The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Lawn Maintenance As Service

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

door123

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Hi All

This is my lawn maintenance progress thread for a lawn maintenance company I started early this week in Nor Cal. I will be posting any updates ~biweekly. Post inspired by @Johnny boy

My Objective get to $12,500 in monthly gross receipts & hire a full-time crew by the beginning of next spring (March).

So Far
Qualified Leads: 5
Clients: 2
Monthly Gross: $225

My Marketing Plan:
Distribute door hangers every 4 weeks in 3 zip codes
Target 3 zip codes on Google & Facebook, Yelp( ~$30 a day budget)
Rank my sales page for 3 zip codes

Why 3 zip codes? Route density is the name of the game lawn care.

Equipment:
Vehicles - still deciding on what to get.
Ego Electric Mower, blower, weed eater, bush trimmer, - pretty much 0 maintenance, electricity is cheap,

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 12.44.32 PM.png

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

door123

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
How are you managing battery charge throughout the day? I was looking at buying an electric leaf blower for my yard and the 15 minute battery life turned me off it.
ego blower runs up to 75 mins on 1 battery, we have extra batteries plus charge on go just in case

Last edited:

fridge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2020
USA
I read your other thread and see you're selling a product on Amazon as well, which business do you plan on focusing on in the event you need to drop one of them? I'd also look into yard signs, great way to advertise as a smaller business. If you're able to start with lawn care, and expand into gutter cleaning/christmas lights/fall & spring clean ups, you should be able to keep your crews going year round. I'm actually pivoting from pressure washing to primarily lawn care/landscaping as well since there's the repeatability of it.

door123

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
I read your other thread and see you're selling a product on Amazon as well, which business do you plan on focusing on in the event you need to drop one of them? I'd also look into yard signs, great way to advertise as a smaller business. If you're able to start with lawn care, and expand into gutter cleaning/christmas lights/fall & spring clean ups, you should be able to keep your crews going year round. I'm actually pivoting from pressure washing to primarily lawn care/landscaping as well since there's the repeatability of it.
I would say the service business has a 95% chance of survival past year 3 but my product business has about a 30% chance of survival past year 3. I would probably drop the product business first.

We do landscaping service year round, so I wont need to diversify with other stuff. Plus our customers are on a 12 month payment plan.

Smart on moving towards a recurring service.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Customers don't give a shit until spring. You have like 4 months available for signing up 90% of your customers. March, April, May, and June (with parts of July).

I remember hanging door hangers and getting one single customer after doing it for an entire month. Shit was depressing.

Rank your listing high on google. That's the most important.

1. Name of your google listing should be almost an identical match to the most popular search result in your area, and contain the name of the city you're in. Example: "Razor's Edge Lawn Care Services - Portland"

2. Follow the standard N.A.P format for SEO. Make sure your name, address, and phone number along with other info all match across your website, fb page, etc.

3. Get your buddies to write reviews for your new business. Get like 10 padded reviews to start off.

4. Make sure the brand is listed in different areas like on yelp, home advisor, social media, etc. Those create backlinks that give your listing some authority.

We are always in the top few listings for almost all searches for lawn care service in our area by following these strategies.

Also, advertise on craigslist. It works pretty well. Very cheap.

In spring, run fb ads heavily. Out of season your cost per lead will skyrocket though so we only run them in spring. Ask me and I'll tell you how we do our fb ads.

You will need a customer service person. I have someone hired but you might want to look into an answering service. This is very important because most companies are just some dude and his cell phone answering calls and handling complaints. Very unprofessional. You need a soft-spoken chick working the phones.

Please don't use electric shit. We have many customers who actually bought electric mowers, realized it was about as powerful as an easy-bake oven, and then called us.

811YHQ5vJvL._AC_SL1500_.png

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE  Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
FU. 4 DAYS. 50% OFF BLACK FRIDAY SALE! If you're an Upwork freelancer, you'd be a fool not to...
MARKETPLACE  You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
One year ago, I was just your average software developer who always consumed content about...
MARKETPLACE  For Sale: Food Brand with 4 Years of Happy Customers in a Fast-Growing Niche
So to get certified, it cost a fortune? How much exactly? That sucks that these "health...
MARKETPLACE  Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE  Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom