The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning to Drive Traffic

G

Guest92dX

Hi Everyone,

I just joined. I found this forum in 2014 after college. During college, I thought that I didn't want to work a job. I even tried to switch to Computer Science to have a more marketable degree with a skill that I could own and use for life. Well, life didn't work out as planned. It's fine though. Everything happens for a reason.

Since 2014, I've worked 2 really crappy jobs and have had inconsistent work. In 2016 or early 2017, I told a mentor and friend that I would never work another job again. The job market is a lottery just like the mega millions. Securing a corporate job without an internship or previous skills and work is just not feasible.

The jobs I worked weren't corporate positions at all and totally unrelated to each other so they were screwing up my resume even more.

It took probably 1k or 2k job applications for me to figure this out, and most of that time I was only applying for jobs like customer service, sales, business development, and other general skill jobs. Maybe I'm terrible at interviewing, maybe I can't write a resume, maybe I'm not qualified for anything, what is true is that this isn't place where you guys care about that stuff. This is place to carve out your own path. I'm here to do that.

What did I do from 2014 to 2017 besides apply to jobs?

I researched business ideas. I researched and researched and researched. I also took a small amount of action. I was so naive to a lot of things. Here's what I did:

first failure ever: I tried to sell a terrible provisional patent from reading the stuff in the 4 hour work week. I didn't even use a lawyer. Huge mistake and will never do that again or even try to sell anything but a full patent. I received bad information because it was incomplete.

Second mistake with huge progress
: I tried pre-selling a used book indeing application for used bookstores. This is an amazing idea, but the main problem with the idea is that used bookstores don't really have a lot of money. Think of the idea as crowdsourced book searching.

Would I try this idea again? Most definitely because I know better techniques for testing now that I didn't know before and am currently learning.

What did I do? I cold-called 125 used bookstores. 3 were interested and no one wanted to buy. The problem is that this mobile and web application would need a lot of traffic to make it worthwhile. It's still worth testing again though because it wasn't tested right.

I just personally hate every solution for searching used bookstores for out-of-print and hard to find books.

Third failure and gladly: I kept looking for a specific type of sports drink that wasn't currently on market. So, I tried making the drink in my home. I'm an average cook so I thought I could create it. Boy was I wrong. I quit this before I got too far. $100 went down the drain in product. It was definitely worth learning that my startup costs even with a fully managed and outsourced production would be hard to get into retailers.

Will I revisit this idea? Definitely. If you figure out a way to sell water/drink to someone then you're an instant millionaire. I just don't have $$$$ (read thousands) to burn on this even it's proven.

1 year later a competitor popped up in the market. :(

Fourth failure with some success: This time I started thinking how can I do something that would be easy to get done and would allow me to make money. Read easy to do as something that's easy to setup and easy to market.

I found a niche in an industry I was interested in and reading about and partnered with a small startup growing in the space and ecpanding internationally.

Note: this is for consulting if you're wondering.

Where was the catch here? The startup founder didn't really market me to his email list that heavily even though we offered complimentary services. Maybe I didn't create a decent enough website. I got my first potential customer.

What did I learn? The guy had already bought services like mine from people on Upwork. He used a "resume" as his decision factor instead of an outcome based approach. He paid someone $1k to get the same services I was offering at $3k - $5k with fees contingent on success. It was clear he didn't understand the information even though he said he did that with someone on Upwork.

The cheapest leads I could find started at like $1k to buy decent leads to cold call for any industry that don't bounce on email and actually connect to a working phone. This doesn't even account for travel costs.

He also mentions that he and like 5 of his friends had tried it before. It sounds like a good opportunity right? No way. He wouldn't refer me to any of his friends, and it was definitely a market that needed way too much educating.

Fifth failure and lessons learned with more progress:

I tried to build on each lesson I learned from previous failures and it paid off a slightly. I got my first email signups and had a list going, which is boss. Before I started trying to sell, I did more research and found out that my product had too many issues that were out of my control.

The first issue was that it was in a legal gray area, which I didn't know. The second issue was that the market was scorched earth territory. So many businesses had come through and imploded upon impact with bad services that they left a bad taste in the customer's mouth's.

No good.

It was better to scrap the project even though I was getting signups to market to because it wasn't a business that could even grow in my state. The largest business in the area had like 5k customers signed up nationwide, but they were charging on a percentage of transaction and not subscription, which means you need way more than that. The closest to them was at 1500 nationwide and definitely can't support their model. I wanted to get to 300 in my state but there's no way that it is happening if these guys can't get tons of clients nationwide.

Cold calling potential customers confirmed that they didn't really like or trust businesses serving this need.

Too bad.

What not to do:
  • don't sell a patent or even a provisional patent no wants it.
  • don't choose a bad market
  • don't start something where you have to heavily educate your potential customers
  • don't pick something in a regulated market.
What to do:
  • test your idea as best as you can
  • choose a market that can afford your services or products
  • choose an idea that fits your budget
  • stick to proven markets mostly
  • do something where you can pre-sell
Also, in 2017, I've started taking a lot more action. I realized that taking action isn't as scary as you may think it is. I'm busting a$$ on testing my 7th idea and plan to ramp up and test several more.

I'm also working with someone else to release a business that can definitely make money. It has been in the building stages for a while and is near completion. The person I'm working with just doesn't have much time to work with me.

What I need help with:

testing
sales
copywriting
marketing

If you can point me to forum crash courses for copywriting, Google Adwords (checking out Andy Black now), FB Ads, and Instagram Ads then please help me out.

This is what I've found so far:

The Single Biggest Reason People Lose Money With AdWords
GOLD - Paid Advertising Crash Course

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Everyone,

I just joined. I found this forum in 2014 after college. During college, I thought that I didn't want to work a job. I even tried to switch to Computer Science to have a more marketable degree with a skill that I could own and use for life. Well, life didn't work out as planned. It's fine though. Everything happens for a reason.

Since 2014, I've worked 2 really crappy jobs and have had inconsistent work. In 2016 or early 2017, I told a mentor and friend that I would never work another job again. The job market is a lottery just like the mega millions. Securing a corporate job without an internship or previous skills and work is just not feasible.

The jobs I worked weren't corporate positions at all and totally unrelated to each other so they were screwing up my resume even more.

It took probably 1k or 2k job applications for me to figure this out, and most of that time I was only applying for jobs like customer service, sales, business development, and other general skill jobs. Maybe I'm terrible at interviewing, maybe I can't write a resume, maybe I'm not qualified for anything, what is true is that this isn't place where you guys care about that stuff. This is place to carve out your own path. I'm here to do that.

What did I do from 2014 to 2017 besides apply to jobs?

I researched business ideas. I researched and researched and researched. I also took a small amount of action. I was so naive to a lot of things. Here's what I did:

first failure ever: I tried to sell a terrible provisional patent from reading the stuff in the 4 hour work week. I didn't even use a lawyer. Huge mistake and will never do that again or even try to sell anything but a full patent. I received bad information because it was incomplete.

Second mistake with huge progress
: I tried pre-selling a used book indeing application for used bookstores. This is an amazing idea, but the main problem with the idea is that used bookstores don't really have a lot of money. Think of the idea as crowdsourced book searching.

Would I try this idea again? Most definitely because I know better techniques for testing now that I didn't know before and am currently learning.

What did I do? I cold-called 125 used bookstores. 3 were interested and no one wanted to buy. The problem is that this mobile and web application would need a lot of traffic to make it worthwhile. It's still worth testing again though because it wasn't tested right.

I just personally hate every solution for searching used bookstores for out-of-print and hard to find books.

Third failure and gladly: I kept looking for a specific type of sports drink that wasn't currently on market. So, I tried making the drink in my home. I'm an average cook so I thought I could create it. Boy was I wrong. I quit this before I got too far. $100 went down the drain in product. It was definitely worth learning that my startup costs even with a fully managed and outsourced production would be hard to get into retailers.

Will I revisit this idea? Definitely. If you figure out a way to sell water/drink to someone then you're an instant millionaire. I just don't have $$$$ (read thousands) to burn on this even it's proven.

1 year later a competitor popped up in the market. :(

Fourth failure with some success: This time I started thinking how can I do something that would be easy to get done and would allow me to make money. Read easy to do as something that's easy to setup and easy to market.

I found a niche in an industry I was interested in and reading about and partnered with a small startup growing in the space and ecpanding internationally.

Note: this is for consulting if you're wondering.

Where was the catch here? The startup founder didn't really market me to his email list that heavily even though we offered complimentary services. Maybe I didn't create a decent enough website. I got my first potential customer.

What did I learn? The guy had already bought services like mine from people on Upwork. He used a "resume" as his decision factor instead of an outcome based approach. He paid someone $1k to get the same services I was offering at $3k - $5k with fees contingent on success. It was clear he didn't understand the information even though he said he did that with someone on Upwork.

The cheapest leads I could find started at like $1k to buy decent leads to cold call for any industry that don't bounce on email and actually connect to a working phone. This doesn't even account for travel costs.

He also mentions that he and like 5 of his friends had tried it before. It sounds like a good opportunity right? No way. He wouldn't refer me to any of his friends, and it was definitely a market that needed way too much educating.

Fifth failure and lessons learned with more progress:

I tried to build on each lesson I learned from previous failures and it paid off a slightly. I got my first email signups and had a list going, which is boss. Before I started trying to sell, I did more research and found out that my product had too many issues that were out of my control.

The first issue was that it was in a legal gray area, which I didn't know. The second issue was that the market was scorched earth territory. So many businesses had come through and imploded upon impact with bad services that they left a bad taste in the customer's mouth's.

No good.

It was better to scrap the project even though I was getting signups to market to because it wasn't a business that could even grow in my state. The largest business in the area had like 5k customers signed up nationwide, but they were charging on a percentage of transaction and not subscription, which means you need way more than that. The closest to them was at 1500 nationwide and definitely can't support their model. I wanted to get to 300 in my state but there's no way that it is happening if these guys can't get tons of clients nationwide.

Cold calling potential customers confirmed that they didn't really like or trust businesses serving this need.

Too bad.

What not to do:
  • don't sell a patent or even a provisional patent no wants it.
  • don't choose a bad market
  • don't start something where you have to heavily educate your potential customers
  • don't pick something in a regulated market.
What to do:
  • test your idea as best as you can
  • choose a market that can afford your services or products
  • choose an idea that fits your budget
  • stick to proven markets mostly
  • do something where you can pre-sell
Also, in 2017, I've started taking a lot more action. I realized that taking action isn't as scary as you may think it is. I'm busting a$$ on testing my 7th idea and plan to ramp up and test several more.

I'm also working with someone else to release a business that can definitely make money. It has been in the building stages for a while and is near completion. The person I'm working with just doesn't have much time to work with me.

What I need help with:

testing
sales
copywriting
marketing

If you can point me to forum crash courses for copywriting, Google Adwords (checking out Andy Black now), FB Ads, and Instagram Ads then please help me out.

This is what I've found so far:

The Single Biggest Reason People Lose Money With AdWords
GOLD - Paid Advertising Crash Course
Thanks for the intro and welcome.

I only skimmed it, but check out my signature and @eliquid's course, plus @SinisterLex 's threads on copywriting.

Rather than get stuck in the learning loop, think about whoyou might be able to help this week, and go help them with this stuff.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Thanks @Andy Black

OP, if you become an INSIDERS I am actually giving away 4 books on copywriting/marketing. Can't say you will win as it's a random drawing, but it might be something you could be interested in.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest92dX

@eliquid @Andy Black

Thanks guys. I already found you on search before you responded. I didn't see Sinister's stuff through a search. Will you point me to it? I was directed to his webpage, but the purchase link was broken, not that I can afford it anyway.

To start off, I just need to be linked to the free stuff on the forum. I think I found both of the posts you guys are talking about that are free.

I will also look into becoming an INSIDERS.

I do have a question though:

For business idea #7, what happens if I drive a bunch of traffic and get conversions, but I can't build my product on deadline?

I just want to know what my costs are for returning money or something. Hmmm, I just want to know my legal and financial responsibilities because I can definitely breach the point of the first sale.

I did it yesterday. I sold a junker trailer to my neighbor. He saw value in a trailer that I didn't. He asked me about it, and I told him whatever price he wants. He might be able to repair the trailer and re-sell for profit to a friend of his. I told him. I just wanted it gone to so I do better yard work prep in the following year.

Hot $40 for an equipment trailer with plates. Undervalued? Maybe. First sale? Yep. I'll book the win quietly.

G

Guest92dX

dang, already got trolled with the "how to piss off a mentor pro version" post and all I was doing was searching the forum.

Thanks again for the responses. I'll post about my following test, which will be done in the following two or three weeks. I'm not sure about how long to test. My tabs got polluted really quick so I closed everything.

I think I bookmarked the post on how long to test for conversions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...