The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let’s be real: If you're over 35, you don't have a chance.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Let’s be real, can you make it when your past 35? Now I KNOW what more then the majority of this site will say. “Of course you can! There are so many examples! You can do anything you set your mind to!”

The reality is that one’s youth is HIGHLY HIGHLY influential in the direction of one’s life. Take a guy who got bullied since pre school. He will grow up thinking he is unlovable. This will cause him to not try in anything. This will then further reinforce his low value even further creating a downward spiral. Can he fix this? Of course. And many have. But some won’t. And those that didn’t receive that negative feedback will have a major advantage.

The same with any skill. If you are 6’7 and want to join the NBA at 31 you have no shot. The guy who was 6’7 and wanted to join the NBA since 7 will outclass you 10000%.

I think the same could be with entrepreneurship or with anything. The younger you are the more positive reference experience you will get which will further reinforce your level of output and energy to get the result. The upward spiral of awesomeness. The opposite holds true as well.

Let’s be honest. How many that start (key word start) at 35 actually make it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
I think that leaving the Script is not something only elite can do. Your examples seem to imply that "making it" is only for highly gifted people (NBA? Of course at 35 you have no chance!).

You have no idea how much my life changed in the last few years: I HAD to work every day, if I didn't work I did not earn.

In August I'll be on holiday for 20 days, and for the first time in my life I'll be earning more than what I spend while cruising, staying on beaches and enjoying life with my wife. With 0 hours of work (ok, maybe not really 0, but you get the point).

I'm also extremely prudent, and believe me when I say I'm no superhero.

Oh, and I'm 44.

But getting out of the script? I think it's for many of us. I KNOW it.
Maybe you won't be the next Jeff Bezos, but you will be able bring freedom in your life.

If that's your goal, of course. Or maybe it isn't?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Let’s be real, can you make it when your past 35? Now I KNOW what more then the majority of this site will say. “Of course you can! There are so many examples! You can do anything you set your mind to!”
The reality is that one’s youth is HIGHLY HIGHLY influential in the direction of one’s life. Take a guy who got bullied since pre school. He will grow up thinking he is unlovable. This will cause him to not try in anything. This will then further reinforce his low value even further creating a downward spiral. Can he fix this? Of course. And many have. But some won’t. And those that didn’t receive that negative feedback will have a major advantage.
The same with any skill. If you are 6’7 and want to join the nba at 31 you have no shot. The guy who was 6’7 and wanted to join the nba since 7 will outclass you 10000%.
I think the same could be with entrepreneurship or with anything. The younger you are the more positive reference experience you will get which will further reinforce your level of output and energy to get the result. The upward spiral of awesomeness. The opposite holds true as well.

My perception is you can afford to dream big and take more risk when you are in the 20s.

When you are in the 30s. You have to perform. You cannot try fanciful ideas and hope somehow they will work out. You have to be very honest on your personal strength and weakness. In short you must do things that can IMMEDIATELY give you a cash return. I am not saying you should work 9-5 I am saying you should be focusing on training and developing what has been working for you.

30-40 is usually the phase that separate the successful and the rest, with the exception of very few early boomers who got rich before 30.

By the time you reach 40 if you only have a cv of multiple start up ventures with zero cash in bank you are basically fuked. Sorry that is the truth. If you do not believe me just go and talk to the middle aged Uber drivers many were once business owners.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
By the time you reach 40 if you only have a cv of multiple start up ventures with zero cash in bank you are basically fuked. Sorry that is the truth. If you do not believe me just go and talk to the middle aged Uber drivers many were once business owners.

What a load of shit :rofl: You have a hell of a lot of work to do on your limiting beliefs that you continue to share on this forum.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The same with any skill. If you are 6’7 and want to join the nba at 31 you have no shot. The guy who was 6’7 and wanted to join the nba since 7 will outclass you 10000%.

Just from my observations in life, most people really don't start building wealth until about their mid-life after their children are graduated from high school, which typically does start around the age 35-40 and they can focus on their careers and not their children so much.

People have become successful at different times. You have your early bloomers and your later bloomers. I believe they may even switch places at times.

As a nurse aide, I've watched all the social classes rise and fall.

Most people believe, "They Can't" because people who believe "They can't" tell them "They can't", and you end up with a lot of people saying, "I can't" and making u a millions excuses "Why I can't because....of this?"

Which comes to the question, "How bad do you want it?"

What will you do to get there?
What will you sacrifice to get there?
What will you do differently to get there?

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think you should just take "I can't" right out of your vocabulary.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
What a load of shit :rofl: You have a hell of a lot of work to do on your limiting beliefs that you continue to share on this forum.
I believe in being positive for sure. But I also believe in not being delusional.

Most people do business to better their lives, not to change the world. So basically if someone is 40, has no money but only a wealth of entrepreneurship experience he has basically sacrificed himself for a cause.

This is different from someone who has worked on a slow-lane job for 15 years, saved up a decent size of money, and decides to risk a portion of it in a business to improve his life to shift himself to the fastlane.

What I am saying is if you spent your youth from 25-40 chasing the entrepreneurship dream with no result (which means no money) that is as good as being fuked.

Hence I advocate shifting gear when you reach 30s.
-Never join a new industry that you have no experience
-Never participate in a business model that generates no immediately cash (so that you can give up bad ideas quickly)
-Make sure you are in a space that amplify your strength and experience
- Save your money and do not reinvest all profit back to your business

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Most people do Hence I advocate shifting gear when you reach 30s.
-Never participate in a business model that generates no immediately cash (so that you can give up bad ideas quickly)

Why should I listen to your terrible advice if you have failed and aren’t in a position to preach?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I believe in being positive for sure. But I also believe in not being delusional.

Most people do business to better their lives, not to change the world. So basically if someone is 40, has no money but only a wealth of entrepreneurship experience he has basically sacrificed himself for a cause.

This is different from someone who has worked on a slow-lane job for 15 years, saved up a decent size of money, and decides to risk a portion of it in a business to improve his life to shift himself to the fastlane.

What I am saying is if you spent your youth from 25-40 chasing the entrepreneurship dream with no result (which means no money) that is as good as being fuked.

Hence I advocate shifting gear when you reach 30s.

I donno what to say other than post this link to a job site and wish you well.

Best yet I should just not reply to anything like this, or the other shit posts on the forum.

Which I have a bad habit of doing...

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
@Brian Suh You are such a drama Queen. The only posts you have started are all about how sh*tty your life is.

This is a forum for business advices. Put people up when they are down. Inspire each other. Talking honesly about failures and earn respect for that. Help people if they don't find a way out.

But in your case.

You just need attention. You need the conformation how hard the life is. You need people who tell you are right.

Let's be honest. Even if you were 25 you would find reasons why something cant work. Or let's say it more directly: it is just the attention w*ore syndrome.

It is all about you and your difficult situation you believe you have. You are not willing to change something. You are not looking for good advices which could help you.

Have you even tried to work on something?

You disrespect the people who created something with success because you are the same kind of person who points with the finger on others and say: He is successful because he is tall...he is good looking...he has a huge d*ck or what ever reason you will find to make yourself feel better.

Get your sh*t done dont waste time of good-minded people who try to help you. If you don't want to help yourself. Nobody can do it.

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019

Your beliefs guide your actions.

You have the belief that you can't do it, but you feel somewhat guilty about it, that's why you ask in this forum, to receive approval of your belief and follow your scripted path with your calm conscience based on your belief that "it is impossible to from 35 years "

But reality is not like that, age is just an excuse. I started after that age.

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
If you don’t try, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Of course at 20 you can take more risks, but at 35 you have more experience. You have worked for about 15-20, so you are better at spotting unsolved need than younger people. You could have more money than younger entrepreneurs to invest in starting a business, and this is not irrelevant.

What Im trying to say is that age is like every other things: it has some good things and some bad things, take advantage of the formers

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Why should I listen to your terrible advice if you have failed and aren’t in a position to preach?
You don't have to. I am simply stating what I believe in based on my observation. And I might not be necessarily correct.

What I said might not apply to people with bigger risk tolerance. Some people like go big or go home.

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
You're right, you can't do it. You can stop now with all your entrepreneur ambition because there is no need for you to continue being discontent. Your idea of success makes it difficult for you to be content.

For me, my only criteria for success in entrepreneurship is the number of people I have helped with a product or service. I am working on growing a chiropractic clinic, and it hasn't been easy. If all I did was focus on making money, learning all the marketing techniques, etc...

Then I would have given up a long time ago. Yes, I am also working on business ventures to make money, to have financial freedom, and whatever. I won't lie to you. But that is why I also hustle on the side, working as a nurse and studying to become a nurse practitioner. I hustle so that I can keep the business focus primarily on helping people. My life is definitely more busier the moment I decided to become an entrepreneur. Yet my life feels more liberating than ever.

Nothing beats knowing that there are (1) endless of opportunities out there to help people and your job is to find a problem to solve, (2) put a price tag on the solution, and (3) use the appropriate marketing strategies to get the solution in front of the right people that need it so they'll throw money at you.

But that's okay, you should give up now. Once you give up, ask yourself how you can help someone. Then your entrepreneurship begins.

Ilya C

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 6, 2019
How many that start (key word start) at 35 actually make it?

Think about it this way. What is it exactly that you will change in your life, depending on the answer to that question? If you are going to change nothing, there is no point in asking.

Secondly, there are people who were born into billionaire's families. Does this fact restrict you from starting a business? If not, why? They were worth a billion more than you are if you start at zero.

Anyway, if you don't start (and keep) going you'll never arrive.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
The market does not care about your age. It cares about the product/service you bring to the table.

I'll just leave this here:

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
LOL. The posts here are very funny, and sad. I CLEARLY stated that I am not making excuses. I am 23 not 35.
Let me explain AGAIN for the idiots. If you are 35 and are scripted your whole life do you think one moment will undo 35 years of bad habits and conditioning? This is as if someone who just started hitting the gym at 35 will be in the same shape as someone who has been hitting the gym hard at 12. By the time the guy is 25 he will have a better body then the guy at 35 even if he turns 55 and works out 20 years.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
LOL. The posts here are very funny, and sad. I CLEARLY stated that I am not making excuses. I am 23 not 35.
Let me explain AGAIN for the idiots. If you are 35 and are scripted your whole life do you think one moment will undo 35 years of bad habits and conditioning? This is as if someone who just started hitting the gym at 35 will be in the same shape as someone who has been hitting the gym hard at 12. By the time the guy is 25 he will have a better body then the guy at 35 even if he turns 55 and works out 20 years.
Look around you. How many people who species to make a switch ACTUALLY change? Most people have HUGE egos and won’t admit to themselves they wasted 35 years of their life on wrong beliefs.

Kusneak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 20, 2019
Black Forrest Germany
Its about you, not the other people. You decide what you do. You cant change other people and why you even care about them. They have decided to be what they are. Day by day with every single desicion. And "successfull" people are rich, free... because they choose the "right" desicions.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
My uncle lives in a :

* "third world country"
* Super crappy economy
*Big tribes can wipe your business (if they need to, they run the government)
* worked at a 18 hour day job
* made below minimum wage (no overtime, 18 hour was standard)
* Had 5 kids and a wife

He then started importing and selling.
Now he's one of the big ballers in his industry.

You have to be in a shittier situation to validate your post. Otherwise it's all excuses and there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe you're not ready.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Dude. It's not cool to call people who are trying to help you idiots. Even if they're stating that your mindset needs a change.

Business is not like going to the gym. Or trainning for the marathon. It has many similarities but it isn't the same.

You can start at 55 with the right mindset and the correct methodology (CENTS) and become richer in 2 years than someone who doesn't and started at 16.

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019

This is ridiculous.

With 35 you may have gained an experience, knowledge, contacts, capital, ideas, validations, etc. that can position you better than if you were 20. I'm not saying it's better to start with 35 than with 20, I say it depends on the person not the age.

And so it is in sport, curiously the people in my environment that are fittest are those that have started in their 40s, because they take it more seriously and have more perseverance.

Age is an excuse.
Your beliefs limit you.

But hey friend, I don't try to convince you, I started after 35 and the process is underway. Don't start if you don't want to, cheat yourself and have a clear conscience, ... I only hope that within 50 years on your deathbed you will not regret what you did not do.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Really??

You are using age to compare a person trying to get into the NBA to a person trying to start business. The NBA requires physical exertion So when you match up against younger people an old person will not have a chance due to age.

Business is all about your brain. It has nothing to do with age. You are just making excuses again.

Most people who were on this forum 10 years ago did not even think about starting a business until they were way past 35.

So if you want us to be real with you, I don’t think you have a shot in business. And it’s not due to your age it’s due to your mentality.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.