The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lack of ideas to start business

Idea threads

Arlec

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 22, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm at a point in my life where I want to get started on something...anything to get some experience with starting a business. The problem, is that nothing has struck me lately with that "A-HA" moment to start me in the direction to do so.

Does anyone else had this problem? If so, any helpful tips to guide me in the right direction?

Thanks.

-Alec

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
"Steal" someone's idea. find something that someone else is doing that's making money that you can do too.

Do it, and do it better. The market has already been proven for you, customer's validated. Most businesses are not "new", they are doing the same thing that other's are currently doing.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
"Steal" someone's idea. find something that someone else is doing that's making money that you can do too.

Do it, and do it better. The market has already been proven for you, customer's validated. Most businesses are not "new", they are doing the same thing that other's are currently doing.

Bingo. Even people who think they have new ideas find out that their idea isn't new in the least.

If something pisses people off about a certain company, product or service, your job is to do it better.

jljtech

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 12, 2012
Florida
Sadly i will have to agree. Look for opportunities in which you can outshine and out perform your existing competition. Your "AH-HA" moment will arrive. Just make sure you are wiling to accept it when it does.

The key is to do SOMETHING! TAKE ACTION!

You will never know unless you try. Try and don't be afraid to fail. Failure or "roadblocks" are learning experiences. Use them to your advantage.

One of my favorite quotes is this: "There are three keys to success in business. Be first, be smarter, or cheat. I dont cheat!"

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Last edited by a moderator:

longlivemedia

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 8, 2012
Houston, TX
Which part of the start-up are you actually at a lost? If you are thinking on what to start with. You should just allow things to settle down first, observe the world and be vigilant to whatever the market needs or wants.

MCD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2011
If you haven't read The Millionaire Fastlane yet, you will pick up a lot of great tips in that book. Basically, it all boils down to finding a need and filling it. Finding a need is really about having the right mindset in order to see what you might otherwise be oblivious to. Whenever something annoys you, inconveniences you etc., there is a potential money making opportunity, you just need to learn to recognize it. I'm not saying it's easy, I have a lot of trouble with it, but it certainly can be done. Just keep learning about business and keep your eyes open for any opportunities.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Dude I JUST blogged about this. EastWind is right. Forget about this whole "never been done before" business ideas. Do something that is already being done and take market share from them by just working harder and smarter.

minirich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 4, 2016
Austria

Ideas that nobody has tried before tend to be not feasible, or are not marketable.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
Read your post....

Everybody has had this problem at least once...or still does. Once you start something you won't look back. One important thing I highly recommend not to do is looking online for the answer. Don't do it! I did that and went in circles for a long time. Think about how you can service a large network of people. When I was younger, I had a large network of young people and got into the event space because everyone liked to party...I threw my own parties. This is just an example...Where is your network? If you don't have one, build one. Maybe it's local...How can you service local businesses and charge them monthly. When you draw up ideas, start pitching them through emails and in person. Maybe it's through a coupon book or a free local magazine that sells ad space. Maybe it's managing their website or maybe it's power washing their front windows. Find your customer, find out what they need or could use, and sell it to them. The unsexy business that pays well is so much better then the super sexy business that leaves you broke!

Hey guys,

I'm at a point in my life where I want to get started on something...anything to get some experience with starting a business. The problem, is that nothing has struck me lately with that "A-HA" moment to start me in the direction to do so.

Does anyone else had this problem? If so, any helpful tips to guide me in the right direction?

Thanks.

-Alec

G

Guest34764

You don't have to come up with something revolutionary, just take an idea already and use and do it better than anyone else.

This should be the motto to become a millionaire.

MR curious

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 20, 2017
india
Hey guys,

Thanks.
read mfl and unscripted then find ideas and test if there is a market for the product and look if people are willing to pay money or take existing consept/poorley met needs and execute it well.
THE KEY IS TO TAKE ACTION . ASSES AND ADJUST ON THE WAY(WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT WE NEED UNTIL WE GET THERE).

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
I had the same problem. My solution was to teach myself an online skill I could sell. Quit my job in nine months - Think web design, copywriting, PPC, funnel building, video editing Etc.

When your in business you start to pick up opportunities.

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Are you any good at internet providing? Xfinity is awful and their customer service sucks.

ButGregSaid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Aug 9, 2017
Michigan
Hey guys,

Thanks.

-Alec

I know a lot of people in this thread are saying 'steal someone else's idea and make it better' etc etc... Sure, that works pretty well, but let me offer you another suggestion that I think you may not necessarily be considering - If you read MFL you've probably seen his excerpt about finding ideas. Specifically the part where he's cleaning bacon grease off his frying pan and he mutters "I hate this crap". BAM, product idea!

Have you actually paid attention to what you complained about during your day to day routine? I run into things every single day - I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and wish there was a Mediterranean restaurant... IDEA! I hate always having dog hair on my carpet... IDEA! I hate it when cops tailgate me.... Okay maybe don't capitalize on that one - but I hope you get the gyst.

When you wake up tomorrow, commit to recognizing each and every time you complain, and look for the opportunity in that. Even if it's because you hate your boss... Don't like your boss? Be a people leader consultant.

Product improvement is one way to capitalize, but people also go after things that solve their own problems. That's how you know it's worth something. Alternatively, there's a lot of unexecuted ideas on the INSIDERS' Forum - and you could check there if you're willing to pay to be an INSIDERS. Think of it as an investment.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Brainstorm
Pick a random one and start on it
See where it goes

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Brainstorm
Pick a random one and start on it
See where it goes
Dude ideas should be easy for you, I suggest reading unscripted , nothing is perfect loads of things need improvement.

Here's one for you!

I'm a powerlifter if you can somehow invent a product that prevents callouses go for that it's a major problem and the market is huge.

Powerlifters dont like gloves as it hurts there lifts and they can't get a good grip on the bar.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Dude ideas should be easy for you, I suggest reading unscripted , nothing is perfect loads of things need improvement.

Here's one for you!

I'm a powerlifter if you can somehow invent a product that prevents callouses go for that it's a major problem and the market is huge.

Powerlifters dont like gloves as it hurts there lifts and they can't get a good grip on the bar.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YjAk_l71Vk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.