The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: Guru Cults Exposed: The Tactics "Experts" Use To Pull You In & Suck You Dry

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines
I have to admit it

I fall prey to one of the so called BRO marketers

I was sold on a copywriting course as I was tempted to learn from it

And the result...

$600 (₱30000) in debt and my mom lambashed me. Anyway I admit it it was my fault that I don’t do due dilligence and as a result, I forced myself to binge-watch fake guru exposed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Good time for a bump...

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't know how many people are keeping up with the crypto/nft threads, but here is what I think is on the horizon:

A new wave of blockchain gurus is about to storm the market.

Everybody knows there is some kind of opportunity hidden within words like "cryptocurrency," "blockchain," "NFT," "Web3" etc. But most people are too lazy to do any kind of research and reading on their own.

Plus, you can't just go to the exchanges and figure it out, and even when you do research, blockchain is still confusing and even the best YouTubers and blogs don't clear it up.

MTF shared a story from personal experience in another thread highlighting exactly why the new wave of gurus will arise.

This is hilarious. After a freediving session I was talking outside in front of the school with some guy about ways to make money as an author and mentioned that as new formats come along (such as NFTs), you can possibly take your content and adapt it into these new channels.

He started asking me various basic questions about NFTs (stuff I was also extremely apprehensive about, such as "why buy it if I can download a JPG"). Since I've done my homework I was able to answer all these questions in what I feel was a non-hypey "here's how it works" way.

Other people started listening as well and suddenly I became an NFT expert even though I know almost nothing about it LOL.

This only shows how early we're in this stuff and how little you need to know to know so much more than everyone else. If you dedicate a few dozen hours to it, you'll know more than almost everyone else in the world. When NFTs grow into new, everyday applications for regular people (like real estate, royalties, communities, etc.), you'll be far ahead.

I'll personally probably focus on NFTs for authors and/or artists in general as I think that they're so badly f*cked by big corporations that this can change their lives.

In short, nobody wants to miss the opportunity, but people also don't know how to get in on it.

So as soon as people think someone has *secret knowledge,* they will flock to that person, hoping for a shortcut, ready to shell out cash for courses because... "I'll just repay the $20k credit card debt when I make my first billion with that NFETHWEB3 thingy or whatever you know?"

All of the guru tactics I've talked about in this thread still apply. The ads, webinars, phone calls, and shifty sales tactics are all still in use.

Now they will be used to promote:

1. Blockchain/Crypto/NFT courses and coaching
2. Crypto Trading Bots

The crypto bot people are using the exact same process. I know because I'm the lead copywriter for one.

This trend has only just begun.

JustMorpheus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Dec 18, 2021
I almost fall victim over these famous "gurus." First, they (richdad) make you listen to their show every single day. It becomes very repetitive with little to no new content or specificity. Then, they tell you that the best way to invest is in you by buying books, going to seminars, etc. I called to receive more information about mentorship and the person I spoke with said "we will see because we need to find out if YOU are a match for out program." They hand you to another sales-person who will hook you in for four-five grand in mentorship which lasts three-four months. For the following weeks, they called me several times but I did not answer to sign up. Now I realized why the person I spoke with asked me about my financial situation and how much credit I had available.
I'm glad you realized your situation! I too also almost fell into the trap of buying books from gurus. After I had read RichDadPoorDad, I added a few other books to his book list. But I watched a video on YouTube by "alux" that completely opened my eyes. Like MJ DeMarco said: The gurus make money not form their own advice, but from SELLING their advice. We were tricked lmao.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
So as soon as people think someone has *secret knowledge,* they will flock to that person, hoping for a shortcut, ready to shell out cash for courses because... "I'll just repay the $20k credit card debt when I make my first billion with that NFETHWEB3 thingy or whatever you know?"
Back in the winter of 2017 when bitcoin went up to $17k or however much my mom got involved in a bitcoin MLM scheme...nothing legit at all, not even affiliate stuff, but sign up your friends type junk. Of course, after the 22nd of December, she lost interest in it.

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 22, 2011
I have to admit, I don't always understand when a guru is fake, but there are some signs that raise red flags for me.

One, is when they keep promoting affiliate courses through their email list almost on a weekly basis.

Two, they overcharge on teaching a single tactic. I once saw someone charging 3k for Facebook funnels and pages alone, and that was 'discounted'.

Three, they overplay the discount and limited time. I saw two gurus charging about 3k for a course that 'originally' they charge for 46k. They only taught affiliate sales on Facebook. What if Cuckbook shuts down your account after buying the course? OOPS!

Recently I have been looking for cold e-mail for B2B and I found this: Cold Email Mastery

It doesn't have a crazy price on it, but I'm wondering if it's a scam or not? If anyone has any clue on that, I would really appreciate some input here.

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
As Real Wages continue to drop in the developed world, these schemes will grow more numerous. People are desperate to have the standard of living that they see their parents and grandparents had. Many are realizing that a job will not allow them to retire under foreseeable economic conditions.
Recently I have been looking for cold e-mail for B2B and I found this: Cold Email Mastery

It doesn't have a crazy price on it, but I'm wondering if it's a scam or not? If anyone has any clue on that, I would really appreciate some input here.
I think Alex Becker has a free course on email marketing, maybe check that out

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think that guy is on Twitter as "Cold Email Wizard" or some-such. Maybe follow him and listen to him on podcasts if he's on any?

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 22, 2011
I think that guy is on Twitter as "Cold Email Wizard" or some-such. Maybe follow him and listen to him on podcasts if he's on any?
I saw some of his video interviews on Youtube. He might be nervous on camera, but for some reason he sounds a lot like a 'college bro'. His writing on twitter and sales page seem a bit more articulate than the way he speaks in the videos. Maybe I'm reading too much into the guy.

Honestly, that's the problem with my judgment. I don't know if I am letting my pride decide whether I should purchase this. My gut instinct says 'No' at this point.

Today, I had a look at another guy named Justin Michaels. Super chill and lays out his thoughts more coherently. He also doesn't charge an arm and a leg for his info. Sometimes contrasting people's attitude helps me decide faster, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
His writing on twitter and sales page seem a bit more articulate than the way he speaks in the videos.
I’d say that’s normal. I mean, have you heard my rambling when I chat with folks?

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Wow. I just got an entire marketing and sales education reading this whole thread. Thank you to everyone who contributed this is realllly a work of art. I can't believe I just got all of that information without buying a 997 dollar course lol...

flyingguitarist

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 27, 2021
What do you think about Dan Koe? I see him using all hypnotic language, vague works to buy his course

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.