The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's - Journey To Doctor

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I wouldn't call students in a College Masters Program, who used a few of your sentences in a discussion post, "Cheats and thieves."

I'm not you.

This isn't even close to what I am saying. I share one viewpoint that you disagree with and you think I have a 'my way or the highway' mentality? I've never said I'm always right. I've also never said there is only one bridge. Now you're just making things up.

Maybe you should say what you're saying instead of using passive-aggressive attacks to make your points. Then things wouldn't be so confusing.

When you said this...

It sounds like your ego is driving this thought process and maybe you should get it in check.

You implied that letting the ego drive thought processes is "wrong." You don't have to say something is wrong for it to be implied. When you imply something is wrong, you are stating it is the opposite of right. So yes, you are showing "my way or the highway" mentality because you have defined what is right and wrong and attempted to push that perspective on myself and others.

Maybe you should consider changing your nature.

In this quote you suggested that my nature needs to be "changed." In other words, you are implying that there is something dysfunctional with my nature. If something is dysfunctional, then it is not functioning properly. In other words, it is functioning incorrectly, which is another word for "wrong." Wrong of course is defined by your perspective in this situation, so again we have an instance of "my way or the highway" mentality wrapped in multiple layers of passive-aggressive nonsense as you continued to defend your original point while accusing me of defending mine and implying that I am somehow wrong for doing so.

It doesn't bother me. You missed the point. Instead of just saying, "Interesting viewpoint. I'll have to consider it." You defended yourself and insulted others.

Here you've assumed to know my thoughts (and this is like the third time, which is weird because that isn't possible), and also implied that I gave an incorrect response to your post. By your standard, the correct answer would be "Interesting viewpoint. I'll have to consider it." But I didn't give that response, so I am incorrect. More your way or the highway...

A lot of the things I write on this website aren't to change your mind. It's to change the minds of others who come by and read them. I'm not dumb enough to think I can change you. But a bystander reading this who had no opinion on the matter might be better off through this discussion.

You're dumb enough to think that you have some weird duty to change other people, and that the way you're trying to change them is somehow better than the way they already are. But you're right, someone reading this might be better off. If they are, it doesn't mean it was because of your posts.

Although, you do seem to have a knack for burning bridges... Who am I to tell you to throw away one of your strengths?

More passive-aggressive nonsense.

You're not right. I'm not right. But I'm also not wrong, and if you think I am, prove me wrong.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I'm not you.

Maybe you should say what you're saying instead of using passive-aggressive attacks to make your points. Then things wouldn't be so confusing.

When you said this...

You implied that letting the ego drive thought processes is "wrong." You don't have to say something is wrong for it to be implied. When you imply something is wrong, you are stating it is the opposite of right. So yes, you are showing "my way or the highway" mentality because you have defined what is right and wrong and attempted to push that perspective on myself and others.

In this quote you suggested that my nature needs to be "changed." In other words, you are implying that there is something dysfunctional with my nature. If something is dysfunctional, then it is not functioning properly. In other words, it is functioning incorrectly, which is another word for "wrong." Wrong of course is defined by your perspective in this situation, so again we have an instance of "my way or the highway" mentality wrapped in multiple layers of passive-aggressive nonsense as you continued to defend your original point while accusing me of defending mine and implying that I am somehow wrong for doing so.

Here you've assumed to know my thoughts (and this is like the third time, which is weird because that isn't possible), and also implied that I gave an incorrect response to your post. By your standard, the correct answer would be "Interesting viewpoint. I'll have to consider it." But I didn't give that response, so I am incorrect. More your way or the highway...

You're dumb enough to think that you have some weird duty to change other people, and that the way you're trying to change them is somehow better than the way they already are. But you're right, someone reading this might be better off. If they are, it doesn't mean it was because of your posts.

More passive-aggressive nonsense.

You're not right. I'm not right. But I'm also not wrong, and if you think I am, prove me wrong.

Holy F*cking shit. You are reading way to deep into what I posted. I'm not Plato.

Believing that something is wrong is not the same as the 'my way or the highway' mentality.

You're dumb enough to think that you have some weird duty to change other people

And you're dumb enough to not use your own teachings in your own life. You introduced me to the Enneagram and I am a type 1 "The Reformer." Changing things for the better is what drives me and for you to say that is dumb is ridiculous since you are the one that showed me this in the first place.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Holy F*cking shit. You are reading way to deep into what I posted. I'm not Plato.

Believing that something is wrong is not the same as the 'my way or the highway' mentality.

And you're dumb enough to not use your own teachings in your own life. You introduced me to the Enneagram and I am a type 1 "The Reformer." Changing things for the better is what drives me and for you to say that is dumb is ridiculous since you are the one that showed me this in the first place.

I'm definitely dumb. I don't hate you. I make a lot of mistakes. We're both dumb. We can still be friends. I definitely read too much into things and I'm a hothead too. I might be an eight except I think about things too much. Five connects to eight and eight is basically the opposite of one. So it makes sense that we should disagree so much and that our life approaches would clash.

My approach is the approach of a Five. Fives are survivalist who go through life not depending on other people, and seeming as though they think others are beneath them. So that perception makes sense.

Your approach seems appropriate for a One. Neither is right or wrong though. Just different paths. I do value this discussion more now, if only for the personality insights.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I'm definitely dumb. I don't hate you. I make a lot of mistakes. We're both dumb. We can still be friends. I definitely read too much into things and I'm a hothead too. I might be an eight except I think about things too much. Five connects to eight and eight is basically the opposite of one. So it makes sense that we should disagree so much and that our life approaches would clash.

My approach is the approach of a Five. Fives are survivalist who go through life not depending on other people, and seeming as though they think others are beneath them. So that perception makes sense.

Your approach seems appropriate for a One. Neither is right or wrong though. Just different paths. I do value this discussion more now, if only for the personality insights.

Yea it's all good.

If you are an Eight then you shouldn't act like a Five at all right? A Five is your stress. Shouldn't you strive to act like a Two? A Two is all about caring for and building bridges with others the opposite of a Five right?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Yea it's all good.

If you are an Eight then you shouldn't act like a Five at all right? A Five is your stress. Shouldn't you strive to act like a Two? A Two is all about caring for and building bridges with others the opposite of a Five right?

The Riso-Hudson approach to the Enneagram says that Two is the integration point for Eight, but I'm not an Eight. Ideally, everyone should strive for integration of all points if they want to achieve a state of "wholeness" by the Riso-Hudson model.

There are other models of the Enneagram that suggest the directional arrows don't matter because each directional point occurs on a continuum and each type has a connection to both points. So a Five will display traits of both the Seven and Eight whether they move in a positive or a negative direction. A One will display traits of both Seven and Four, though one set of traits is usually dominant.

According to the Riso-Hudson model, my direction of integration is toward Eight. I try to embrace Eight-like traits because Eights do well as entrepreneurs.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thought I blew it this week. I misread an assignment and didn't realize it was due last Thursday. I didn't start mine until Sunday. Since I was late, I felt less motivated and didn't try as hard. I was disappointed with the quality of work but did my best to meet requirements anyway.

I was the last one to turn work in and was sure I'd get a zero. But Psyko (the God of Psychology :D ) had other plans. When I turned the assignment in, I mentioned that I'd misread the instructions, how bad I felt for being late, and that I accepted my fate but was disappointed in myself.

This morning the assignment showed graded. I opened it with heart palpitations. Had to blink a lot and reread the score several times. There was no zero. Instead, I got the highest score in the class! Not only was it the highest score, but it was a perfect score?!

I don't think the instructor liked me when we started the class. But probably several things affected this outcome:

1. Consistent high-quality work on all past assignments
2. Not making excuses in the face of my own failure

There's a lot of psychology underlying both of those. Anyway, I'll be more careful in the future. Two more weeks and I'll be done with psychopharmacology. Interesting course. Not my cup of tea. Looking forward to moving on.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thought I blew it this week. I misread an assignment and didn't realize it was due last Thursday. I didn't start mine until Sunday. Since I was late, I felt less motivated and didn't try as hard. I was disappointed with the quality of work but did my best to meet requirements anyway.

I was the last one to turn work in and was sure I'd get a zero. But Psyko (the God of Psychology :D ) had other plans. When I turned the assignment in, I mentioned that I'd misread the instructions, how bad I felt for being late, and that I accepted my fate but was disappointed in myself.

This morning the assignment showed graded. I opened it with heart palpitations. Had to blink a lot and reread the score several times. There was no zero. Instead, I got the highest score in the class! Not only was it the highest score, but it was a perfect score?!

I don't think the instructor liked me when we started the class. But probably several things affected this outcome:

1. Consistent high-quality work on all past assignments
2. Not making excuses in the face of my own failure

There's a lot of psychology underlying both of those. Anyway, I'll be more careful in the future. Two more weeks and I'll be done with psychopharmacology. Interesting course. Not my cup of tea. Looking forward to moving on.
I've been in that situation before, and yeah...a rush-delivery work might spawn wonders once in a while.

While a prior track record of good work ethic can help, I would say that crafting a decent academic essay can be done in a few hours, as long as one knows the fundamentals of the subject matter (enough to type on Google Scholar search) and how to arrange a framework of intro, lit review, discussions and conclusion.

And you're a regular writer anyway, so that could have helped.

Now, for data-heavy assignments (as in the case of my business analytics major), that's a different story altogether...

It was also fortunate that it's an individual assignment.
Group members can sometimes be sheer disappointments. I'd go on forever on them!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've been in that situation before, and yeah...a rush-delivery work might spawn wonders once in a while.

While a prior track record of good work ethic can help, I would say that crafting a decent academic essay can be done in a few hours, as long as one knows the fundamentals of the subject matter (enough to type on Google Scholar search) and how to arrange a framework of intro, lit review, discussions and conclusion.

And you're a regular writer anyway, so that could have helped.

Now, for data-heavy assignments (as in the case of my business analytics major), that's a different story altogether...

It was also fortunate that it's an individual assignment.
Group members can sometimes be sheer disappointments. I'd go on forever on them!

I wish it was a paper! It was an interactive media assignment. That's why I waited to do it. :D

What you described is a large part of my process for writing academic papers though. Figured out early on that half the points I lost resulted from improperly formatted papers.

So I set up templates based on the school's guidelines and then modified those at the beginning of each course based on the instructor's feedback for the first assignment.

Now it's mostly fill-in-the-blanks with writing. The slowest part is researching sources.

Hopefully, I won't have to do much group work in the future.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
And another one bites the dust! Survived Psychopharmacology (with an A of course)! On the way out I sent a thank you message to the instructor and got this back in reply:

Hi Lex,

Thank you for the kind email and thank you for being such a wonderful student. You are actually my favorite kind of student - really intelligent with a little bit of smart a$$ : P

I'm so glad you enjoyed the course and I hope to have you in another class in the future.

Now I'm in Research Design and Methods. So far it's mind-numbing but once it's out of the way, then there are only four classes remaining for the master's and I'm excited for three of them. Up next is Psychological Testing and Assessment. Then it's Psychopathology followed by Clinical and Counseling Psychology and finally the capstone course.

At this point I'm struggling to decide if I want to switch to Fielding University or stay with Ashford for the doctoral program. Ashford will cost less (especially thanks to alumni benefits) and will be easier since I already have a good grasp of expectations and also because instructors are familiar with my work.

But Fielding has specialization in Brand and Media Psychology and the courses look way more interesting than Ashford. With Ashford I would either specialize in Wellness or Industrial/Organizational psychology. Both Fielding and Ashford will allow me to finish a doctoral program in roughly the same amount of time. With Fielding I'll earn a second master's degree along the way.

It's a tough decision but I'm leaning toward Fielding due to elective offerings like:

- Brand Psychology & Transmedia Storytelling
- The Social Psychology of Narrative
- The Psychology of Mediated Meaning
- The Psychology of Neuromarketing
- Media & Political Psychology

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
That's so great!! I'm looking forward to reading your progress! You definitely have an advantage in passing with flying colors because of your experience in life prior to college and your work ethic is top-notch! I don't know how old your classmates are, but I know a lot of people who go straight from high school to undergrad, and from undergrad to graduate school without any gap years and I feel that those students don't know anything else aside from school and how to game the system. They're not mature enough mentally to handle the workload. I know I certainly wasn't.

But you got this! APA writing style is so dry, but it's concise. At least there are tons of resources on how to improve your writing.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
APA writing style is so dry, but it's concise. At least there are tons of resources on how to improve your writing.

I used to hate APA but the deeper I go into the program, the more I enjoy it. I'm very surprised by the number of people in class who have no grasp of it, though. Ashford has good APA resources, and they're pointed out by instructors throughout every class so there's no reason our mid-level grad students should be so terrible at it. But among my class I would say 95-99% are aiming for the minimum, trying to scrape by to a master's in the hopes they'll get a job or a raise.

USN-Ken

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Apr 21, 2015
Durant, Iowa
…... Plus I'm pretty good at written intimidation that doesn't cross the line, so I sent them all messages of warning. Hopefully they get the picture.

That sounds like an info product waiting to happen: "Write intimidation letters like an S.O.B. and win"

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
And another one bites the dust! Survived Psychopharmacology (with an A of course)! On the way out I sent a thank you message to the instructor and got this back in reply:

Now I'm in Research Design and Methods. So far it's mind-numbing but once it's out of the way, then there are only four classes remaining for the master's and I'm excited for three of them. Up next is Psychological Testing and Assessment. Then it's Psychopathology followed by Clinical and Counseling Psychology and finally the capstone course.

At this point I'm struggling to decide if I want to switch to Fielding University or stay with Ashford for the doctoral program. Ashford will cost less (especially thanks to alumni benefits) and will be easier since I already have a good grasp of expectations and also because instructors are familiar with my work.

But Fielding has specialization in Brand and Media Psychology and the courses look way more interesting than Ashford. With Ashford I would either specialize in Wellness or Industrial/Organizational psychology. Both Fielding and Ashford will allow me to finish a doctoral program in roughly the same amount of time. With Fielding I'll earn a second master's degree along the way.

It's a tough decision but I'm leaning toward Fielding due to elective offerings like:

- Brand Psychology & Transmedia Storytelling
- The Social Psychology of Narrative
- The Psychology of Mediated Meaning
- The Psychology of Neuromarketing
- Media & Political Psychology
Well, if my focus aim was just to finish the education, I would stay on at Ashford.

But if you are leaning towards Fielding for its Brand and Media Psychology, especially when they are topics you already delve deep into, by all means go for it.

I haven’t heard of any marketing or psych guru out there who took more formal or scientific education in such areas, which says one thing about credibility. Would be great to deepen your understanding of the Deep Magic:hilarious:

Is the price difference between the two options very wide? A few thousand?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Well, if my focus aim was just to finish the education, I would stay on at Ashford.

But if you are leaning towards Fielding for its Brand and Media Psychology, especially when they are topics you already delve deep into, by all means go for it.

I haven’t heard of any marketing or psych guru out there who took more formal or scientific education in such areas, which says one thing about credibility. Would be great to deepen your understanding of the Deep Magic:hilarious:

Is the price difference between the two options very wide? A few thousand?

About $50,000 :clench:

Apparently only like 2% of the U.S. has a doctoral degree, so that makes sense. Most of what I could learn through Fielding can be learned through Ashford by self-study. Probably the biggest difference is staff credentials and what I might learn from individual instructors through their experience-based expertise.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hmm, Fielding offers certificate programs in media psychology with an emphasis in areas such as brand psychology & media neuroscience.

Maybe that's an overlap option I could use. Pursue a doctoral degree with Ashford, and grab the courses I want from Fielding as certificate programs.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Opinions?
How do you feel about this situation? If I would let it go, I'd enable the behavior not only by those students, but by others. However, reporting it is likely to cause extra work and potentially frustration for the instructor which could have negative side-effects for me. For now I only contacted the offenders directly. Nobody else is involved.
[/QUOTE]

When I started my Masterjourney, the dean told us, that those, who steal and copy in university, will succeed to do that in life, too. So we shouldn’t care about them any more.

My methaphor is“ give a slap to the mud!“

My aim in getting the degree was the entrance to a job I wanted to have.
So I did only do to necessary. Beneeth 2 businesses.

Your way is a different, as you have the experience of life before it.

I wish you success!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
When I started my Masterjourney, the dean told us, that those, who steal and copy in university, will succeed to do that in life, too. So we shouldn’t care about them any more.

This is exactly what I would tell students if I wanted to decrease the likelihood of them reporting plagiarism that I'll later have to deal with which will suck up my time and get on my nerves.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Is this now turning into "The Slowlane Forum"?

A progress thread about a slowlane career?

What am I missing here?

Or will you mainly use the degree as a pedigree to charge higher rates for your courses?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
The part where I can do whatever the F*ck I want.
Sure. And I can do that, too.

At this rate we will soon have threads like "My journey to high school diploma" and "XYZ's Burger Flipping Guide: Earn 20k this Year (Yes, 2021!) & Go Sidewalk".

:rofl:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Sure. And I can do that, too.

At this rate we will soon have threads like "My journey to high school diploma" and "XYZ's Burger Flipping Guide: Earn 20k this Year (Yes, 2021!) & Go Sidewalk".

:rofl:

If you don't like what I'm doing, don't follow.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
For anyone who might come across this post:

This thread is called "Lex DeVille's - Journey to Doctor." It is not called, "Watch me follow someone's personal opinion (read "script") of what 'fastlane' means." I posted it to share one small part of my journey.

No school pays me for these posts. I am not part of any government organization with an incentive to push people into educational debt. I do not have courses or coaching programs aimed at people who are interested in grad school. I am not an affiliate of any college.

I have not asked anyone to follow this thread. I have not forced anyone to follow this thread. If you don't like something I do, there is no requirement to follow. Personally, I don't care if you follow or not. It makes no difference to me or any of the things I'm doing.

There is no right or wrong way to do things. Going to school does not mean the opposite of fastlane, although believing that it does IS the opposite of fastlane mindset in my opinion.

I wanted to advance my education and that's what I'm doing. I am also building several businesses. My businesses pay for my education.

There is no rule that says you can't go to school and have a business (which is why there is a truck and trailer outside of my house and a garage full of new tools as I dive into another industry without experience WHILE maintaining my education).

It's not like I'm not sharing about that progress either. Anyone with inside access can read it in my thread here.

Trailer 1.jpg

Tools.jpg

I don't know why some people are so worried about what everyone else on this forum is doing, or about the choices everyone makes. The forum is not anybody's F*cking babysitter.

Stop worrying about others so much. Reflect on your own situation. If you don't like how your life is, then figure out how to fix that for yourself.

In the meantime, I'll be sharing about my progress doing the things I want to do in life, enjoying the liberty I've created for myself, and pursuing entrepreneurship in whatever way I want to without following anyone else's idea of how that should be.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
For anyone who might come across this post:

This thread is called "Lex DeVille's - Journey to Doctor." It is not called, "Watch me follow someone's personal opinion (read "script") of what 'fastlane' means." I posted it to share one small part of my journey.

No school pays me for these posts. I am not part of any government organization with an incentive to push people into educational debt. I do not have courses or coaching programs aimed at people who are interested in grad school. I am not an affiliate of any college.

I have not asked anyone to follow this thread. I have not forced anyone to follow this thread. If you don't like something I do, there is no requirement to follow. Personally, I don't care if you follow or not. It makes no difference to me or any of the things I'm doing.

There is no right or wrong way to do things. Going to school does not mean the opposite of fastlane, although believing that it does IS the opposite of fastlane mindset in my opinion.

I wanted to advance my education and that's what I'm doing. I am also building several businesses. My businesses pay for my education.

There is no rule that says you can't go to school and have a business (which is why there is a truck and trailer outside of my house and a garage full of new tools as I dive into another industry without experience WHILE maintaining my education).

It's not like I'm not sharing about that progress either. Anyone with inside access can read it in my thread here.

View attachment 33774

View attachment 33776

I don't know why some people are so worried about what everyone else on this forum is doing, or about the choices everyone makes. The forum is not anybody's F*cking babysitter.

Stop worrying about others so much. Reflect on your own situation. If you don't like how your life is, then figure out how to fix that for yourself.

In the meantime, I'll be sharing about my progress doing the things I want to do in life, enjoying the liberty I've created for myself, and pursuing entrepreneurship in whatever way I want to without following anyone else's idea of how that should be.

View attachment 33778
Thanks for the note.
One of the important lessons I've gotten from here is to finish what you set out to do.

I have a cousin who was going to Canada to study storyboarding for films or animations.
Then he had a fallout with a girlfriend, quarrelled with his family, and decided to drop all plans and live out on his own.

No degree. And not even a stitch of marketable skills.

Nothing done, Fastlane or Slowlane.

Myself?

In the last few weeks, I found myself fighting college group assignments and client copywriting work, all in one stretch. Had to wake up cowardly team members, watch boring video lectures...and figure out how to write headlines for insurance banner ads and even LinkedIn posts, on the fly.

I was soooo tempted to give up on either, but then I remembered your thread.

I decided to push on...

The result?

Finished the college assignments. Got great grades for them.
I'm probably going to fire that client soon, if he doesn't accept my new packages (I'm generous enough to revise them for the SECOND time), but today he actually asked me if I could write more LinkedIn posts for him on a DAILY BASIS...

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Research design is rough. I'm hanging in there thanks to an F-ton of reading. A couple days ago the instructor sent an email:

Email.PNG

Pretty cool getting a note like that. This is one of the harder classes I've taken and the instructor has high standards. I also got invited to another honor society. That email came through this morning.

Tau Upsilon Alpha.PNG

There's another honor society, the Sigma Nu Tau entrepreneur society, which I'm not eligible for because I'm not enrolled in a business program haha.

One benefit of joining honor societies is the potential for scholarship access. Although, I may not be eligible for scholarships based on the color of my skin these days.

In total, I have four classes left before I finish the Master's (or whatever woke term we're using).

I'm starting to think about how I'll use the M.A. in business. An M.A. isn't the end goal, but it's still a valuable credibility marker. Looking forward to entering the doctoral program.

Sadly, I fear I'll earn that PhD only to be stripped of it at some future point due to perceived inequality between people who earn degrees and society's dredges. This will likely be the catalyst that propels me fully into a supervillain identity where the only path left is to carry out plans for world domination.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Research design is rough. I'm hanging in there thanks to an F-ton of reading. A couple days ago the instructor sent an email:

View attachment 33972

Pretty cool getting a note like that. This is one of the harder classes I've taken and the instructor has high standards. I also got invited to another honor society. That email came through this morning.

View attachment 33973

There's another honor society, the Sigma Nu Tau entrepreneur society, which I'm not eligible for because I'm not enrolled in a business program haha.

One benefit of joining honor societies is the potential for scholarship access. Although, I may not be eligible for scholarships based on the color of my skin these days.

In total, I have four classes left before I finish the Master's (or whatever woke term we're using).

I'm starting to think about how I'll use the M.A. in business. An M.A. isn't the end goal, but it's still a valuable credibility marker. Looking forward to entering the doctoral program.

Sadly, I fear I'll earn that PhD only to be stripped of it at some future point due to perceived inequality between people who earn degrees and society's dredges. This will likely be the catalyst that propels me fully into a supervillain identity where the only path left is to carry out plans for world domination.

Funny that the one person who should be let in to the entrepreneur society, that will most likely give everyone great value, and knowledge on the topic is not allowed in.

You can only laugh.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Email.PNG
Email.PNG
Great that you are keeping the forums alive! Yup, that's another sneaky way to catch the prof's attention.

As for the discussion forum for my Finance and Data units on Moodle...

I tried to post some pointers, especially on debugging R and summaries of class reads, but gave that up after talking to the wall for the first two weeks.

I stuck to email with the lecturer though.

Onwards! Continue to completion!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.