The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Damn Boss- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
My Damn Boss

Grabbing the soggy carpet drenched in cat piss and shit I turned my head and nearly vomited. I was sweating profusely with a sanitary mask covering my mouth, some old throwaway clothes on and wearing thick rubber gloves on a mid summer day in Everett, WA.

I was contracted to gut the house and get it ready for the contractors to come in and assess the damage, of which there was plenty. The stench of the home could be smelled from the street on this hot summer day. The ex-tenant I was told had an unknown number of cats that never left the house and whom apparently did not use a litter box either, preferring the floor to which the tenant was apparently A-OK with.

I was 18 years old and had just graduated high school and got into the real estate business, joining up at Wilson Realty Exchange in Shoreline, WA. My Boss was a well-known Seattle Real Estate investor who had amassed a large fortune by buying rental property over the past 5 decades. He had between 100-300 homes at all times, sometimes selling units off, sometimes acquiring more depending on market conditions and his own estate planning goals.

He had decided to teach me a very valuable lesson this Friday morning. I went into his office and as a new broker wanting to let him know how motivated I was, I volunteered myself for any labor activities he needed help with to help supplement my income as I got going as an agent.

He sent me to this wonderful piss invested home for demo saying simply, I’ll give you $100 to rip out the carpets and cabinets in the kitchen and get it ready for the contractors to come in. I jumped at the opportunity site unseen and now I was regretting the decision cussing him out under my breath as I drug these heavy piss and shit filled carpets into the front yard while trying not to breath for fear of vomiting.

Monday morning I came in early, ready to get my $100 and focus my efforts on something a bit more ambitious.

“How’d it go over in Everett” Bob asked smiling?

“It’s all done”, I replied, barely glancing up from my desk.

“You see Rick, you can either work with these,” he explained holding up his hands.

“Or with this” He grinned pointing through his skull. “It’s up to you”

“Got it,” I replied trying not to let my anger shine through.

“Ok then, see you at the meeting” Bob said as he turned to walk upstairs to our weekly sales meeting.

Bob always had a funny way of teaching me things and in retrospect he was my first true mentor. He was a self described “old school, belly to belly business man” who had figured things out and built an amazingly profitable real estate portfolio valued in the millions, like way up in the millions.

Bob would take you to lunch and spend hours teaching through abstract ideals and indirect symbolism, something a young ambitious man like myself didn’t think I had the time for.

I thought I just needed a break, a silver bullet, a lifeline thrown my way when in reality I would have to create my own years later after a whole lot of trial, error and failure.

Full Circle

It makes more sense now.

11 years after pulling piss soaked carpets from that shitty little brown house on Bridge Way in North Everett I think I finally understand what Bob was trying to teach me.

Sure he was personally motivated by my success as a real estate salesman but he didn't need that 10% of my earnings, he did what he did because he enjoyed teaching the game of real estate, a sport that he was a bonafide legend in.

In my blind quest of chasing the lowest hanging dollar I never focused on the most important thing that Bob could possibly teach me. He was a good salesman, a decent managing broker at our office, but his true talent was finding and buying the best cash flowing rental properties in the city, something he always would hint that I had the same knack for.

Today after nearly 12 years in the business I've sold a ton of homes all of which brought me no closer to happiness, success or financial freedom. Being a real estate salesman was something I was pretty damn good at, but also something that held me back from realizing my true calling.

Having bought 3 properties for myself as well as one buy and flip that I had partnered on, I had experience in purchasing real estate, just never cash flowing rental real estate, which is a completely different genre of property. While I was excellent at finding these deals and selling them to clients, I put off my own long term investments for down the road when I "had the money".

Now having created my own passive income business and having earned my freedom of time and location, the time to come full circle and put into practice what Bob so desperately was trying to convey a decade ago, is upon me.

The Damn Green Notebook - The Progress Thread Predecessor

I remember so many times coming into Bob’s office for guidance. He would dance around a few ideas, tell me to get out there and shake more hands and then usually refer back to a very similar speech I must had heard a dozen times.

“You know Rick”, he’d begin “when I was 26 years old I bought a notebook” he gestured holding up the green notebook that was always displayed prominently on his desk.

I’d think to myself, “Oh Jesus, not the notebook again”

“When I bought my first property I wrote down the price, the mortgage and the payments I needed to make in order to pay the home off in ten years and I’d record every payment when it was made.” He’d explain excitedly as if it were the first time we’d discussed this.

“I did this for my second, third, fourth, property and so on. In fact, I lived in a tiny little apartment by Greenlake I rented for $90 a month and never moved into a property I owned until I bought my tenth house.” He’d explain with a grin.

I heard this same story so many times that I didn’t know if he was just getting older, repeating stories as many old men do, or how exactly this was going to help me go out and make a sale.

Today I realize that what Bob was trying to say is for me to stop trying to find that sale, stop reaching for the lowest hanging dollar and begin building something. Go out, buy your own damn green notebook, make a plan and execute it. Not a sales plan, a life plan.

It took creating a business that freed my time and energy and gave me the void to fill, but I now realize what my next step in this journey is, in fact it could be nothing else. I wonder if I should head up to Seattle and go sit in Bob’s office just to hear the story one more time for old times sake.

Bob would be happy to know I’m going out in the morning and buying my own green notebook, leveraging all my experience and industry knowledge to find and purchase investment property, beginning a new chapter of wealth building and leveling up from a six figure income to real wealth. I will be keeping track of my progress monthly, both here and in my damn green notebook.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
My Damn Boss

Grabbing the soggy carpet drenched in cat piss and shit I turned my head and nearly vomited. I was sweating profusely with a sanitary mask covering my mouth, some old throwaway clothes on and wearing thick rubber gloves on a mid summer day in Everett, WA.

I was contracted to gut the house and get it ready for the contractors to come in and assess the damage, of which there was plenty. The stench of the home could be smelled from the street on this hot summer day. The ex-tenant I was told had an unknown number of cats that never left the house and whom apparently did not use a litter box either, preferring the floor to which the tenant was apparently A-OK with.

I was 18 years old and had just graduated high school and got into the real estate business, joining up at Wilson Realty Exchange in Shoreline, WA. My Boss was a well-known Seattle Real Estate investor who had amassed a large fortune by buying rental property over the past 5 decades. He had between 100-300 homes at all times, sometimes selling units off, sometimes acquiring more depending on market conditions and his own estate planning goals.

He had decided to teach me a very valuable lesson this Friday morning. I went into his office and as a new broker wanting to let him know how motivated I was, I volunteered myself for any labor activities he needed help with to help supplement my income as I got going as an agent.

He sent me to this wonderful piss invested home for demo saying simply, I’ll give you $100 to rip out the carpets and cabinets in the kitchen and get it ready for the contractors to come in. I jumped at the opportunity site unseen and now I was regretting the decision cussing him out under my breath as I drug these heavy piss and shit filled carpets into the front yard while trying not to breath for fear of vomiting.

Monday morning I came in early, ready to get my $100 and focus my efforts on something a bit more ambitious.

“How’d it go over in Everett” Bob asked smiling?

“It’s all done”, I replied, barely glancing up from my desk.

“You see Rick, you can either work with these,” he explained holding up his hands.

“Or with this” He grinned pointing through his skull. “It’s up to you”

“Got it,” I replied trying not to let my anger shine through.

“Ok then, see you at the meeting” Bob said as he turned to walk upstairs to our weekly sales meeting.

Bob always had a funny way of teaching me things and in retrospect he was my first true mentor. He was a self described “old school, belly to belly business man” who had figured things out and built an amazingly profitable real estate portfolio valued in the millions, like way up in the millions.

Bob would take you to lunch and spend hours teaching through abstract ideals and indirect symbolism, something a young ambitious man like myself didn’t think I had the time for.

I thought I just needed a break, a silver bullet, a lifeline thrown my way when in reality I would have to create my own years later after a whole lot of trial, error and failure.

Full Circle

It makes more sense now.

11 years after pulling piss soaked carpets from that shitty little brown house on Bridge Way in North Everett I think I finally understand what Bob was trying to teach me.

Sure he was personally motivated by my success as a real estate salesman but he didn't need that 10% of my earnings, he did what he did because he enjoyed teaching the game of real estate, a sport that he was a bonafide legend in.

In my blind quest of chasing the lowest hanging dollar I never focused on the most important thing that Bob could possibly teach me. He was a good salesman, a decent managing broker at our office, but his true talent was finding and buying the best cash flowing rental properties in the city, something he always would hint that I had the same knack for.

Today after nearly 12 years in the business I've sold a ton of homes all of which brought me no closer to happiness, success or financial freedom. Being a real estate salesman was something I was pretty damn good at, but also something that held me back from realizing my true calling.

Having bought 3 properties for myself as well as one buy and flip that I had partnered on, I had experience in purchasing real estate, just never cash flowing rental real estate, which is a completely different genre of property. While I was excellent at finding these deals and selling them to clients, I put off my own long term investments for down the road when I "had the money".

Now having created my own passive income business and having earned my freedom of time and location, the time to come full circle and put into practice what Bob so desperately was trying to convey a decade ago, is upon me.

The Damn Green Notebook - The Progress Thread Predecessor

I remember so many times coming into Bob’s office for guidance. He would dance around a few ideas, tell me to get out there and shake more hands and then usually refer back to a very similar speech I must had heard a dozen times.

“You know Rick”, he’d begin “when I was 26 years old I bought a notebook” he gestured holding up the green notebook that was always displayed prominently on his desk.

I’d think to myself, “Oh Jesus, not the notebook again”

“When I bought my first property I wrote down the price, the mortgage and the payments I needed to make in order to pay the home off in ten years and I’d record every payment when it was made.” He’d explain excitedly as if it were the first time we’d discussed this.

“I did this for my second, third, fourth, property and so on. In fact, I lived in a tiny little apartment by Greenlake I rented for $90 a month and never moved into a property I owned until I bought my tenth house.” He’d explain with a grin.

I heard this same story so many times that I didn’t know if he was just getting older, repeating stories as many old men do, or how exactly this was going to help me go out and make a sale.

Today I realize that what Bob was trying to say is for me to stop trying to find that sale, stop reaching for the lowest hanging dollar and begin building something. Go out, buy your own damn green notebook, make a plan and execute it. Not a sales plan, a life plan.

It took creating a business that freed my time and energy and gave me the void to fill, but I now realize what my next step in this journey is, in fact it could be nothing else. I wonder if I should head up to Seattle and go sit in Bob’s office just to hear the story one more time for old times sake.

Bob would be happy to know I’m going out in the morning and buying my own green notebook, leveraging all my experience and industry knowledge to find and purchase investment property, beginning a new chapter of wealth building and leveling up from a six figure income to real wealth. I will be keeping track of my progress monthly, both here and in my damn green notebook.

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Update- Sent out a batch of 1,000+ letters today looking for a multi family rental property here in Phoenix! Looking to buy a 4 plex and start building up my own portfolio!

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Great story, thanks for the inspiration. You certainly learned the true meaning of "sweat equity." There are a lot of business concepts out there, but R.E. is one I feel I understand comfortably. I am living with family and saving huge amounts of my income each month so that in the next two years I can purchase my own investment property. I am leaning towards just getting a duplex and renting out one side so that my mortgage is covered plus a little bit for expenses, that way I can have my own little Fastlane Base and keep saving my money for developing second and third income streams. I am thankful to be a veteran and have so many blessings available to me, best of which in this case, the wonders of a V.A. mortgage. For those who aren't familiar, that means no down payment and NO PMI. Like an FHA loan, I have to owner occupy, which is why a duplex makes sense to me, but I have read that the VA will approve property up to a 4-Plex with owner occupancy, so that might also be in the works. I'm also getting very intrigued with mobile homes--will have to do more research on investing there, but it looks like fun.

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
This is indeed a great story. I see what the concept he was trying get you to see. It can be applied to any business. Delayed Gratification that MJ discussed so many times. I definitely plan on getting into rentals very soon. Soon as in late this year. I currently wholesale right now and Im doing that to build up capital for a nice flip then will get a rental or two. Then repeat the process over and over and over.......

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
This is indeed a great story. I see what the concept he was trying get you to see. It can be applied to any business. Delayed Gratification that MJ discussed so many times. I definitely plan on getting into rentals very soon. Soon as in late this year. I currently wholesale right now and Im doing that to build up capital for a nice flip then will get a rental or two. Then repeat the process over and over and over.......

Nice, good luck. I've wholesaled a few homes and did a flip in 2014 that I did pretty well on. Since then I've been a bit hesitant to try and time the market and do another flip but it sure looks like the current regime is going to try and prop up the real estate market for the forseable future. Still I am happy to sit back and start buying just buy and holds only. I have a very stable passive income system set in place which makes me a bit risk adverse I guess, basically a flip doesn't really do much in changing my lifestyle at this point and I have enough time to just amass 5-10 rentals here in the next decade. Wholesaling is a good way to raise capital and flipping can be too, however I have worked with dozens of flippers in the past ten years and even the very best will run into deals that can really wipe out your capital quickly. I think personally if I do take on a flip it will be a quick in and out cosmetic flip with limited upside, but also with limited risk.

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
Nice, good luck. I've wholesaled a few homes and did a flip in 2014 that I did pretty well on. Since then I've been a bit hesitant to try and time the market and do another flip but it sure looks like the current regime is going to try and prop up the real estate market for the forseable future. Still I am happy to sit back and start buying just buy and holds only. I have a very stable passive income system set in place which makes me a bit risk adverse I guess, basically a flip doesn't really do much in changing my lifestyle at this point and I have enough time to just amass 5-10 rentals here in the next decade. Wholesaling is a good way to raise capital and flipping can be too, however I have worked with dozens of flippers in the past ten years and even the very best will run into deals that can really wipe out your capital quickly. I think personally if I do take on a flip it will be a quick in and out cosmetic flip with limited upside, but also with limited risk.

most definitely, and I see what your saying. For the flips that Im going do the most amount of time ill take on the project is 7 weeks at absolute max and the profit has to be near 100k.....In Chicago the deals are that common. Thats why Im mostly wholesaling, even then the good deals are snatched very quickly. Its tough.....but Im determined to make this work. I learned so much wholesaling so that when I am ready to expand more into more flips and rentals I know what to look out for. I definitely need a system to make the whole process fastlane. I love Real Estate and I love Tech with passions for both industries, Im looking to have a very large impact on people's lives. Of course with a fastlane approach to it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.