The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kyle Keegan Radio Show

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

As promised @Antifragile ! Glad to have you!

Thanks @Kak for having me on your show. As an avid listener it is a privilege to have been invited. And thanks again to @MJ DeMarco for making this place, your books and making it possible for people like me and Kyle to connect. That's a massive value that I hope all new members can see and take advantage.

To the listeners, I have gone a little long winded (lack of interview experience but a lot of stories to tell :rofl: ). We also had some technical challenges on my side and the voice is a little quieter, again lack of experience on my part. Hope you all enjoy it and get a little something out of it.

It's been a blast talking to Kyle, as always. Thanks again for having me on your show!

Edit: Kyle referenced photos I shared with him of one of our projects. For listeners, I’m posting pics here.
00E65B26-208B-4E8B-ABDC-E20D35ED5AB0.jpeg
A36DAA7D-2406-47C5-B6E7-B54E40F22D89.jpeg

And lifting panels for one of our industrial projects, pic from Friday:

image002.jpg

Lastly, an example of a finished industrial project:

DeonNelPhotography-IMG_2685-Edit-2.jpg
DeonNelPhotography-IMG_2735.jpg

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Thanks @Kak for having me on your show. As an avid listener it is a privilege to have been invited. And thanks again to @MJ DeMarco for making this place, your books and making it possible for people like me and Kyle to connect. That's a massive value that I hope all new members can see and take advantage.

To the listeners, I have gone a little long winded (lack of interview experience but a lot of stories to tell :rofl: ). We also had some technical challenges on my side and the voice is a little quieter, again lack of experience on my part. Hope you all enjoy it and get a little something out of it.

It's been a blast talking to Kyle, as always. Thanks again for having me on your show!
No apologies necessary. I was egging you on anyway. Great episode bro. I would have been fine with 2 hours of that’s what it took. :thumbsup:

Your average loudness is dead on, exactly the same as mine. It is all -16 LUFS. I just swing harder with it.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
@Kak @Antifragile

Thank you both for a great episode. It's always interesting to hear how people's experiences shaped them.

I loved that you mentioned having a conversation with deceased authors through their books.

That is a concept I first read about in "The Great Conversation" which is in Volume 1 of the Great Books of the Western World by Robert Hutchins and Mortimer J Adler. In their work, they discussed how the authors of the great books had a conversation with each other as newer great books emerged. The authors referred to or refined the thoughts of previous authors. The set of books is very worthwhile getting if you like to read outside of business and you want to track how major concepts such as Love, for example, were defined and addressed by the authors of the Great Books. Many scientific notions in the science volumes have since been further refined as well, but these were the foundational texts.

The book set has a lot of detractors because it doesn't encompass Eastern thought and there weren't enough people of color. That's not the point of the set. These are arguably the books that most shaped Western civilization and shaped the greatest thinkers and publishers of that knowledge.

Since I've mentioned them, I should also mention Adler's book, "How to Read a Book", which addresses how to best get the most out of a book, how to make it your own, and to have your own conversation with the author.

Since, there have been a few episodes mentioning communications, I also would like to recommend this lecture about speaking by Patrick Henry Winston, the great AI writer and professor. Note that this is not about making a sales presentation, but about good communications. Some of these ideas are used throughout sales. He just doesn't call them out the same way. This is academic, but I found it very useful.
View: https://youtu.be/Unzc731iCUY

Thanks again

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
@thechosen1 thank you for your kind words.

@Boogie thank you for your feedback and sharing the video. It is academic but good. I had a few flashbacks:
1st to my time as a student, listening to academics with the fear of "will this be on our exam?" :eek:
2nd to the time when I was the speaker at my university (SFU) :blush:

I agree wholeheartedly with the importance of communication. [edit: the video is so good, I shared it with all my staff]

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I loved it @Antifragile

I’m used to joe rogan 3 hour episodes so it didn’t seem long or long winded at all to me, it actually felt to short.

I like how you mention being a leader or organiser so that everyone has to talk to you and knows you, and then when Kyle suggested that was your tip you said well only if there’s no other leader, if there’s already a leader then help them. You don’t have to be important just be useful. Something like that anyway, sorry if I’m misquoting you.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks @MitchC for the kind comments! Thanks brother.

only if there’s no other leader, if there’s already a leader then help them

Yes, exactly that.

I see two types of leadership: soft and hard. Hard is when you have the title, the "crown". Everyone knows you are the leader because it's hard written - CEO, President, Director etc. The soft leadership is someone who's at the event, sees some garbage lying on the floor and picks it up. Then sees a chair in the way of traffic and moves it, sees a small person from the venue trying to move a bigger table to make room and helps them. I promise you one thing - that person who's helping like that will get noticed. I tried to be that guy first and soon after I offered to raise money for events, then got elected to run them etc.

I didn't want listeners to think that overnight with some magic I just got 1,000 people in my industry to show up to events with no prior network, money or experience. Like a business, it starts somewhere small and grows. And it can grow fast!

The wrong way of doing it is to come up to the leader and ask "can I have your job please?". You may laugh if you think this is ridiculous, but I lost count the number of times I was asked that for our networking group. Always the same type of person, someone who's objective is shortcut recognition. To get the title but do least amount of work. To me that's lazy and ego talking. And those guys, to this day I don't think they amounted to much, still seeking that shortcut, that unicorn.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sounds like a good episode. I agree about doing all those little things to make a business a better place - people spot it and cream rises to the top.

You don’t have to be important just be useful.
I agree with this too.

An example is how everyone seems to be trying to grow their own forums or Facebook groups when you could simply join someone else’s and add value to the owner and community. What do you have to own it (aka be the leader by title)?

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Finally was able to listen to the episode with @Antifragile. I got a new phone and of course that meant my phone didn't like the Bluetooth in my car any longer..

Anyway, I loved this episode. Thank you for your background info, networking tips, and of course the part towards the end about responsibility. Kyle-- Looking forward to more guests!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@MTF I finally did it. Lol. :rofl:

In this episode, I feature a segment of a video by CEO of Consulting.com Sam Ovens as basically my opposing viewpoint, but did his viewpoint really oppose mine? Or, was he talking about something else entirely?

It's this video
View: https://youtu.be/SQ5WuEtsMt0

What I got out of his discussion was not to sacrifice efficiency or expand your CEO role to encompass things a CEO shouldn't, for the sake of size or even unprofitable revenue. Shockingly, it was a message I can totally agree with.

So, enterprise vs lifestyle. It isn't either-or and actually, it is ironic that the proof of a more enjoyable lifestyle is on the side of "enterprise" if you turn your eyes to reality. One mindset embraces the cornerstone of wealth creation and the other can't look at it straight in the eyes. LEVERAGE. WORK PREFORMED IN YOUR NAME.

So it boils down to a choice... Are you willing to let the company grow, obviously efficiently, or are you going to handicap it from the start because the growth makes you uncomfortable?

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Out of the slump and into your ears... I start off about talking about the personal slump I have been in, because 99% of business personalities won't do that and then move on to the importance of entrepreneurs in times like these.

Despite the catchy tune, it's bullshit. No one gets to a high level without sacrifice and discipline to push through the slumps unless it is handed to you by someone who did.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXzlRoNtHU

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"Cat chasing a laser pointer" LOL, love that.

Out of the slump and into your ears

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention a source for the slump? Family? Business? Health? Or just a general lull?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
"Cat chasing a laser pointer" LOL, love that.

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention a source for the slump? Family? Business? Health? Or just a general lull?

Tired from traveling and making move after move with little "movement." Discouragement mostly. It wasn't like some event that dragged me down, I just hit a wall last week and pressed in this week.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Out of the slump and into your ears... I start off about talking about the personal slump I have been in, because 99% of business personalities won't do that and then move on to the importance of entrepreneurs in times like these.

Despite the catchy tune, it's bullshit. No one gets to a high level without sacrifice and discipline to push through the slumps unless it is handed to you by someone who did.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXzlRoNtHU

Great episode @Kak. This is a stupid war.
The world is on fire. When it's all over we'll need entrepreneurs to fix the problems created today. 100% this. :fistbump:

Not so sure about public libraries comment, I am OK with keeping those. When I was poor, I used it as a source of "free" books. Books is one solution against the "cat chasing the laser pointer" problem. Books help us open our minds and think for ourselves.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Great episode @Kak. This is a stupid war.
The world is on fire. When it's all over we'll need entrepreneurs to fix the problems created today. 100% this. :fistbump:

Not so sure about public libraries comment, I am OK with keeping those. When I was poor, I used it as a source of "free" books. Books is one solution against the "cat chasing the laser pointer" problem. Books help us open our minds and think for ourselves.
Thanks bro!

But, screw public libraries. They are the leading cause of meningitis. :rofl: You weren't around yet for this gem:

I dare you to bump it. The forum needs that thread with all this war talk.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Awesome interview @Kak @Antifragile, really enjoyed the conversation.
Awesome, glad to hear it.

I feel like we could have continued for hours. Kyle and I chat offline too, so it wasn’t a typical media interview, felt more like friends talking and I enjoyed it.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Awesome, glad to hear it.

I feel like we could have continued for hours. Kyle and I chat offline too, so it wasn’t a typical media interview, felt more like friends talking and I enjoyed it.
I’d listen. I love long form podcasts. I feel like an hour is just enough to introduce yourself and skim over a bunch of talking points.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Everyone thinks the world, in terms of economics, has never been worse... Oh... It has...

We measure wealth over time in terms of STANDARD OF LIVING, not the monopoly money we call the USD or whatever other fiat currency you want to use. Entrepreneurs are responsible parties for the wealth we enjoy today.

Side note, now you guys can also see why I love podcasting so much. It's incredibly fast. I found out about this video at 10:30 AM ish CST... It is now 11:30 CST and a new episode about this video has been up for 20 minutes.

@MJ DeMarco Thanks for posting Kite & Key's video! It was gold for discussion.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T4UfXxYvqs

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Hey @Kak

I'd want a deeper dive into the 50 years ago vs now. I am not convinced that in the USA that standard of living is better now.

Specifically:
1. Life expectancy being a decade longer - but my question is this: what is the qualify of life in those extra 10 years? Think obesity, junk food.
2. Housing size went up by 60% and @Kak you say that's the measure of wealth, not money. I agree, but that assumes you own your house. Question is, do you own it if you have a 95% leverage mortgage?

Inflation you covered. Thank you. There is more to it. Consumption of goods over the last 50 years skyrocketed. We have more stuff, yes. And we have better emergency medicine (meaning antibiotics etc.) but the healthier lifestyle has been replaced by ... @MJ DeMarco 's description of Rat Race.

Are we talking about just wealthy entrepreneurs or the average American? I thing the answer to each will be different.

Maybe deeper dive on the next show? What say you?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hey @Kak

I'd want a deeper dive into the 50 years ago vs now. I am not convinced that in the USA that standard of living is better now.

Specifically:
1. Life expectancy being a decade longer - but my question is this: what is the qualify of life in those extra 10 years? Think obesity, junk food.
2. Housing size went up by 60% and @Kak you say that's the measure of wealth, not money. I agree, but that assumes you own your house. Question is, do you own it if you have a 95% leverage mortgage?

Inflation you covered. Thank you. There is more to it. Consumption of goods over the last 50 years skyrocketed. We have more stuff, yes. And we have better emergency medicine (meaning antibiotics etc.) but the healthier lifestyle has been replaced by ... @MJ DeMarco 's description of Rat Race.

Are we talking about just wealthy entrepreneurs or the average American? I thing the answer to each will be different.

I’ve got you covered bro! Looking forward to it.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
I’ve got you covered bro! Looking forward to it.
@Kak

This article is a little old (2016) but it shows that, adjusted for inflation, the price per square foot for a house is about the same over time since ~1973 (it ebbs and flows a bit, but it is pretty stable overall.

housing2.png

The article also says living space per person has doubled. I thought this info might help you with research for your show if you dig deeper on standard of living (just a piece of it, but still helpful).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

@Antifragile

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Hey @Kak

Specifically:

Ooooh this is going to be good.

I'm already having a guttural reaction to your points... So much of this is internal versus external locus of control, especially the larger versus smaller homes, as well as obesity.

Granted, if your entire state has nothing but 5,000 square foot houses, that's one thing, but I can't think of any places like that.

Discipline and appetite are in your control... The amount of food you load up on your plate, as well as the amount of house and debt you load up or bills you rack up on the credit card...

Quality of life is better. Those smaller houses are still available. You are responsible.

--
I agree on the mortgages. That's a problem with the Federal Reserve system and the socialist money printing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

@Antifragile

LOL at calling me out on stirring a discussion for the sake of stirring a discussion! :rofl: Kyle, I will publicly admit that in fact, I do believe that our standard of living is better than 1970 (although I wasn't alive back then yet and only know it theoretically). Kudos on calling me out on it.

But I did not just post to stir a discussion for no reason at all. I've met and talked to many people, young adults, students, employees who would say "my parents used to be able to live in a house and I can't even afford a condo". The reasons for asking more questions were to prompt a chat for those listeners who think that way.

Your points:
- You have to work less hard than in 1970 to get the same or better standard of living and care.
- We have more and larger cars. We get to travel more today than our parents etc.
- They bought cars for less money, but inflation took care of that difference, so again, you have to work less for your car.
- Living a decade longer isn't a bad thing. And fewer are starving.
- Ownership - we don't own anything. But we have some control even if a bank is another entity that too has control. So it doesn't matter how you go about getting that control. How much value did you have to create to achieve this control back in 1970s vs today?
- Love, absolutely love the reference to one of my all time favorite books "Men's search for meaning" - locus of control.

Great points. And lastly, but most important of all - people are less happy. More people are obese. More people accepted the "Rat Race" and keep working more to get even more stuff. It's like running faster on a treadmill.

And so we come full circle. Yes, the standard of living is better if you choose to live a particular way. But humans are humans, we compare ourselves to both the past we never saw and the current of "grass is greener on my neighbour's lawn". This creates competitiveness and instead of working less for a cheaper car, you get people leasing BMWs and committing to the "Rat Race" forever. This is an incredibly important topic for young people to understand.

You've talked a lot about money printing and inflation. Could be fun to dive deeper into the concept of Money (another episode?):

Money is a medium of exchange that should also be a storehold of wealth. Most of money as it stands today has no intrinsic value. They are just journal entries in an accounting ledger that can be changed (and are being changed!). What is the purpose of this system? To help allocate resources efficiently so that productivity can grow. Rewarding lenders and borrowers - this can happen but the system inevitably breaks at some point. We oscillate between paper (gold standard) money and fiat as part of a big cycle. Let's first agree that you cannot create more wealth by simply creating more money or more credit. To create wealth you must create productivity (value). To do that, you need to avoid inflation/deflation. So why does the gold standard peg always break? Why do governments inevitably always break this link and move to fiat?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.