The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Learning: action-faking or not?

theMikeFerrari

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 18, 2019
Indonesia
Hi, I'm a 21 years old student who doesn't have great business skill. I'm an expert on typography but I needed more to create business. I've published a font that generates 200k download but I wasn't charging anything. (some people even donated $20, which is sweet for a college student)

So, last month, I decided to learn a high-income skill: copywriting. But then after several weeks learning, I feel like I'm not contributing anything to achieve my goal to hit my first $500 from business (that's enough for me to live well for a month in Indonesia).

Don't worry I'm not money-chaser, but thinking about learning for years ahead made me think: Am I action-faking? I'm not getting any closer to creating value for others.

My question: Is learning actually action-faking? Is it better if people just find a big problem, hire someone else to do it for them?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Mainstream7

Beauty is Truth
Jan 1, 2015
If you learn so you can create $500/month, then it´s not action faking. Try to get your first clients asap.

Monkeycom

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 20, 2019
UK
Hi, I'm a 21 years old student who doesn't have great business skill. I'm an expert on typography but I needed more to create business. I've published a font that generates 200k download but I wasn't charging anything. (some people even donated $20, which is sweet for a college student)

So, last month, I decided to learn a high-income skill: copywriting. But then after several weeks learning, I feel like I'm not contributing anything to achieve my goal to hit my first $500 from business (that's enough for me to live well for a month in Indonesia).

Don't worry I'm not money-chaser, but thinking about learning for years ahead made me think: Am I action-faking? I'm not getting any closer to creating value for others.

My question: Is learning actually action-faking? Is it better if people just find a big problem, hire someone else to do it for them?
Can you learn by working for someone else ? Find an entrepreneur who need a copywriter. Offer him to work for free while you learn from him.

SamRussell

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2018
UK
200,000 downloads is a lot.

What can you do to either reach these people, or have them reach out to you?

Reactions: Kid
OP
OP
theMikeFerrari

theMikeFerrari

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 18, 2019
Indonesia
If you learn so you can create $500/month, then it´s not action faking. Try to get your first clients asap.
Can you learn by working for someone else ? Find an entrepreneur who need a copywriter. Offer him to work for free while you learn from him.
That makes sense, I'll do it. Thanks for both of your advices.

OP
OP
theMikeFerrari

theMikeFerrari

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 18, 2019
Indonesia
200,000 downloads is a lot.

What can you do to either reach these people, or have them reach out to you?
Thanks. It is a lot. I was surprised. It happened two years ago, before I joined the fastlane. The first month alone prior to posting, I received 160k download. Sadly, I thought it wasn't worth charging because it's just a campus assignment. Of course it was a stupid idea.

The assignment requires me to publish it on a famous font publishing web to get an A for the whole test that ever existed in that class. I use dafont to ensure it, since I know it has low entry barrier. I got it of course. But I didn't realized how awesome my font was.

I thought it was crappy. But not to the market.

I had thought about recreating the same success but I'm afraid that I won't deliver the same result. I realize that typography is my passion and I don't want to ruin it. At least in the mean time I pick a high-income skill to supply my passion.

SamRussell

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2018
UK
You don't need to sell very much to a fraction of your audience to make a lot of money...

If the market likes what you are doing, supply it.

Maybe try and figure out if there is a way to get people from dafont to your website... where you can sell a big bundle of 10 premium fonts or something for $20.

Can you put a text file in with your download on dafont, that incentevises people to goto your website?

Do you know if people are googling you to find more? I think Google has a function that lets you check search volume on terms.

Kid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
Asking this questions is like action faking.

Find this big problem. Then ask non hypothetically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom