• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

NOTABLE! Lex DeVille's 2019 Step-By-Step Upwork Tutorial for Brokeass Bootstrap Beginners Who Need Cash Now!

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Lex DeVille, Mar 11, 2019.

1. ambrosinibello

ambrosinibello Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $556
    I'm having an internal struggle with getting my mindset straight.

I am currently on Upwork as a sales person/ phone closer. I have had personal experience actually doing:
    -Phone sales
    -Lead generation (taking their customers into funnel and capturing their information)
    -Pay per click advertising with display, search, and mobile advertising.

I am getting some interviews with my current sales role, but I would much rather be doing PPC or lead generation. I don't mind also taking on the role of closing the business, but only if I am part of lead generation.

My reason behind it is that majority of sales roles on upwork that I've been finding are marketing agencies, where you have to cold call your leads and it's 100% commission. They view the position as low value. I'd have no problem doing 100% for the right company, but thus far its all the same profile.

thoughts?

Lex DeVille and ZF Lee like this.
  2. Taktik

Taktik Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $132
    Thanks for the great information.

@Lex DeVille Would that also work on other freelancing platforms and in other languages?

Lex DeVille likes this.
  3. MB2

MB2 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $959
    You got to start with what you know. Go for low paying gigs, just to get the momentum and have positive feedbacks. Once you rack up good, positive feedback, then you can move onto high paying gigs.

Start from where you are friend!

Plan and take actions to see what works and what doesn't. Analyze 'em and decide what your next step is. Remember action is everything!

If you ain't moving, you are staying still!

Lex DeVille and Schwarz like this.
  4. Ot_adams

Ot_adams New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $17
    1. I am doing this so as to have an extra source of income and do better in life.
    2. At the end of the day, I will like to create an animation studio here in nigeria
    3. half a million
    4. I would have only failed myself and future Nigerian children who would have loved to watch indigenous animations created by my company

MB2 and Lex DeVille like this.
  5. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $51,783
    What do you want thoughts on? If you want to switch, switch. Nobody is stopping you but you.

ambrosinibello and ZF Lee like this.
  6. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $51,783
    Which part? If you're talking about the approach to proposals and sales, then yes it will work basically anywhere and on any platform where you can connect with people.

ZF Lee likes this.
  7. BellaPippin

BellaPippin Enough snacking on mediocrity. Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,338
    You know how to light some fire on people's chests, son!
    1. Why are you doing this?
    Because I need extra income to save. Because I want to buy a house to call my home and decorate it with a lot of plants. I WANT TO HAVE A LICENSE PLATE THAT READS "LANDLADY" and eventually I will buy more houses and rent them. My tenants will pay for my mortgage. I will milk my job for as long as I can/want but I will have TIME back. I want to go home to visit, to stay for more than two weeks, to go if something bad happens, if a friend gets married, if a baby is born. I want TIME and for that right now I need FUNDS, baby $$$$.
    1. Describe your endgame in specific detail...
    Ditto answer 1. plus ... extra $$ every month. Savings growing. Shopping for a multi unit house by this winter/next spring. Buy. Rent. Rinse and repeat while I keep growing passive streams until I can either work part-time out of desire or just stay at home and make paintings and work for myself. I don't need six figures I just need enough to not need a 9-5.
    1. How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
    If I make an extra $150-$300 a month it's already worth it for me. Every penny counts. Every dollar brings me that house sooner.
    1. Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?
    Myself. Myself. Myself. I. Me. My mom. She deserves all the help in the world when it's time and I'm an only child. My family. My friends. I want to give them the world. All the foster doggies and kitties that are sitting in cages and could be sitting near a fireplace. The megachonker Oscar or parrot cichlid fish I want to have in a 75 gallon tank. All the extra homegrown veggies I can take to my local food depository.

If I sound like a total altruistic/philantropic maniac is because I think I am. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok HERE I GO! ...Maybe tomorrow evening, ima cook keto pizza with bf tonight n_o ~ But here goes my attempt.

jms0717, Andy Black and Lex DeVille like this.
  8. dru-man

dru-man Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $184
    What's the deal with the new "specialized profiles" feature over at Upwork? On the surface seems like it's a great thing for smart freelancers who use Lex's approach - but I'm curious what kind of experience people are actually having with it on the platform.

ZF Lee and Lex DeVille like this.
  9. Madame Peccato

Madame Peccato Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $362
    I made a specialized profile, but I did not put much thought or effort into it, just a couple paragraphs that expand on the general profile.

I was thinking about it earlier and I realized it's probably better to have the other way around: slightly shorter general profile, a lot more in depth specialized profile. Or even better, write a completely new general profile, move the current general one as translation one (since I have rewritten it to make as specialized as possible, following this thread's advice), and then see if I want to make one more as a content writer (Lately I've been doing more writing than translating), depends on how this whole reorganization of Upwork goes for me.

Your client gets sent the specialized profile if it fits the job (for example my potential clients would see my Translation profile).

Lex DeVille likes this.
  10. Thomas Chauvet

Thomas Chauvet Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $574
    Thanks for this great thread and long posts. It shows how skilled you are with writing ! I don't plan to launch myself as a freelancer but it was very entertaining ! Thanks !

Lex DeVille likes this.
  11. Willing2Learn

Willing2Learn Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $242
    Thank you. I'm a little late, but I wanted to thank you for your feedback. I am definitely taking it into consideration.

Andy Black and Lex DeVille like this.
  12. BellaPippin

BellaPippin Enough snacking on mediocrity. Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,338
    Got insta-accepted for article writing, optimized overview, took three tests, came out top 20% on two and "above average" on the third. Now to some portfolio pieces and submit my first proposals. Fingers crossed.

dru-man and Lex DeVille like this.
  13. bingnanxu

bingnanxu Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $100
    Thank you!

Lex DeVille likes this.
  14. top boy

top boy New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $21
    @Lex DeVille Would you submit proposals to jobs with 0 spent, payment unverified and no feedback?

15. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $51,783
    Yup. The $8k web design job I picked up was one of those. Just be sure to get on a call with the client and make sure you know what they want before agreeing to work with them.

16. BellaPippin

Rep Bank:
    $2,338
    Wrote two articles for my portfolio following the course assignments, today I applied to three gigs. n_n

Question: One of the job descriptions for a job said "To get started, I'll give you a title and have you write a 1000 word article. If that goes well I have daily work for you". As someone who has done freelance in the past, that totally sounded like "I want my first article for free" to me (that is if there ARE other articles..)

Since I was writing articles for my assignments I picked a topic of what she was looking for (dog niche) and wrote a 650 opinion article about dog ear cropping to put on my portfolio, then said "there is a dog-related sample article in my portfolio you can review"

If she answers I'll tell her that is the sample, take it or leave it. Not gonna write 1000 words for free. 500, maybe, 1000 no thanks...

Thoughts?

srodrigo, Lex DeVille and lowtek like this.
  17. Thomas Chauvet

Thomas Chauvet Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $574
    Maybe he's willing to pay just for the first article to limit his risk, at first, and if you deliver well, he's going to give you a lot of work.

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

BellaPippin and Lex DeVille like this.
  18. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $51,783
    If she didn't ask for an unpaid article then there's a chance she is willing to pay for it. I wouldn't write an unpaid article. In most cases it's a big waste of time, although I like that you used it for your portfolio. That's a good way to reframe it to take back the power.

If you think a gig is a fit for you in the future but they're asking for an unpaid sample, it's okay to let them know you'll do a sample but not unpaid. You can give them a discount on the first piece so you still get paid and if they like you after that then you can go forward together.

A client who asks for free work typically isn't a client I would work with.

19. M00nburn

M00nburn New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $12

1. Why are you doing this?

I need more control over my income.

A. I need income based on merit. Work harder, smarter, receive more money.

B. I want the ability to work as much as I want. I don't have this ability with driving gigs.

C. I want the schedule freedom. I don't want to miss a t-ball game. If I'm up in the middle of the night, I want to have the option of trading that time for money.

2. My Endgame is

A. To level up to a higher income gig. Real estate wholesaling / Airbnb / High-end Woodworking. All of which I'll need capital for starting and a financial cushion. (I'm not saying I'll wait until all of this is done before I start leveling up, but for the sake of my family I have to be responsible)

B. Create income generating money system and establish contribution routine

C. Be debt free. At least what is current...

3. How much $ ?

Well, the endgame as stated above, plus $10,000 saved to level up with.

Initially, $125/day is what I need to keep the lights on and breathe. I'm making roughly that now and a significant portion goes to gas and auto maintenance.

At $250/day I should be able to level up within 6 months.

4. Who am I failing if I give up or don't succeed?

A. My kids. Their childhood, development, positive/engaged role models (me and wife)
    B. My wife. Her spirit is suffocating.
    C. Me. My talents and aspirations. My thirst for knowledge and experience will never be quenched.

Lex DeVille likes this.
  20. jms0717

jms0717 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $182
    I have had upwork for over a year, and basically have been half assing it since losing my last big client, not using any specific sales tactics, let alone the scripts here. A few days ago, I went through and applied to something that looks interesting using the proposal script, and got this message this morning. I thought I was out of the game with her, because the job I applied for was showing "hired" already. But obviously something worked
    Thanks Lex!

Attached Files:

Lex DeVille likes this.
  21. BellaPippin

Rep Bank:
    $2,338
    I haven't been very lucky so far. Out of 4 or 5 replies, 2 were scams, the other ones were invitations to apply to jobs that paid $1 per 500 words. Yes you read well. $1 per 500 words... (I'm willing to start cheap but writing 1000 words for $2 minus fees seemed like a waste of time, was I wrong?)

Now I've received this invitation:

[​IMG]

His profile seems legit, but giving him my address? If he's registered in Santa Clara and is currently in Mexico he knows no one that can receive the postcard from him? I know Google sends postcards but this smells like the "review a product for me, buy a gift card and send me a pic of the code" lol.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong, I've been sending proposals like you said, I have two portfolio pieces.. .maybe add some more?
    I'm submitting no more than 3 proposals every other day so I don't get banned or anything.

This is a sample proposal btw:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019 at 3:32 PM
  22. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $51,783
    Is this a typo on the forum only or is this typo also in your proposal?

23. BellaPippin

Rep Bank:
    $2,338
    Dang, no. Now you made me doubt, is that really wrong? How can it be "a up to" or "a article"? in either situation grammar requires an "an", no? They both start with a vowel sound o_o

Edit:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019 at 3:43 PM
  24. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $51,783
    Ah I see what you were saying. I think I misread it. I wonder if the client might have misread it as well. Beyond that the rest of the proposal looks good. Either the client hasn't made a decision, or it's possible he just found someone he liked more.

One thing to consider changing is the first line, "Hi! I"

With YOU Focused proposals you want to start off by addressing them first.

It's a small change but it might make a difference. You can drop the "I" and just say, "Saw you were looking for..."

BellaPippin likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.