The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Hi everyone:)

I've finished High School a month ago and I'm looking for a job. I don't have any work experience. Only option for me is to work as Virtual Assistant. If anyone needs one, I'll be more than happy to work for a minimal wage. I live in a 3rd world country and mayne 3-4$/h would be fine. Just need to start from somewhere. Thanks.

Hey Luna, welcome!

This isn't a good way to find work on this forum, or anywhere else really.

If you want to work as a Virtual Assistant, you will have to show people what they get by hiring you as a VA. What are your strengths? Maybe you are a fast worker, or you are available at times when other VAs aren't available.

Way too many people work for lower rates, thinking that lower rates equal to more work...yes, that is partially true, but even then, what differentiates you with all the other thousands of VAs from India / the Philippines who work for a similar rate AND have actual work experience?

I see you speak English pretty well, so you could leverage that maybe. Or maybe you have other strengths, like you are a good writer, or good at bookkeeping, or are very persuasive when writing emails.

I don't know you so this task is up to you, but once you have figured out your strengths, try again. Prove to people that you know what you are doing, and that therefore you can help them, and they will be more than happy to hire you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Impacto

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2020
Bulgaria/Italy
Yesterday I completed my first job! First income in months, it was a small one, but the important thing was that the client was happy with my work, he praised me and even gave me a tip. The feeling is incredible.

Now comes the hard part of doing this on a consistent basis. I don't expect every client to be easy to work with and to like my stuff, but I know I can put the work in.

I would like some advice on picking jobs. Should I even bother with those that have been up for more than 4-5 days? I don't want to waste connects for no reason. I just feel like the chance to get hired when you are late to the party is much smaller especially when there have been interviews and hires on the job already. Yet, the posting is still up and running so I am not sure. I know I can get the job, but I am not certain the job is still available. What do you guys think?

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
I would like some advice on picking jobs. Should I even bother with those that have been up for more than 4-5 days? I don't want to waste connects for no reason. I just feel like the chance to get hired when you are late to the party is much smaller especially when there have been interviews and hires on the job already. Yet, the posting is still up and running so I am not sure. I know I can get the job, but I am not certain the job is still available. What do you guys think?

I have the same question too, also does number of proposals affect my chances of getting hired, like does applying to jobs with less than 5 or 5-10 proposals is better that jobs with 50+ proposals ?

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
If other people have already been hired for the job, then I suggest to not bother with these job posts if you are scared of losing connects.

On the other hand, if the job is a bit old (say, 2 weeks) and no one has been hired, you should consider applying.

Why? Because it means the client hasn't found anyone in two weeks. They get an email when someone sends a proposal, so you'll stand out a lot more, since you are the only one who bothered to apply to their post in the past days.

Naturally, your proposal still has to be good, but rest assured, your chance of getting your proposal read is way higher than if you applied among 50 other people.

However, before sending a proposal to one of these job posts, check the client's history on Upwork: are they new to the platform? Then they might have forgot, or maybe they were only running an experiment.

Always check that they are committed to the platform, and that they already posted and completed at least a couple of other projects.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I have the same question too, also does number of proposals affect my chances of getting hired, like does applying to jobs with less than 5 or 5-10 proposals is better that jobs with 50+ proposals ?
Normally, yes. Less competition.

But I have seen jobs, especially with the ‘direct response copywriting’ keyword, get swamped by 50+ proposals, even when the job scope is extensive, has LOTS of requirements and is clearly not ‘easy’.

Just know that there are some very desperate freelancers who will bid for anything under the sun-regardless of scope or future performance.

And yes, it’s normal for the client to keep job posts up for 4-5 days, as they interview people.

Ragnar_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
May 13, 2019
Florida
Why are you doing this?
  • In May of 2020, I am quitting my current job. My effort since I discovered this forum has been directed towards building enough money to be able to support myself while I devote my energy full time to entrepreneurship. Whether it’s dropping my expensive girlfriend, not going out and blowing $60 bucks at bars on the weekends, and ensuring I have no freedom suckers (new car, newest phone, etc.).
  • I will need income to stretch my money further, so that I’m not right back where I started.
  • In order to stop thinking and start acting!
Describe your endgame in specific detail…
  • Get to a point where I earn enough money to supplement my current savings. Without any need to go do other work. I will more than likely quit doing freelancing when I have something worth devoting my whole attention to, i.e. my business is generating income.
How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
  • I need to earn enough money to cover rent in whatever city I land in ($750/month).
Who are you failing if you give up or don’t succeed?
  • I would be failing myself and the vision I have for myself. I am not going to spend the rest of my life making someone else rich.
About 5 months ago I made this post, here's a little update.

Covid changed a couple things! Not much sense in quitting a remote job at the moment. The amount of time I've gained has allowed me to focus on freelancing and building a pile for my exit - still on my path.

($750/month) - I made more then this today. And get close most days to beating this.

If it wasn't for this guide, there is no way I would have thought of doing this. Tons of gratitude for putting this together Lex.

Impacto

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2020
Bulgaria/Italy
It's been quite hard recently to get work. The first 3 projects were easy - simple article writing and the clients were great. Then I bumped into not so great clients, who would disappear for days on end and make excuses, but it is what it is.

I also started receiving weird invitations for projects that don't have much to do with copywriting, but I answered them anyway. I see it as a free ticket since it costs no connects. There is a chance I might start at one of them if can't find anything else interesting.

Still, no true copywriting job landed yet. I am going to start offering my services for free to prove my skills. In fact, I should have started doing this earlier. It would allow me to get some real experience and I am sure it will pay off in the end.

Impacto

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2020
Bulgaria/Italy
Sorry for the double post, but there have been some recent developments!

How things change in just a month and a half... I finally found my first copywriting job and I finally made some useful money! Some of it happened completely by accident, just like me finding this forum actually. It's so mental. :D

For those interested, my process is simple - I pick my clients well and never lie to them. If I have no experience in something or I am unsure, I tell them straight. But I also tell them that I believe that I can do it and normally we set up a test job. Most times I pass it and from there it gets easier.

Because I'm still new to this, almost everything is unknown to me. At first, it's scary and I wonder if I can do this. Then I do some searches or sometimes I ask the client if he has an example of something so I can visualize in my head what he wants. And then I start writing and things come together like magic. I try to apply all the major principles for copywriting and so far it's working.

The best thing is - the more jobs I get, the easier it gets to find clients. After I got the first job, I started using it in my proposals. Same with the second, third, and so on.

For the people that have doubts - JUST START! That is the hardest part. Once you begin, your brain will take care of you, I promise! It doesn't matter what it is, just start! And once you start, focus on helping people and solving their problems. Be a nice human and do your work as best as you can. The rest will take care of itself.

There was always something with me and writing, but now I have actual evidence that I can do this and people liking your work is so motivating and fulfilling! I can't thank Lex and everybody else in this amazing forum enough. I don't visit it as often as I should, but I will always be grateful for the value I got from it.

Gnark Gnark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 25, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello Everyone,

Just want to give a big shout out to Lex - thanks for this thread. It has been really useful! I have just started my first job!

Thanks for the easy and powerful tips - it did two things for me - helped me be more effective in my communications, but also provided the little baby steps I needed to keep my momentum and avoid panicking and falling back into the good 'ole analysis paralysis trap.

Gnark Gnark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 25, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Well, it turns out this first job was a bit rough. Not the job itself but instead the client. Looking for a bit of advice

TLDR: Client never voiced any concerns in the project, didn't even see my work and suddenly without notice cancelled the contract, gave me a one-star review unfairly accusing me of incompetence and fraud.

I'm concerned that the freelancer did not have either 1/ the requisite skills to complete the contract or 2/ was abusing the hourly contract structure to run up billing.

I asked him why he cancelled the contract and explained the deliverables were ready. He said he was concerned about questions I asked the night before and why I hadn't asked them on the first day (I had provided him an example of my calculations and asked him to confirm it). I explained my process involved first reviewing data and inputting files and then coding, calculating etc.

I have provided the deliverables and he said he may update his feedback.

WTF do I do? Am I screwed on upwork since this is my first job?

The weeds:

So, to give some context, the job was data wrangling and calculations. It consisted of combined 4 identical-format excel files and then applying the following calculations to 800 agents earning.

Commission Plan A

X% agent / Y% firm split of GCI
Caps at $A then agent is at B%
Cost of Services Sold (Franchise Fee) of T% till $Y then goes to X%

Commission Plan B
D% agent / E% firm split of GCI
Caps at $C then agent is at B%
Cost of Services Sold (Franchise Fee) of A% till $Y the
n goes to X%

I started working the day I got the contract for $40 and put in 3 hours setting up the repository, sending a mock up deliverable, reviewing the source data and starting the python script. He asked when I could complete it and I said worst case scenario was 7 days (I was being conservative in case something popped up and I couldn't work on it) - I got no response back so I thought it was fine.

The next day I spent 4 hours figuring out the proto-code, writing the script and reviewing the results. I had intended to spend another 2 hours QAing before providing the deliverables when he suddenly cancelled the contract.

I felt that this was a reasonable time needed for the job (about 1 days work) - usually I use R but in this case I used Python and was a bit rustier so it probably took about 20% longer than if I did it in R. I still thought this was reasonable

If anyone does data analysis in Python let me know if this is reasonable.

Most importantly, how can I salvage my reputation on upwork?

Also what are the lessons on client management? (I think I need to clarify his expectations of time needed, budgets, etc)

Gnark Gnark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 25, 2020
Ontario, Canada
So update on this issue. I talked to the client and as I expected he had freaked out when because I had not properly explained the process. We were able to work it out - I handed him the deliverables and he gave me a 5-star rating.

Well this was my first lesson in free-lancing,

D

Impacto

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2020
Bulgaria/Italy
So update on this issue. I talked to the client and as I expected he had freaked out when because I had not properly explained the process. We were able to work it out - I handed him the deliverables and he gave me a 5-star rating.

Well this was my first lesson in free-lancing,

D
Oh, that happened to me a few times as well. I had a job where we misunderstood each other and I did a copy on something else. I apologized and then started to work on what the client wanted me to work on, but there wasn't much to be done in terms of writing copy there. So I just opened up a google doc and gave him any suggestions I could, small copy improvements, etc. and I well-detailed everything. I didn't feel like I did much, and I started worrying, but he liked it, gave me 5 stars and a nice review.

Moral of the story - get out of your head, be nice and do what you can to help the client!

Impacto

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2020
Bulgaria/Italy
Happy New Year everyone!

It's 2021, but the lessons here still apply. Today I'm a full-time copywriter thanks to Lex and this thread. A few months ago I didn't even know what copywriting is. I don't make a lot of money right now, but I make enough to save a few bucks at the end of the month. I was making nothing over the summer.

But most importantly, I found a way to monetize something that I like and I'm decent at. Something I can focus on, improve and develop. Something that has the potential to go very far. Honestly, It feels awesome!

My targets for this year are quite big, but so is my resolve to achieve them. Because of this thread, I also discovered The Millionaire Fastlane . And you all know how important that book is, especially when you read it for the first time.

Now I have a roadmap, a destination, and a path on how to get there. And the journey is pretty fun! So yeah, happy new year and may 2021 bring us closer to what we desire. :)

J. Willy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Aug 25, 2018
Shoot,

I was going to post about how this still works in 2021, but someone beat me to the punch line. Thanks for the great thread Lex!

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
Unfortunately I've been deleted permanently from Upwork. I'll apply this to fiverr and see how it goes
If there's a specific guide like this for Fiverr in the forum let me know, but I couldn't find any

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
Getting started. First homework assignment:

1. I am doing it to finally start LIVING. To solve all this f*cking problems I have: bills and rent to pay, not being able to keep a damn job, barely having income, low self confidence from it all, anxiety for the close future.. I want to pay bills and rent with no worry, live in a good house , have spare money to spend on non-vital necessities. Free my mother from the need of working physical cleaning jobs. Say F*ck you ! to stupid jobs. Not looking for every possible way of saving money, asking for government help..

2. I want to be financially independent and free. Live on my own to start my journey: making money from anywhere, living how I want where I want, while still being able to provide for myself and my family. Being self sufficient and confident in my ability, in me being a man of value.Create and actually LIVE the awesome life I daydreamed about. Probably still living in Italy, having a nice apartment for myself, a nice car (useful and cool) get girls, lift, try out bjj, exploring my interests: painting, writing code, tinkering with tech, reading.... having free time do all this stuff, with a business that requires 3-4 hours work days weekends off..

3. 1000 a month is already a dream for the situation I am in now. 2000 thousand and I am jumping like a kid. More than that and I will embrace awesomeness

4. My mother. My family. Myself...

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
I have a question @Lex DeVille
I'm doing this on Freelancer.com, I'm doing as you said, creating the whole persona around your role, so everything, even seemingly unrelated work experience points back to your niche

When choosing education on the platform, they have a premade list of universities for each country. I have a diploma in Arts, which I want to put in as something relevant to my web design skills.
Do you think it's worth to put a related University even if it isn't the one I went to ?

I'm talking putting in an Arts Degree at an University in their list even if I really have a Arts Diploma from High School

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have a question @Lex DeVille
I'm doing this on Freelancer.com, I'm doing as you said, creating the whole persona around your role, so everything, even seemingly unrelated work experience points back to your niche

When choosing education on the platform, they have a premade list of universities for each country. I have a diploma in Arts, which I want to put in as something relevant to my web design skills.
Do you think it's worth to put a related University even if it isn't the one I went to ?

I'm talking putting in an Arts Degree at an University in their list even if I really have a Arts Diploma from High School

No, because that would be a lie, plus nobody cares about your degree.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
No, because that would be a lie, plus nobody cares about your degree.
Thanks man I’m trying to refine the profile as much as possible
What do you think about Freelancer ?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What do you think about Freelancer ?
Honestly, I don't think about freelancer. They wouldn't even be a consideration for me if I were still freelancing. Some people claim to be doing alright there, but I don't know what "alright" means.

If I were starting over, I wouldn't be on any of the platforms. Upwork is the most reputable freelance platform, but they're a shit company.

At this point, it would be easier, faster, and way more profitable to source clients locally, or at least outside of the platforms by cold calling/emailing or building inbound funnels. All of these paths lead to building valuable self-reliance skills that freelancers who get their clients from platforms almost always lack.

The problem with platforms is you have no control over anything, you give up a good chunk of your earnings, and if you ever get kicked out or the company goes under, then you're back to square one and you still don't know how to find clients on your own.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
Honestly, I don't think about freelancer. They wouldn't even be a consideration for me if I were still freelancing. Some people claim to be doing alright there, but I don't know what "alright" means.

If I were starting over, I wouldn't be on any of the platforms. Upwork is the most reputable freelance platform, but they're a shit company.

At this point, it would be easier, faster, and way more profitable to source clients locally, or at least outside of the platforms by cold calling/emailing or building inbound funnels. All of these paths lead to building valuable self-reliance skills that freelancers who get their clients from platforms almost always lack.

The problem with platforms is you have no control over anything, you give up a good chunk of your earnings, and if you ever get kicked out or the company goes under, then you're back to square one and you still don't know how to find clients on your own.
Great feedback thanks.

I stumbled across some posts of freelancers who where making money exclusively from upwork, then they get banned for no apparent reason and they lost their source of revenue. Too unreliable . I got banned but I didn’t event start so that didn’t affect me so much

That has to be though
Your reply made me realize that I should focus my energy on getting local clients . I was doing both Fox web school and this guide. Better to concentrate on one.

This is still useful for the mentality of approaching people
Also love the idea of having the skills to get clients

KingWing26

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 7, 2016
Boston, MA
Better late than never...

1. I can feel it in myself that I was born to be an entrepreneur and to use this one life we're given to make a difference and make it worth while.

2. My end goal is pictured by me and my (soon to be) wife with children, living happily and comfortably in our own home where I have my own small business that is both flexible, lucrative and brings joy to others. I also have an incredible team to rely on when I need to step away or take vacations or focus on family.

3. $4,000-$5,000/month would be the goal considering I'm in Boston with a high cost of living.

4. Myself, my family, my friends, those I've lost in life and those I can bring value to in life.

Cheers!

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
Day 1: How to Get Approved on Upwork 2019

The best way to get approved on Upwork is to make it happen on your first try. That isn't to say all hope is lost if you don't get it on your first try. Only that your first try is the best chance you've got. After that your chances drop.

Today's guide is based on it being your first try. The idea is to give you the best possible chance to get approved. Do NOT try to get approved before reading this post or watching the video.

To get approved on Upwork you have to give them what they want.

Here's all the stuff NOT to do:

• Do NOT list more than one skill in your title
  • Do NOT pick unrelated skill tags
  • Do NOT use a YOU Focused bio
  • Do NOT leave your education and work history blank
  • Do NOT leave any area blank
  • Do NOT price yourself outside of Upwork's suggested ranges
  • Do NOT submit your profile before you spell check it
Those are the main things that I've seen get people rejected.

Now let's talk about what you SHOULD do.

• Add a clear, smiling, front-facing head shot image
  • Pick ONE skill and build your profile around that skill
  • Pick a NICHE of that skill to show you're a professional
  • Write your bio to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your education to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your employment history to support your abilities with that skill

Basically you want to build your entire profile around a single niche skill. It doesn't matter what industry it is in. It could be copywriting, web design, article writing, customer service, whatever.

Your title should reflect that one skill.

Bad Title: Copywriting, blog writer, ebook writer, social media expert

Good Title: Conversion Copywriter

Your overview should back up your ability to do that skill.

Bad Bio:

Hi there! You need a conversion copywriter who can help you get results. You need someone with fast turnaround and quik response. You want to get better goals and get to the next level and that's what I can help you do.

Good Bio:

Hi there!

I'm a conversion copywriter with a B.A. in Psychology and four years experience. I've worked with companies like Eggland's Best, and Circuit City. As a copywriter I've helped clients grow their profits from the thousands into the millions.

I've trained as a copywriter in several courses and online workshops, and I work with clients who need direct-response copywriting that gets results. My goal is to help clients improve conversions by working closely together with them and creating value.

If any of that is what you need, message me!

Kind Regards,
Lex DeVille

OVERVIEW TEMPLATE:

Hi there!

I’m a [what are you] with a [degree or diploma] and [years of experience]. I’ve worked with [who can you name?]. As a [skill you do] I’ve helped [who you have helped] [how you have helped them].

I have [special training you have] and I work with [who you help]. My goal is to help [describe how you will help clients on Upwork].

If any of that is what you need, contact me!

Kind Regards,
[Your Name]

---

Your bio should be ME Focused. DO talk about your skills and education. Do talk about past clients you've worked with and how you've helped. You want to show Upwork that you are a credible freelancer who can get the job done right.

Be sure to spell check your overview. Check it for grammar as well. Spelling mistakes are a quick way to get rejected.

Don't talk about what you want. Don't use a YOU Focused overview either because that isn't what Upwork wants from you. They want you to look like a traditional employee and a hard worker.

---

Education and Work History

Add something to each of these sections, even if it's a high school diploma or even a GED. Add something to your work history even if you worked at McDonalds. First write it in the title, then give yourself a relevant title.

For education, write a description that supports your ability to do the skill you choose. For example:

B.A. Psychology
As a student of Psychology I have learned to craft conversion-optimized copy infused with psychological techniques and tactics. This helps me move people to action and get them to make decisions fast which helps my clients earn money and get results.

McDonalds Customer Communications Specialist
Working at McDonalds taught me the power of clarity in human communications. Over the last four years I've used what I learned while working at McDonalds to transition into the field of conversion copywriting where I applied the same techniques used to sell McGriddles and Apple Turnovers to get my clients results.

---

Rates
The next part is your rates. Set your rates within the guidelines provided by Upwork. They will tell you the range you should be within. For instance, the rates for an Intermediate level freelancer are suggested as between:

$28.00 and $65.50

So pick something within that range. Something like $35.50.

---

Skill Tags
Be sure all of your skill tags support your skill. If I listed "Conversion Copywriter" then I would want to pick 3-5 skill tags such as:

Bad: Copywriter, SEO, Social Media, Customer Service
Good: Copywriter, Conversion Copywriter, Sales Copywriter, Creative Copywriter

---

Other Notes:

Your main goal is to create a WHOLE PERSON concept for Upwork. When Upwork's algorithms or employees see your profile, it should scream I AM A COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL IN THIS SPECIFIC SKILL!

Upwork isn't looking for Jacks-of-all-trades.

They want people who will get in, get work, get 'er done, and get paid. Because people who can't get work and don't get paid are just freeloaders taking up space on their platform. Remember, Upwork needs you to make money so they make money.

So your job is to show them that you are the kind of person who can do one specific skill, and to prove you can do that skill well.

Beyond that, just be honest. Don't try to lie or fake your account. Don't use fake information. Upwork may ask you to verify your identity or other info later on.

If you do shady things, you will likely get rejected. So just be honest, do your best to give them what they want, and if you have questions, reach out.

If you get rejected...

Don't immediately try again. Wait a few days. Give it some time. You don't want to appear to be a spammer. So give it one or two days, and then try again with a new profile, a new skill, a new overview etc.

HOMEWORK
Your homework today is to create your Upwork account following the guidance in this post. Create your account and submit it for approval. Then report back and let us know how it went or if you have any trouble. Do this now!
good i created my upwork using your guidelines

Zoobs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 18, 2021
Day 1: How to Get Approved on Upwork 2019

The best way to get approved on Upwork is to make it happen on your first try. That isn't to say all hope is lost if you don't get it on your first try. Only that your first try is the best chance you've got. After that your chances drop.

Today's guide is based on it being your first try. The idea is to give you the best possible chance to get approved. Do NOT try to get approved before reading this post or watching the video.

To get approved on Upwork you have to give them what they want.

Here's all the stuff NOT to do:

• Do NOT list more than one skill in your title
  • Do NOT pick unrelated skill tags
  • Do NOT use a YOU Focused bio
  • Do NOT leave your education and work history blank
  • Do NOT leave any area blank
  • Do NOT price yourself outside of Upwork's suggested ranges
  • Do NOT submit your profile before you spell check it
Those are the main things that I've seen get people rejected.

Now let's talk about what you SHOULD do.

• Add a clear, smiling, front-facing head shot image
  • Pick ONE skill and build your profile around that skill
  • Pick a NICHE of that skill to show you're a professional
  • Write your bio to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your education to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your employment history to support your abilities with that skill

Basically you want to build your entire profile around a single niche skill. It doesn't matter what industry it is in. It could be copywriting, web design, article writing, customer service, whatever.

Your title should reflect that one skill.

Bad Title: Copywriting, blog writer, ebook writer, social media expert

Good Title: Conversion Copywriter

Your overview should back up your ability to do that skill.

Bad Bio:

Hi there! You need a conversion copywriter who can help you get results. You need someone with fast turnaround and quik response. You want to get better goals and get to the next level and that's what I can help you do.

Good Bio:

Hi there!

I'm a conversion copywriter with a B.A. in Psychology and four years experience. I've worked with companies like Eggland's Best, and Circuit City. As a copywriter I've helped clients grow their profits from the thousands into the millions.

I've trained as a copywriter in several courses and online workshops, and I work with clients who need direct-response copywriting that gets results. My goal is to help clients improve conversions by working closely together with them and creating value.

If any of that is what you need, message me!

Kind Regards,
Lex DeVille

OVERVIEW TEMPLATE:

Hi there!

I’m a [what are you] with a [degree or diploma] and [years of experience]. I’ve worked with [who can you name?]. As a [skill you do] I’ve helped [who you have helped] [how you have helped them].

I have [special training you have] and I work with [who you help]. My goal is to help [describe how you will help clients on Upwork].

If any of that is what you need, contact me!

Kind Regards,
[Your Name]

---

Your bio should be ME Focused. DO talk about your skills and education. Do talk about past clients you've worked with and how you've helped. You want to show Upwork that you are a credible freelancer who can get the job done right.

Be sure to spell check your overview. Check it for grammar as well. Spelling mistakes are a quick way to get rejected.

Don't talk about what you want. Don't use a YOU Focused overview either because that isn't what Upwork wants from you. They want you to look like a traditional employee and a hard worker.

---

Education and Work History

Add something to each of these sections, even if it's a high school diploma or even a GED. Add something to your work history even if you worked at McDonalds. First write it in the title, then give yourself a relevant title.

For education, write a description that supports your ability to do the skill you choose. For example:

B.A. Psychology
As a student of Psychology I have learned to craft conversion-optimized copy infused with psychological techniques and tactics. This helps me move people to action and get them to make decisions fast which helps my clients earn money and get results.

McDonalds Customer Communications Specialist
Working at McDonalds taught me the power of clarity in human communications. Over the last four years I've used what I learned while working at McDonalds to transition into the field of conversion copywriting where I applied the same techniques used to sell McGriddles and Apple Turnovers to get my clients results.

---

Rates
The next part is your rates. Set your rates within the guidelines provided by Upwork. They will tell you the range you should be within. For instance, the rates for an Intermediate level freelancer are suggested as between:

$28.00 and $65.50

So pick something within that range. Something like $35.50.

---

Skill Tags
Be sure all of your skill tags support your skill. If I listed "Conversion Copywriter" then I would want to pick 3-5 skill tags such as:

Bad: Copywriter, SEO, Social Media, Customer Service
Good: Copywriter, Conversion Copywriter, Sales Copywriter, Creative Copywriter

---

Other Notes:

Your main goal is to create a WHOLE PERSON concept for Upwork. When Upwork's algorithms or employees see your profile, it should scream I AM A COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL IN THIS SPECIFIC SKILL!

Upwork isn't looking for Jacks-of-all-trades.

They want people who will get in, get work, get 'er done, and get paid. Because people who can't get work and don't get paid are just freeloaders taking up space on their platform. Remember, Upwork needs you to make money so they make money.

So your job is to show them that you are the kind of person who can do one specific skill, and to prove you can do that skill well.

Beyond that, just be honest. Don't try to lie or fake your account. Don't use fake information. Upwork may ask you to verify your identity or other info later on.

If you do shady things, you will likely get rejected. So just be honest, do your best to give them what they want, and if you have questions, reach out.

If you get rejected...

Don't immediately try again. Wait a few days. Give it some time. You don't want to appear to be a spammer. So give it one or two days, and then try again with a new profile, a new skill, a new overview etc.

HOMEWORK
Your homework today is to create your Upwork account following the guidance in this post. Create your account and submit it for approval. Then report back and let us know how it went or if you have any trouble. Do this now!

Thank you @Lex DeVille for this invaluable thread.

I have just discovered an Upwork account I had from about 8 years ago, never used it but it still exists so feel pretty lucky to have that part taken care of!

Lets get it

bublav

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 16, 2018
Thanks Lex for this very helpful thread. I was with Odesk way back in 2005. Was able to log around 4000 hrs with the platform. Back then, I was offering SEO/SEM services. Then I got back to working in the real world in an IT-related position from 2010 to 2021. So, I lied low in Odesk. Now I had this FTE moment early this year. My boss was such a pain in the a$$. So I took my early retirement and had nothing more to do. With Lex's tips, I reformatted my profile/bio, etc. and I am ready to offer a very specific service to eCommerce owners. I will update this thread once I close some deals.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks Lex for this very helpful thread. I was with Odesk way back in 2005. Was able to log around 4000 hrs with the platform. Back then, I was offering SEO/SEM services. Then I got back to working in the real world in an IT-related position from 2010 to 2021. So, I lied low in Odesk. Now I had this FTE moment early this year. My boss was such a pain in the a$$. So I took my early retirement and had nothing more to do. With Lex's tips, I reformatted my profile/bio, etc. and I am ready to offer a very specific service to eCommerce owners. I will update this thread once I close some deals.

I hope you will start a progress thread. Your journey might be helpful for others who come along. :)

bublav

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 16, 2018
Hi Lex,

Yes, I will take your advice regarding this soon. I am just on vacation now. When I get back next week, I will start my thread.

I am focusing on a certain niche offering a lucrative service to ecommerce brands through email marketing. I was inspired by Champion's thread here: WEB SCHOOL - E-Mail Marketing Agency (Not Webdesign, but same Principles apply).

BTW, I was looking for your Udemy Upwork courses, specifically the courses on profile creation and submission of proposals. Can't find them anymore. Have you taken them offline? Or you are offering these courses somewhere else.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi Lex,

Yes, I will take your advice regarding this soon. I am just on vacation now. When I get back next week, I will start my thread.

I am focusing on a certain niche offering a lucrative service to ecommerce brands through email marketing. I was inspired by Champion's thread here: WEB SCHOOL - E-Mail Marketing Agency (Not Webdesign, but same Principles apply).

BTW, I was looking for your Udemy Upwork courses, specifically the courses on profile creation and submission of proposals. Can't find them anymore. Have you taken them offline? Or you are offering these courses somewhere else.

All of my legacy Udemy courses as well as my new courses are being hosted through my own website. You can read about that here:

One of the next two courses I'm adding to the platform is a new Upwork profiles course since a lot of things have changed since I created the original one.

Tyrant

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Aug 2, 2020
Norway
1. Why are you doing this?

I'm doing this to earn extra money and learning multiple high value skills. From client onboarding to client fulfillment and problem solving skills .

2. Describe your endgame in specific detail..

My endgame with Upwork is to use the skills and money I've earned to invest into my own agency. That will move clients from Upwork to become my own agency clients

3. How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?

2k steady cash flow per month

4. Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?

I am failing the present version of myself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.