The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning to code, to develop my idea

Idea threads

aquilarafael

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 31, 2019
I'm 19 years old and a month ago I got this idea to develop something with a friend who's a programmer. My friend is addicted to cocaine. But he was the only one that I knew that could code and program and I thought maybe with this idea he would be distracted and stop doing cocaine. Well I was wrong. So now I'm going further on my own and I need to learn how to code. I tried it several times to learn how to code, but every time I got demotivated and found it boring. I'm giving it another shot. Did any of you guys also found coding boring in the beginning but end up liking it?

You have to make it fun.

Learn while build your idea. Go deep when you need.

Bring the curiosity to learn how stuff works under the hood then the boring fundamentals will not be boring anymore.

Last edited:

centje

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Jul 15, 2020
Netherlands
I'm 19 years old and a month ago I got this idea to develop something with a friend who's a programmer. My friend is addicted to cocaine. But he was the only one that I knew that could code and program and I thought maybe with this idea he would be distracted and stop doing cocaine. Well I was wrong. So now I'm going further on my own and I need to learn how to code. I tried it several times to learn how to code, but every time I got demotivated and found it boring. I'm giving it another shot. Did any of you guys also found coding boring in the beginning but end up liking it?

Hi, Knyoung. I'm a Dutch programmer and currently implementing a javascript-based eCommerce site. I can understand how it could be boring, but it's kind of funny how some things like that become really fun once you understand how it works and dive deep into more advanced concepts. There will be a point where you'll start to feel like a genius! That's how I felt.

Knyoung

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 19, 2020
Netherlands

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
I'm actually at your same spot right now. Learning JS and other web dev stuff but seems so boring. I think like @aquilarafael mentioned above if we have a project in mind to begin with, the learning path would become more tolerable

Or maybe cocaine helps with learning web dev? Anyone tried this method? Thanks

Strive

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I tried and failed multiple times over years to learn how to code because I also found it boring and difficult. Then one time I didn't.

Different life circumstances and motivation definitely changes how likely you are to stick to something, but for me I knew I needed a change and that was the catalyst for it to click. I started enjoying it and viewed it as solving a puzzle.

I also stuck to the part of programming that I enjoyed - visually being able to build something from scratch. Initially I started learning python because it was what I heard was in really high demand and the most popular, but once I switched over to mainly js and watched my code editor go from a blank screen to creating something I'm interacting with was a turning point for me.

Programming is not easy and if you don't latch on to what you find interesting about it it will make it extremely tough to have the discipline to keep at it

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Aaaaah. The joy of coding. I failed to learn to code a few times - because I found it boring and so incredibly hard.

The thing is: This turns around once you've got the basics figured out. I still don't like frontend development (because HTML and CSS are BOOOOORING). But I love coding.

You have this given problem and have to figure out a solution. And you try, and try, and try. And then, you have an argument with your girlfriend and SUDDENLY you know what is wrong. That's the fun part. And actually building something.

When you move away from the fundamentals, it's challenging fun. I think that makes it comparable to Dwarf Fortress.

I can only recommend freecodecamp.com. There, you can do a lot of algorithmic challenges for free. If you don't like those, coding probably really isn't for you. There are more websites offering these kinds of challenges.

As for cocaine: Let it be. I don't know any other drugs which ruin the character of a person faster. And in the long run. From some point onwards, it doesn't make a difference anymore whether they're high or sober, they are just assholes all the time.

MVP..dev

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 7, 2019
South Florida

Learn how to build apps on a no-code platform, like Bubble or Adalo. Use it to build out a Minimum Viable Product and validate your idea. Then once it has traction, you can worry about replatforming it on the code base of your choice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.