The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

William Ainslie

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 13, 2016
South Africa

Upwork is one of the fastest ways to get your feet wet with online business. You probably won't get rich on Upwork (though it's not impossible), and that isn't the purpose of this guide. This multi-post guide is an Upwork Tutorial for those who:

• Need to get moving on something...ANYTHING
  • Need a way to bootstrap cash...FOR FREE

It doesn't matter where you're from or what your situation is. If you have semi-stable internet and a computer to work from, then you can make money on Upwork at no cost to you but your time.

In the posts that follow I will share a series of Upwork Tutorials to get you started even if you don't know what the f*ck you're doing, and even if you don't have any skills or experience right now. This step-by-step guide will give you a clear path from $0 to your first $1,000 or more on Upwork.

If you follow my posts and do as I say, you will make money...

Possibly this week.

However, you should know that your success here requires a difficult mindset shift. You will have to change how you do things. Employees do NOT make good freelancers. So here are some things you should know right now:

• You can take your 20 year work history and light it on fire
  • Tuck your college degrees away on some shelf
  • Tear that entitled victim attitude to shreds because...

Freelance clients don't give a shit about your education and experience unless it backs up your ability to get the job done. Also, nobody owes you anything. In the freelance world, you rise to your own level based on how much you help people, and on how clearly you demonstrate that you can help people.

Also... I'm developing a corresponding tutorial for my YouTube channel, and as such will be posting videos related to each post topic. You can watch them or not. You do not have to watch them to get the information because I will also post it in text here.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Each day I will walk you through one piece of the Upwork puzzle. Step-by-step I will guide you to get approved on Upwork, get started, and make money. At the end of each post you will find a homework assignment.

Do the homework each day.

I would encourage you to share your progress and results either here, on my channel, or both since it will encourage engagement that will send traffic to the Fastlane Forum (each video links to the forum), and to my channel which is valuable for M.J. and for myself and also promotes future comprehensive tutorials such as this one, which is valuable for you.

SET OFF AT SUNRISE TO GET THERE BY DARK

There's only one way this thread won't become another action-faking, analysis paralysis knowledge feast for you. To make anything useful happen, you will have to take MASSIVE action and get started. You will have to stop telling yourself every silly excuse. Stop being afraid. Don't let phantoms of fantasy futures destroy your dreams.

Action is the only way.

So start today. Right now. Make a commitment. Commit to do this. Commit to act and to get started. You will start this today. You will take your first step now. And that first step is to determine WHY you are doing this. What do you want to come of this? To do that, your first homework is physically to answer all of the following questions:

1. Why are you doing this?
  2. Describe your endgame in specific detail...
  3. How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
  4. Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?

It's important to know WHY you are doing this. You can't be vague about it. "I want to be a highly paid freelancer who creates value" is not a good response for your "why."

You are doing this because you need to pay bills or debt. Because you want to quit your shitty job. Because you need money for your ecommerce business. Because you want to travel and earn money from anywhere. Because you want to support your family. Because you want to earn full-time pay with part-time work from home.

You are trying to escape something (bad job, bad boss, debt, poverty, feeling like a loser). You desire some kind of change (travel, money, freedom, skills, to get started). You are selfish and you want things in life and THAT IS OKAY.

But you need to define those things. The things you want. The things you don't want. Because it is those things that will help remind you why you set off down this path in the first place, especially when there's nothing but miles and miles of bumpy road ahead.

That is your homework today.

Do the homework. Post your response. In the next post I will teach you how to give yourself the best possible chance to get approved on Upwork. As of 2019, getting approved on Upwork is probably the single biggest barrier to entry for new freelancers.

Lucky for you, you're not a freelancer. You're an entrepreneur, and you have me as your guide. So follow this Upwork Tutorial and commit to continue even when the long road makes you weary. If you do, you may discover the distance between sunrise and sunset isn't so far apart as it seems.

By the way...

This is the only mindset post.

Get your mind right now. In the days that follow, we've got work to do.

Thank you @Lex DeVille

I am completing Rob Percival's Complete Web development course.

Excited for the prospects applying the steps you describe on here - Learning a new skill set at 40 - YEAH!

Increasing my value

Hopefully Fastlane in next few years on top of this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ragnar_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
May 13, 2019
Florida
Why are you doing this?
  • In May of 2020, I am quitting my current job. My effort since I discovered this forum has been directed towards building enough money to be able to support myself while I devote my energy full time to entrepreneurship. Whether it’s dropping my expensive girlfriend, not going out and blowing $60 bucks at bars on the weekends, and ensuring I have no freedom suckers (new car, newest phone, etc.).
  • I will need income to stretch my money further, so that I’m not right back where I started.
  • In order to stop thinking and start acting!
Describe your endgame in specific detail…
  • Get to a point where I earn enough money to supplement my current savings. Without any need to go do other work. I will more than likely quit doing freelancing when I have something worth devoting my whole attention to, i.e. my business is generating income.
How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
  • I need to earn enough money to cover rent in whatever city I land in ($750/month).
Who are you failing if you give up or don’t succeed?
  • I would be failing myself and the vision I have for myself. I am not going to spend the rest of my life making someone else rich.

Walter.LV

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 21, 2018
Latvia
Hello guys and gals, I've been trying to get on Upwork for a while now, and have been rejected five times.

The first two times, I did everything as outlined in the @Lex DeVille outline.

I was trying to get approved for "Facebook performance/direct response marketer" and "Conversion Copywriter for Digital Marketing Funnels."

I did the overview as close as I could to the template, filled out my job history, etc.

Then I found a few youtube videos where guys would get approved instantly by using mobile app developer and ios developer with nothing else but the title and two skills.

The trick didn't work for me though. :(

Then I found that Upwork releases their fastest-growing skills index here:

I figured that I should build my profile around #3 - Landing pages because I've built a few lead gen pages in the past on tools like Clickfunnles and Leadpages.

I researched the "niche" and found other marketers who are ranking for landing page design & funnels.

I tried to model the best performing freelancers (by billed hours and overall $ earned) and built my profile similarly to theirs, yet still got rejected.

I've already found a few jobs that could be a good fit for the skills I have:

*I've managed 18k euro monthly ad spend on Facebook (profitably), so I could apply for Facebook media buyer jobs and PPC jobs;

*I've written copy for Facebook ads, lead gen landing pages, phone call sales scripts, a few lead magnet PDFs, 5-day email sequences, and blog posts - so I'd like to apply for copywriting gigs (especially in the health market ((I have a B.A. in physical therapy);

*I've designed landing pages for 7 sales funnels on Clickfunnels and other landing page builders - so I could apply for landing page design jobs.

*I've also helped a few of my clients with market research and go-to-market strategy and funnel strategy - so I could apply for a marketing strategy VA jobs.

These are the 4 main categories of jobs I have experience in and would like to apply for. From my research, I've found that there are plenty of marketing jobs on the platform. The problem, though, is that first I need to get approved by Upwork.

So - could anyone more experienced with how Upwork works take a look at my profile and help me figure out how I could get approved?

Here's the link to my profile:

I researched that Upwork has "bring your own freelancer" program where clients can Invite freelancers who're not on their platform - these freelancers get approved instantly.

I'd even be willing to do a free project for the types of jobs listed above for someone to just invite me, so I could get approved.

I know why I'm doing this (I need to make at least $1000/monthly and I want to build up my skills before I launch a scalable business), and I'm confident that my skills are good enough to start.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
A couple things that may affect your chances:

1. Title is too long and too broad.
2. Try targeting an industry in your title such as "Dental Landing Page Designer"
3. Adjust your rates to something lower in the $10 - $20 range.
4. Add description to your education to show what makes it relevant to your skill.
5. Get rid of all of those extra words like "Ubounce" and "Clickfunnels" in your title.

Those are the main things to play with. Beyond that I'd keep trying different skills. If you still don't get approved, then it may be time to check out People Per Hour or one of the other up and coming freelance platforms. I've listed more than 100 of them here.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
I can't get any work since being off Upwork for a few years which cause my success score to drop. I followed your original Upwork/Copywriting guide @Lex DeVille and had some good success with Upwork in 2016/2017. But got off the platform in 2018 and 2019. I come back and see my success score is 70% even though all my clients gave me great 5 star reviews. I contacted Upwork and they told me that my success score decreased because I didn't have any repeat gigs with my last clients before getting off the platform. So I don't know what to do now because I must have submitted 50+ gigs and gotten nothing out of it. Should I delete my Upwork profile and start over? I don't see how else I can fix my success score if I'm not getting any jobs which is being caused by the bad success score.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I can't get any work since being off Upwork for a few years which cause my success score to drop. I followed your original Upwork/Copywriting guide @Lex DeVille and had some good success with Upwork in 2016/2017. But got off the platform in 2018 and 2019. I come back and see my success score is 70% even though all my clients gave me great 5 star reviews. I contacted Upwork and they told me that my success score decreased because I didn't have any repeat gigs with my last clients before getting off the platform. So I don't know what to do now because I must have submitted 50+ gigs and gotten nothing out of it. Should I delete my Upwork profile and start over? I don't see how else I can fix my success score if I'm not getting any jobs which is being caused by the bad success score.

Chances are your success score is not the reason you don't get responses. My success score dropped low once. I didn't blame the score for not getting responses. I applied to different kinds of gigs with offers too good to refuse until something worked. But I've also deleted my account and built it back up from scratch. So technically both paths work, but neither will if your mind's not in the right place.

I don't know what you should do. If you keep your account, you may not figure out how to solve your problem so you won't make money on Upwork. If you delete your account, you may not get approved on the platform again. Right now you're *in* but you don't like your circumstances. But are your circumstances bad enough to be worth the risk of not ever getting back in? You have to decide that.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
Poor Upwork portfolios lead to poor results. This is one of the biggest missed opportunities most freelancers make. Not only is your portfolio a chance to establish credibility and authority, when done right it helps you rank for SEO so you show up higher in search results. So spend some time on this, but NOT TOO MUCH TIME! If you're just getting started, get at least one page of portfolio pieces done and loaded in. Even if they're not your best work, it's better than nothing.

I should really stop dicking around on my own and just read your damn threads, honestly lol... I'm glad you exist, sir.

I got rejected from Upwork last week (skill was saturated), but then was instantly accepted to PeoplePerHour as a conversion copywriter (I've read Ca$hvertising, therefore I'm an expert). Would it be worth it to try for Upwork, or just keep trying to get something going on PPH?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I should really stop dicking around on my own and just read your damn threads, honestly lol... I'm glad you exist, sir.

I got rejected from Upwork last week (skill was saturated), but then was instantly accepted to PeoplePerHour as a conversion copywriter (I've read Ca$hvertising, therefore I'm an expert). Would it be worth it to try for Upwork, or just keep trying to get something going on PPH?
Go for PPH and if you can find clients there,and get the cashflow going, why not?

And yeah, never hurts to try again for Upwork if you got the time.

bootstrapper

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Jan 26, 2020
United Kingdom
I just wanted to thank @Lex for this thread. I wanted to generate some extra cash flow in order to ramp up a new entrepreneurial venture, so I hit this Upwork thread hard. A few points

1. I already had a profile, but it was stale after not being used in a long time. With Lex's help, I was able to dust it off and rework the language to make my profile much more appealing.

2. I already have a decade of expertise doing financial models, business plans, etc. so I tried to leverage that skill, specifically targeting people who need high quality materials for banks, investors or other third parties.Customer who need this will understand that good materials mean the difference between success or not, so they are not trying to nickel and dime.

3. I started applying for jobs with "You" focused proposals. Frankly, i think that this is where I had fallen down before.Earlier, I had tried to IMPRESS potential employers with credentials or my previous portfolio...whereas now I just drill down to what they want, what I can do for them, and then a couple of intelligent questions that assume the sale. As an example, I always ask "Who's the audience?", as VCs want different things than a bank. Or I ask what they want to get out of the process.

4.Sometimes in the proposal I chip in a little bit of my experience where it's relevant, but more like "in my experience, you should do it this way..." and it's usually well received.

5. The thing about this kind of work is that people don't know what they don't know. Once you open up for them the world of good financials/reporting and good planning as a way to run the business, keep lenders/investors happy, then they are open to a bigger engagement. Sometimes they ask for helping getting in front of investors. Either way, there is a much higher potential wallet than what's indiciated on Upwork.

6. Results so far in January:
- Paid $18 for a membership with a healthy budget for connects
- Sent out 10 proposals.
- Got interviews from 3 of those.
- Got invited to interview for 2 roles. This never happened before on Upwork.
- Was hired for a $200 job, but had to turn it down due to conflict of interest (I have an ownership stake in their main competitor!)
- Was hired and am working now on a $2000 job, with several milestone payments along the way.
- Was hried for a $1300 job, which will recur every month.

7. While the $2000 job is a longer burn of 1-2 months before completion, I definitely feel like I'm on the right track and that this can turn into a good income stream outside of the day job. Moreover, I can deliver these results without too much additional work per week.
With the Lex approach, the good jobs feel more like a meeting of minds, as opposed to something that I had to grind out in competition with every one from India.

In short, thanks @Lex thanks everyone on this thread and here's to a good 2020!

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't spoken much here about it but I also took one of @Lex DeVille courses. Mind you, I have no background in copy, freelance work, or any sort of writing beyond school. Taking the course and a few back and forth conversations with Lex, I set up my profile and have been hired for 4 projects. Literally accepted one invitation earlier today. Not making big bucks, a little over $200, but that's $200 more than what I started out with. I am talking about low quality, little to no research writing. Mere words for decent rates. I'm kinda excited about it.

Any excuse to pull up to a local coffee shop, plug my laptop, and earn money is okay in my book.

George Costanza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Feb 18, 2019
Israel
Why are you doing this?
I think it's a nice start for some experience working with clients, and earning money online for the first time.
Describe your endgame in specific detail:
Get to a point I will quit my part time job, and be able to travel while earning money (enough to cover the trip and then some).

I am not sure exactly, I'd even be happy with 500$/month for the first few months.
If I can get to 1000-1500$ a month while still having a chunk of time to work on other things, I'd be very happy.

Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?
Myself.

Ragnar_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
May 13, 2019
Florida
Why are you doing this?
  • In May of 2020, I am quitting my current job. My effort since I discovered this forum has been directed towards building enough money to be able to support myself while I devote my energy full time to entrepreneurship. Whether it’s dropping my expensive girlfriend, not going out and blowing $60 bucks at bars on the weekends, and ensuring I have no freedom suckers (new car, newest phone, etc.).
  • I will need income to stretch my money further, so that I’m not right back where I started.
  • In order to stop thinking and start acting!
Describe your endgame in specific detail…
  • Get to a point where I earn enough money to supplement my current savings. Without any need to go do other work. I will more than likely quit doing freelancing when I have something worth devoting my whole attention to, i.e. my business is generating income.
  • I need to earn enough money to cover rent in whatever city I land in ($750/month).
Who are you failing if you give up or don’t succeed?
  • I would be failing myself and the vision I have for myself. I am not going to spend the rest of my life making someone else rich.
Successfully approved on my first try.

Submitting proposals that I know I can be successful on to get started. @Lex DeVille you're the man, appreciate the guidance so far!

College Dropout

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Day 0 .... here we go.

Why are you doing this?
I'd like to be able to prove to myself that I'm capable of producing something valuable enough for someone to benefit from it. I want to eventually become unscripted ... but it's also mostly a self esteem thing. I don't think I'll end up being a copywriter forever... but it does seem like a ton of fun!

Describe your endgame in specific detail.
I'm hoping to induce a life-long positive feedback loop centered helping people... that starts with learning copy writing and ends with a productocracy.

I'd like to be able to make $250/week... but we'll start with $1.

Max Yeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2017
Malaysia

Upwork is one of the fastest ways to get your feet wet with online business. You probably won't get rich on Upwork (though it's not impossible), and that isn't the purpose of this guide. This multi-post guide is an Upwork Tutorial for those who:

• Need to get moving on something...ANYTHING
  • Need a way to bootstrap cash...FOR FREE

It doesn't matter where you're from or what your situation is. If you have semi-stable internet and a computer to work from, then you can make money on Upwork at no cost to you but your time.

In the posts that follow I will share a series of Upwork Tutorials to get you started even if you don't know what the f*ck you're doing, and even if you don't have any skills or experience right now. This step-by-step guide will give you a clear path from $0 to your first $1,000 or more on Upwork.

If you follow my posts and do as I say, you will make money...

Possibly this week.

However, you should know that your success here requires a difficult mindset shift. You will have to change how you do things. Employees do NOT make good freelancers. So here are some things you should know right now:

• You can take your 20 year work history and light it on fire
  • Tuck your college degrees away on some shelf
  • Tear that entitled victim attitude to shreds because...

Freelance clients don't give a shit about your education and experience unless it backs up your ability to get the job done. Also, nobody owes you anything. In the freelance world, you rise to your own level based on how much you help people, and on how clearly you demonstrate that you can help people.

Also... I'm developing a corresponding tutorial for my YouTube channel, and as such will be posting videos related to each post topic. You can watch them or not. You do not have to watch them to get the information because I will also post it in text here.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Each day I will walk you through one piece of the Upwork puzzle. Step-by-step I will guide you to get approved on Upwork, get started, and make money. At the end of each post you will find a homework assignment.

Do the homework each day.

I would encourage you to share your progress and results either here, on my channel, or both since it will encourage engagement that will send traffic to the Fastlane Forum (each video links to the forum), and to my channel which is valuable for M.J. and for myself and also promotes future comprehensive tutorials such as this one, which is valuable for you.

SET OFF AT SUNRISE TO GET THERE BY DARK

There's only one way this thread won't become another action-faking, analysis paralysis knowledge feast for you. To make anything useful happen, you will have to take MASSIVE action and get started. You will have to stop telling yourself every silly excuse. Stop being afraid. Don't let phantoms of fantasy futures destroy your dreams.

Action is the only way.

So start today. Right now. Make a commitment. Commit to do this. Commit to act and to get started. You will start this today. You will take your first step now. And that first step is to determine WHY you are doing this. What do you want to come of this? To do that, your first homework is physically to answer all of the following questions:

1. Why are you doing this?
  2. Describe your endgame in specific detail...
  3. How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
  4. Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?

It's important to know WHY you are doing this. You can't be vague about it. "I want to be a highly paid freelancer who creates value" is not a good response for your "why."

You are doing this because you need to pay bills or debt. Because you want to quit your shitty job. Because you need money for your ecommerce business. Because you want to travel and earn money from anywhere. Because you want to support your family. Because you want to earn full-time pay with part-time work from home.

You are trying to escape something (bad job, bad boss, debt, poverty, feeling like a loser). You desire some kind of change (travel, money, freedom, skills, to get started). You are selfish and you want things in life and THAT IS OKAY.

But you need to define those things. The things you want. The things you don't want. Because it is those things that will help remind you why you set off down this path in the first place, especially when there's nothing but miles and miles of bumpy road ahead.

That is your homework today.

Do the homework. Post your response. In the next post I will teach you how to give yourself the best possible chance to get approved on Upwork. As of 2019, getting approved on Upwork is probably the single biggest barrier to entry for new freelancers.

Lucky for you, you're not a freelancer. You're an entrepreneur, and you have me as your guide. So follow this Upwork Tutorial and commit to continue even when the long road makes you weary. If you do, you may discover the distance between sunrise and sunset isn't so far apart as it seems.

By the way...

This is the only mindset post.

Get your mind right now. In the days that follow, we've got work to do.
Why are you doing this?
  • Because I wanna have backup plan for myself just in case this MCO extends. On top of that, I also wanna earn some supplement income so that I can save more. I wanna feel richer.
Describe your endgame in specific detail...
  • Making another RM1500 every month, and buy a property.
  • RM1500 every month
Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?
  • I'd fail myself, my gf, my family

Max Yeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2017
Malaysia
Day 1: How to Get Approved on Upwork 2019

The best way to get approved on Upwork is to make it happen on your first try. That isn't to say all hope is lost if you don't get it on your first try. Only that your first try is the best chance you've got. After that your chances drop.

Today's guide is based on it being your first try. The idea is to give you the best possible chance to get approved. Do NOT try to get approved before reading this post or watching the video.

To get approved on Upwork you have to give them what they want.

Here's all the stuff NOT to do:

• Do NOT list more than one skill in your title
  • Do NOT pick unrelated skill tags
  • Do NOT use a YOU Focused bio
  • Do NOT leave your education and work history blank
  • Do NOT leave any area blank
  • Do NOT price yourself outside of Upwork's suggested ranges
  • Do NOT submit your profile before you spell check it
Those are the main things that I've seen get people rejected.

Now let's talk about what you SHOULD do.

• Add a clear, smiling, front-facing head shot image
  • Pick ONE skill and build your profile around that skill
  • Pick a NICHE of that skill to show you're a professional
  • Write your bio to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your education to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your employment history to support your abilities with that skill

Basically you want to build your entire profile around a single niche skill. It doesn't matter what industry it is in. It could be copywriting, web design, article writing, customer service, whatever.

Your title should reflect that one skill.

Bad Title: Copywriting, blog writer, ebook writer, social media expert

Good Title: Conversion Copywriter

Your overview should back up your ability to do that skill.

Bad Bio:

Hi there! You need a conversion copywriter who can help you get results. You need someone with fast turnaround and quik response. You want to get better goals and get to the next level and that's what I can help you do.

Good Bio:

Hi there!

I'm a conversion copywriter with a B.A. in Psychology and four years experience. I've worked with companies like Eggland's Best, and Circuit City. As a copywriter I've helped clients grow their profits from the thousands into the millions.

I've trained as a copywriter in several courses and online workshops, and I work with clients who need direct-response copywriting that gets results. My goal is to help clients improve conversions by working closely together with them and creating value.

If any of that is what you need, message me!

Kind Regards,
Lex DeVille

OVERVIEW TEMPLATE:

Hi there!

I’m a [what are you] with a [degree or diploma] and [years of experience]. I’ve worked with [who can you name?]. As a [skill you do] I’ve helped [who you have helped] [how you have helped them].

I have [special training you have] and I work with [who you help]. My goal is to help [describe how you will help clients on Upwork].

If any of that is what you need, contact me!

Kind Regards,
[Your Name]

---

Your bio should be ME Focused. DO talk about your skills and education. Do talk about past clients you've worked with and how you've helped. You want to show Upwork that you are a credible freelancer who can get the job done right.

Be sure to spell check your overview. Check it for grammar as well. Spelling mistakes are a quick way to get rejected.

Don't talk about what you want. Don't use a YOU Focused overview either because that isn't what Upwork wants from you. They want you to look like a traditional employee and a hard worker.

---

Education and Work History

Add something to each of these sections, even if it's a high school diploma or even a GED. Add something to your work history even if you worked at McDonalds. First write it in the title, then give yourself a relevant title.

For education, write a description that supports your ability to do the skill you choose. For example:

B.A. Psychology
As a student of Psychology I have learned to craft conversion-optimized copy infused with psychological techniques and tactics. This helps me move people to action and get them to make decisions fast which helps my clients earn money and get results.

McDonalds Customer Communications Specialist
Working at McDonalds taught me the power of clarity in human communications. Over the last four years I've used what I learned while working at McDonalds to transition into the field of conversion copywriting where I applied the same techniques used to sell McGriddles and Apple Turnovers to get my clients results.

---

Rates
The next part is your rates. Set your rates within the guidelines provided by Upwork. They will tell you the range you should be within. For instance, the rates for an Intermediate level freelancer are suggested as between:

$28.00 and $65.50

So pick something within that range. Something like $35.50.

---

Skill Tags
Be sure all of your skill tags support your skill. If I listed "Conversion Copywriter" then I would want to pick 3-5 skill tags such as:

Bad: Copywriter, SEO, Social Media, Customer Service
Good: Copywriter, Conversion Copywriter, Sales Copywriter, Creative Copywriter

---

Other Notes:

Your main goal is to create a WHOLE PERSON concept for Upwork. When Upwork's algorithms or employees see your profile, it should scream I AM A COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL IN THIS SPECIFIC SKILL!

Upwork isn't looking for Jacks-of-all-trades.

They want people who will get in, get work, get 'er done, and get paid. Because people who can't get work and don't get paid are just freeloaders taking up space on their platform. Remember, Upwork needs you to make money so they make money.

So your job is to show them that you are the kind of person who can do one specific skill, and to prove you can do that skill well.

Beyond that, just be honest. Don't try to lie or fake your account. Don't use fake information. Upwork may ask you to verify your identity or other info later on.

If you do shady things, you will likely get rejected. So just be honest, do your best to give them what they want, and if you have questions, reach out.

If you get rejected...

Don't immediately try again. Wait a few days. Give it some time. You don't want to appear to be a spammer. So give it one or two days, and then try again with a new profile, a new skill, a new overview etc.

HOMEWORK
Your homework today is to create your Upwork account following the guidance in this post. Create your account and submit it for approval. Then report back and let us know how it went or if you have any trouble. Do this now!
Hey, thanks for the guide Lex. I think my account is somehow automatically approved immediately without having to wait for any review. By the way, is it really approved?:rofl:

Max Yeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2017
Malaysia
DAY 3 - How to Write Your Profile Title and Tags

Once you get approved on Upwork, one of the first things you want to do is update your title and tags, unless you plan to perform the skill you got approved with. So that's what today is about.

Your Title - Keep It Short and Don't Get Cute...

Do a quick search for most skills and you'll find endless lists of freelancers who either use some cutesy, long-winded title, or who list every skill under the sun because they're afraid to miss any opportunity.

The thing is, your title is your first chance to let people know your area of specialty. While you might get work in a variety of areas with a title that lists 20 skills, you won't get paid highly for any of them, and you won't get found for the highest-paying skills in search results.

When it comes to titles avoid:

- Cute, clever, and creative titles.
- Listing a bunch of skills

Your goal if you want to make high pay for less work is to look like a specialist, an expert. Experts get paid well. But what does an expert look like?

- They do a single skill very well
- They show up when people search for them

How clients search...

Client's don't search for "Web Design Ninja Wordpress Elite Plugin Maester."

They search for, "Web Designer"

Or "Copywriter"

Or "Social Media Manager"

Or "Virtual Assistant"

And when that turns out to be too vague, they search a second time but this time they make it more niche so they find specialized experts. So now they search for:

"Wordpress Web Designer"

"Direct Response Copywriter"

"Instagram Manager"

"Financial Virtual Assistant"

So it starts with the high level industry, then it gets niche because it's hard to decipher who knows there shit in the industry itself. Since we know clients search this way, we can take advantage of it by crafting a title that speaks directly to those search results.

Also, the more niche you go, the less people there are to compete against for search rank.

Look at this screenshot from my latest title update:

View attachment 24000

It took a couple of days, but I'm ranking for NLP Copywriter. I'm not in the first position yet, but it doesn't matter, because based ONLY on my title, clients will skip the other people.

They searched for "NLP Copywriting" and my profile shows "NLP Copywriting."

It's crystal clear I'm the one...

In fact, it's so clear, clients won't even look at the other profiles even though they claim the #1 and #2 spots. It's like how I could tell you to find as many red items as you can in the room. You can easily look around and pick out red items from all the other colors.

Same thing with your profile.

If you have the exact title the client is searching for, then you will stand out, and you will get clicked, and that means you're one step closer to an interview.

By the way, this goes for proposals too. Clients will notice a freelancer's proposal over others when it very closely relates to the skill the client is asking for.

How to Pick Your Upwork Profile Title

• Keep it 4 words or less
  • Mention the industry (copywriter, web designer, video producer, narrator)
  • Mention the niche (creative copywriter, wordpress web designer, YouTube Video Producer, Audiobook Narrator

Research Your Niche

Niching down will help you rise to the top of search results, but you'll want to do some research on your niche to make sure people are searching for it. What good is being at the top of search results if nobody is searching for the thing you offer?

Two Ways to Research Your Niche

1) Use Google's Keyword tool in Adwords to check out monthly search volume
2) Search for your title and see how many gigs are available (and the time between each gig's posting)

Both of these will help you get a feel for whether or not people want the skill you offer. If you find there's low volume, then consider another title.

Your Tags - Relevant/Related Not Scattered/Deflated

Your tags are under the SKILLS section.

Pick tags that are very closely related to your title. Make sure all of your tags are closely related to one another. This will make them relevant. The more relevant your tags are, the easier it is to rise in search results.

Even if you plan to offer more than one skill, ONLY target your tags to your title. Have a look at the tags I used to help rank my NLP Copywriter bio:

View attachment 24001

At first glance they might look separate, like they target unique skills. But all of the tags except one are related to COPYWRITING and the only one that is different is related to NLP. What this does is help Upwork's algorithms figure out what you do so they can put you in the right place.

So pick tags that are closely related and are relevant to your title.

That's it for today.

Tomorrow I'll show you how to write a basic bio that stands out from everyone else.

HOMEWORK
Your homework today is to determine your high level industry (copywriter, blogger, web designer) and then to research niches within that industry to find one that might be worth pursuing. Once you've done that, set your tags around the title you create and make sure the tags are closely related to one another.

P.S.

The video above talks about the same topic, but I also mentioned some stuff about specialized profiles and how they are affecting my results.
Is the title "Self-Help Copywriter" a good combination with these tags?

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_234032.jpg
    IMG_20200406_234032.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Hey, thanks for the guide Lex. I think my account is somehow automatically approved immediately without having to wait for any review. By the way, is it really approved?:rofl:
View attachment 31941
Looks like it is. Congrats!
You should also get an email notification on that as well.

If you can write copy for those mediums and want to aim for those, then, yeah, alright.

Some copywriters may choose to write exclusively for one/a few mediums only though i.e. email copywriters focus on email offers.

Max Yeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2017
Malaysia
Looks like it is. Congrats!
You should also get an email notification on that as well.

If you can write copy for those mediums and want to aim for those, then, yeah, alright.

Some copywriters may choose to write exclusively for one/a few mediums only though i.e. email copywriters focus on email offers.
Thanks for the feedback!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

It's good in the sense that it targets a niche. Once you build out your profile then you'll have a better idea of whether or not it draws invitations. But it's targeted enough to stand out from other people who apply to self-help gigs as a generalist.

Ragnar_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
May 13, 2019
Florida
@Lex DeVille Hi Lex, I'm running into a strange proposal and interview processes where they seems to want me to do the work "sample work" before I even sign an agreement with them. Concerned that I'm doing the work for them before I even get an official interview with them.

Have you run into anything like this? Where they're taking hours of my time developing something for them without any agreements and I haven't even had a chance to talk to them about the gig?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@Lex DeVille Hi Lex, I'm running into a strange proposal and interview processes where they seems to want me to do the work "sample work" before I even sign an agreement with them. Concerned that I'm doing the work for them before I even get an official interview with them.

Have you run into anything like this? Where they're taking hours of my time developing something for them without any agreements and I haven't even had a chance to talk to them about the gig?

Tell them if they want a sample then you want a deposit milestone funded and released. $100 up front and you'll send samples. If they're not willing to take a little risk then why should they expect that from you? I never send custom samples without a deposit. It's a test project to see if you both like working together. If not, then you lose a few hours of time and they lose $100 bucks and you both go your separate ways.

Max Yeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2017
Malaysia
Day 3 - How to Write Your Upwork Overview to
Stand Out and Get Noticed

Yesterday we covered your title and tags and before that we helped you get approved and set the stage for a positive mindset. Today we're digging into your Upwork Overview so you can stand out and get noticed even if you're brand new.

Despite what many people say, your overview is EXTREMELY important. YOU Focused Proposals (which we'll cover in an upcoming lesson) are also important, but you should know that every client who looks at your proposal will also check out your bio.

Beyond that, your bio is one of the first things clients see in Upwork search results. So if it looks like every other freelancer's bio, or if it looks worse, then you'll get skipped for sure.

But before we get into how to write a bio, let's look at how NOT to write a bio.

Avoid the following instant-death mistakes:

• NEVER start with the word "I" or "me" or "my"
  • NEVER start by talking about your education or degree
  • NEVER start by talking about your years of experience
  • NEVER start by talking about what you want
  • NEVER start by describing your passions...

All of those trigger a hazy glaze over client's eyes and they won't even see you. So avoid those mistakes unless you want to look just like every other boring, lame, self-focused freelancer on the planet!

What is important in your overview?

• To let clients know they're in the right place
  • To let clients know you have the right skills
  • To show clients you care about them
  • To make it clear you operate as a professional
  • To establish credibility
  • To describe their pains and problems clearly
  • To set ground rules and expectations
  • To give them an action to take
  • To give them a peek at the kind of person you are
  • To answer their questions

All of these will help you stand out and get noticed, and the more of them you add, the better off your overview will be.

Okay, but what do you actually say?

Below we'll work through a sample bio so you can see what goes where. Hopefully this will give you a sense of structure in case you struggle with this. First we'll look at a full example, then I'll break it down to explain each piece.

---

Dental Web Designer

Do you need help with dental web design? Are you a dentist short on time losing clients to competitors with modern, mobile-friendly sites? If so, you're in the right place!

Hi there!

I'm Lex DeVille, a Wordpress Web Designer who helps dental businesses overhaul your website for a modern, mobile-friendly look that helps you attract more customers. I've built websites for more than 10 dental clients and helped them to:

- Instantly rank higher on Google search results
- Earn new clients almost instantly
- Look as professional as the services you offer

When you work with me you'll get clear communications, and fast turnaround. First I'll design a mock-up framework, and once you approve it we'll go forward into full production. In the end you'll come away with a sales-optimized, mobile-friendly website!

Respectfully,
Lex DeVille

P.S. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed and I'm happy to make revisions so your website works for you!

F.A.Q.

Q - Can you create a contact form for my website?
A - Yes, contact forms are one of my specialties, and I can even design it so it looks really need and is fun for your customers so they want to get in touch.

Q - Can you add a way to sell merchandise?
A - Yes, for an additional small investment I can build an ecommerce system directly into your website so you can easily sell your products and wares.

---

Alright, now let's break this thing down...

Do you need help with web design? Are you a dentist short on time losing clients to competitors with modern, mobile-friendly sites? If so, you're in the right place!

This is about how much shows up in search results. See the screenshot below for reference:

View attachment 24010

What your first paragraph should do is:

• Get the client's attention
  • Talk about them before yourself
  • Show you do the exact thing they need
  • Target them directly
  • Touch upon their pain
  • Let them know they're in the right place

When I ask if they need help with dental web design, I'm directly stating that I do the exact thing they searched for. Since I asked a question, the reader is engaged. Since I said "you" I have their attention.

The second sentence gets even more targeted. If they're a dentist, then it's quickly becoming extremely clear that I'm someone who can help them. If you wanted to capture others, you could also state, "Are you a dental professional?" That way your question would also apply to their office staff.

When I mention them being short on time and losing clients to competitors I'm reminding them why they can't do this on their own, and how it's hurting them. After that I describe the outcome they want and let them know that's what this is.

---

Hi there!

I'm Lex DeVille, a Wordpress Web Designer who helps dental businesses overhaul your website for a modern, mobile-friendly look that helps you attract more customers. I've built websites for more than 10 dental clients and helped them to:

- Instantly rank higher on Google search results
- Earn new clients almost instantly
- Look as professional as the services you offer

Once you've targeted your audience, spoke directly to them, addressed their problem, and agitated their pain, NOW it is okay to talk about yourself.

Start with a greeting.

It mentally prepares the client to shift from talking about their problems to describing how you can help. We're creating a bridge for them to cross between the problem they have and the solution you will offer.

Connect yourself to their problem.

After your greeting you want to connect yourself as the solution to their problem. So introduce yourself, and describe yourself as a [whatever service they need]. Then describe how you help people exactly like them to get similar outcomes to what they want.

Add credibility to establish authority.

When I mention helping 10 dental clients I'm throwing out a number that says "I'm credible." You could also name big dental clients you've worked with, or mention how much sales increased for other clients after getting your help. All of this builds you up as an authority and a professional.

Alternatively, you could also mention your degree or experience IF you can show how they back up your ability to solve the client's problem.

Examples of credibility:

• Increased sales by $1,500 in one day
  • Helped 3 dental clients to rank 1st on Google
  • Worked with Dental Depot, a Fortune 500 Company
  • Bachelor's Degree in Modern Web Design Concepts
  • Built 20 dental websites in the last year
  • Built a website for the dentist who cleans Kim Kardashian's teeth

Use bullet points to describe positive outcomes.

The final part of this section is bullets. These bullets are a chance to describe the outcomes the client wants. You may not know which one is most important to them. By describing several outcomes (3 to 5) you have a chance to say exactly what they need/want to hear before they act.

It's kind of like offering a child a new toy, an ice cream cone, and a video game if they clean their room. You may not know what's most important to them, but one of those 3 will probably get their attention, and getting all 3 is definitely worth the effort to pick up their bedroom!

---

When you work with me you'll get clear communications, and fast turnaround. First I'll design a mock-up framework, and once you approve it we'll go forward into full production. In the end you'll come away with a sales-optimized, mobile-friendly website!

Set expectations and overcome simple objections.

In this part I start with an NLP presupposition which assumes the sale, "when you work with me." More importantly, I set expectations that show I'm a professional and make it clear what will happen once we go forward together.

Clients have a lot of fears about working with freelancers. They've often had bad experiences. So address some of those things. Fast communication. Fast turnaround. A clear picture of next steps and what the client will come away with at the end.

---

Respectfully,
Lex DeVille

P.S. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed and I'm happy to make revisions so your website works for you!

Give the client a next action to take and sign off.

Always close out your bio with a call to action. It should be a CTA to contact you in some way shape or form. Nothing else. The next step is to contact you, period.
  • Contact me
  • Message me
  • Reply and let's chat
  • Reach out to me
  • Hit me back
  • Talk with me
  • Speak with me
  • Schedule a quick chat
  • Let's have a quick call
  • Shoot me a message
After that you'll want to sign off with your signature. There is no WRONG way to do this. Only more or less creative ways.

More professional:
  • Sincerely,
  • Kind Regards,
  • Warmly,
  • Respectfully,
  • Warm Regards
More Creative
  • Friendly,
  • Lethal Weapon,
  • Creatively,
  • With Sugar,
  • Stars & Hearts,
  • Hired Gun,
  • From My Couch with Love,
Use something that makes sense for the kind of person you are speaking to. Don't use a creative signature for the sake of being funny or creative unless that's what your audience expects to see.

Add a P.S. statement.

The P.S. section is optional, but I like to use it as a last-ditch effort to grab client attention and say one more thing that might be the weight that tips the scale.

Here are some things you could write there:

• Satisfaction guarantee
  • Keep my info in case you need me later
  • Did I mention I offer fixed-rates?
  • Happy to make revisions until it's right for you

---

F.A.Q.

Q - Can you create a contact form for my website?
A - Yes, contact forms are one of my specialties, and I can even design it so it looks really need and is fun for your customers so they want to get in touch.

Q - Can you add a way to sell merchandise?
A - Yes, for an additional small investment I can build an ecommerce system directly into your website so you can easily sell your products and wares.

Easily extend the length of your bio WHILE adding value with a F.A.Q. section.

This last piece is optional but I really like to have it because:

1. It's an easy way to make sure your overview is long enough for SEO
  2. It gives you a chance to address OTHER services you can offer
  3. It answers common questions clients might have about working with you
  4. It gives you one more chance to catch their attention
  5. It gives you one more chance to overcome objections

Think about what questions your clients will likely have. What limiting beliefs do they have that would stop them from contacting you? Try to answer those in your FAQ.

Alright...

That pretty much wraps it up for your bio.

There's a free template you can download here if you want something to fill in the blank, or to see another example bio I wrote.

HOMEWORK
Your homework today is to research your audience and then craft your bio using a YOU Focus. Remember to target their problems early on. Bridge them over to your solution. Offer them the outcomes they want, and finally...call them to action. Get on it. Do this now!
Do you need self-help copywriting? Are you a self-help professional, or a speaker, or an author, or a coach who needs help spreading your words and crafting words that move them to buy?

If you’ve ever been frustrated by lack of sales, lack of clicks, or lack of subscribers… I'm the copywriter you’ve been looking for!

A lot of copywriters are focused on the wrong things.
They focus on all the "creative" aspects of copywriting and totally miss the bigger picture.

They put in a lot of effort but because of their faulty approach, the marketplace never responds.
This is because the majority of copywriters are producing just “copy”.
They focus on producing a copy that is going to win awards for creativity that does nothing more than boosting their egos and wasting their clients thousands of dollars.

While this might seem valuable for a business it actually isn’t.
No business wants a copy that just looks pretty but does nothing else.

Hi there!

I'm a self-help copywriter and I help clients to influence their potential customers to read their offers and respond by pulling out their wallets. I do that by finding the EXACT right “magic” words that appeal to emotion your customers and potential customers instead of reason. I help clients to:

- Craft copy that converts cold traffic to hot sales
- Reduce their cost per conversion on Facebook
- Form the words to get more clicks, sales, and profits

When you work with me, you'll get a fast response, clear communications, and under 48 hours turnaround on most projects.

If any of that sounds like what you need, contact me!

May the sales be with you,
Max Yeap

P.S. Regardless of who you choose, take a screenshot of my profile(picture, if you want to) in case you need me later. Your satisfaction is guaranteed, I'm happy to make revisions until it's right for you.

F.A.Q.

Q - Do you write sales pages ever?
A - Yes. I've written long and short-form sales pages, some of which generated $9679 for my clients.

Q - Do you build a sales funnel ever?
A - Yes. I've built high-converting funnels using proven strategies that I've used repeatedly to create 6-Figure Funnels for high-powered entrepreneurs.

Your friendly self-help copywriter,
Max Yeap

Any feedback on how can I improve?

Ragnar_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
May 13, 2019
Florida
Tell them if they want a sample then you want a deposit milestone funded and released. $100 up front and you'll send samples. If they're not willing to take a little risk then why should they expect that from you? I never send custom samples without a deposit. It's a test project to see if you both like working together. If not, then you lose a few hours of time and they lose $100 bucks and you both go your separate ways.
Worked like a charm, client was happy!

Impacto

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2020
Bulgaria/Italy
This thread is incredible, spent the whole day reading it without even noticing the time flying. I was going to do an Intro thread for my first post, but I want to start this while it's fresh in my head. If I wait a few days I may never start, so I am just going to do this now.

Why are you doing this? - Because I am in a very bad situation right now and I need to get out of it asap, because my family is struggling and I cannot help them at the moment, and because I need to sink my teeth into something productive. I also realise that this will help me in many other areas of life. And I need to be successful again. It sucks to go from super secure to "I don't know If I'll have something to eat next week." This needs to stop, I want my financial security back. And then I can start building again.

Describe your endgame - My endgame is to grow into a person with a successful mindset, improve and learn new valuable skills and change my perception about online marketing in general. Obviously I need the money too.

How much money do you need to make it worth it? - Honestly, any money right now would go a long way. Don't care about the amount, I just need to get the ball rolling again. The skills I will learn doing this will be making me money for the rest of my life anyway. For the sake of specific goals - $1000 within the next two months would go a long way for me.

Who are you failing if you give up or dont succeed? - Just me. But a happy and successful me can make this world a better place. So in a way, not succeeding is letting the world down a bit. Massive pressure :)

Finally, I just want to say thank you to everyone posting in this forum, I just found it two days ago, don't even remember how, but I can't stop reading it, so much value. Now it's time for action, something I've struggled with my whole life. I haven't even read the books yet, but I will be doing it while taking action to keep the fire burning. There is a long road ahead, but I feel this is the road I've been searching for. I guess we'll find out. :)

Edit - 03.07.2020: Just a quick update, followed lesson two today with some changes to make it authentic and got accepted within 30 minutes lol. I don't know If I got lucky or things changed, but this was a pleasant surprise. I went with the copywriting skillset and that is what I am going to work with. Funny thing is, I know nothing about copy, so that'll be interesting! Onto lesson 3 now.

Last edited:

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
Hello @Lex DeVille great thread!

I have walked through all the steps in this thread and got approved on Upwork , sent four proposals and got a reply back from one of them.

My question is, I have been working on corporate job for the past 4 years and have been always told what to do and everything was clear even if I had to learn new skill I had the confidence to learn and get the job done.
...... but in freelancing I don't feel that way at least not yet, I have robust experience in mobile app development but when it comes to large or even intermediate projects am scared to even apply to them even though my past experience qualifies me well enough to get the job done there're still some parts of the job details am not aware of like 30% of what they need, in my corporate mentality I can learn these 30% but in freelancing am still not bold enough to do so and risk it, am always scared that I might not be able to get the job done in the specific time frame or in the best quality or alone.

What do you advice me to do? Is it okay to take and try projects that am not fully aware of how to do everything in them? if yes, how much percent of the task is enough to decide that I can do it and apply to the gig? Is it better to take small and simple tasks until am confident enough to move to larger projects?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hello @Lex DeVille great thread!

What do you advice me to do? Is it okay to take and try projects that am not fully aware of how to do everything in them? if yes, how much percent of the task is enough to decide that I can do it and apply to the gig? Is it better to take small and simple tasks until am confident enough to move to larger projects?

These questions don't have definitive answers that I can give you. They're questions that you have to answer for yourself because it's your business.

I take risks on stuff all the time, so it's easy to say that I would take a project even if I didn't know all of the specifics. To get specifics, just ask. Don't ask me though. Ask the client. They'll tell you everything you need to know.

At this point I would be more worried about getting clients to respond to you in the first place. Figure that part out. Then figure the next part out when you get to it.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
Hah.

Was bored this Saturday morning, browsing the forum as I so often do.

Stumbled upon this thread, and holy moly is there a lot of value in these 9 pages.

Figured I might as well dust off the old Upwork account and test the Lex Deville Upwork Application System (LDUAS).

Wrote an application in 10 minutes...

2 minutes later the client responded.

"Hello MatteFFS,

I really like your profile, and so far you seem like the best match for our business.

i really enjoyed your question, and i believe that blahblahblah..."

Looks like I'm writing copy this afternoon. :cool:

Impacto

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2020
Bulgaria/Italy
^Congratulations! Awesome work.

I also got my first gig today, I decided that I need to build some credibility and experience first so I checked out the entry-level jobs about article writing, as ZFLee suggested earlier in the thread. It's super low pay, but considering I've never written an article before (long forum posts don't count :)) it was a decent start. I wrote an awesome proposal using Lex's guidelines and got the job. There wasn't even an interview...

I just finished the first article of the deal and I sent it to the client to see how he feels about it, but I am personally very proud of myself for getting to this point. And this is just the beginning.

I also started reading Ca$hvertising as I want to get good at copy, article writing is just to get me started, but who knows. Maybe I will do both.

I want to thank everyone in this thread again, we live in super hard times and having people helping each other is a beautiful thing.

Luna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 7, 2020
Bosnia
Hi everyone:)

I've finished High School a month ago and I'm looking for a job. I don't have any work experience. Only option for me is to work as Virtual Assistant. If anyone needs one, I'll be more than happy to work for a minimal wage. I live in a 3rd world country and mayne 3-4$/h would be fine. Just need to start from somewhere. Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.