The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Laptop recommendations for a laptop

Christygruber124

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 16, 2020
PA
I honestly don’t know where to put this. I want to get a laptop that I’ll use for programming and maybe the occasional video game.

Thus won’t be used as much as my powerful desktop computer. However I wanted something where I can take to work with me and work on programming skills during my lunch hour. As well as road trips etc.

I want to get something between $600 $800

I was looking through this link and one laptop stood out to me but I wanted to get your thoughts. It was the asus vivo laptop but I’m real sure. I want something powerful but not over the top. Something that will last at least up to 3 years Something where I can learn different programming languages anywhere. I don’t know which direction I want to go rather it’s gaming development, machine learning or software dev/engineering.
Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
I'm still using my Dell laptop I bought nearly 6 years ago for $500 (refurbished). I do all sorts of programming with it just fine. It would be nice to have 16 GB RAM for when I have to use virtual machines, but I get by just fine with 8 GB. The processor's a bit slow, but I only notice when I'm compiling a large program from scratch.

I've only upgraded the hard drive to a 512 GB SSD which gave it a huge boost. The 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD configuration might work OK. I have that configuration on a desktop where I keep the OS and programs on the SSD and files on the HDD, but I occasionally have to uninstall things to keep the SSD from filling up. I'm much more comfortable with a single 512 GGB SSD.

Daniel.

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Sep 27, 2017
Long Beach, California
If possible, get one with a dedicated graphics card and an SSD and don't let the amount of memory be the deciding factor when purchasing.

For example, don't steer towards one with a 1TB HDD over a 256GB SSD, memory is cheap now so in that example - you can use the 256GB for the OS and Programs and attach an external (or cloud) service for all the other files.

I always stress people to go to their local BestBuy, MicroTrend, etc to try out the keyboards and look at the screens. Do you prefer a full-size keyboard? Is the screen not bright enough for you? Too heavy? that often gets overlooked and it's super important when deciding.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.