The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hello @Lex DeVille How do you feel about the fact that Upwork has made submissions actually paid using the bid system?
Technically, you don't have to bid to apply to gigs. Generally speaking, I don't feel any particular way about it. I rarely apply anymore. Usually, clients reach out to me. Currently, I'm only working with one client.

In my experience, bidding for the top positions doesn't matter much. Clients look through proposals until they find one or more freelancers who might be a good fit.

Something to keep in mind, Upwork constantly rolls out new ways to extract money from freelancers. For instance, by increasing the average connects required from 8 to 16, they reduce the time it takes freelancers to run out of connects which means they top up sooner which means Upwork makes money faster because those freelancers buy connects.

Lana Ocean

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 18, 2023
Something to keep in mind, Upwork constantly rolls out new ways to extract money from freelancers. For instance, by increasing the average connects required from 8 to 16, they reduce the time it takes freelancers to run out of connects which means they top up sooner which means Upwork makes money faster because those freelancers buy connects.
I talked to the top freelancers of UpWork, no one is happy with these innovations, as well as the fact that 5% tax on long term contracts was changed to 10%
But you're right - UpWork earns more)))

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 12, 2022

Upwork is one of the fastest ways to get your feet wet with online business. You probably won't get rich on Upwork (though it's not impossible), and that isn't the purpose of this guide. This multi-post guide is an Upwork Tutorial for those who:

• Need to get moving on something...ANYTHING
  • Need a way to bootstrap cash...FOR FREE

It doesn't matter where you're from or what your situation is. If you have semi-stable internet and a computer to work from, then you can make money on Upwork at no cost to you but your time.

In the posts that follow I will share a series of Upwork Tutorials to get you started even if you don't know what the f*ck you're doing, and even if you don't have any skills or experience right now. This step-by-step guide will give you a clear path from $0 to your first $1,000 or more on Upwork.

If you follow my posts and do as I say, you will make money...

Possibly this week.

However, you should know that your success here requires a difficult mindset shift. You will have to change how you do things. Employees do NOT make good freelancers. So here are some things you should know right now:

• You can take your 20 year work history and light it on fire
  • Tuck your college degrees away on some shelf
  • Tear that entitled victim attitude to shreds because...

Freelance clients don't give a shit about your education and experience unless it backs up your ability to get the job done. Also, nobody owes you anything. In the freelance world, you rise to your own level based on how much you help people, and on how clearly you demonstrate that you can help people.

Also... I'm developing a corresponding tutorial for my YouTube channel, and as such will be posting videos related to each post topic. You can watch them or not. You do not have to watch them to get the information because I will also post it in text here.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Each day I will walk you through one piece of the Upwork puzzle. Step-by-step I will guide you to get approved on Upwork, get started, and make money. At the end of each post you will find a homework assignment.

Do the homework each day.

I would encourage you to share your progress and results either here, on my channel, or both since it will encourage engagement that will send traffic to the Fastlane Forum (each video links to the forum), and to my channel which is valuable for M.J. and for myself and also promotes future comprehensive tutorials such as this one, which is valuable for you.

SET OFF AT SUNRISE TO GET THERE BY DARK

There's only one way this thread won't become another action-faking, analysis paralysis knowledge feast for you. To make anything useful happen, you will have to take MASSIVE action and get started. You will have to stop telling yourself every silly excuse. Stop being afraid. Don't let phantoms of fantasy futures destroy your dreams.

Action is the only way.

So start today. Right now. Make a commitment. Commit to do this. Commit to act and to get started. You will start this today. You will take your first step now. And that first step is to determine WHY you are doing this. What do you want to come of this? To do that, your first homework is physically to answer all of the following questions:

1. Why are you doing this?
  2. Describe your endgame in specific detail...
  3. How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
  4. Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?

It's important to know WHY you are doing this. You can't be vague about it. "I want to be a highly paid freelancer who creates value" is not a good response for your "why."

You are doing this because you need to pay bills or debt. Because you want to quit your shitty job. Because you need money for your ecommerce business. Because you want to travel and earn money from anywhere. Because you want to support your family. Because you want to earn full-time pay with part-time work from home.

You are trying to escape something (bad job, bad boss, debt, poverty, feeling like a loser). You desire some kind of change (travel, money, freedom, skills, to get started). You are selfish and you want things in life and THAT IS OKAY.

But you need to define those things. The things you want. The things you don't want. Because it is those things that will help remind you why you set off down this path in the first place, especially when there's nothing but miles and miles of bumpy road ahead.

That is your homework today.

Do the homework. Post your response. In the next post I will teach you how to give yourself the best possible chance to get approved on Upwork. As of 2019, getting approved on Upwork is probably the single biggest barrier to entry for new freelancers.

Lucky for you, you're not a freelancer. You're an entrepreneur, and you have me as your guide. So follow this Upwork Tutorial and commit to continue even when the long road makes you weary. If you do, you may discover the distance between sunrise and sunset isn't so far apart as it seems.

By the way...

This is the only mindset post.

Get your mind right now. In the days that follow, we've got work to do.
I'm doing this to generate my own income, have enough food to eat, and pay my bills myself. I am also doing this to have a sustainable income, quit university, and Start my own Fastlane Business.

Use the cash and experience I get to Start my Fastlane Business.

I will need to earn about $10,000 a month to make this worth it.

I'm literally failing myself, my family, and my future family. I'm already performing badly in the university. So I will need to make this work somehow

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

S1re

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 28, 2023

Upwork is one of the fastest ways to get your feet wet with online business. You probably won't get rich on Upwork (though it's not impossible), and that isn't the purpose of this guide. This multi-post guide is an Upwork Tutorial for those who:

It doesn't matter where you're from or what your situation is. If you have semi-stable internet and a computer to work from, then you can make money on Upwork at no cost to you but your time.

In the posts that follow I will share a series of Upwork Tutorials to get you started even if you don't know what the f*ck you're doing, and even if you don't have any skills or experience right now. This step-by-step guide will give you a clear path from $0 to your first $1,000 or more on Upwork.

Possibly this week.

However, you should know that your success here requires a difficult mindset shift. You will have to change how you do things. Employees do NOT make good freelancers. So here are some things you should know right now:

Freelance clients don't give a shit about your education and experience unless it backs up your ability to get the job done. Also, nobody owes you anything. In the freelance world, you rise to your own level based on how much you help people, and on how clearly you demonstrate that you can help people.

Also... I'm developing a corresponding tutorial for my YouTube channel, and as such will be posting videos related to each post topic. You can watch them or not. You do not have to watch them to get the information because I will also post it in text here.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Each day I will walk you through one piece of the Upwork puzzle. Step-by-step I will guide you to get approved on Upwork, get started, and make money. At the end of each post you will find a homework assignment.

I would encourage you to share your progress and results either here, on my channel, or both since it will encourage engagement that will send traffic to the Fastlane Forum (each video links to the forum), and to my channel which is valuable for M.J. and for myself and also promotes future comprehensive tutorials such as this one, which is valuable for you.

There's only one way this thread won't become another action-faking, analysis paralysis knowledge feast for you. To make anything useful happen, you will have to take MASSIVE action and get started. You will have to stop telling yourself every silly excuse. Stop being afraid. Don't let phantoms of fantasy futures destroy your dreams.

Action is the only way.

So start today. Right now. Make a commitment. Commit to do this. Commit to act and to get started. You will start this today. You will take your first step now. And that first step is to determine WHY you are doing this. What do you want to come of this? To do that, your first homework is physically to answer all of the following questions:

It's important to know WHY you are doing this. You can't be vague about it. "I want to be a highly paid freelancer who creates value" is not a good response for your "why."

You are doing this because you need to pay bills or debt. Because you want to quit your shitty job. Because you need money for your ecommerce business. Because you want to travel and earn money from anywhere. Because you want to support your family. Because you want to earn full-time pay with part-time work from home.

You are trying to escape something (bad job, bad boss, debt, poverty, feeling like a loser). You desire some kind of change (travel, money, freedom, skills, to get started). You are selfish and you want things in life and THAT IS OKAY.

But you need to define those things. The things you want. The things you don't want. Because it is those things that will help remind you why you set off down this path in the first place, especially when there's nothing but miles and miles of bumpy road ahead.

Do the homework. Post your response. In the next post I will teach you how to give yourself the best possible chance to get approved on Upwork. As of 2019, getting approved on Upwork is probably the single biggest barrier to entry for new freelancers.

Lucky for you, you're not a freelancer. You're an entrepreneur, and you have me as your guide. So follow this Upwork Tutorial and commit to continue even when the long road makes you weary. If you do, you may discover the distance between sunrise and sunset isn't so far apart as it seems.

By the way...

Hello everyone, this is gonna be my very first engagement to the forum itself. My reason for doing this is to generate enough capital to start an effective ecommerce business. I will keep myself accountable using these posts. Lets get started.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023

Possibly this week.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Action is the only way.

By the way...

This post is an ESSENTIAL.

Why does this post not Gold(ed) yet?

I was thinking about how to raise money so thanks for the help.

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
Technically, you don't have to bid to apply to gigs. Generally speaking, I don't feel any particular way about it. I rarely apply anymore. Usually, clients reach out to me. Currently, I'm only working with one client.

In my experience, bidding for the top positions doesn't matter much. Clients look through proposals until they find one or more freelancers who might be a good fit.

Do you pay for the "availability badge" or the "boost your profile" feature to bring in the invites?

boost.png

Or are neither necessary?

I used to be really active on Upwork, but I'm so out of the loop now I can't keep track of all these new features and which is for what.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Do you pay for the "availability badge" or the "boost your profile" feature to bring in the invites?

View attachment 52549

Or are neither necessary?

I used to be really active on Upwork, but I'm so out of the loop now I can't keep track of all these new features and which is for what.
I don't pay extra for any of Upwork's silly new money-siphoning tricks.

The best solution for most freelancers who want to get hired is to continuously find ways to improve your proposals.

Upwork is making it more difficult to get found in search results so you have to spend money if you want your profile to reach the top of search results for a period of time.

That said, I suspect you can still reach the top of search results if you build a profile around niche search terms.

It is also still beneficial to increase or decrease your price by $20 or more to trigger Upwork's algorithms.

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands

Possibly this week.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Action is the only way.

By the way...

Amazing Lex can i also charge people with European money instead of Dollars
Do i also need any coding skill i dont have any degree nor skill the reason iam asking this is iam gonna buy a laptop i dont have a computer and if I need to learn maybe coding or copywriting I need a different type of Laptop that is Suitable for that work

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Amazing Lex can i also charge people with European money instead of Dollars
Do i also need any coding skill i dont have any degree nor skill the reason iam asking this is iam gonna buy a laptop i dont have a computer and if I need to learn maybe coding or copywriting I need a different type of Laptop that is Suitable for that work
I'm not European, so you'd have to look the answer up on Upwork.

As for the skill part, you can't just show up on the platform and say, "I'm here, give me money!"

That approach doesn't work well. Yes, you need a skill.

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
I'm not European, so you'd have to look the answer up on Upwork.

As for the skill part, you can't just show up on the platform and say, "I'm here, give me money!"

That approach doesn't work well. Yes, you need a skill.
Ah okee man I am sorry if I asked something stupid I am quite new with this gig and entrepreneurship in general
Which skill should I learn before I can go ask money on up work and where can I learn that skill

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Ah okee man I am sorry if I asked something stupid I am quite new with this gig and entrepreneurship in general
Which skill should I learn before I can go ask money on up work and where can I learn that skill
The skills you need are not technical skills like "copywriting" or "coding." The skills you need to make money are skills in critical thinking, decision-making, and problem-solving. You have to become someone who can do your own research using the multitudes of tools that are freely available to you such as Google, YouTube, ChatGPT, and even this forum. Entrepreneurship is a path of adventure, exploration, and value creation. If someone has to tell you what to do, then entrepreneurship and freelancing may not be the paths for you.

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
The skills you need are not technical skills like "copywriting" or "coding." The skills you need to make money are skills in critical thinking, decision-making, and problem-solving. You have to become someone who can do your own research using the multitudes of tools that are freely available to you such as Google, YouTube, ChatGPT, and even this forum. Entrepreneurship is a path of adventure, exploration, and value creation. If someone has to tell you what to do, then entrepreneurship and freelancing may not be the paths for you.
I try to understand what you're saying but looks like I understand a bit but I wanted to start on upwork to get my feet Wet in the entrepreneurial space get some wins and confidence where can I get those skills and let's say I have them how can I use them to create value English is not my first language sorry I am a bit confused
critical thinking, decision-making, and problem-solving should I take a course for this to get this skills ?

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I try to understand what you're saying but looks like I understand a bit but I wanted to start on upwork to get my feet Wet in the entrepreneurial space get some wins and confidence where can I get those skills and let's say I have them how can I use them to create value English is not my first language sorry I am a bit confused
critical thinking, decision-making, and problem-solving should I take a course for this to get this skills ?
I suggest using Google, YouTube, and ChatGPT to learn about critical thinking, decision-making, and problem-solving.

Value is created when you solve problems for other people.

Solving problems requires critical thinking.

Entrepreneurship requires making decisions about what to do next.

As an entrepreneur, you must learn to apply critical thinking to problems.

Critical thinking is how you identify possible solutions for problems.

Then you must make a decision about what action you will take to solve each problem you face.

I hope that makes sense.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Madman1996 ... Lex is basically saying you have to figure it out.

Pick some skill people pay for that you might already have or could pick up. Go help people with that skill. Figure out how to get paid.

Entrepreneurship is basically a problem solving journey - figuring out which problems to solve (and in which order), and then solving them.

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
I suggest using Google, YouTube, and ChatGPT to learn about critical thinking, decision-making, and problem-solving.

Value is created when you solve problems for other people.

Solving problems requires critical thinking.

Entrepreneurship requires making decisions about what to do next.

As an entrepreneur, you must learn to apply critical thinking to problems.

Critical thinking is how you identify possible solutions for problems.

Then you must make a decision about what action you will take to solve each problem you face.

I hope that makes sense.
Ah yes it makes sense Thank you for being precise and using easy words do you know anybody in the entrepreneur circle who has an IQ of 58

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
@Madman1996 ... Lex is basically saying you have to figure it out.

Pick some skill people pay for that you might already have or could pick up. Go help people with that skill. Figure out how to get paid.

Entrepreneurship is basically a problem solving journey - figuring out which problems to solve (and in which order), and then solving them.
Thank you Andy I don't really have a skill where can I learn one or choose one also gonna as you say help people just help them is also a good way to provide value

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you Andy I don't really have a skill where can I learn one or choose one also gonna as you say help people just help them is also a good way to provide value
It's not about "learning". It's about helping people and figuring it out as you go along.

Watch the 8 min video here:

And MJ's video here:

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It's not about "learning". It's about helping people and figuring it out as you go along.

Watch the 8 min video here:

And MJ's video here:
@Andy Black so much gold in that 8 min call. Thank you (as per usual).

Yeah... just get into conversations.

Tarun6069

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 13, 2023
India

Possibly this week.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Action is the only way.

By the way...

Sir , is Freelancing still relevant in 2024?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Tarun6069

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 13, 2023
India
Relevant, yes. But is it a good business idea? I wouldn't do it again.
Sir what would you suggest a CS college student? I am willing to put in hard work but i don't know what to do except focusing on my Coding skills. I don't know what's next after that. It would be a big help if you suggest something to me with respect to current market that can help me make money.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Sir what would you suggest a CS college student? I am willing to put in hard work but i don't know what to do except focusing on my Coding skills. I don't know what's next after that. It would be a big help if you suggest something to me with respect to current market that can help me make money.
I suggest you read the many step-by-step GOLD and Notable threads already posted around this forum. ;)

Rarehelge

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 19, 2023
Norway

Possibly this week.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Action is the only way.

By the way...

Great post! What about us teens under the age of 18? Is there another freelancing site that teens can use?

EL_00

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 10, 2023
why?
- initial fund outside day job to rent hosting for the web that I will rent

worth money, and end game?
- low, $1000 -> $500 for 2 months rent & rest for renting the hosting

who will fail?
- myself, i cannot see any future in my current situation except have a new income source

Michael Ankrah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 23, 2023
I suggest you read the many step-by-step GOLD and Notable threads already posted around this forum. ;)
Sir, is there a chance that you will do a new playlist about getting started on UpWork since these videos are like 4,5 years old? But anyway some information are still golden though. Thanks so much for it by the way.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Sir, is there a chance that you will do a new playlist about getting started on UpWork since these videos are like 4,5 years old? But anyway some information are still golden though. Thanks so much for it by the way.
Probably not. The fundamental principles do not change, so it doesn't matter if the videos are 4, 5, or 50 years old. If you show interest in the problems of other people, and if you prove you can solve those problems better than the next freelancer, then they will want to work with you whether you seek clients inside of Upwork or beyond.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.