• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your income—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

Learnings from 700+ PMs with fellow forum members

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by Andy Black, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $136,575
    Here's a post along the same lines:

Iammelissamoore and Razz like this.
  2. jeli1st

jeli1st New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $73
    Thank you for this truly awesome thread, Andy Black!
    There is so much to learn from you!

Iammelissamoore and Andy Black like this.
  3. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $136,575
    Bump.

A few people wondering how to start.

It's very simple - if they would just get out of their own way and stop over-thinking.

(Over-thinking - the art of solving problems you don't have.)

4. Vectra1

Vectra1 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $529
    This is so true in so many aspects of life. Why do people try to over complicate things?

This is a very difficult habit to break and we are all guilty of this most of the time.

In my line of work unfortunately most people over complicate a multitude of things to look or sound intelligent or to actually try and look like they know what they are doing and unfortunately with devastating consequences.

In my line of work clear SIMPLE communication is vital and without clear SIMPLE communication the consequences can be fatal.

My advice to all the complicated people that cross my path is keep it SIMPLE not everyone that crosses your path today or tomorrow will understand what you are trying to say or what you are trying to achieve.

Make sure you understand something to the point you CAN make it sound SIMPLE. Keep it SIMPLE, so a child can understand it.

I know this is not quite the same as what you are saying @Andy Black but I believe this lends its self to that or its at least a good place to start.

Thanks for the PM yesterday @Andy Black, I enjoyed our chat, you are a true gent, keep spreading the love ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  5. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $136,575
    ^^^ 100%

Here's a video on this subject that I did:

fumune likes this.
  6. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $136,575
    Bump again.

If you're new to the forum, maybe you see yourself in the opening post? Or maybe it will help you to better understand many of the people in the forum.

#nowhere likes this.
  7. UncleIroh

UncleIroh 1079252849 kph Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $681
    Thanks for posting this, Andy.

I really enjoyed the video that you tell the story about you helping your friend.

Where is the place you show in your videos? Looks beautiful and relaxing.

I wanted to share some quotes said by Uncle Iroh, my avatar, who is my favorite fictional character. He just goes out of the line to help other people.

"Sometimes the best way to solve your own problems is to help someone else."

"Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel, you can’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place."

"[...]It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale[...]"

"Prince Zuko, pride is not the opposite of shame, but it’s source. True humility is the only antidote to shame."

"While it is always best to believe in one’s self, a little help from others can be a great blessing."

"You know, Prince Zuko, destiny is a funny thing. You never know how things are going to work out. But if you keep an open mind and an open heart, I promise you will find your own destiny someday."

"It’s time for you to look inward and start asking yourself the big question: who are you and what do YOU want?" (This one really changed me, I would ask all myself this every day)

"There is nothing wrong with letting people who love you, help you. Not that I love you. I just met you"

"Even in the material world, you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see."

It's just crazy how good this "kids" show is.

You reminded me of Uncle Iroh.

My goal in life is to become someone like him.

Roz, NFT, Michael Moore and 5 others like this.
  8. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $136,575
    Love these quotes, and thanks for the kind words. High praise indeed.

9. Waspy

Waspy Float like a butterfly Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,022
    This thread made me chuckle when I realised what I said in my first message to you.

Everyone has something to offer.

Thanks for the thread!

Andy Black likes this.
  10. DifficultTruth

DifficultTruth Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $228
    Fantastic thread Andy,

A ton of good information, loving the videos. I am absolutely struggling to stop over-thinking. I definitely need to just focus on execution. Also going to make a conscious effort to look at everything I do and ask myself, "How can I add value to this?"

Thank you!

Andy Black likes this.
  11. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $136,575
  12. Michael Moore

Michael Moore Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $41
    If you are struggling with teaching or breaking things down or making things very clear but simple then I suggest you find a local club sports or coding or whatever and offer to teach older members of the public to code or kids how to play sports.

Everything complicated goes out the window including big words and your ego as you have to understand very quickly to whom you are speaking and trying to get the message across too or the consequences are dire.

A kid who cannot score a basket a pensioner who gave a donation to an Algerian prince for instance ;-)

Do not take yourself too seriously and remember to have fun.
    In the end none of us are getting out of here alive ........ so enjoy.

Andy Black likes this.
  13. Mckenzie

Mckenzie Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $186
    THANK YOU ANDY!!!!!....As I'm typing this, I could feel the fears in me starting to melt down.

Andy Black likes this.
  14. pfalcomer

pfalcomer Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $374
    Thank you for this post Andy. You really hit the nail on the head about what it is that holds so many people back from just starting. I recently had a major mind shift regarding the process of getting started. I understand clearly now what MJ means in the book when he states solve problems first then the money will come. For a long time I've spent so much time thinking about how to make money and inevitably this leads to "paralysis by analysis" - what if it doesn't work, what if they don't like my idea etc. Sitting in the car with the engine on but not pressing the gas!

I've got family in Italy (My Father's side is Italian) and I keep in touch with my older cousin frequently asking how my aunts and uncles and extended family are doing. My cousin owns a few large franchises which import, sell and service American made cars in Italy. From sports coupes to SUV's to restored classics. In passing in one of our conversations he told me he was revamping his website and adding the option to view it in English as well as Italian. I mentioned to him that if he ever needs me to help with any translation from English to Italian or vice versa I would be more than happy to do it for him. Here is the mind shift - I was merely trying to help him and not expecting anything in return. We started out with his marketing department sending me single page in Word which I translated for him. He was pleased and sent me another page the following day. This took all of thirty minutes for me to do. Then... I get an email from him asking me going forward how much it would cost if I could do this for him on a regular basis! Value creation!

I went online, looked at a few translation websites and their prices and made a simple price list based on price per word or price per page. I made my rates slightly lower than the average price offered. I was then faced with the issue of how to get paid. Living in South Africa, international transfers can take awhile to get here and even using a linked PayPal account there are costs involved that eat away any profits you make (and I hate the idea of a PayPal account linked to my bank account - too dangerous). So I went online and did some research and found out about Payoneer. I can accept payments from anywhere and anyone, I get a linked debit card that I can use to buy or draw cash as I need and the costs for transferring to my bank account are lower than PayPal and it only takes 1-3 working days.

So the process for me looked like this: provide value - service / job created - payment solution - both parties happy!

I've been doing this work now for over a month and it's outside of my normal web development work. I would even dare to refer to it as a "side hustle", it doesn't bring in millions but the money that does come in covers all my expenses and the weaker my currency gets, the more I earn. My cousin has also referred me to some friends of his and I've gotten more and more jobs. I'm in the process of setting up a simple Italian website that he can recommend to anyone in Italy that's looking for online translations that outlines my prices, how to pay and expected turn around time. It's by no means Fastlane as the work is still tied to my time but I now look at things completely differently in terms of value creation and subsequent wealth creation.

As MJ mentions in the book, there are everyday problems everywhere that need solving, we just need to look. Solve one person's problem, you have validation. Solve a million people's problems and you have massive wealth creation.

I hope this post helps someone else experience the same shift I did.

Thanks again to Andy for this post and Thank You MJ for this forum and all the golden nuggets you leave us online and in the book.

Andy Black and GSF like this.
  15. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $136,575
    Fantastic story, thanks for sharing.

It reminds me yet again of my favourite business quote from Mother Theresa of all people:

"Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person closest to you."

Kingmaker and pfalcomer like this.
  16. NFT

NFT Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $138
    Wise words, thanks for sharing :) I myself often over-complicate things, but it can be so easy

Andy Black likes this.
  17. NFT

Rep Bank:
    $138
    Same here... but I slowly start to improve ^^ slowly but surely

Andy Black likes this.
  18. NFT

Rep Bank:
    $138
    Inspiring, thanks for posting this. Was one of my favourite shows :)

Andy Black likes this.
  19. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $136,575
    I should change the title to 1,500+ PMs now.

Also... now that I'm venturing out there into www land (the Wider Wild West)... this is soooo common.

My goodness but are people all tangled up thinking about themselves, what they like, what skills they have, the things they don't know, the courses they need to take, overcoming procrastination, overcoming perfectionism, how to manage time, how to stay motivated, how to find an accountability group, blah, blah, blah.

Wow. Seriously wow.

Am I missing something?

Is getting started really as simple as just putting others first?

Kingmaker and Iammelissamoore like this.
  20. RogueInnovation

RogueInnovation Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,515
    Yeah, become dynamic and a liittle "sticky" rather than "too polite"
    You just do it very lightly and with positivity
    Having a bit of "stick" helps with sales and getting to know your audience

Think of it like tires getting traction on the road, you want those tires warm, so they can help you hug those curves better.

... regarding be selfless...
    It gets complicated, but I think initially that is the go to plan you want to adopt in order to get away from the "me me me" trap which drowns you in self doubt (will you ask "do I deserve this" if you are sacrificing to help others?).
    Later on the selfless thing can be tricky because you can build an ego around THINKING you help people more than you do, but in reality most people in business are just not thinking of you and utilising you as a tool to get something done without thinking about it. So in that sense you become a medium for greater efficiency, which helps grease the wheels of society, but you aren't santa claus. And you shouldn't need to be oprah; handing out cars and tvs. You then need to accept a role as a producer or as a ligtning rod, or whatever role you have.

Even if you are an innovator like Nicola Tesla, your inventions won't necessarily be appreciated or anything. No one is going to worship you, because the calculation in using products is a very cold one. People respect competancy, so if you are competant and generous, you can be half santa claus, but you'll never be fully him.

It is hard to get into business, but I think a lot of that has to do with how we put it on a pedestal. We don't feel motivated to be a cog in a wheel, so we are like "why do I care about business, I want to spend less time doing that", and then that lack of motivation forces us to think "oh but I need money therefor business is everything I need". If you put things on a pedestal because you LACK inherent motivation, you wind up squeezing out the opportunity you have to find REAL motivators. Being selfless helps you re-inject real motivators, and real motivations lead to realistic expectations, and so you can function.

My point is "real motivation" turns into "real action"
    But the forced idea that you must do something causes paralysis

It is the difference between creating harmony in what you do, or creating chaos
    If you create harmony, even boring things become interesting
    If you create chaos, things you love will bore you

So create harmony, real motivation etc, and it will protect you from setting up bad expectations

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Iammelissamoore and Andy Black like this.
  21. Aaron T

Aaron T Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,400
    @Andy Black Just gonna say it. You live what you say. Simple. Effective. Helpful.

Keep it up. You are providing a role model a curmudgeon like me can learn from.

Andy Black likes this.
  22. P Stiller

P Stiller New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $306
    Especially the past year I have had people around me tell me how I complicate things so much and don't give myself enough credit......I guess this is me trying to be as honest as possible and the BEST at what I do.....I always feel like when I'm with a client that all the people I look to for advice are watching me......what would they say if we're watching me I think......

Which doesn't make sense because in fitness (I'm a trainer) I teach people the need to fail in order to gain strength.....It's so hard to be the best because there is literally no one answer for most of the stuff we do while training so it's extremely hard to be "right" all the time/best.

Im easily my own worst enemy.....but I was trying to live up to my beliefs of being who you are....being absolutely honest.....and I truly believed for years I was right....I felt that believing in what I have for years and then doing something different would make me "fake" or dishonest with MYSELF.

I actually feel I do add value to forum because every word I say or type is pure and honest and I do not want anything from anybody by changing the words from my true feelings into different words I type.......I have rarely in life met someone that I could have a HONEST conversation with, one where the person says whatever is inside them instead of what SOUNDS best out loud in the conversation.

I do help others and I'm told how I do it to much by a few when talking....I give away so much free time in my sessions by not ending until we "get it done"......but I also do need to pick and choose who I ATTEMPT to try and help...with my service at least because so many times I get responded to in a mean way by people not wanting to accept that they are doing something safely......I can hear responses to that already......different approaches might help that.

Never been a big thanker....Not many people have ever done for me it's always coming to me when in need.......I have had very few friends in life but many acquaintances. If my phone rings it's because somebody needs something......I have almost nothing in common with almost everybody I know.

I've always wanted to be wealthy so I could donate to animal shelters and do more for nature.....I click every single night the free click to help animals.....always would to help them more than any other charity......reading the end of this post made me type that if wondering where that came from.

Who will I thank today?
    I had to stop my response to this and email the woman I lost recently telling her how the more I learn the more I see she was right......literally everything she would say was right when I was doing things my way because I believed in them so much.....thought was better......the more I learn the more I want her to know how thankful I am and proud of her for being so smart....problem is knowing isn't enough....I want to give her back all the time I wasted by standing beside me. Somehow trade my life now so she doesn't have to suffer working her monotonous work life.

I did for years what I wanted instead of what she did thinking she might doubt it now but will look back happy later.....I truly believed my way was better........regret is like burning in hell every day.

Sorry if got off track just writing what comes to mind as read the post.

Andy Black and Aaron T like this.
  23. Florian

Florian Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $26
    Thank you Andy for giving me what I need - not what I want :)
    As requested ;)

My homework:
    My single biggest takeaway:
    Helping your fellow human beings to get started in business

What I've done already:
    After helping my mother for 1,5h in the flat I've found a first possible need: Help connecting good doctors with patients who really need them.
    1/3

astr0 and Andy Black like this.
  24. Bhanu

Bhanu Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $121
    Thank you Andy ...great thread.
    Learnt something vital today :Help Others !!

Thanks Again.

Andy Black likes this.
  25. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $136,575
    And start simple by giving thanks.

Well done. ;-)

NFT and Bhanu like this.