• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

EXECUTION Launching a Vegan Company into the U.S. Market | 48 in 48

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by AndrewNC, May 26, 2018.

1. AndrewNC

AndrewNC Limitless Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $65,286
    Launching a Vegan Company into the U.S. Market | 48 in 48

I'll talk about the 48 in 48 in 48 months.

After feedback from members of this forum, 2 years immersing myself in a particular market, my Colorado mastermind group & network of business mentors there; I decided to transition my energy at this time into jumping both feet first into the Vegan market.

This progress thread will document my efforts in bringing a vegan food product sold direct-to-consumers through our website.

The product is estimated to be shipped out of the shipping port in Lima, Peru in July and sitting in a distribution warehouse in Virginia Beach by Aug. 15th, 2018; ready for sale.

Mark (68 years old with one vegan product launch under his belt) is in charge of working with the Peruvian food production company in terms of the product development, package design, quality testing, as well as working with the distribution center in the U.S. for shipment.

From May 24th - August 15th - my role will be doing pre-launch marketing activities to build up for the launch date. A big thanks to @Kak for a comment he made on my Limitless progress thread about structuring unique deals with companies that I come in contact with through my program. I'll tell more about how this partnership worked out in a future post, but thanks for now - I already am reaping really great benefits from the setup I took based on your advice.

After the product is ready for sale in August, we have set the following aggressive sales goals:

Our initial sales goals are:
    • Month 1: $50,000
    • Month 2: $75,000
    • Month 3: $100,000

Our assets so far include:
    • Cold email list of 15,500
    • $28,000 in pre-sales customers from Kickstarter
    • Strong network of 10 of the top vegan influencers, doctors, + non-profits; many of which who already endorsed the product and will help promote the launch of the product to their audience.
    • $150,000 of private equity invested into the business.
    The purpose of this thread (initially) is to document my six months of immersion into marketing for a Product-Based Vegan business.

The first decision we made is that we will not be selling this product to vegans.

But they will probably makeup a good percentage of our customers.

diffusion-innovation-bell-curve.jpg

Companies such as Beyond Meat, Daiya, Tofurkey, and others are saturating the Early Adopters section of the curve (Existing Vegans), while we are thinking ahead and planning our product to go after the Early Majority, which is a largely under-served portion of the market (More health conscious individuals who are transitioning to a vegan diet).

This is all based on the assumption that the world will continue to trend towards veganism. And from my two years of experience in the Vegan culture, and Mark's 46 years of experience being a vegan; that's the direction it's headed; so we at placing ourselves ahead of the curve, since we are in the era of things tipping into the Early Majority phase; opening ourselves up to close to 47 Million new customers that are about to create a new market.

diffusion-of-innovation-everett-rogers-9-638.jpg
    We see that the tipping point is happening this year.

Book: The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

If you want to start a vegan food company...the time is now.

Other threads going on right now:
    The Opportunity of Veganism / Vegan Opps

O/T: Health - Vegan / Vegetarian Lifestyle Discussion

The Action Steps I'm Taking Now:
    • Building out a Sales System for the website that handles the needs of our orders.
    • Building out a network of influencers in the industry to serve as affiliates for the initial launch.
      • Mark already has decade's-long relationships with many of them, and has had their promotion for his first vegan business.
    From my research so far, it looks as if Ontraport will be the software we use for the website sales, but I have a call lined up with a product development lead at Infusionsoft to see their needs.

Important: For the people who I speak with personally from this forum and know the business and product, due to terms of our NDA, I am only allowed to share limited information about what I'm doing in this progress thread, I will not disclose the product itself. And if you do know what the product is, please do NOT share what it is on this forum or this thread. The only information I'm in the position to disclose about it is that it's a vegan food product sold on a website directly to consumers.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    The_Saphir, The-J, Bdenner64 and 22 others like this.
  2. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $75,845
  3. Cat Lady

Cat Lady Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $318
    Hey! Near! Posting to follow since I love progress threads and I've also been vegan for 20 years (I am hella in the "early adopter" category). I'm hoping you are making a vegan mac and cheese product because I always want more vegan mac and cheeses.

AndrewNC and TheDillon__ like this.
  4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $307,384
    Admin Post
    Very cool. In fact, I'm a little jealous.

The vegan "megatrend" (a trend that sticks, like the internet) is right now in the early adoption phase.

So happy to see you creating value in a product-based business, moreover, you're in industry that's about to go gangbusters and make a lot of people rich.

I revise my prediction on the new "change industries" that will make the new millionaires and billionaires: it will come from cannabis, crypto, AI, and vegan-related goods.

The often asked question I hear, "Hey MJ, if you had to do something today, what would you pursue?"

It would be a vegan food product. (Not ice cream, that category is served pretty well.)

And here's the thing Andrew, after you kill it, you can retire in the limelight and write books on how to get rich as an entrepreneur. You won't have any credibility problem -- you'll have a hungry, built-in audience of millions.

Happy to see this, and good luck!

Will watch thread and progress.

The_Saphir, The-J, Ronak and 24 others like this.
  5. TheDillon__

TheDillon__ Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,260
    Love it - super excited to see this. Please keep us updated and let me know where I can pick up some food once you launch!

ZF Lee and AndrewNC like this.
  6. Kak

Kak Capitalist Pig Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $11,348
    Take note those of you thinking you're reinventing the wheel with your freelancing and FBA businesses. This is what the beginning of an actual business looks like.

Bravo @AndrewNC

The_Saphir, The-J, Bdenner64 and 13 others like this.
  7. RedBaron

RedBaron New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $88
    ya i totally agree this is great. For sure the future people that are going to get rich as f*ck are from Marijuana ( this includes Hemp of course, which will be extremely massive), Blockchain, AI, and the vegan sector

AndrewNC likes this.
  8. RedBaron

RedBaron New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $88
    Better yet how about a vegan marijuana product that is support with blockchain tracking so you can see were the weed comes from and you know everything is vegan, and we could throw a little dash of AI for something that im not really sure of

AndrewNC likes this.
  9. AndrewNC

AndrewNC Limitless Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $65,286
    Interesting notes on the other industries that are taking off here. I attended an event at Boulder Startup Week and one of the main pain points they said the marjuana industry has now is that brands are having trouble marketing to their audience. Federal regulations make it impossible to market on certain platforms. So if someone can jump in and be creative there....huge need to be filled.

The Backstory of the Vegan Business

November 2017

I attended an business event in Colorado on the topic of pitching investors.

This was three weeks after I make the 100% transition to a vegan diet, and one of the new attendees there, Mark was sitting across the table from me talking about a vegan food product he had an idea for. When I made the vegan comment, he jumped back for a second in surprise. He's been Vegan since the 1970's.

Thinking nothing of it a the time, I offered my help to him if he needed it to introduce him to the vegan groups and non-profits that I've been networking with since 2017. He handed me his business card.

December
    After talking to my friend Scott about Marks idea, and how he was looking for investors, Scott said he might be interested in investing in the business, so I organize vegan lunch together for the three of us in December. Nothing comes from it, but I continue to see Mark at a number of vegan events over the next few months. At Vegan Dinner & Drinks (Social event), he is on a couch interviewing a woman about Facebook marketing). He than is networking with Steven, a guy who works for one of the larger non-profits (Mercy for Animals).

Mark set his stated goal for the Kickstarter to $24,000 - with aspirations of hitting $250,000 based on the promises of a kickstarter advertising agency who spoke of large potential. Ultimately, he was falling short on the last week of the Kikcstarter, and on the last week - he worked out a deal with a friend of his who owns a large vegan restaurant diretory, and pushed them over the goal.

January - Apirl 2018

Mark networks with food importing company in the US, warehouses, etc. and flies down to Lima, Peru in February 2018 to oversee production of the food product there. We speak once via email since he has been asking me multiple times that he needs help finding someone to run social media marketing for the business (he's been mentioning this every time since we met back in November).

I introduce him to Lori, a social media marketing coach. I ask around my network to pair him up with the right person, but nobody seemed to be a fit.

He wanted a vegan. Who also knows the online world.

May 1st - 14th, 2018

I made the decision I want to start a vegan marketing company. A network of influencers to help promote vegan products and push them to market. I email Mark about this idea to see if he would be interested in working together to help both of us out.

We negotiate back and forth through Skype calls for a couple of weeks, and finally work out a deal. He wants me to come on board as part of the company to do all the online marketing and sales.
    1. To protect his interest, he offered a vested interest option, where I'd only receive my equity portion in the company after hitting certain milestones.
    2. To mitigate the risk on my part, I told him I would require something up front in terms of cash.
    We arrived at an agreement, which I'll share the details at a later time, but as of May 14th, 2018 - Mark is responsible for 100% of the company up until that point:
    • He's the one who started it.
    • He's the one who has been trying to start it since 2015.
    • He's the one who has been nurturing relationships with many vegan influencers since the early 2000's (for his first vegan product launch which did $2 M before veganism even got popular).
    • It's his business idea, where I am now playing my role in giving constructive feedback.
    So in terms of creating a vegan product...I learned enough now from being around him after-the-fact where I have the confidence I could do it right, but when it comes to the product itself...that's something I have nothing to do with and zero experience on.

My exclusive role for this for the next 3 months will be marketing, sales, and building out a marketing team below me to execute on the plans.

About to hop of and get started on things, and will give more details on the marketing and sales plan when I get some free time.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  10. Not Sure

Not Sure New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    Eager to watch you develop this. The plant-based sector is in an exciting place, and (I believe) has many adopters waiting in the wings, which you seem to be onto as well by not marketing directly at vegans. As a potential customer someday, I will say that I've learned of many new plant-based options via Instagram lately.

May the wind be at your back!

AndrewNC likes this.
  11. AndrewNC

Rep Bank:
    $65,286
    I am not, but I am hoping you are! Please use creamy Cashew cheeze because that's my favorite haha. The raw cost of cashews in the country of production is high, so that would ultimately carry over to the cost to the end-consumer. Maybe it'll be cheaper to have the product created in a country where they produce the most cashews from:

The Top 5 Cashew Nut producing countries

Creating a 12-Month Shelf-Life With No Preservatives or Refrigeration:

You might find this interesting, I just learned it today.

The product we are creating stores at room temperature, has as 12-month shelf-life, and has no artificial/chemical preservatives, which means customers (and the warehouse we are shipping out of) won't have to refrigerate it.

Ultimately this reduces shipping costs, allows for more product to be stored in the facility, and reduces food waste (which our environmentally-conscious market values).

How is this possible?

Apparently, when the food is cooked inside of an air-tight/sealed container, this kills of any bacteria that could transmit to food-born illnesses that develop after it's exposed to air.

We are using a type of container that can heat up to 200-something degrees for a few minutes to cook the food, while safe to make sure no chemicals from the container get into the food. This type of packaging was developed for the military years ago, and is lighter than glass, which is the picture I found to demonstrate the point below.

415n6QknfPL._SY355_.jpg
    Air tight, cooked after it is sealed = long shelf life without refrigeration.

The company who puts all the food together in Peru has over 10,000 employees, handles orders for companies such as Walmart, and has a team of scientists, designers, and the works to test the shelf-life of the food in a quick period of time.

They mimic the aging of the food by heating the food up, cooling it down, heating it up again; and that process is their way of knowing exactly how long the product will be good for, before waiting a year to find out by traditional methods.

Marketing Updates for Today:

I was tasked with creating a campaign to warm up the cold email list of 15,000 people, which I originally thought were vegans.

Before doing that, I had Mark dig into his Facebook ads manager to find the demographics his previous marketing company used to build the list.

(Health Conscious) AND (business owner/entrepreneur OR diabetic).

The diabetic part was a mistake the previous marketing agency made with the targeting, because the nature of our product is not the best for diabetics.

So the angle we are going is easy + convenient (saves time), with a health-conscious spin to it (comparing it to fast food meals). I'll leave out vegan as the main selling point for the re-warming of the email list since most of the audience isn't pulled from there.

12. RedBaron

RedBaron New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $88
    What are your thoughts on Vegan jerky

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    TheDillon__ likes this.
  13. million$$$smile

million$$$smile Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $53,049
    Subscribed.
    Absolutely huge market waiting to be tapped with new products.

Good luck. Can't wait to see your progress.

Ungodly, RedBaron and The EL Maven like this.
  14. TheDillon__

TheDillon__ Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,260
    Fantastic.

...or did you mean business-wise?

In which case,

fantastic.

AndrewNC likes this.
  15. RedBaron

RedBaron New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $88
    As a business. Which kind have you tried?

16. Cat Lady

Cat Lady Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $318
    I am a lifelong vegetarian so I am just baffled by vegan jerky (I'm so personally over faux meat products, I just want good food that's vegan!) But I know I'm not the target.

I used to live in India for a short spell in a region with cashews as a big export and HOLY HECK is getting cashews into exportable form hard. Just collecting them from our front yard in our village required a whole bunch of training. (Also feni, cashew liquor, is lethal stuff!!)

I'm excited to see your growth. I'm kinda envious that your partner found you for online marketing, that's the kind of co-founder I could use personally. I have a product that's gotten a lot of earned media because it's a very cute niche but I'm terrible at spinning that into online marketing and all the growth-hacking stuff is challenging for me personally, despite putting out quality original content every week (podcast/broadcast radio show). We did $15,000 in our kickstarter, and then $5000 in add-ons from backerkit, which has been invaluable, but I do feel that we have potential for so much more if I dipped into influencers and paid advertising. Sorry, done talking about my own business. I'm excited for yours.

AndrewNC likes this.
  17. The EL Maven

The EL Maven No longer life's passenger Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,182
    What an awesome turn of events Andrew! My personal opinion is that nutritional religions have MASSIVE upside as people wake up and get themselves off the standard American diet. The best part is that you'll fill a true need, a true desire, and you'll improve people's health and lives tremendously through such a venture.
    Can't wait to read about how this progresses for you. Why do you believe things turned so fast?

El Príncipe and AndrewNC like this.
  18. RedBaron

RedBaron New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $88
    Ya Andrew this is badass! Good stuff

AndrewNC likes this.
  19. AndrewNC

Rep Bank:
    $65,286
    The terms and conditions of my offer in the company:
    1. $x,xxx paid in cash up front.
    2. 3-month initial commitment for my marketing services, with vested equity interest in the company after that timeframe (contract details private)
    3. Free housing for 3 months
    4. Free food for 3 months.
    5. I had to drive his car from Colorado to his sister's house in Washington D.C.
    6. Free one-way ticket...
    7. I am required to live and work out of Lima, Peru
    On May 20th, 2018 - I sold all my stuff, gave my car to my sister (which I found out today she put window tints on it and is searching for rims :-/), flew down to Peru, and had a driver pick me up from the airport.

IMG_1580.JPG
    I'll be living and working out of a 16-room house, which will double as not only where I stay, but as a startup incubator which Ken & Allison (expats who left the United States in the 70's) want to setup.

Our vegan food company is the first one to go through it.

So in addition to learning a lot from this experience, I am also learning a lot about setting up a startup incubator, which I feel will help me a lot for my future endeavors.

The same breakfast is served at 8:30 every morning. Avocado, papaya, camu camu, brazil nuts, toast, and coffee.
    IMG_1605.JPG
    White board, table, couches, next to the courtyard used for high-level planning and brainstorming.
    IMG_1646.JPG
    The work area with one white board (on the left) for weekly and daily tasks), and one white board (on the right) for strategic planning (mapping out the customer flow for our funnel right there).
    33058381_1523128161129194_5936920292394795008_o.jpg

The Pros:
    • We are getting preferential treatment from the manufacturing and distribution company since we took the time to fly down here and meet with them in person.
    • The energy of the work-space is fast-paced and serious.
    • The house we are staying at will eventually double as a startup accelerator, so most of the living tasks (breakfast, lunch, etc.) is taken care of for us by the homeowners (for $500 per month per person), so we can focus our energy into building the business.
    • We really hit the ground running, with getting work done on the first day, instead of taking time to see the city. The theme of the company seems to have the urgency of 'this had to be done yesterday', which makes progress happen really fast.
    The cons:
    • The wi-fi here sucks. I had two calls lined up today. One with Ontraport and the other with Infusionsoft, and we could barely hear every third word. I think WhatsApp is the best way to do voice calls from here.
    • You can't drink the tap water because it's filled with bacteria. Have to use a filter, bottled water, or boil it.
    For my personal life, I met a woman on my first weekend here. Her name is Fiorella and she is Peruvian, fluent in English, worked for an international corporation as an executive assistant for 8 years, and is finishing up her degree in International Business this August.

Our first date was at a restaurant called Astrid y Gaston where we got some chocolate ball filled with fruit for desert.

We're interested in seeing each other more, and she is making plans to show me around other parts of the country: A weekend at a beach in northern peru, machu picchu, and then she keeps talking about running by the beach on the weekends together.

She's not vegan, so I had to navigate around the ice cream and stick with the dark chocolate and fruit. It'll be interesting to see how that difference works out for us if we continue to see each other.

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.38.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.39.04 PM.png

IMG_20180527_170954.jpg

Overall, I feel the new environment, thriving off of Marks high-energy levels when it comes to urgency and building a business from the top-down, instead of the bottom-up has really benefited me to see things from a new perspective.

We decided to go with Ontraport for our funnel and email marketing software.

20. AndrewNC

Rep Bank:
    $65,286
    Ontraport vs. Infusionsoft Decision

First,
    we looked at the featues on the website and decided what was important to us in what we need it for.
    • Live support.
    • The ability to intergrate shopping cart software to allow users to customize their orders.
    • Ease of use.
    • Ability to export csv files that we can email to the distribution center (physical product)
    • One-click upsells, and
    • Most importantly - dynamic email campaigns based on user behavior on the website.
    They all had of that, but the thing that pushed Ontraport over the top is the ease of use and how it is more user-friendly for a company our size.

If I were to be selling info products, I would have probably wet with clickfunnels, but that doesn't meet the needs for us.

Infusionsoft looks like a better option for larger corporations.

AgainstAllOdds and Invictus like this.
  21. AndrewNC

Rep Bank:
    $65,286
    For veganism...

That's a good question. I just know how passionate the animal rights community is and how they will never stop fighting. More studies from doctors that are reaching the mainstream. The use of the internet to spread information that is aligned with the vegan culture.

But I'm just guessing.

When you go to food trade shows and see more and more vegan companies pop up than ever before, and you start hearing people in the rural south (worst demographics for veganism) talk about how they keep hearing about the benefits of this 'new plant-based diet', thats when i know it's caught on.

After the U.S., the UK and Germany seem to be trending in Europe.

Peru, where we are at now, seems to be 5 years behind, so the environment is not right there to start selling.

I believe Australia is #1.

22. johk

johk New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $82
    MJ DeMarco and AndrewNC like this.
  23. HackVenture

HackVenture Digital Marketer, Crypto Guy Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,112
    Wow this sounds really interesting, look forward to updates, and good to see you back Andrew, hope all has been well.

AndrewNC likes this.
  24. AndrewNC

Rep Bank:
    $65,286
    Week 2 Updates

Product:

The food element of the product comes in 3 different parts. Up until now, we have only found manufacturers to cover 2 of the 3. The other week (before I arrived), we hosted a screening of a vegan documentary to a community that was met here through networking events, contacts, etc.

Of the ones that showed up, Thomas - a man who is sent to Peru by the Swiss government (lived here for the last 10 years) came and liked what we are doing. Mark arranged a meeting with him last week to talk more about business, and he is introducing us to a company that he knows that could produce the 3rd element of our foods.

Meeting with Thomas, the company owner, and his daughter (engineer at the company) Monday afternoon for lunch at a raw vegan cafe, 1.5 hour uber ride across the city from where I'll be.

The hopes are that this company can produce this for us in the timeframe we need it by (late July), which it appears he has the capabilities of since he already has a long line of products similar to this sold locally.

The rule of thumb while visiting food manufacturing facilities: When you arrive, ask to use the restroom. If it's clean, it's a good sign. If it's dirty, don't do business with that company. If the meeting goes well, we will most likely schedule up a follow-up meeting to see their plant (an hour south of us), sometime in the future.

Sales:

Just launched a new pre-launch website connected to a mailchimp account to build the list before we are ready for sales. Going to switch over to Ontraport in July to get the sales funnels setup before we launch in August.

Marketing:

Touched base with a number of influencers in the industry, and I'm in the process of creating a "Brand Ambassador" recruitment/welcome packet to bring them on board.

Also, we are currently recruiting volunteers that can live here for free for a month in exchange for 4 hours of work per day. There is a website built specifically for this, which we will advertise on. I forget the name of it at the moment, but the main role is to bring them in house to recruit Brand Ambassadors (Affiliates) while they are here. The total cost to house/feed them will be $500 per month, so we worked through the math of how many affiliates they should recruit per week in order to make this a worthwhile investment to have them out here.

Other interesting notes:

Mark's passion is to help make the world a healthier place. The ultimate plan for the business is much more elaborate than the first vegan food product, and much healthier. It also includes expanding beyond just foods and utilizing a technology that most people haven't heard of yet. But that's still years away.

In the natural health community, the optimal amounts of nutrients comes when plants are freshly-picked and eaten right away, which this product isn't. It's a healthier option than the current foods our market is eating.

Anything more than this, our market won't respond to. So instead of going directly from A to Z, we are looking at the bigger picture of things and taking people from A to G, and then when there is a loyal customer base, the transition will further down the right direction from there. The 'passion' he is going for is built into a 3-4 year plan, where I feel if going straight from A to Z (follow your passion) would lead to failure from the start, so it's good to have the long-term goals that way.

25. AndrewNC

Rep Bank:
    $65,286
    Visiting a Manufacturing Facility in Lima
    IMG_1767.JPG

Yesterday our journey took us to a manufacturing company owned by Blas Silva, a Peruvian doctor who is famous throughout the country and won congressional awards for his research; transitioning the country to more natural health solutions through food and medicinals.

At 11:30, I took an Uber to a Raw vegan cafe on the other side of town to meet up with Mark and Thomas. Thomas is a man who connected us with this company through his previous business in the food industry here, and was our English-Spanish translator for the meeting (He's from Switzerland and also speaks French and German).

IMG_1739.JPG

After spending a few hours talking about health, business, and life; we all get in another Uber together and head for the facility south of the city.

Driving to the Meeting, Looking at their Existing Products on The Comany's Website

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcRs0Y-caLU

One of those "Am I going to get kidnapped and held for ransom" moments:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1FxMmYC59s

Almost there...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPfK4E6GkCI

Arrived...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl0Q37V_3jw

After getting our guest passes, we find ourselves waiting in the conference room for our 3:00 meeting. Mark wants videos, I take selfies.

IMG_1768.JPG

Most of the meeting was of us demonstrating samples of our food product, talking about the long-term vision of the company, and how we would need the packets they produce to put toppings/ingredients in addition to the food we offer, to serve as benefits for anti-inflammatory, probiotics, and other natural herbs that compliment what we do.

What to look out for while contracting with a food company:

One of the things that we had to look out for is the cleanliness of the facility. Things like if the bathrooms are clean, the yellow lines on the entrances to certain areas are within code (which is a good sign). The company has over 3,000 retail locations where their existing products are sold, they also sell in France (where the EU has much higher health standards than the US or South America). Also, while looking at some of the samples the next morning, they were completely honest in their labeling (their stevia sweetener also has some ingredient in it which isn't 100% pure stevia - they put that on their labels).

All good signs that this is a company that we want to work with.

IMG_1789.JPG

While our products aren't supplements, these are some of the samples they gave us, which we checked out afterwords.

The say Maca is the natural viagra.

The thing on the right is to help with a stomach thing I caught by doing drinking tap water or something.

Overall, they liked our vision, or plan for growth, and are going to create samples for us to check out - as little packets to add to our foods as 'boosts'.

Next Steps:

The wanted a pre-commitment contract, which we will get emaild in english and spanish.

We will give them more samples of our food so they can test sampling of which of their ingredients will taste best with our food.

We negotiated a $0.25 per unit (in bulk) for when we place larger orders as the maximum, which fell within their price range.

Mark also arranged a dinner date with his girlfriend, the women who was in the meeting and her husband at a raw vegan cafe we went to for lunch. This way, we can build a social relationship, and he feels his girlfriend would get along great because they both work in the food industry in Peru. This will help down the road.

Mark talking about how he's been waiting over 10 years to start this company, and his 'why':
    The biggest thing I'm learning so far is the concept of timing and to reach the market when the time is right.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L22WBzCB6Ho

Meeting 2

Driving back through the sketchy part of the city at night:

Driving back 2

Driving back from business meeting.

Discussions later at night:

After navigating through the city streets late at night, we arrive at Thomas' apartment where he makes us a fresh Chai tea, and we talk about our recap from the day, where everything is looking great to get the final elements of our Peruvian food dish complete (Mediterranean, India, and southeast Asia will come in 2019 and 2020, providing us with the experience here to make things go smoothly for future goals).

One of the potential problems we ran into is that the company uses Honey in one of their products, which is not vegan. There is a portion of the vegan community who does eat honey - usually the more health conscious side. But for the majority of the market, and 100% of my entire marketing strategy to get promoted through vegan influencers, and my personal feelings... We cannot have any honey in any of our products.

I was caught in shock when the brought up the potential of putting honey in one of the many products we roll out (which explains my reactions on the video), because my entire marketing strategy that I've been rolling with would go to nothing if it's included - so we'll talk more about this later, but I'll draw the line to make sure it's not included.

Talking about Company Branding