scared of it. I'm the opposite way; I'm more afraid of being out alone in the mountains or the country.

My aunt lives out "in the country", but it's really not that rural. It is to me, but probably not to most of you. It's fun to go out there for a day or two, but I can't be away from "civilization" for too long.

Could be because I'm a people person...?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I can't imagine life in the city.

(And to me, city is a town w/ metropolitan population of about 95,000.) I feel claustrophobic. I get impatient with traffic and lines. When ever I fly over southern California, I look out the window and just shake my head. All those acres and acres of houses? I can't imagine living there.

I need my wide open spaces.
Canadian Geese flying overhead
Birds chirping
Owls hooting
Coyote's yipping

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I can't imagine life in the city.

(And to me, city is a town w/ metropolitan population of about 95,000.) I feel claustrophobic. I get impatient with traffic and lines. When ever I fly over southern California, I look out the window and just shake my head. All those acres and acres of houses? I can't imagine living there.

I need my wide open spaces.
Canadian Geese flying overhead
Birds chirping
Owls hooting
Coyote's yipping

Yeah, it always freaks my friends out when they come visit. Sometimes the coyotes sound like they are 10 feet from you. I have had hawks swoop down in front of me on my scooter, one had just tried to catch a fish and dripped water on me as he flew over. Awesome sight. :icon_super:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.