• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! Lex DeVille's 2019 Step-By-Step Upwork Tutorial for Brokeass Bootstrap Beginners Who Need Cash Now!

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Lex DeVille, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 I Will Not Stop! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,373

This is the message i received.

''We’ve reviewed your profile and currently our marketplace doesn’t have opportunities for your area of expertise.

If you have more relevant skills or experience to add, you can update and re-submit your profile. You can find more information regarding our decision here.''

Can i regig the profile to reflect different skills than what was rejected or would that be a red flag for them?

Is it best for me to list the same skills and just set out my profile the way you have suggested above?

Timmy.

ZF Lee likes this.
  2. Logomet

Logomet Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $876
    So posts like this arent clssified as free forum ad? If I make Youtube video and big post about branding than it will be ok to post?

Anyway...

Upwork, Freelancer, Fiverr and any similar websites are waste of time for 90% of people.

Sure, you can make money. I used Fiverr when I was younger and I made $1k......in 1 year. Paying 20% (a bit more or less) to a website and paying tax to your country.

Those sites are race to the bottom. You cant compete with India or Pakistan.

Clients who are looking for a freelancers there, often looking for “everything” for paying almost nothing.

I also tried to hire few people, and the work they delivered was so bad I had to do it all by myself in the end.

I repeat, you can make some money in a looooooong run but its not worth it at all.

3. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 I Will Not Stop! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,373

Because you believe that you are right.

rogue synthetic and ZF Lee like this.
  4. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $47,689
    No, it's not a free forum ad. I've paid in approximately 12 hours of value-adding content creation in this thread alone and shared my processes that have helped me grow an ACTUAL freelance business. Additionally, my other GOLD and NOTABLE posts have helped others grow full-time freelance businesses.

I've shared STEP-BY-STEP instructions on how to do this.

Where have you shared anything on this forum that taught people how you built ANY business? Where have you shared ACTUAL steps that grew your own business? Because all I've seen are bullshit vague posts with vague statistics kind of like the one you threw out in your post here.

Please stop spewing your vague nonsense around the forum. If you can back that 90% up with proven data, do so. Otherwise, get lost.

No. This is the same dumbass statement made by every bottom-dwelling action-faker who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Wrong again. You are repeating the same crap nonsense, but your nonsense has already been disproven many times over on this forum.

For instance, in this GOLD post:
    GOLD! - Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

And in this NOTABLE post:
    NOTABLE! - Lex DeVille's - I Deleted My Upwork Account...

This tells me you not only suck as a freelancer, you also suck as a client.

I closed nearly $3,000 in gigs on Upwork last week so...yeah...

I didn't need to write all of this out though. The forum has already seen the "value" you provide. They've already judged you, and instead of trying to fix it by striving to create value, you think a better idea is to passively attack someone who called you out on your bullshit.

Smart move. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    rynor, Hijena1, fmob007 and 3 others like this.
  5. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $47,689
    You can reskill, but you don't have to. Just use the advice from the other post. Upwork gives a canned response about not needing an area of expertise. In my experience, it's usually because your profile didn't give Upwork what they wanted, not the skill itself. But try changing the skill and using the info from that post first and see what happens.

ZF Lee and Timmy1990 like this.
  6. Timmy1990

Rep Bank:
    $4,373

Thanks Lex!

Doing my profie up today and making it sexy as hell.

This will be great for an additional revenue stream and inject some cash for my main Business.

Thanks alot for everything.

7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Motherf*cking CEO of K-SWISS Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $8,335
    Why bother? You're competing against, India and Pakistan. You will not win!!! Stay AWAY!!!

Ninjakid, ZF Lee and Lex DeVille like this.
  8. Logomet

Logomet Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $876
    I'm saying all this from a designer's point of view. Why there is no good designers from Behance and Dribbble using those sites? Because it is a race to the bottom!

I created value multiple times which can be found in my profile history. I could make a YouTube video and drive traffic my way....I guess it would be fine then.

When comes to the site you're promoting and trying to get views on your Youtube channel, you shouldn't do that, because many people will lose their time for nothing.

I was using the same sites and they are trash! My decision was to move away from them and invest my time perfecting my design and business skills. Today I make the same amount per gig that I was making in a year.

If you make $3k in a week....WELL DONE! You should move from the site too, you will make $15k in a week and you won't have time for YouTube, where you teach others how to make money from the same platform you getting paid!

That tells you I suck as a client? Brother, you have so many videos on YouTube where people test those sites....results are there, look for them. I don't have time to search for EXACT statistics for you.

Also, my goal isn't to shit on those sites and bring all clients to me. I LOVE THOSE SITES! They help me filter clients who actually respect designers, song writers, commercial actors, etc. and their time.

My goal is to educate new designers and clients the difference between good and cheap design. There is a reason why is something dirty cheap. Go to Fiverr and search for logo design....look at those design, then go to Freepik and you will see where they get those designs. You think thats legal? They don't design, they illegally flip digital art!

You are talking about statistics...I would love to share it, but unfortunately there is no clear ROI with design. That's why many people don't care about it, which doesn't mean it's not important.

Go to Reddit and you will find posts on a daily basis people posting logo requests how they need new one because they get shit on ''your sites''.

- Do you believe in phrase ''Those who can't do, teach.''?

- Why did you include your YouTube video here?

9. Timmy1990

Rep Bank:
    $4,373
    LOL India and Pakistan? that's awesome!

My english very guwd me do well hear aginst them.....

That is so not ment to be racist in anyway no one take it that way please.

ZF Lee and Lex DeVille like this.
  10. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $47,689
    #blockedforbeinganignoranttimewastingspammymoron

Also, I recommend everyone else block @Logomet too because instead of adding value to the thread, he is actively working to clutter it with useless garbage to de-value it and waste your time.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Martin Boeddeker and ZF Lee like this.
  11. Xolorr

Xolorr Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,019
    Bookmarked for later, your content is GOLD Lex, thank you!

Took a very basic attempt at Upwork a couple weeks ago, but got my application rejected. Will give this a good read and see if I can get past that!

Lex DeVille likes this.
  12. Yzn

Yzn Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $356
    This is a great thread to be honest, it doesn't matter if upwork or freelance is your option or not, it has a lot of value on the topic that wouldn't be easily found anywhere else. Keep going dude.

Ok so I followed the guidelines and I still got rejected. I will try again in a couple of days.
    @Timmy1990 is from Melbourne, Australia so that tells me maybe it's not just because I'm from a "third world country" ;/

Lex DeVille likes this.
  13. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $47,689
    It's hard to say what factors Upwork is considering now. I used to think it had to do with location, but they seem to have tightened their requirements on who they let in. Even people from the United States are getting rejected pretty regularly now. Check very carefully for spelling and grammar errors, and consider listing one of the skills Upwork has a lot of need for if you know enough about one of those areas to sound legit:

Upwork releases latest Skills Index, ranking the 20 fastest-growing skills for freelancers | Press, News & Media Coverage

Just noticed at the bottom of that page they also list relevant Udemy and other courses for getting training in those skill areas. Someone was asking about where to get skills training yesterday.

ZF Lee and Yzn like this.
  14. srodrigo

srodrigo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,133
    I just had a quick look at Upwork out of curiosity, searched for "Flutter" (a framework to make mobile apps, quite niche), and had a look at a couple of examples:

1) A $100 (fixed-price) post asking to add a bunch of features to a custom plugin. This obviously takes a good amount of hours.

2) Website + customer app + merchant app + admin app + of course ordering online, all for $1.500 (fixed-price), which is ridiculous.

3) Android app to order good with admin panel (so 2 apps really, plus a backend), estimation arrival time and other advanced features. $200 (fixed-price). This even beats the previous example.

Most of other examples at a quick glance were similar.

Given that there's been some talk about prices, I got a question (maybe they'll be answered on future posts, sorry if that's is the case): is it common for clients to set an unrealistic price? I mean, is it common to ignore the price, apply and renegotiate with them?

Lex DeVille likes this.
  15. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $47,689
    I'll address these concerns in a future post. But we can chat about it now too.

To put this in perspective, let's reframe the situation. Imagine your fuel pump goes out on your car today. You need it fixed, but you don't know how much it costs. But you definitely have to get it fixed because it's your only transportation. So you post an ad in a Facebook Group and offer $50 for someone to fix it. You don't offer $500 or $5,000. Why is that? Because you'd be a fool!

But unless you're a mechanic or you've worked on cars, you don't know what actually goes into fixing a fuel pump. You don't know the hours, the parts, or even the difference between someone who will do a good job or a bad job. All you can judge others on is your first impressions.

So you post your ad and let's say 3 people respond. Out of those 3 people, 2 are willing to do the work at your price. But one of them doesn't speak your language. You have no idea if he even understands what you need, and therefore he's out.

Another one of those people is fresh out of the school house. He has a month or so of training and has never fixed an actual customer's car before. He doesn't know what questions to ask, or if he'll even be capable of helping you. He won't even know that a fuel pump might cost more than $50 by itself, forget the labor. His goal is just to work on your car so he can get money and tell people he's worked on cars...

The third guy is a mechanic. He's new to the industry, but he's already worked on customer cars, and has even fixed a few fuel pumps. He talks with you about your car, asks what it's doing because he knows the fuel pump may not even be the real or only problem.

You explain the sounds your car is making and he walks you through it asking more and more questions to get a better feel for your situation, and to determine if he can help you. Along the way he learns all about you. What your car's been doing, its history, and even why this is so important for you to get fixed. He also asks about your budget, and helps you research the cost of fuel pumps to find one that's a fit for you.

By the end of your conversation you've had an hour long chat with this guy that was hugely valuable. You discovered that your fuel pump will cost a couple hundred dollars by itself. Based on the amount of help this guy has offered in terms of time alone, you know he's a true professional that cares about your situation. For that reason you KNOW he's the right guy to do this.

But to have him do it, the cost will be $1,000 total. That's the price of the fuel pump plus what he values his time at.

Now, you can scoff at his price. You can call him crazy. But you won't do that. Why? Because he wouldn't have offered his price unless it was within a budget you could afford which was already established by his earlier questions. Instead, you will accept HIS price because you've already seen "what else is out there" and this guy has proven he's the ONE.

So you whip out your card, fire off a $1,000 bucks, get a new fuel pump plus a seal it needed that the other guys didn't even ask about...and you're on your way again in a day.

This is my sales process in a story...

rynor, fmob007, MB2 and 3 others like this.
  16. srodrigo

srodrigo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,133
    Thanks for addressing this in advance. That answers my question. I've never tried Upwork or anything similar by myself (just did freelancing once and was through my network), so it's easy to get put off by those listings without actually trying to speak to people. I imagine most of the people who post there don't have much idea about how much what they want costs.

Looking forward for the upcoming content :) This is high value for any freelancers regardless of Upwork.

17. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,215
    My two last clients were actually from India.:playful:

Their English and communication skills were just as good as any Westerner.

Paid me enough cash and interesting work to convince me to up my present rates per hour by at least 50% more.

@Raoul Duke, IMO, Indian clients are one of the best to work for.

They are some of the few who have been hit hard by shoddy work.

If you really want to know how to find clients that 100% you can surely win, find those who have been scammed by freelancers who gave plagiarized work. You can see their client reviews at the bottom of the job description.

Then write your proposal to counter THESE market failures, put the relevant samples, and wait for fireworks.:playful:

But I understand @Logomet's POV, flawed as it may be.
    I'm already edging away from freelancer because their pool of clients are simply impervious to You-focused proposals, plus their job descriptions aren't thorough enough for the best freelancers to offer pro-bono advice.

A huge number of the clients there are not payment verified, and have pretty shoddy freelancer reviews. Upwork at least monitors and cuts down on these things.

Plus there's very little entry barriers on freelancer. Unlike Upwork's approval system, any Joe can go onto the freelancer platform.

Whereas on Upwork, high-dollar clients are already there. I've actually never seen their calibre on freelancer, the most I've seen was $2000 for programming. So yeah, it's just a matter of going to where the good market is.

Done much of these stuff already!:smile2:

I might update my own profile again though to add a Q&A.
    Forgot to do it, although I've added one for my old versions of my Upwork write-up.

Instead, I used that space to write a simple 3-step procedure that explains to clients how they can expect to receive value from me.

Basically something like this:
    1. A personal one-on-one chat to know more about your goals and needs (they can sometimes differ from what they are asking for)

2. Regular communication of updates on work (I do this regularly with writing clients, by attaching comments in my Microsoft Word, pointing out why I put that change or cut that paragraph)

I've noticed I can respond to clients within MINUTES (or seconds), so I could add that as an additional guarantee.

3. Welcoming feedback

It's not Midas' gold, but many clients need that information and guarantee of a consistent service.

BTW I've popped by at your NLP copywriting bio.

Very simple, and very straight-to-the-point! Love it!

Yup, I did that. Started out doing data entry, and now moving up as a copywriter.

I think I could have started out doing short stories as well- as sales letters and emails can make use of that skill.

But I'm in a kind of a hybrid state now. I'm doing a bit of resumes and business articles on the side, which aren't 100% direct response stuff.

Lex DeVille likes this.
  18. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,215
    Not again....

Welp, this means this thread is going to be a lot more dramatic:rofl:

I've just gotten an invite for an email job with a starter pay of $400.

$400!

If there's recurring jobs, it'll go up to $700. Very close to the thousand-mark.

When converted to my local currency, its like a few hundred bucks more than my monthly allowance.
    Crazy!

What's even better is that my client is:
    -Singaporean. My first client was ALSO Singaporean. So I have an advantage. I've worked with his kind of people before.

-My first gig (data entry) was for an educational company. THIS new gig is ALSO for education.

Effing crazy!

Will send in my reply and see how. It's like 2/3 hours since he sent me the invite. I had better fire my reply fast!

Thanks Lex! Those threads are simply life-changing!

Hijena1, Timmy1990, Mutant and 2 others like this.
  19. r6203

r6203 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,025
    Thank you, Lex, for this thread!

Quick question as I know you were in the same position: I was already on Upwork but deleted my account... if I'm going to sign up again that's against their terms of services...
    How would you try to solve this problem? Signing up again, wait for the ban and explain everything?

20. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $47,689
    If you deleted your account then you should be able to sign up again without trouble assuming you don't get rejected like a lot of people. I didn't have any trouble at all except I had to delete twice because I forgot to delete my client account the first time. If you don't delete both the freelance and client accounts then it just reopens your old account (at least it did in 2017). You could also consider contacting Upwork to reinstate your old account first. That might work but no guarantees.

r6203 and ZF Lee like this.
  21. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,061
    As an offensive, I find this Indian.

[​IMG]

SMH, ZF Lee, rogue synthetic and 3 others like this.
  22. Einfamilienhaus

Einfamilienhaus New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $52
    The shown income is for the last project? Or the monthly/yearly or even the whole income since the account exists?

23. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $47,689
    I assume you're talking about the number my Upwork account shows. It shows the lifetime earnings. About half of which are from a single project. I restarted my Upwork account in 2017 (see the thread titled "I deleted my Upwork account") so I could prove you could generate full-time income just through their platform. Once it was proven, I didn't really have any reason to keep taking clients through Upwork because I had clients outside of Upwork. However, the number shown isn't completely accurate either because Upwork only updates in amounts of $10,000 once you cross the 5-figure mark on their platform. I'm not sure why they do that.

ZF Lee likes this.
  24. Timmy1990

Rep Bank:
    $4,373
    ''Hi Timothy,
    Thank you for your interest in joining Upwork. We have reviewed your application to join, and regret to inform you that we are unable to accept your Upwork freelancer registration at this time.
    Please do not consider this a reflection of your abilities – while we would like to offer every qualified freelancer a spot, admission is highly competitive as Upwork receives more than 10,000 freelancer registrations daily. To help ensure that the freelancers we accept have the best chance at finding opportunities on our platform, we can only accept a small percentage of those who want to join.
    If you feel that the profile you submitted does not accurately represent your skills and experience, you are free to update and resubmit your profile.
    Sincerely,
    The Upwork Support Team''

Well GG upwork!

I will wait another week and try again.

25. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $47,689
    That's interesting, haven't seen anyone get tbat message before. Did you try a new skill or the same one as before?

ZF Lee and Timmy1990 like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.