The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's improve a 4 1/2 Star Product

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
I'm working on exercising the "business idea" part of my brain and would like to analyze and come up with ways to improve this 4 1/2 Star product that's listed on Amazon. (disclaimer I don't plan on getting into the lawn accessory business this is just for the practice unless of course we hit a homerun)

Like most people I can't stand having to use the paper bags most Cities are now requiring for lawn cleanup and have thought about a product like this before. I didn't even know these were on the market until this morning.

So here' the product

Leaf and Lawn chute
by Leaf Easy Industries

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049XT0Y6/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Here are my ideas for improvement.

1. Must change the funnel part, add a fourth side and increase strength
2. must be made with 4 sides, this would allow the user to compress the leafs without tearing the paper bag
3. increase overall durability
4. needs to be able to fold up for easy storage, it already folds but it's because it only has 3 sides. I would use velcro on one or two of the sides.

or

5. Design a better bag that stands on it's own

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
I'm working on exercising the "business idea" part of my brain and would like to analyze and come up with ways to improve this 4 1/2 Star product that's listed on Amazon. (disclaimer I don't plan on getting into the lawn accessory business this is just for the practice unless of course we hit a homerun)

Like most people I can't stand having to use the paper bags most Cities are now requiring for lawn cleanup and have thought about a product like this before. I didn't even know these were on the market until this morning.

So here' the product

Leaf and Lawn chute
by Leaf Easy Industries

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049XT0Y6/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Here are my ideas for improvement.

1. Must change the funnel part, add a fourth side and increase strength
2. must be made with 4 sides, this would allow the user to compress the leafs without tearing the paper bag
3. increase overall durability
4. needs to be able to fold up for easy storage, it already folds but it's because it only has 3 sides. I would use velcro on one or two of the sides.

or

5. Design a better bag that stands on it's own

Thoughts?
Not wanting to be negative but I use this a lot and have a broken one in the back of my truck. In fact it's actually cheaper in Canada which must be a first!

The simplicity of it makes it a winner and I would think is hard to improve on. You insert the folded piece in the bag the unfold and pull the top to create the chute/back. Having a 4th side would make it bulkier, harder to get in the bag, the leaves compact themselves.

Why did mine break? Something heavy was on top, -20 outside and I yanked it and it broke...

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
Not wanting to be negative but I use this a lot and have a broken one in the back of my truck. In fact it's actually cheaper in Canada which must be a first!

The simplicity of it makes it a winner and I would think is hard to improve on. You insert the folded piece in the bag the unfold and pull the top to create the chute/back. Having a 4th side would make it bulkier, harder to get in the bag, the leaves compact themselves.

Why did mine break? Something heavy was on top, -20 outside and I yanked it and it broke...

Good point about inserting it into the bag then unfolding it once it's in the bag. So I guess I would ditch the velco and just design the way it folds and unfolds in such a way that there would still be 4 sides. Yes leaves compact themselves but the biggest problem I've had with paper bags it sticks tearing them apart. Maybe I'm too lazy to break up the sticks before jamming them in the bag.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.