The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Please Leave the Politics to CNN and FOX.
    Just a reminder that political topics/memes is prohibited, unless discussed within the realm of business and investment, for example, the impact the new Treasury Secretary might have with BTC. Please help keep the forum free of politics.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Liars and Thieves

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

ChrisJHarrington

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 27, 2014
Does anyone else see all too often, people lying about their businesses in order to advance in society?

I heard a story about a current student at the college I graduated from who's claimed he's generated millions in revenue by age 19 with his business / businesses.. and most notably was on shark tank and raised $200K from Cuban for 20% of his company - but obviously the truth came out on the show that he really only had 60K in revenue.

Supposedly he lied about his revenues to win a lot of free money in business plan competitions around campus. People like that, IMO, will never make it far..

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Well you know, the actions always drown out the words. The wealthy people who genuinely accumulated their wealth don't have to keep running around screaming "I'm rich, I'm rich!" They just know it and allow their actions to speak for itself.

Also, people as such barely make it on the forum here with their lies, we don't fall for their bait, the actions are what speak loudly, not specifically empty words. Lol.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
There are true wealth creators, and then there are money-chasers. The money chasers will lie, cheat, steal, use deception/false advertising/bogus claims and do whatever it takes to make money. Worse, they justify the behavior because, "Hey, look! I made money!"

In its basic simplification, the liar wants a shortcut to a productocracy and the success it yields, and when one isn't available, he lies ... "We have 1000 customers! We made $10M last quarter!"

I remember years ago I had a new competitor spring up who literally grabbed all of my customer testimonials and put it on his website. Didn't even try to be covert about it, just copy, paste, word for f*cking word. He was a money chaser who wanted the shortcut -- instead of providing a service deserving of testimonials, he just took what he wanted like a Viking raider in a monastery.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Does anyone else see all too often, people lying about their businesses in order to advance in society?

I heard a story about a current student at the college I graduated from who's claimed he's generated millions in revenue by age 19 with his business / businesses.. and most notably was on shark tank and raised $200K from Cuban for 20% of his company - but obviously the truth came out on the show that he really only had 60K in revenue.

Supposedly he lied about his revenues to win a lot of free money in business plan competitions around campus. People like that, IMO, will never make it far..
I'm familiar with them...

upload_2018-1-15_17-10-16.png

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
There are true wealth creators, and then there are money-chasers. The money chasers will lie, cheat, steal, use deception/false advertising/bogus claims and do whatever it takes to make money. Worse, they justify the behavior because, "Hey, look! I made money!"

In its basic simplification, the liar wants a shortcut to a productocracy and the success it yields, and when one isn't available, he lies ... "We have 1000 customers! We made $10M last quarter!"

I remember years ago I had a new competitor spring up who literally grabbed all of my customer testimonials and put it on his website. Didn't even try to be covert about it, just copy, paste, word for f*cking word. He was a money chaser who wanted the shortcut -- instead of providing a service deserving of testimonials, he just took what he wanted like a Viking raider in a monastery.

Oooooooooo. These are the stories I like. You never get to hear about the behind the scenes stuff that goes on.

SO - what happened? Did your Limo driver Vinnie kick the snot out of him? Did you turn the tables on him and have him running with his tail between his legs? I hope you didn't do the honorable thing and just suck it up and move on! Whatever it is - I want the movie rights!!!

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Do people make lots of money by lying and cheating? Absolutely.

Eventually liars are exposed and the truth cannot be buried under a rug forever.

It's just a lesson that it's never in your best interest to live a false life.

It hurts other people and it hurt yourself too.

I truly believe honesty builds self-esteem.

ChrisJHarrington

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 27, 2014

Curious to hear where this person is today..

Do people make lots of money by lying and cheating? Absolutely.

Eventually liars are exposed and the truth cannot be buried under a rug forever.

It's just a lesson that it's never in your best interest to live a false life.

It hurts other people and it hurt yourself too.

I truly believe honesty builds self-esteem.

I believe the business-world is relatively small, too. Once you start stepping into the realm of massive success, there aren't THAT many other people on the same wavelength as you. So if you become 'that guy', you won't last very long with a poor reputation, especially when you're the elite 1% producer in a specific niche/segment.

I was thinking about this earlier yesterday - I've had a few friends say to me recently "you're way ahead of everyone else" and all I could think to myself was "No I'm not.. I honestly haven't produced anything notable to society yet, I'm still learning and growing and trying to find my way and build things that produce value for others" - but then I realized they were right.

Compared to 99% of society, just by me trying and building and creating and hustling to provide value, I find myself only looking at a small percentage of producers and saying "how do I keep up with these guys" when in fact there's probably only a few thousand people who even go and build something that produces value for others.

Long-thought cut short, I think being successful in business is a rarity, and if you step into the 1% of the world that produces and do it by lying, cheating, and stealing, you're not going to last very long once you ruin your reputation.

Sure, there are some people who make a few million bucks along the way, but they never really reach the massive success like those who do it ethically.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I myself tend to lean towards ethical egoism. Where not only do you have a duty to yourself but also to others as well.

Where I ask myself is this truly in my best interest?

Most dishonest behaviors are actually self-sabotaging so it really doesn't make sense at all to hurt others.

Capitalism is the fastest way for a society to build wealth but it works best when people are honest, responsible and keep their fiduciary promise/duty.

I guess capitalism gets a bad rap sometimes because people think it means taking advantage of others only because an individual did. Where as capitalism in itself helps others not hurts them.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
SO - what happened? Did your Limo driver Vinnie kick the snot out of him? Did you turn the tables on him and have him running with his tail between his legs? I hope you didn't do the honorable thing and just suck it up and move on!

He got a couple of letters from my attorney. Back in those days, they were quite active as crazy shit like this was happening almost monthly. He eventually removed them and just replaced them with fake ones.

Daniel...D

Contributor
Jul 27, 2017
US

All's fair in war.

Ray Goslin

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 13, 2016

WOW MJ, what a lowlife.
You more than anyone knows, his tactics are not a formula for success.

Last edited:
D

Deleted52409

From my personal experience, it can sometimes be way more difficult to maintain a lie rather than simply telling the truth.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Yeah, your youtube channel is incredible and all the videos I have seen so far are really great...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Finally! I just launched a short story on Kindle (FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited)! After...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
I planned to make a separate post for this video but it is useful here as well for anyone...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Last promo of the year.. Get the training you need now or miss it. Promo Code: FINALHOUR...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
UPDATED POST: Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom