• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

Learnings from 700+ PMs with fellow forum members

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by Andy Black, Mar 21, 2016.

1. LynetteP

LynetteP Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $232
    Andy, a sincere thank you for this post. I have been trying to figure out how to get out of my own way to accomplish what I want for my kids' sake, but have always struggled with dealing with day-to-day management of, well, anything. I get bored if I don't have a new problem to solve, but how selfish of me!

I have spent a long time trying to figure out why I can't get things done myself, but after reading Traction by Wickman, I finally understand. I'm the 3% of the people who are visionary, and I need what is called the integrator to make stuff go beyond a certain point. Apparently I'm not unusual for my type, lol. So I'm done beating myself up for not getting things done. And I'm done listening to people who say I should be able to do everything myself- I've tried and failed, and know it just doesn't work for me. Doing the same thing over again and expecting different results truly is insanity.

Intuitively I knew all this was true before reading Traction. I found a guy months ago through LinkedIn who owns an engineering/small manufacturing firm who has agreed to partner with me for my products, and I just figured out last week to get the capital from crowdfunding (duh).

His company can engineer the product design details, make the stuff (until orders are sufficient to move manufacturing to his China partners), manage the day-to-day, and fulfill orders until there are too many. Crowdfunding gives instant customers and shows traction to the retailers so I don't have to really sell the product to the big boxes, it will sell itself (I would hope). I'm a marketing person, but not really a salesperson because I stumble over finding the right words to communicate ideas (common for visionaries). This is such a problem, I'm now reading Pitch Anything. I hope it helps, because I really want my stuff in the big boxes and not just Amazon.

I would love to know if you have any suggestions or comments on my attempt at a solution for someone like me, who gets 10 new ideas each day, but would literally rather have teeth pulled than do paperwork. I do believe genes can get in the way of things- my son is so bored in first grade (he's nearly 4th grade in math) he is literally in tears and the school hasn't fixed anything in 5 months of me hounding them/giving suggestions/asking the previous teacher to help/getting the principal involved. So we are changing schools in the fall.

Again thank you for this thread- I will now more fully consider what part selfishness has in "what I like, what skills I have, the things I don't know, the courses I need to take, overcoming procrastination, overcoming perfectionism, how to manage time, how to stay motivated, (and) how to find an accountability group." I don't think it's always pure selfishness, but it can certainly play a big role if you let it, and I don't want it to define me, regardless of the way my brain is wired.

Sorry for the non-linearness of this post- it's typical for me! LOL.

Andy Black likes this.
  2. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $149,860
    I have lots of ideas every day too. If one keeps coming up then I add it to a Trello list of “Biz ideas on hold”. This allows me to stay focused on a few things I’m working on. Those things are all related to each other though. They’re all different legs to the same stool.

It’s hard to get traction if we don’t keep going with the same thing(s). The good stuff happens when get really deep into a niche.

Entrepreneurs see opportunities everywhere. That needs to be harnessed lest we spin our wheels.

For me, providing the same service to clients in different verticals gives me variety while still applying the same skills and experience.

Figure out how to “grow what you know” and keep stacking your skills and experience on top of each other?

Try to build a high ground rather than keep moving to what seems like greener pastures?

BTW ... everything is a moot point if we can’t make sales. I’m not into physical product design so can’t advise on your chosen route. I’d want to start with baby steps probably.

Personally, I’d steer clear of anything I couldn’t create and sell within 7 days. Dan Norris calls this “product-founder fit”. Does it fit *you* to be selling this product or service? Do you have the skills, experience, and resources to pull it off?

MJ DeMarco and LynetteP like this.
  3. LynetteP

LynetteP Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $232
    Likewise- I put all my ideas in Omnifocus, so I can review them later.
    It's not that I'm changing all the time to look for greener pastures, rather I don't have the ability to manage shipping orders. Product/Founder fit, as you say. I've done it and hated it with a passion, but "the they-sayers say" you should be able to do this until you can hire someone, and that's been my bottleneck. I finally decided I'd rather pay someone to do it from the get-go, and take a hit on the short-term profitability. Otherwise I will be miserable, lol. So I'm looking at outsourcing it to Amazon.

I am reading the "Ask me anything about eCommerce" thread right now- I'm still a bit nervous to order from suppliers in China (and let Amazon fulfill) but maybe I will be comfy enough after I finish (I'm on page 13 of 59, lol). For complicated things, I think I will stick with the engineering firm. I'm probably going to stick with him and pay him to arrange China suppliers too, which I believe people will advise me against, but that's not my strength or interest if I end up with 100+ products anyway. I believe I'll create more value by creating products, rather than trying to learn everything about sourcing. I think I just want to know enough to ask good questions. If it ends up not being a good value, I can change it.

My products are mostly for household use, with the demographic I'm most familiar with- moms with school-age kids. I know my target customers well. I have been in ready-aim, ready-aim mode for too long.

LOL and now I'm stumped! How on earth would a person create and sell something within 7 days? Selling I can see within a day, but creating a product? Ready to ship? Even a digital product I'm having trouble imagining this unless it's an add-on to an existing website or platform... please enlighten me! :D Thanks for your insight!

4. ToddD

ToddD New Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $101
    This is exactly what I sent you when I replied to your PM!

Definitely something I need to overcome, so I'm just going to start replying on every page I read and get value from.

Thanks so much Andy for all your wisdom. I've been soaking up so much of your insights over the last weekend. And now I'm clearer on finding those around me to help out - not over complicating it!

Andy Black likes this.
  5. Danny reds

Danny reds Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $169

Andy Black likes this.
  6. W0rkb3nch

W0rkb3nch New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $57
    What a great curation of posts presented with excellent context. Thank you for sharing this.

Andy Black likes this.