The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learn How To Code...From Scratch

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I just came across this site and thought it would add value to each and every person in the forum who has absolutely no clue how to code...me included.

Go knock yourself out!

Learn to code | Codecademy

From what I have heard they plan on adding more to the site as it continues to grow!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jordan Dimov

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 23, 2011
Worldwide
The site is awesome. It teaches you how to program in JavaScript in a very easy-to-follow step-by-step format and rewards you throughout your progress.

JavaScript is a great language to learn. It's mostly used for what is called "front-end" programming. It's used for making web sites and web applications more interactive and for building rich user interfaces. All modern browsers understand JavaScript (although with minor variations).

However, if you want to learn "back-end" programming, where you can program real and complex business logic into your application, like actually processing orders, or handling large amounts of data, or automating other business processes, I would highly recommend learning Python. It's not that different from JavaScript as a style of programming (imperative, object-oriented), it's easy to learn, and extremely powerful. True masters use it (it's more than a programming language, it's a philosophy). Others just settle for whatever is popular (e.g. PHP).

If you need any help learning Python, I'd be very happy to help.

Jordan

Anne

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for the website and the Python info! I've been doing tech support for other people but want to get more into programming without going back to school.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
True masters use it (it's more than a programming language, it's a philosophy). Others just settle for whatever is popular (e.g. PHP).

Come on now, this is an opinion, and not a fact. While worth a discussion, it certainly isn't right in a thread aimed at people getting started to get such a notion in their head.

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
Come on now, this is an opinion, and not a fact. While worth a discussion, it certainly isn't right in a thread aimed at people getting started to get such a notion in their head.

I didn't think it was inappropriate. It's up to us as participants to judge the usefulness of information we come across, I think some healthy discussion could develop as follow-up; I'm intrigued WHY he thinks what he does now.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Originally Posted by Jordan Dimov
True masters use it (it's more than a programming language, it's a philosophy). Others just settle for whatever is popular (e.g. PHP).

I just did a Google search and came up with Python being introduced in 1991 and PHP in 1995. To put that into perspective, C has been around since 10 years before you and I were born. What Icy said is correct - to someone who knows nothing about programming, that can very misleading. I followed someone's advice like that back in the late 1990's and I now know a ton about ColdFusion :smxE:. With technology the way it is, I don't think any programming language is ever immune from being "popular".

jacob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 21, 2011
Interesting tool to use in coding you can also learn from relevant website like w3schools for Html codes and it is easy you can also try it as soon as it teach you.

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
"Today, I think that the best investment for any Web developer is to start learning Dart. Why?

As a developer and a retired university professor, for the first time in my long career, I can do the following with Dart:

I can use Dart both on the client and on the server.

With Dart, I can apply both object-oriented and functional way of programming.

I can develop in Dart and deploy applications in JavaScript.

I can be a productive developer with many Dart tools and libraries, and get a very good performance in either Dart applications or their JavaScript versions.

I can start developing a prototype without data types and introduce them when I need to convert the prototype to a deployable application.

I can use Dart for both synchronous and asynchronous programming.

I can use many publicly available packages and reuse their libraries.

I can be a web engineer on the client-side and a software engineer on the server-side, with the same language and many reusable libraries."

https://dartlang.org

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
Thanks for this post!
I plan on learning a little code myself this summer, and this seems like a great place to start.
Which language of coding is the most useful for the future though? I hear C++ is getting phased out, and same with Javascript.

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
I am learning Swift (but has to be done on a MAC, IBM has a SWIFT sandbox - you can run swift code in a cloud free of charge). It is similar to C# apparently.
Any language I'll learn will help me pick up another language.
I don't even have to be an expert and I can outsource a lot of things.
I think knowing coding well will help me know what to outsource and what not to outsource :)

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
"Today, I think that the best investment for any Web developer is to start learning Dart. Why?

As a developer and a retired university professor, for the first time in my long career, I can do the following with Dart:

I can use Dart both on the client and on the server.

With Dart, I can apply both object-oriented and functional way of programming.

I can develop in Dart and deploy applications in JavaScript.

I can be a productive developer with many Dart tools and libraries, and get a very good performance in either Dart applications or their JavaScript versions.

I can start developing a prototype without data types and introduce them when I need to convert the prototype to a deployable application.

I can use Dart for both synchronous and asynchronous programming.

I can use many publicly available packages and reuse their libraries.

I can be a web engineer on the client-side and a software engineer on the server-side, with the same language and many reusable libraries."

https://dartlang.org

Hope you don't take this personally but I disagree 100%, I do not recommend anyone to start with Dart because it is a very niche language that is not used by a lot of people. It may fit your use case perfectly but for a person green to programming, they are going to have a harder time finding tutorials and things like that for Dart.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for this post!
I plan on learning a little code myself this summer, and this seems like a great place to start.
Which language of coding is the most useful for the future though? I hear C++ is getting phased out, and same with Javascript.

Javascript is not getting phased out. Somebody is misleading you lol

Mr Cracker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 24, 2012
Mexico
I think it's always ok to learn new stuff, but don't just learn for the sake of learning. Pick a language with a project in mind (even if it's a useless project. for fun or whatever), pick the right tool for the job, but pick a language with some goal in mind. There's just way too much to learn out there... you don't have enough time to learn everything. Pick your battles.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I've used the service in the past to learn coding. I was also a paid member. Having access to developers for questions was great. I recommend the service. The only issues I have with it is the material and the teaching method they use. Its taught in a way where they "do it for you." It doesn't really encourage you to think for yourself. They could also add more material such as additional training exercises. But it is a free service after all. Its a great way to dive into coding though and I highly recommend it if you're starting out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.