The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Laid off. Need a new temporary engineering job. How to use linkedin effectively?

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
I was laid off last week. Saw it coming but didn't think it would happen that fast. Fewer companies are hiring now until the election is over.

I realize that the best way to get a job is to pick ten companies I want to work for and network to get the job.

Is linkedin the best tool to do this?
There is a paid linkedin membership to send messages. Has anybody tried that?
I have been coldcalling smaller local companies, random job board posts, etc.

I'm in Texas. I moved down here last year without a job and got lucky with a decent job. So I'm not about to move back up north anytime soon.

My longterm fastlane business is almost finished with development. It will take about 6-8 months (initially free membership) to get to the point where I can monetize it. And I will run out of cash before then.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
Not really sure as I'm not too active on LinkedIn or familiar with the platform (I need to get into that,) but why aren't companies hiring until the election is over?

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Not really sure as I'm not too active on LinkedIn or familiar with the platform (I need to get into that,) but why aren't companies hiring until the election is over?

My understanding is most companies tend to stash cash until the election is over to see what the outcome is and what happens once the candidate is in office and the world is responding to it. It tends to happen if you review big companies financials you can see their storing more and more cash to be liquid and they take less risks.

- I seem to remember having my accountant talk to me about this but I am not well educated on it.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
taxes, healthcare, predicted economy growth. It's mainly for smaller businesses though

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
don't pay any attention to economic trends. Fewer companies are hiring means that some companies are still hiring. If a company desperately needs an engineer, they will hire one, regardless of what's happening economically.

Some businesses even boomed throughout the Great Depression...popcorn, for example, was a great business to be in back then. 30% unemployment meant that 70% of the people still had jobs. A lot of people were paid less, but some people still rose to the top...and made a killing.

I wouldn't bother with LinkedIn right now...go talk to all the people that you know. Literally all of them. Let them know that you're looking for work. Ask them for any ideas or leads. That's how I found my last job. Its also how I find some of the business that I bring in to my company, too.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
don't pay any attention to economic trends. Fewer companies are hiring means that some companies are still hiring. If a company desperately needs an engineer, they will hire one, regardless of what's happening economically.

Some businesses even boomed throughout the Great Depression...popcorn, for example, was a great business to be in back then. 30% unemployment meant that 70% of the people still had jobs. A lot of people were paid less, but some people still rose to the top...and made a killing.

I wouldn't bother with LinkedIn right now...go talk to all the people that you know. Literally all of them. Let them know that you're looking for work. Ask them for any ideas or leads. That's how I found my last job. Its also how I find some of the business that I bring in to my company, too.
About linkedin, for example, I knew a friend that worked in my area on a rotation. I'm connected with him on linkedin. I saw a manager that he was connected to at a company I would like to work for. The manager saw my request and connection with my friend and he accepted it. So now I will reach out to him.

But yes you are right. It's who you know, referrals

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Fewer companies are hiring now until the election is over.

That is a limiting belief. If you have an engineering degree and any level of competence / skill, you are in very short supply. PM me. If near ATL, you have your first interview!

LinkedIn paid allows you to send DM's. Worth a look for a few months of costs. You might do better with referrals at first. Update your Title to 'xxxx engineer looking for work'. That will get the recruiters circling. Then blast your network asking if anyone has any leads for you to chase. Chase hard.

Don't forget to hit craigslist. Post a resume. AND search for engineering jobs. Got our last few staff members from there.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I was laid off last week. Saw it coming but didn't think it would happen that fast. Fewer companies are hiring now until the election is over.

I realize that the best way to get a job is to pick ten companies I want to work for and network to get the job.

I'm in Texas. I moved down here last year without a job and got lucky with a decent job. So I'm not about to move back up north anytime soon.

My longterm fastlane business is almost finished with development. It will take about 6-8 months (initially free membership) to get to the point where I can monetize it. And I will run out of cash before then.

Not until the election is over.

Companies won't be hiring again until 2017.
Probably February.

The best jobs never come from job boards, or LinkedIn. The best job comes from within your network, if you have one. You need someone to refer you to someone.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
For several years I've kept resumes on Monster, CareerBuilder, etc...and every time I update the resume I get a flood of emails & phone calls from companies & head hunters. Many of them have been contract engineering positions, but often from far flung locales. Give it a try.

G

GuestUser450

Not until the election is over.

Companies won't be hiring again until 2017.
Probably February.

The best jobs never come from job boards, or LinkedIn. The best job comes from within your network, if you have one. You need someone to refer you to someone.

Agree that an inside referral beats all but I'd argue LinkedIn can do that. It seems like a waste for most entrepreneurs because it's a slowlane medium for ladder-climbers. But as an overeducated former ladder-climber, I'll confirm that it can be leveraged to find well-paid work, quickly.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta

What Industry?

I may have a lead for you. Renewable Energy Industry.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
What Industry?

I may have a lead for you. Renewable Energy Industry.
Manufacturing, metal fabrication. I'm in Dallas-ft worth.
B.S. mechanical, but I prefer the manufacturing side, project management, estimator. Age 24 btw.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
About linkedin, for example, I knew a friend that worked in my area on a rotation. I'm connected with him on linkedin. I saw a manager that he was connected to at a company I would like to work for. The manager saw my request and connection with my friend and he accepted it. So now I will reach out to him.

But yes you are right. It's who you know, referrals
Save your money and don't bother with the Premium membership. Sure you can 'InMail' people outside your network but it doesn't mean they'll reply.

Best option, get your connection count over 500, get endorsements for your skills, but most importantly is to ask people to post a recommendation for your profile. Having real people who you've worked with endorse your skills and past work with a testimonial will help with your street cred.

Having said all that, your profile won't secure you a job. And, in my opinion, it's next to impossible to find a good job that doesn't get posted by an HR group. Business policies being what they are these days, most vacancies need to be posted externally for at least a few days.

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
If companies aren't hiring until the election is over someone forgot to tell the companies in Atlanta looking for Engineers. I swear I get spammed by recruiters for positions every day. Actually just today I got 2 asking if I was looking.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.